Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Money as a superpower?

It just crossed my mind. With Iron Man and Batman, can money(lots and lots) be considered a superpower now? Just want your thoughts

BANNED

Both also happen to be geniuses though.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

No, otherwise Bill Gates would be a super-hero. Money's just a tool to buy the super-hero stuff.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    No, otherwise Bill Gates would be a super-hero. Money's just a tool to buy the super-hero stuff.
    Are you keeping tabs on what Gates does in his spare time?

Hmm I dunno what Gates actually does outside of making a few public appearances here & there. He might at least have the time to be a superhero.

Batman is an unparalleled hand-to-hand combatant, a world-class detective, a chemist, an engineer, an acrobat, an escapologist, a master of dozens of athletic disciplines, speaks dozens of languages, is at the peak of physical and mental human ability... and his superpower is MONEY?

I've never understood that line of thinking.
    I think it dates back from The Super Friends where, due to censorship, Batman and Robin were depicted as nothing but a pair of walking utility belts who did nothing but 'just happen' to produce the right deus ex machina for the situation at hand, but even Adam West's Batman could handle himself in a stouche (BIFF! BAM! POW!) and even though his deductive skills were eccentric (Sea? C for Catwoman!) they still got the job done.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

Actually...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93oihEbeKmw&feature=kp

Also Most Excellent Super Bat considers money as one of his powers.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

King Of All Nerds wonders:

Are you keeping tabs on what Gates does in his spare time?

Hmm I dunno what Gates actually does outside of making a few public appearances here & there. He might at least have the time to be a superhero.
    Gates spends his time with him and his wife giving away a large part of his vast fortune. That does make him a hero in my book, but not a super-hero.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    Batman is an unparalleled hand-to-hand combatant, a world-class detective, a chemist, an engineer, an acrobat, an escapologist, a master of dozens of athletic disciplines, speaks dozens of languages, is at the peak of physical and mental human ability... and his superpower is MONEY?
    No, his superpower seems to be never EVER sleeping.

BANNED

Gates spends his time with him and his wife giving away a large part of his vast fortune. That does make him a hero in my book, but not a super-hero.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/
    That's all well & good but I'm still not convinced there's not a secret division of Microsoft trying to develope a suit of armor...or at least waiting on Apple to make one so they can steal it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by indigim25 View Post
    It just crossed my mind. With Iron Man and Batman, can money(lots and lots) be considered a superpower now? Just want your thoughts
    NO. Any normal individual can acquire large amounts of money. No amount of money any nation prints can buy a normal individual the mind of Tony Stark, the powers of the Molecule Man, the Cosmic Awareness of the Silver Surfer, or the perspective of Lucifer Morningstar. Or Deadpool in someone's dress.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

[QUOTE=T51R;136401]NO. Any normal individual can acquire large amounts of money./QUOTE]

That's... not really how that works. Especially when you get Bruce Wayne money, which isn't beholden to any actual figure,he's just so rich he can buy whatever a story requires.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    And he achieved all of those things without having to work much of a day job, or worry about things like rent, or where his next meal is going to come from (things Peter Parker would worry about frequently enough).

Those things you listed aren't superpowers. They're really freaking cool, but are achievable as a humans go. Being born into multi-generational wealth is a rare thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    And he achieved all of those things without having to work much of a day job, or worry about things like rent, or where his next meal is going to come from (things Peter Parker would worry about frequently enough).

Those things you listed aren't superpowers. They're really freaking cool, but are achievable as a humans go. Being born into multi-generational wealth is a rare thing.
    A few of them are achievable, but the sheer broadness of his skills is definitely unrealistic. No one person can master all those things AND have a peak olympian body by his late 20s. That is a super power for Batman.
    Life is but a dream

Extraordinary Member

In the MCU, while a guy like Anton Vanko might be smart enough to build an arc reactor, it isn't until he falls in with weapons magnate Justin Hammer that he has the funds to be really dangerous.

Batman is able to operate and maintain a Fighter Jet, a Submarine, an attack chopper and depending on the story either a bullet proof sportscar or a tricked out APC.

Dude could bomb crime into submission.

Since Money in comics allows you to buy that kind of firepower, I guess it is a superpower.

How many fights am I going to lose if I have a tank and you don't?

That is one of the reasons why Batman needs supervillains.

Otherwise he is just some rich dude lighting up car thieves and shoplifters with rubber bullets from his battle tank because, reasons.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

It is if you ask this guy:

Buh-bye