Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    i'm taking a "wait and see" attitude. 100% of DC's involvement with MILESTONE, post Dwayne's death, has been shitty and, indeed, DC editorial and "Creative" directors have pretty much shat on every iteration of Milestone that wasn't under Dwayne's DIRECT control.

Wait and see.

Johns being involved doesn't make me happy.
    At least concerning the Static mess, both Rozum and McDaniel (the latter, inadvertently) place the blame solely on Harvey Richards, who used to be a Milestone editor:

http://johnrozum.blogspot.com/2012/0...tic-shock.html

http://scottmcdaniel.net/interviews/...ATICSHOCK.html

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    At least concerning the Static mess, both Rozum and McDaniel (the latter, inadvertently) place the blame solely on Harvey Richards, who used to be a Milestone editor:

http://johnrozum.blogspot.com/2012/0...tic-shock.html

http://scottmcdaniel.net/interviews/...ATICSHOCK.html
    this misstates how editorial structure works. SENIOR editorial tells JUNIOR editorial how to proceed. They are not autonomous entities, doing whatever they like. McDaniel should never have been involved in the "Fixing" of Static because the character wasn't broken in the first place. DC has always assumed there was something intrinsically wrong with the Milestone Universe and thus its characters need fixing if they're going to be in the DCU (which, thank God, they no longer will be).

This is why the books failed.

That's the past. Maybe the future will be better. I hope so. But Johns being on board makes my flesh crawl with what we may see when he starts "fixing" the Dakota universe.

It's good to see them back, hopefully they will make something of it and hope with this DC will also have a few Multiverse shenanigans planed.

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    I am talking about major characters. I see that Xombi is Korean, but their 3 major characters - Icon, Hardware, and Static Shock are all black males. Women don't seem to be represented all that well.
    Women not represented ? Dig up some back issues my friend .

this misstates how editorial structure works. SENIOR editorial tells JUNIOR editorial how to proceed. They are not autonomous entities, doing whatever they like. McDaniel should never have been involved in the "Fixing" of Static because the character wasn't broken in the first place. DC has always assumed there was something intrinsically wrong with the Milestone Universe and thus its characters need fixing if they're going to be in the DCU (which, thank God, they no longer will be).

This is why the books failed.

That's the past. Maybe the future will be better. I hope so. But Johns being on board makes my flesh crawl with what we may see when he starts "fixing" the Dakota universe.
    Rozum said this:

I was stunned by how unprofessionally I was being treated by my editor, with whom I'd previously had nothing but a positive working relationship with for the bulk of my career in comics, and by Scott McDaniel, who seemed like a nice, personable guy, and the interactions he's had with his fans that I've read would indicate really is one. My negative experience was exclusively with these two people and not with anyone else at DC Comics, or with DC as a whole. As I said, no one knew any of this was happening until I quit and let the executives at DC know why. Anyone who wants to believe that my experience was some general DC policy would be wrong to think that. Bob Harras, Geoff Johns, Dan Didio, and Jim Lee did not tell Harvey Richards to reject all of my contributions on this. Harvey decided that, himself. All of my other experiences with a variety of people at DC going back to the 90s have been overwhelmingly positive. Again, they handled the situation, once I quit, rather well, I thought.
    Johns is hit-or-miss, but he does bring a ton of name recognition. Plus, there's less to worry about, given that this is still being overseen by the Milestone TPTB.

The fact that both Johns and Lee are involved might indicate that DC is actually taking this seriously.

Rozum said this:

Johns is hit-or-miss, but he does bring a ton of name recognition. Plus, there's less to worry about, given that this is still being overseen by the Milestone TPTB.

The fact that both Johns and Lee are involved might indicate that DC is actually taking this seriously.
    DC "taking it seriously" is exactly the problem. Potentially. It's not like there are different people in charge. Johns is the guy who castrated Cyborg. I'm not optimistic about him having anything to with the Milestone characters. The track record is totally shit. I'm giving this thing one chance. They have used up their benefit of the doubt.

And, i reiterate: series editors take their marching orders from EXECUTIVE level editors. they do not operate autonomously. Rozum's treatment was the result of the bosses giving directives. The end.
    Last edited by Redjack; 07-11-2015 at 01:11 PM.

DC "taking it seriously" is exactly the problem. Potentially. It's not like there are different people in charge. Johns is the guy who castrated Cyborg. I'm not optimistic about him having anything to with the Milestone characters. The track record is totally shit. I'm giving this thing one chance. They have used up their benefit of the doubt.
    Still, other than Morrison, John's name is still one of the best ways to draw attention to an IP, and also ensure that a large number of the current comic buying audience actually care about whatever IP and the attention they're receiving.

Unless your name is Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Deadpool, or X-Men, a book will have serious troubles selling to the current audience without a big-name or superstar creator attached.

Note, that I didn't include Wonder Woman, because even she struggles with this.

"Castrate" Cyborg?

You're saying that Johns is going to "castrate" Milestone characters?

And, i reiterate: series editors take their marching orders from EXECUTIVE level editors. they do not operate autonomously. Rozum's treatment was the result of the bosses giving directives. The end.
    I dunno.

This implies that...

A.) Rozum is lying, and

B.) in a failed attempt to defend himself while still ending up corroborating Rozum's version of events anyway, McDaniel is concocting some sort of elaborate ruse.
    Last edited by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n; 07-11-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sansomon View Post
    Wondering why this view never really thought about doing an Icon Boy, one Icon Girl, one, Icon Woman, a young girl female version of Static Shock, a Hardware female version equivalent to Pepper Potts / Rescue , a female version of Dharma, a female version of Kobalt and the most prominent male heroes of Earth in the Universe Milestone Dakota ... but I think it was not deliberate or intended to Dwayne McDuffie he just should not have thought much about it in time to correct this fact but now it is possible to creation of Earth-M
    In Icon's case (like others have said) Icon's book was really about Rocket.Plus Rocket ends up taking the mantle of Icon anyway.So having a female Icon running Around was kind of redundant.
    In Hardware's case they did briefly have his love interest take up the title of Technique.
    Static already had a female antihero in his books which he worked with for a time
    Like others have said Milestone already had female heros so the was no need to create 'boy/girl' versions of a character.

Hopefully the bridges haven't been burned between Rozum & DC, would love to read more Xombi from him.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

On another topic, maybe this means DC and Milestone can work out a way for all their old back issues to finally be available digitally.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Still, other than Morrison, John's name is still one of the best ways to draw attention to an IP, and also ensure that a large number of the current comic buying audience actually care about whatever IP and the attention they're receiving.

"Castrate" Cyborg?

This poster is referring to the fact that the latest version of Cyborg lost his genetalia as part of the body parts he lost in the accident that led to him becoming Cyborg. He feels this indicated poor decision-making on Johns' part and Johns might make similar mistakes with other characters, although not necessarily that same specific thing.

no. it's a question based on complete ignorance of the subject matter. if you don't know what you're talking about, you shouldn't be talking. QED.
    Can't be better said..

Unless your name is Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Deadpool, or X-Men, a book will have serious troubles selling to the current audience without a big-name or superstar creator attached.

Note, that I didn't include Wonder Woman, because even she struggles with this.

"Castrate" Cyborg?

I'm saying Geoff Johns is a solid-to-good writer in an EXTREMELY limited range. Milestone, indeed minority characters in general, are outside that range. Maybe he gets it right. His track record implies that's not possible. Hence my wait and see position. Please refrain from leaning toward combative positions in discussion when no combat is necessary.

I dunno.

This implies that...

A.) Rozum is lying, and

B.) in a failed attempt to defend himself while still ending up corroborating Rozum's version of events anyway, McDaniel is concocting some sort of elaborate ruse.
    I don't imply anything. If I want to call somebody a liar, i call them a liar. In this case there's no need for all that inflammatory crap.

Mr. Rozum's post spoke to his experience of the period and of his treatment. His account is true, as far as he experienced it. I've no problems with anyone telling their own story how they feel it happened to them.

Mine is a description of how corporate editorial structure works. Invariably. It is simply not possible that his editor was operating "rogue" without the knowledge and approval of his executive superiors. NOT possible.

BANNED

I have to laugh at the thought that Black people are not diverse considering the fact that we are indigenous to the whole World. There are 'Black' Asians, Europeans, Hawaiians, Indians, Israelis, Egyptians, Russia etc..
    Not to mention the
    54 countries in Continental Africa. The 3000 African tribes and 3000 different languages and dialects that are spoken in Africa.

I would like to see some commentary about the recent turmoil, Murders and lynching that the Black Community has suffered but I and hoping that they will bring in new characters from other places in the World like Cambodia, Israel, Malaysia, Indonesia and especially Egypt. We are definitely looong overdue for an indigenous 'Black' Egyptian Super-Hero that can represent the Egyptian Gods. There are still some Black Egyptians located in the Southern part of Egypt.

I think that going the International route can differentiate Milestone a little bit.

Hopefully they will be inspired by the success of Divinity from Valiant.

Quote Originally Posted by rightsuperhero View Post
    I have to laugh at the thought that Black people are not diverse considering the fact that we are indigenous to the whole World. There are 'Black' Asians, Europeans, Hawaiians, Indians, Israelis, Egyptians, Russia etc..
    Not to mention the
    54 countries in Continental Africa. The 3000 African tribes and 3000 different languages and dialects that are spoken in Africa.

I would like to see some commentary about the recent turmoil, Murders and lynching that the Black Community has suffered but I and hoping that they will bring in new characters from other places in the World like Cambodia, Israel, Malaysia, Indonesia and especially Egypt. We are definitely looong overdue for an indigenous 'Black' Egyptian Super-Hero that can represent the Egyptian Gods. There are still some Black Egyptians located in the Southern part of Egypt.

I think that going the International route can differentiate Milestone a little bit.

Hopefully they will be inspired by the success of Divinity from Valiant.

All the things you're saying Milestone did the first time around. They need to take inspiration from no one but Milestone. it took the rest of the industry nearly 30 years to start catching up.