View Poll Results: What do you think about Grayson?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fantastic Idea, it will be HUGE!

14 16.67%
  • It will last for as long as it needs

24 28.57%
  • mixed reviews, good sales, it might last a couple of years

31 36.90%
  • It wont sell, it will make at most 12 issues

8 9.52%
  • It will be remember as one of the New 52 worst

5 5.95%
  • Other

2 2.38%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Going back to Nightwing was a demotion the minute he put on Batman's cape and cowl. No offense but there were a lot of arguments on here after it was confirmed Dick was returning to Nightwing. And on one side you had Nightwing fans saying it wasn't a demotion because that's Dick's real identity (as though it's anymore his real identity than Robin or Batman was) and that he could be placed as an equal to Batman.

I think we all have seen how that turned out. I could barely stomach the first issue of Higgins Nightwing because it felt like the character had been stripped of stature. It was so hard to care about anything that was going on in that book. Especially compared to the guy who was running Gotham, leading top selling books, having the critically acclaimed Black Mirror arc, the critically acclaimed Batman and Robin run, and leading the Justice League on top of that. Fact of the matter is, Nightwing as an identity spent too many decades being of lesser stature than Batman. And now that's his position. When a character like Superman or Green Lantern or even Constantine walks into a Batman book, they have their own level of autonomy and respect that suggests even though they are in Batman's world they are of equal importance. Nightwing always feels like he's Batman's top aide.
    This didn't really have as much to do with him being "demoted back to Nightwing" as it did with DC dumping his entire history and experiences. He went from being the late twenty-something that had been a leader to a 19 year old with out nearly as much experience. He could be Nightwing and still stand shoulder to shoulder with Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman...but not nearly as effectively after they slashed most of his history.

BANNED

I don't think it's even intended to last more than a year before they bring back the Nightwing identity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't think it's even intended to last more than a year before they bring back the Nightwing identity.
    Nah. I think they'll give it two years. Three years more than that is a bit of a stretch, only because they'll eventually have a Batman event where the whole family will be needed.

Spectacular Member

Its success is only dependant on how many give it a chance, the fanbase is there but not unified, if it fails it fails but i would hope thats because people read and disliked it rather than - "awful idea, i'm not reading that"

If you're a fan of Nightwing you're a fan of Dick Grayson, he is still there and the mission actually does feel big enough to go undercover for, this has bigger ramifications than the Batfamily this can tie in to the entire DCU and what most said was lost from Dick Grayson was his attachment to so many characters; Titans, JL, Outsiders and so forth - its fair to say his relationship with them would grow if he saved their identity being exposed

I'm looking forward to it - 7/8 months ago i thoughet he was being killed off, 4 months ago i thought he was being replaced by Harper Row, 2 months ago i thought he was in a book revolving around Bluebird! - i'll take this over any of them

I think this is a finite series. DC is simply taking a short break from Nightwing while keeping Dick Grayson around. Probably 18-24 issues, then we'll see Dick become Nightwing again. Sales won't really matter.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This didn't really have as much to do with him being "demoted back to Nightwing" as it did with DC dumping his entire history and experiences. He went from being the late twenty-something that had been a leader to a 19 year old with out nearly as much experience. He could be Nightwing and still stand shoulder to shoulder with Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman...but not nearly as effectively after they slashed most of his history.
    True.

DC will obviously push this new direction because of the potential money.

Dick as Nightwing is over

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    I knows it's likely too early to call but I think this it will stick. The DC range can use a property like this in their line up, it's more distinct and useful than Nightwing and I think the higher ups will push it even when Seeley eventually leaves the title. The thing is, the character can always suit up for brief spells as Nightwing whenever they want and justify it in-story, and it will be kind of charming and nostalgic to see that once in a while, but once he's moved there's really no going back and the Jason Bourne style hoodie over ops gear will remain the standard 10 years from now.
    I feel the same. As far as I know, Dick Grayson himself is better known than the Nightwing identity, so bringing it back isn't much of a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This didn't really have as much to do with him being "demoted back to Nightwing" as it did with DC dumping his entire history and experiences. He went from being the late twenty-something that had been a leader to a 19 year old with out nearly as much experience.
    Though, he was actually Batman during the New 52. I think the problem was in finding a way to sell "Batman 2."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I feel the same. As far as I know, Dick Grayson himself is better known than the Nightwing identity, so bringing it back isn't much of a necessity.

Though, he was actually Batman during the New 52. I think the problem was in finding a way to sell "Batman 2."
    I would have just said to give Dick Detective Comics.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah but Detective, Bats, and Nightwing were three separate titles that sold quite well. Maybe sales would have just gone up on Detective, but there was definitely money to be made from the people who bought a combination of the three.

I know the new interview has its own thread, but I think a lot of what they went into is relevant here. Though, sadly, quality of direction won't be THAT big of a factor will it comes to financial success.

BANNED

Default Stop it! Grayson isn't a temporary direction

I keep seeing these messages, "Don't worry, Dick is going back to Nightwing soon" etc.

No guys, do you even realize how much money this could make for DC? A lot.

Unless Grayson fails which is highly unlikely, I don't see Dick returning as Nightwing again.

What makes you say that?
    History isnt exactly on your side.

I doubt itll even mirror Nightwings sales number simply on merit of no longer being a "superhero" book.

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    I keep seeing these messages, "Don't worry, Dick is going back to Nightwing soon" etc.

Unless Grayson fails which is highly unlikely, I don't see Dick returning as Nightwing again.
    So, you're a DC employ who's been involved in all the planning and discussions involving the creation of this book?

Yeah, it may be premature to talk about when Dick goes back to being Nightwing, but you're equally stubborn if you're saying "Unless Grayson fails which is highly unlikely, I don't see Dick returning as Nightwing again" without any FACTS to support that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post

Do you realize how easily this can fail in front of DC's eyes? They are more likely gonna get a big short burst of cash from this no doubt but then it'll go downhill eventually cause this ain't the Dick Grayson everybody knows and love or It's just not a good story and people will drop it.

Superhero Comic Books are now mostly short term with all major character changes to main Heroes like look at Superior Spider-Man, Dick Grayson as Batman, Bucky as Captain America, Superman's Death, or ext. all things don't last long and this is no exception.

I can't see Grayson having legs as far as sales go