Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default CBR TV @ SDCC: Morrison Talks Hindu Myths, His "Final" Batman Story & More "Multiversity"

Superstar writer Grant Morrison tells CBR TV about subverting myths in "Avatarex," having the last word with Batman and his sci-fi Flash story.

Full article here.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Man. Grant always comes up with the goods & then some. The real deal
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

Grant is the man!!
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Good God--Barry Allen AGAIN? Can't he do another Flash? Or Multiverse Flashes? This is market saturation.

Give us a break, DC. Do Jay. Wally. Someone else. Anyone else. Barry's in the Flash Earth 1 book, his own book, and now this.

I'm sticking with the show, where the other Flashes will appear, and giving the books a pass. Nice to see that DC's as limited and narrow-minded as ever with the comics.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    Good God--Barry Allen AGAIN? Can't he do another Flash? Or Multiverse Flashes? This is market saturation.
    Because Grant Morrison has just written a zillion Barry Allen stories?

And, his alternate reality Barry is exactly the same as the TV Barry or the DCU Barry in anything except name and basic job?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Because Grant Morrison has just written a zillion Barry Allen stories?

And, his alternate reality Barry is exactly the same as the TV Barry or the DCU Barry in anything except name and basic job?
    There are enough iterations of Barry on TV, Earth-Prime, and Earth-One. Last I checked, there were other Flashes out there. Red Racer, perhaps? What's the point of a Multiversity OGN if you're not really exploring it?

BANNED

Give us a break, DC. Do Jay. Wally. Someone else. Anyone else. Barry's in the Flash Earth 1 book, his own book, and now this.

I'm sticking with the show, where the other Flashes will appear, and giving the books a pass. Nice to see that DC's as limited and narrow-minded as ever with the comics.
    I'm glad you know how building a brand works, then.

Branding? What does that have to do with branding? Sheesh. These aren't on the "main" Earth, so why not vary the formula a bit?

BANNED

There are enough iterations of Barry on TV, Earth-Prime, and Earth-One. Last I checked, there were other Flashes out there. Red Racer, perhaps? What's the point of a Multiversity OGN if you're not really exploring it?
    Morrison has spoken before, including in his book Supergods, that the Flash is his favourite superhero, Barry in particular as he kick-started the Silver Age, and that he's always had this one idea that he'd never had a chance to write yet about a man growing faster and faster as the world seems to slow down.

DC are hardly going to say to him "nah f**k that go write a different Flash".

BANNED

Branding? What does that have to do with branding? Sheesh.
    DC want the Flash to be an icon, and yes, a brand of its own. That means putting him up in as many places as possible, with as many people as possible knowing things about him, like his name, which is Barry Allen.

Flash's name could be Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, or Wally West, depending on who you talk to. And we don't know what exactly DC wants.

I now see what Morrison had planned. As for Earth-One, JMS and Earth-One mean this...isn't going to be a high point. I'm just talking about market saturation.

I just doubt that these guys have thought that far ahead, at least on the comic book side. They've had years to brand anything, and they never did it. The TV series is, from the sound of things coming next season, doing more for the Flash mythos than the book did in 3-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Morrison has spoken before, including in his book Supergods, that the Flash is his favourite superhero, Barry in particular as he kick-started the Silver Age, and that he's always had this one idea that he'd never had a chance to write yet about a man growing faster and faster as the world seems to slow down.

DC are hardly going to say to him "nah f**k that go write a different Flash".
    So it's not branding, it's just giving Morrison carte blanche to tell a story he wants to tell. Thank you for the clarification.

I feel better about going back to sticking with the show and ignoring the Flash on the comic book side. Especially the ongoing.

Astonishing Member

Uh I'm pretty sure Grant Morrison or any writer for all that matter should be allowed to use whoever the hell he wants to use as the Flash. Doesn't make sense to kowtow out of some arbitrary sense of market balance.

But nice to see that fanboy entitlement is well preserved on this forum.

Huh? What does entitlement have to do with anything? I'm pretty sure that liking other Flashes is simply a sign that readers have varied tastes.

But if it's a story Morrison wanted to do for years, that's another story. Given that Multiversity was a long time coming, who knows how long it'll be before these Multiversity OGNs see print? Oy.
    Last edited by PennyDreadful; 07-13-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Was I the only one who thought of the Avatar tv show when they saw "Avatarex" and "Hindu myths"?