View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
744. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

    26 3.49%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

    12 1.61%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

    20 2.69%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

    42 5.65%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

    36 4.84%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

    40 5.38%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

    43 5.78%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

    64 8.60%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

    39 5.24%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

    109 14.65%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

    60 8.06%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

    21 2.82%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

    37 4.97%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

    46 6.18%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

    149 20.03%
Page 17 of 977 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117517 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 14647
  1. #241
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Honnestly, it was for me a (good) surprise that some readers didn't get on arms when Pak created General Howlett.
    Agreed, but being an alternate reality was probably a good buffer. Few fans seem to get too worked up over alternate reality occurrences, or what ifs?



    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    While her specific character might not be mainstream knowledge, the name Batwoman is immediatly recognizable and sounds kinda like a big deal. Marvel needs something like that, a queer character tied to a marquee name to have some impact. The best thing Northstar can hope for is a My Little Pony reference.
    Fair point. I hope Northstar gets to lead soon, I am confident in Kyle&Yost will make him awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Maybe Miss America could eventually become the new "it" character like Ms. Marvel has, given the right creative team?
    I would really love to see MAC get a solo series; BUT I'd love it even more if she did a "dual comic" (like Incredible Hercules or Cable&Deadpool) with Kate Bishop (or Arana). That would be awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I also meant to mention Matt Fraction. Almost everything I have read of his Marvel work includes LGBT characters. THE ORDER had a lesbian member, as well as an all-girl villain team that had several lesbians. He brought Northstar back to the X-Men in his run there, and the issue of DARK AVENGERS he wrote was the only issue of the series to acknowledge Daken's bisexuality (although Bendis is good with LGBT content in general, he dropped the ball on Daken). His IRON MAN run had a gay couple as supporting characters. His HAWKEYE series has a gay couple, as well as a lesbian, as supporting characters. His FF run outed Tong as transgender.
    You know what... I'm both shocked and yet unsurprised I forgot Fraction. Shocked, because you are right, he's so incredibly pro-LGBT; but "unsurprised" because he treats it as such a normal, common thing, it doesn't stick out (which is a good thing). Kudos, Fraction is one of the best pro-LGBT character writers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    This will be the closest we'll get.
    OMG! Where is this from? This is hilarious!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'd like it if Marvel introduced a transgender superhero. Again, not a character whose gender has been changed magically, or had their mind implanted in a different body, or who shapeshifted into a more comfortable form, or any of those other comic book things. But someone who was born one gender, and, either with or without the gender reassignment surgery, now identifies as the other gender. And give the character powers that are completely and totally unrelated to their status as a trans person.
    QUESTION: if you could, which established hero would you explore trans with?

    I know I'd out Iceman, but for trans... the only character I can think of who'd be good would be Lascivious (and I'd do it in Thunderbolts).

  2. #242
    Mighty Member Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    This will be the closest we'll get.
    Whoa, how is this the first time I'm seeing this???

  3. #243
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    OMG! Where is this from? This is hilarious!!!
    It is from Frank Tieri's WOLVERINE & HERCULES miniseries from a couple of years ago. A fun read.

  4. #244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    QUESTION: if you could, which established hero would you explore trans with?

    I know I'd out Iceman, but for trans... the only character I can think of who'd be good would be Lascivious (and I'd do it in Thunderbolts).
    I'm not sure I'd do it with any established character. I mean, with a character realizing they're gay or bisexual, it doesn't take that much to justify it. Have a person of the same sex kiss them, and they say, "Oh, huh, I actually really, really liked that. That felt right."

    But for trans, it's a lot tougher. There should ideally be a lot of hints that the character is uncomfortable with their own body. And I can't really think of a character that really applies to.

    I suppose if I had to use an existing character for it, I might go with Moondragon. But I'd rather just create a new character to explore the issue with.

  5. #245
    Mighty Member Spider-Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    QUESTION: if you could, which established hero would you explore trans with?

    I know I'd out Iceman, but for trans... the only character I can think of who'd be good would be Lascivious (and I'd do it in Thunderbolts).
    I once read the "theory" that Emma Frost is a trans woman. The guy who made the "theory" was just joking, but it made sense in so many levels, its pretty much canon in my head. I can't recall very good but it stated that her "brother", Christian Frost, was in fact Emma and young Emma is a product of Emma's own imagination, a vision of how she could be and how beautiful she could look.

    In the Emma Frost series is revealed that "Christian" is gay and his father, being a bigot, sends him to a mental institution, where he's never heard of again. In Generation X #24 is stated that Emma was in a mental institution from which she escaped and she burned it to the ground and she "never looked back".
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...rosts-origins/
    There are other details here and there, and obviously some stuff was written in other times etc... but if a writer decides to make Emma a trans woman, it would make sense. There would be no contradictions and it would explain so many aspects of her life, from her pessimistic views about humanity in general but protector of those who have suffered...

    ... to her fabulousness.
    Last edited by Spider-Chan; 07-29-2014 at 05:22 PM.

  6. #246
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    I once read the "theory" that Emma Frost is a trans*woman. The guy who made the "theory" was just joking, but it made sense in so many levels, its pretty much canon in my head. I can't recall very good but it stated that her "brother", Christian Frost, was in fact Emma and young Emma is a product of Emma's own imagination, a vision of how she could be and how beautiful she could look.

    the Cyclops fans would love that.

  7. #247
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

    QUESTION: if you could, which established hero would you explore trans with?
    does it have to be a hero? there are at least 3 villains that i could namedrop. how about Snowbird? I do miss Christian Frost (although we didn't see much of him). he had personality.
    Last edited by Ant-manic; 06-17-2014 at 11:22 AM.

  8. #248
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I would rather have a new character for a transgender superhero. I think we're getting closer to it, it's the last hurdle.

  9. #249
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,567

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    I once read the "theory" that Emma Frost is a trans*woman. The guy who made the "theory" was just joking, but it made sense in so many levels, its pretty much canon in my head. I can't recall very good but it stated that her "brother", Christian Frost, was in fact Emma and young Emma is a product of Emma's own imagination, a vision of how she could be and how beautiful she could look.

    In the Emma Frost series is revealed that "Christian" is gay and his father, being a bigot, sends him to a mental institution, where he's never heard of again. In Generation X #24 is stated that Emma was in a mental institution from which she escaped and she burned it to the ground and she "never looked back".
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...rosts-origins/
    There are other details here and there, and obviously some stuff was written in other times etc... but if a writer decides to make Emma a trans*woman, it would make sense. There would be no contradictions and it would explain so many aspects of her life, from her pessimistic views about humanity in general but protector of those who have suffered...


    WOW! I'm a massive Emma fan (like my third favourite character EVER!!!)... and I 100% could believe this! It actually makes total sense (and makes her series all kinds of messed up -- if it was all in her head). I think this theory is epic! And I support it. Is there any history this directly contradicts? I mean if we only know her past from "her stories" (in her head), is there anyone who met young Emma, that this contradicts?

    Oh... the cos-play options:


    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    It is from Frank Tieri's WOLVERINE & HERCULES miniseries from a couple of years ago. A fun read.
    Ha! I hope Claremont fully outs Logan in Nightcrawler.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'm not sure I'd do it with any established character. I mean, with a character realizing they're gay or bisexual, it doesn't take that much to justify it. Have a person of the same sex kiss them, and they say, "Oh, huh, I actually really, really liked that. That felt right."
    But for trans, it's a lot tougher. There should ideally be a lot of hints that the character is uncomfortable with their own body. And I can't really think of a character that really applies to.
    While I understand your logic, you and I both know if it is a new hero, there's a 99% chance once the writer leaves, off to limbo the trans character would go. Where as if it's an established hero, there is a much high chance the trans character will stay around.

    As for who... I'm sure we can find heroes and villains who have body issues, that can be adapted. Hell, you could argue Beast keeps changing his form, and only now realises it's not the human/mutant aspect he wants to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
    does it have to be a hero? there are at least 3 villains that i could namedrop. how about Snowbird?
    Oh, it can be anyone, I just said hero because I'm bad with phraseology. My suggestion was a villain (Lascivious). Snowbird from the God Squad?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-17-2014 at 02:46 AM.

  10. #250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    I once read the "theory" that Emma Frost is a trans*woman. The guy who made the "theory" was just joking, but it made sense in so many levels, its pretty much canon in my head. I can't recall very good but it stated that her "brother", Christian Frost, was in fact Emma and young Emma is a product of Emma's own imagination, a vision of how she could be and how beautiful she could look.

    In the Emma Frost series is revealed that "Christian" is gay and his father, being a bigot, sends him to a mental institution, where he's never heard of again. In Generation X #24 is stated that Emma was in a mental institution from which she escaped and she burned it to the ground and she "never looked back".
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...rosts-origins/
    There are other details here and there, and obviously some stuff was written in other times etc... but if a writer decides to make Emma a trans*woman, it would make sense. There would be no contradictions and it would explain so many aspects of her life, from her pessimistic views about humanity in general but protector of those who have suffered...

    ... to her fabulousness.
    All this makes actually sense...

  11. #251
    Mighty Member NexusTenebrare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post


    WOW! I'm a massive Emma fan (like my third favourite character EVER!!!)... and I 100% could believe this! It actually makes total sense (and makes her series all kinds of messed up -- if it was all in her head). I think this theory is epic! And I support it. Is there any history this directly contradicts? I mean if we only know her past from "her stories" (in her head), is there anyone who met young Emma, that this contradicts?

    Oh... the cos-play options:
    I quite like this idea too, but I don't see the X-writers ever doing this.
    A shame really, because it would make for a brilliant story.

    As for contradictions. PAD's X-factor.
    Kinda dificult to produce offspring for a man and a transexual woman.
    Then again, it was the future and the MU is a universe of gods and magic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ha! I hope Claremont fully outs Logan in Nightcrawler.
    I hope not. I know there are those that see Logan and Gambit as being bi, but I don't see it at all. These guys have never been anything but skirt chasers.
    I can see them being accepting of LGBT people, but actually numbering among them is totally OOC for them in my opinion.
    But we've been through the so called evidence before. It didn't convince me at any other point, so let's not get into that discussion again.

    On the other hand, General Howlett should still be in the 616. I really hope some writer makes use of him soon.
    Dare I even say, have Marvel try to make him replace regular 616 Wolverine permanently (or at least untill the next Wolverine/X-Men movie).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Oh, it can be anyone, I just said hero because I'm bad with phraseology. My suggestion was a villain (Lascivious). Snowbird from the God Squad?
    Presumably Snowbird from Alpha Flight.
    She was in AF for a long time. The God Squad was from a single short run of Hercules.
    Put allegiance where allegiance is due.

  12. #252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'm not sure I'd do it with any established character. I mean, with a character realizing they're gay or bisexual, it doesn't take that much to justify it. Have a person of the same sex kiss them, and they say, "Oh, huh, I actually really, really liked that. That felt right."

    But for trans, it's a lot tougher. There should ideally be a lot of hints that the character is uncomfortable with their own body. And I can't really think of a character that really applies to.

    I suppose if I had to use an existing character for it, I might go with Moondragon. But I'd rather just create a new character to explore the issue with.
    I don't think it's tougher considering that not all trans men and women come out as children. We see it happening often now and days but there are many that wait until they're an adult to come out as transgendered and then start the transition from M to F or F to M. If they were to use an existing character, all that character would have to say is "I always felt uncomfortable in my own body, I just didn't tell anyone."

  13. #253
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,567

    Default

    Yet more homoerotic goodness in the Loki cover



    Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I quite like this idea too, but I don't see the X-writers ever doing this.
    A shame really, because it would make for a brilliant story.
    While I agree that it's highly, HIGHLY unlikely for the X-writers to do it... it IS the most supportive/progessive area of Marvel in terms of LGBT (and has been good at having diverse casts for decades). If any area did reveal a character as trans, it would be the X-verse.

    Also, how wonderful to have a trans character that is both open with her sexuality, proud of it, and still hot and one of the main X-women? I'd 100% support this (BIG Emma fan!)

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    As for contradictions. PAD's X-factor.
    Kinda difficult to produce offspring for a man and a transexual woman.
    Then again, it was the future and the MU is a universe of gods and magic.
    Hmmm.... will have to think of this...

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    On the other hand, General Howlett should still be in the 616. I really hope some writer makes use of him soon.
    Dare I even say, have Marvel try to make him replace regular 616 Wolverine permanently (or at least untill the next Wolverine/X-Men movie).
    I'd LOVE Gen. Howlett to take over Wolverine's comic (Daken style); and give us a second LGBT solo star! He's still in 616, as far as I know???

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Brown View Post
    I don't think it's tougher considering that not all trans men and women come out as children. We see it happening often now and days but there are many that wait until they're an adult to come out as transgendered and then start the transition from M to F or F to M. If they were to use an existing character, all that character would have to say is "I always felt uncomfortable in my own body, I just didn't tell anyone."
    Agreed.

  14. #254
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,567

    Default

    Since it's Al Ewing (Loki: Agent of Asgard) writing Avengers 34.1... what is the chance that he will out Hyperion? (if he is indeed Hickman's suppossed "LGBT" Avenger) Ewing seems far more able to get character AND plot in his stories, very evenly.


  15. #255
    Mighty Member NexusTenebrare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    While I agree that it's highly, HIGHLY unlikely for the X-writers to do it... it IS the most supportive/progessive area of Marvel in terms of LGBT (and has been good at having diverse casts for decades). If any area did reveal a character as trans, it would be the X-verse.

    Also, how wonderful to have a trans character that is both open with her sexuality, proud of it, and still hot and one of the main X-women? I'd 100% support this (BIG Emma fan!)
    I will say this. If they were to do it, I want it to be revealed that Scott knew the entire time (not that he found out, but that Emma told him) and that he didn't care.
    I feel that would add nicely to Scott's character and I personally don't want to see too much outrage at a transexual reveal.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •