Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mrx2014

Default New 52 Batman is not as good as the old stuff

ok so let me start off by saying that i was lucky enough to grow up in the greatest comic book era of all time.
    Is it just me or was the older batman a lot better than the new 52 one. I haven't seen a story arc that has had me jump like back in the way back when, I'm talking knightfall, the killing joke, a death in the family etc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mrx2014 View Post
    ok so let me start off by saying that i was lucky enough to grow up in the greatest comic book era of all time.
    Is it just me or was the older batman a lot better than the new 52 one. I haven't seen a story arc that has had me jump like back in the way back when, I'm talking knightfall, the killing joke, a death in the family etc.
    lol at knightfall's inclusion in that list

BANNED

DC's rich history was one of its greatest assets and they threw it all away, just to "recycle" old ideas and mine previous concepts. It just feels LAZY. I loved the "Flashpoint" stories because they showed entirely different things. For example, I would LOVE to see further stories with Dick Grayson as Dr Fate. It would certainly solve his identity problem and enable him to cross over into Vertigo stories.

I actually really like New52 Batman. Scott Snyder's work on the character is some of the best he's seen beyond Morrison's, and even Morrison's could be included as part of the New52. Of the older stuff I've read, which seems to be all the iconic stuff, I can't say I enjoyed any of them as much as Death of the Family or the final chapter of Batman Incorporated. Don't get me wrong, Killing Joke is fantastic, Hush was thoroughly enjoyable, and The Long Halloween was pretty great, but I'll take New52 over them any day.

Incredible Member

I'm tempted to answer "isn't it to early to tell?" ...but, probably, it won't magically become constantly amazing.
    Still, I'm sure there is plenty of bland in every era. Maybe once the New52 is history, we could judge it more acurately.

So the stuff you read when you were younger was better to you?
    Shocking.

For my money, i think theres good and bad in every era. You just forget the bad stuff as it leaves no impression. 10-20 years from now ill most likely look back fondly on The Black Mirror and have no recollection of Finchs Dark Knight.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Batman fans have been blessed that since Denny O'Neil brought the character back to popularity in the 1970s, the top writers of every era have wanted to write Batman. From Miller and Moore to Morrison and Snyder. By referencing TKJ and DiTF I'm taking it that you are saying 1985-1990 (just to give up a 5 year window) was the best? I would probably agree, but there was absolute rubbish put out at that time too, we just have a tendency to forget it. Those guys also had the advantage of being on the ground floor when "realism" really hit comics. TDKR and TKJ could not have been produced in the 1970s, they would have never been green lighted. Well, when you do something first it's likely to be remembered. You could argue that the two stories you referenced, DiTF and TKJ, essentially destroyed one of the greatest comic book characters of all time - after those two stories has there been another good Joker story?

We needed a younger more streamlined batman but not sacrificing the character and making him super different.
    So compromise DC pretty much nuked his supporting cast and got the best of both worlds.

I like the new stuff but it doesn't compare to Hush, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Killing Joke, etc. Of course it is early so who knows?

Nothing is ever good as the old stuff.

Well that's just like, your opinion man

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrx2014 View Post
    Wow, never heard that one before.
    Buh-bye

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by scusemeprincess View Post
    lol at knightfall's inclusion in that list

Knightfall drags a bit once Azrael becomes Batman and the Shondra Kinsolving part is a bit of a gimme, but it's definitely one of the classic Batman stories of the 90s. I thought the front part of the story up to where Bane breaks the Bat was excellent.

Astonishing Member

The best Batman eras are when Alan Grant and Grant Morrison were writing in their respective years. Current stuff is blah.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    Nothing is ever good as the old stuff.
    We should save this thread so when the next reboot comes in, we can show it to those who will claim that the new reboot is not as good as the new 52