Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Wait, did Cypher die again?
    Secret Wars. Everything die.

We need canon fodder.

What they should do, yeah, is resuscitate a variation of Remender's scrapped Planet X v2 idea and sequester the more prominent X-Folk like Cyclops, Storm, Frost, Beast, etc for like a year or two to some beleaguered planet of sorts (for some grandiose and un-convoluted reason, of course), and subsequently after their unceremonious departure, the New Mutants, tNXM, GENX and other obscure characters resurface and establish a bonafide mutant community. There could be a title or two max that's about the off-world X-Men and the rest of the X-Titles would focus on everything that's happening on Earth with the up and coming mutant organizational structure and them finding their footing and finding themselves after the mastheads have just up and vanished--that'd initially be a perturbing situation for someone like Moonstar, and you could have other superhuman-related constituencies trying to muscle in on the structural liability, while Moonstar and co. are all like: no.

You could have an X-Force, X-Men and X-Factor title that STRICTLY features aforementioned deviant/obscure characters in concordance with established mandate (EVOCATIVE mandates, mind you), and then you could have an EXiles/X-Treme X-Menesque series that focuses on the old guard and their familial recuperation through traditional heroism and stuff (ala Claremont's lil Sh'iar arc post-X-tinction Agenda). That way everyone's around but not congested...kind of.
    Last edited by DavidMunroe; 07-11-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Most of the recent young mutants are one note jokes or obvious tokenism, if we didn't get any new ones a while we wouldn't be missing anything.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

BANNED

Y'know one of the unfortunate things about the X-kids, is right now Marvel is on a big diversity push. Now look at the KYost New X-Men:

Dust was one of the early major Muslim superheroes, at least under Marvel (though M preceded her by about a decade, I believe), and I would say is quite rare in being a very positive depiction of a conservative Muslim, at that.

Prodigy is both African-American, and though not during the run of the series, was later revealed to be bisexual.

Anole is homosexual. I thought I'd read somewhere he's Jewish as well (his surname certainly sounds like it could be), but I'm less sure of that

Surge is Japanese. As in FROM Japan, not Japanese-American.

Rockslide is...well...Rockslide. And he's Italian-American, so that counts for half, at least.

Although both are Caucasian, you have two other women with X-23 and Mercury.

Really the closest KYost's core team had to the typical WASP-ish "All-American White Boy" were Hellion and Elixir.

Really the closest KYost's core team had to the typical WASP-ish "All-American White Boy" were Hellion and Elixir.
    And both were portrayed as idiots until they bought out their sensitive side. Well Elixir more so Hellion was still kind of an idiot lol. Now I think about it that book was really girl-centric when you think about who the main characters were and who got a lot of panel time. They also were not portrayed as the girlfriend character attachment to male characters like some of the earlier material in New Mutants Vol 2 and Academy X. They stood up as strong characters on their own.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    And both were portrayed as idiots until they bought out their sensitive side. Well Elixir more so Hellion was still kind of an idiot lol. Now I think about it that book was really girl-centric when you think about who the main characters were and who got a lot of panel time. They also were not portrayed as the girlfriend character attachment to male characters like some of the earlier material in New Mutants Vol 2 and Academy X. They stood up as strong characters on their own.
    Yep. Granted, Wallflower got fridged fairly early, and Wind Dancer was depowered and put on a (non-exploding) bus right from the start, which pretty much ended the two main romantic plotlines carrying over from DePhillippis and Weir. Although having recently read through the entire run up through the end of House of M (including the annual), I have to say the only one I really missed was Laurie, especially because of the dangling plot thread with her father that was never resolved. I didn't think Sofia really added all that much to the book, and was really pretty bland as a character.

The only DePhillippis/Weir ship that survived any appreciable length of time under KYost was Surge and Prodigy, and even that only lasted about the first three arcs and was done by the end of Quest For Magik.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Yes. They are canon fodder, a distraction, and they muddle up any story they are a part of. Been doing that since the X-Mansion became a babysitting service, Wolverine lost his shirt, and everyone started wearing leather jackets, following the first movie. Get rid of the whole lot except maybe a hard a dozen. Place them in their own book like New Mutants or Generation-X. Or burn them. Burn them with fire and scatter ashes in the Negative Zone. You know... where Marvel is throwing like every other popular X-Men character after SW.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    That's a problem with too many characters imo. Not just Marvel as well. In DC Roy Harper lost a arm. Why the hell did Zatanna not say "arm regrow" backwards.
    Because her powers don't work like that. She can't affect anything organic.

World needs more Mercury, bring me my adorable T-1000 superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Because her powers don't work like that. She can't affect anything organic.
    I did not know that thanks. Still in a world of superheroes, high technology and magic. All Roy could get was a robotic arm. It's like the writers throw realism out the window or use it on a whim when it suits them imo.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Mighty Member

To me what messed up the younger mutants were Gen X not having a longer run i.e. more members( Gaia was pretty much it as far as an added character, Blink was killed, she should have returned before the run was over, Coredila and Mondo storyline was ended, Torres never went anywhere and the rival group was like 1 or 2 issues. Ev and ANgelo being killed also hurt Gen X over all as well).

Also the introduction of the squads did not help. In theory this works and I liked the squads but felt short changed because so many interesting characters(Tag,Network, DJ, Kidgoo) were killed but it also put too many characters on the board with limited space. We have had a few marginal characters that have gotten some development outside of the main hellion and new mutant squads(this includes Quentin and the others that were introduced slightly before these guys I believe) i.e. Trance, Bling, Anole,Loa Match and most especially Pixie but before we can get use to them we get the Five Lights with 2 of the 5 being decent and then we get the all new xmen along with all of these weird looking no humanoid mutants in the latest iteration of the Kid book.

Side note: Thank god for MIke Carey because with out him the kids would have been in worst shape as he took some and fleshed them out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoSlapsAll View Post
    That's the problem. Why can more of these older characters die off permanently, or just retire from active duty?

Also, the NXM kids could always form a new X-Factor.
    Or their own team....with black jack and hookers!

Y'know one of the unfortunate things about the X-kids, is right now Marvel is on a big diversity push. Now look at the KYost New X-Men:

Dust was one of the early major Muslim superheroes, at least under Marvel (though M preceded her by about a decade, I believe), and I would say is quite rare in being a very positive depiction of a conservative Muslim, at that.

Prodigy is both African-American, and though not during the run of the series, was later revealed to be bisexual.

Anole is homosexual. I thought I'd read somewhere he's Jewish as well (his surname certainly sounds like it could be), but I'm less sure of that

Surge is Japanese. As in FROM Japan, not Japanese-American.

Rockslide is...well...Rockslide. And he's Italian-American, so that counts for half, at least.

Although both are Caucasian, you have two other women with X-23 and Mercury.

Mercury is also Bi

Indra was Indian

Loa was half-Hawaiian

the New X-Men were diverse before diverse became mainstream.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post

the New X-Men were diverse before diverse became mainstream.

newmutants.jpg

Girl....

genx.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoSlapsAll View Post
    That's the problem. Why can more of these older characters die off permanently, or just retire from active duty?

Also, the NXM kids could always form a new X-Factor.
    The unfortunate reality of mainstream comics is that progress like you're describing will not permanently happen. The closest thing you'll get is Wally West (a sidekick) taking over for his dead mentor for 25 years but even that did not last.