Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    A thousands times this. Sure Barbara ended up getting the worst of it but came out of it as a stronger character later.
    Yup, she did. People may say that it was two writers making the best of a mess, but this allowed them the chance to really flesh out, and define/redefine her character for the better. She was so awesome as Oracle, compare to most of the crap that came before TKJ.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Which is not what happens in the story. It was other writers who had Barbara come out stronger than this, whereas she was just a plot device in the TKJ.
    She wasnt a plot device; just a tragedy. Jim was the plot device to get to Batman, and would've been whether, or not, the Joker shot her. Just like Jason was plot device to mess with Bruce, or Damian was a plot device to get some kind of emotional response from Bruce, with their deaths.

Also, the story wasn't about her so why would she overcome it in a short graphic novel with the focus not being on her? She got a whole bunch of material afterwards tho.

The drama surrounding this is already more entertaining than the story itself

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    A thousands times this. Sure Barbara ended up getting the worst of it but came out of it as a stronger character later.
    Even if she was made into a stronger character by other writers, that's not the story we're going to see adapted. If this is a faithful adaptation, all we're going to see is Barbara getting shot, stripped, photographed, and then in total shock in the hospital.
    This is different than Under the Red Hood because we see Jason's aftermath and what he became later because he's still the subject, not the object.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Even if she was made into a stronger character by other writers, that's not the story we're going to see adapted. If this is a faithful adaptation, all we're going to see is Barbara getting shot, stripped, photographed, and then in total shock in the hospital.
    This is different than Under the Red Hood because we see Jason's aftermath and what he became later because he's still the subject, not the object.
    But what he became later wasn't a redemption like it was for Barbara; he came back as another antagonist to get beaten by the Batgod. Barbara came back to have a huge positive influence on many characters; how do you show all of that in one movie, let alone a movie where she's not a focal point?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    It was said that the movie will have an all new prologue that will supplement the story. It could handle the aftermath before heading into the story proper.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoSlapsAll View Post
    But what he became later wasn't a redemption like it was for Barbara; he came back as another antagonist to get beaten by the Batgod. Barbara came back to have a huge positive influence on many characters; how do you show all of that in one movie, let alone a movie where she's not a focal point?
    It doesn't matter that it wasn't a redemption, you still get see Jason's story. The problem with Barbara's treatment in the Killing Joke is that she's maimed and then discarded without a second thought or follow up. There are ways they could fix this, but that would require changing the story a bit.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yup, she did. People may say that it was two writers making the best of a mess, but this allowed them the chance to really flesh out, and define/redefine her character for the better. She was so awesome as Oracle, compare to most of the crap that came before TKJ.
    It didn't "allow" them to redefine her, they redefined her despite what had happened. They could have easily done the same with her as an able bodied hero, but weren't allowed to.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    The drama surrounding this is already more entertaining than the story itself
    Seems like it.

I've said what I said anyway but I agree with the user who said it is dated. I agree to that a lot. It's dated like Mario Kart 64 (I said it)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Which is not what happens in the story. It was other writers who had Barbara come out stronger than this, whereas she was just a plot device in the TKJ.
    So what? Jason was a plot device to get Batman and Joker more heated and he's doing fine now. Dick Grayson was a plot device in Forever Evil. Batman got completely destroyed by Bane in Knightfall and nobody complained.

Maybe it's because Barbara is my least favorite Batgirl so I didn't feel a thing when it happened and like every other comic book character, she got over it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Seems like it.

I've said what I said anyway but I agree with the user who said it is dated. I agree to that a lot. It's dated like Mario Kart 64 (I said it)
    Being old makes it bad now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It didn't "allow" them to redefine her, they redefined her despite what had happened. They could have easily done the same with her as an able bodied hero, but weren't allowed to.
    Really, because she's been a able body hero for a while now, and has had that kind of influence on the Bat family since.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I guess DC animation has genuinely jumped the shark, and they've dragged down Timm with them. First the force feeding of the New 52 rubbish. Timm then treats us to violent and twisted versions of the Trinity, and when we finally get a story from the original DCU, it's Alan Moore's rapey rubbish.

Not interested at all.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Really, because she's been a able body hero for a while now, and has had that kind of influence on the Bat family since.
    Batgirl has been a pretty good book since the nu52 started and the most recent iteration is one of the best comics I've read in a long time and that success coupled with that of Gotham Academy has influenced the creation of books like Star Fire, Bizarro and a slew of others in the new wave which is a much more important influence than providing information to the characters in story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Batgirl has been a pretty good book since the nu52 started and the most recent iteration is one of the best comics I've read in a long time and that success coupled with that of Gotham Academy has influenced the creation of books like Star Fire, Bizarro and a slew of others in the new wave which is a much more important influence than providing information to the characters in story.
    Don't get me wrong, I didn't say that the Batgirl stories aren't good; I like what they've done with her.

I'm saying that she doesn't have the same influence over that Bat family, and it's obvious that she doesnt.