Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default SDCC Wonder Woman: Earth One Tidbits

From the DC Entertainment: Grant Morrison: The Multiversity & Beyond Panel:

• Morrison then spoke about his take on Wonder Woman, saying "I don't really like the sword and shield thing, I don't like this idea that the only way to show strong women is to make them look like Conan the barbarian."
    • "Marston said he created Wonder Woman to be the opposite of the bloodcurdling images of masculinity in comics. If only he was writing now, he'd really have something to fight against."
    • Morrison's Wonder Woman will explore her origin, with the Amazons putting Wonder Woman on trial for visiting man's world.
    • "This book has no fights. It really throws all the rules of boy's adventure fiction. I tried my best to do a book to pass the Bechdel test. For the first forty pages there are no men, it's just women talking about science and art."
    • "These aren't bloodthirsty women who haven't changed in 7,000 years, they have their own culture and art."
    • "It's a big shock for Wonder Woman that not all people are this perfect example of genetically engineered beauty.

Astonishing Member

Morrison then spoke about his take on Wonder Woman, saying "I don't really like the sword and shield thing, I don't like this idea that the only way to show strong women is to make them look like Conan the barbarian."

"Marston said he created Wonder Woman to be the opposite of the bloodcurdling images of masculinity in comics. If only he was writing now, he'd really have something to fight against."
    I like the sound of that.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member

One more bit courtesy of CBR's coverage:

• Morrison also explained that the culture eliminated masculinity from that world – even down to architecture and weapons.

BANNED

Meh, should have given this book to Rucka.

Morrison is great writer but he isn't great for Wonder Woman, he has written Wonder Woman in past and there is absolutely no reason for me to believe that Morrison is going to justice to Wonder Woman.

Spectacular Member

So girls should act like girls

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

• Morrison then spoke about his take on Wonder Woman, saying "I don't really like the sword and shield thing, I don't like this idea that the only way to show strong women is to make them look like Conan the barbarian."
    • "Marston said he created Wonder Woman to be the opposite of the bloodcurdling images of masculinity in comics. If only he was writing now, he'd really have something to fight against."
    • Morrison's Wonder Woman will explore her origin, with the Amazons putting Wonder Woman on trial for visiting man's world.
    • "This book has no fights. It really throws all the rules of boy's adventure fiction. I tried my best to do a book to pass the Bechdel test. For the first forty pages there are no men, it's just women talking about science and art."
    • "These aren't bloodthirsty women who haven't changed in 7,000 years, they have their own culture and art."
    • "It's a big shock for Wonder Woman that not all people are this perfect example of genetically engineered beauty.
    These perspectives brings me a great deal of joy. I only hope the execution of them matches my excitement and expectations.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

God, I wish Morrison was in charge of the New 52 reboot. This already sounds ten times better than anything we've gotten since Rucka left.
    I love that passing the Bechdel test is a goal here. Go for it, you mad Scotsman.

The only thing I dislike is how Diana will be a tube tube baby but it still does sound interesting. I wonder how do u guys feel that the amazons will have their tech back

Quote Originally Posted by anarki View Post
    So girls should act like girls
    This. I'm interested, but I find it interesting how some people overthink things so much, that they tend to play into the very thing they're so desperately trying to avoid. I guess it truly is a fine line between having woman be the woman archetype and having a woman be a man in a dress.

Guess we'll see how it all plays out.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I am one of probably very very few (maybe even the only one) who dislikes Morrison's past writing. After JLA I just havent found anything he has done worth interest to me and I am generally turned off first during his interviews. However, it sounds like he actually really gets Wonder Woman and the society she comes from. I had planned on getting the book because if nothing else, it will be extremely beautifully drawn. Now it seems like it might even be a worthwhile read. (Far more so than her current series in which apparently what makes a woman is constant whinging and barbaric killing.)

[*]Morrison then spoke about his take on Wonder Woman, saying "I don't really like the sword and shield thing, I don't like this idea that the only way to show strong women is to make them look like Conan the barbarian."
    Great Hera! I am so on board with this comment. Getting more stoked for this book now.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Say what you will about Morrison, but the man sure does commit to his research when he wants to learn something. From knowing nothing about Diana in FC and admitting it, to this, shows he looked into her ultimate origins a lot. And for those unhappy with her main characterization, if this title is a success, we could easily see these concepts begin to float back in. I would prefer more a melding though, as being a part of the superhero genre, I think her warrior side should definitely be a focus. There should be fights, and I have no problem with a sword and shield. But for a story that seems like its aim is a reconstruction, I get not having it here.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

shots fired into new 52
    Good to see amazons being smart, developing their own science.
    sword and shield getting too much importance annoys me, women to be strong don't need to act like men. also WW is very powerful so she doesn't need them

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

With Morrison announcing that he's doing more Batman and Multiversity, I'm guessing his former stance about being done with superheroes is a no go. Maybe we'll get more than one book out of this continuity?

BANNED