View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 931 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 4318318819219279289299309319329339349359419811031 ... LastLast
Results 13,951 to 13,965 of 16971
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Yeah I was wondering that myself. He could have just been joking but it’s an interesting line
    The way the actor delivered the line definitely felt genuine. I honestly think the character was probably supposed to be gay, but it was a very minor character in the overall plot. Like out of all the Kree warriors he had the smallest role.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Yeah, Kate has not been recognizable since Gillen and Fraction got their hands on her.

And doubt anyone 'forgot' or retconned Eli. Honestly it was just a stupid joke in the comic along the same lines as America's last line to Kate in the last YA run.

But that said, I wouldn't be bothered if they did run with this and have Tommy Shepherd and Eli Bradley revealed as Bi thanks to this. It wouldn't be the first time we got an LGBT character from a bad joke.
    Yeah, I mean, Noh-Varr himself was kind of random for the ~I'm the only straight" Kate moment and I barely considered him as LGBT based on that. But now we actually had him having something for a guy, and it doesn't feel like news.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Okay so I just watched Captain Marvel and I'm kinda surprised that no-one has mentioned there's a male Kree warrior who says to another male Kree warrior; "objectively you're quite handsome". Now granted that's not really much to go on in terms of discerning whether a character should be considered gay or bisexual but honestly that's how I think movie studios are going to (half-heartedly) try to incorporate LGBT characters, with ambiguous throwaway lines like that.
    Didn't surprise me much since that's what the Kree are like in the comics.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Well, that explains why he thought this wasn't Hercules. It's not just the race change, but pretty much everything about the character description. Intellectual and emotional? Those are not words I'd use to describe Herc. Plus, if Conrad Ricamora is really being considered for this, then it doesn't look like they're looking for an specific Herculean body type. So yeah, I'm convinced that ''James'' is not Hercules. But that doesn't meant Herc can't still be in the movie or still be queer, does it? I mean, if this character is going to be gay, then there must be something in the movie that showcases that. Maybe he could be a love interest for Herc... OMG, what if he's an older, gay version of Amadeus Cho? Ok, I'm getting ahead of myself here... but I wouldn't be against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The "I've never dated anyone straight" comment was just Kate poking fun at her two most recent lover boyfriends being bi. It wasn't meant to be an actual official statement of Kate's entire dating history.
    Yeah, it seems clear to me that was just a joke referencing Kate's iconic ''am I the only straight person in this team'' line. I don't think she actually meant it literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    She had to. The rights to Eli are wrapped up in a convoluted legal mess and marvel cant clame ownership or use him anymore
    Not really, though? Eli has been mentioned in the comics after the so called ban, just not by name. Even if there are legal rights with his character still, that doesn't mean they have to act like he never existed. They just have to do it in a subtle way.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Okay so I just watched Captain Marvel and I'm kinda surprised that no-one has mentioned there's a male Kree warrior who says to another male Kree warrior; "objectively you're quite handsome". Now granted that's not really much to go on in terms of discerning whether a character should be considered gay or bisexual but honestly that's how I think movie studios are going to (half-heartedly) try to incorporate LGBT characters, with ambiguous throwaway lines like that.
    Well, I did notice the moment, but it didn't really come off as gay to me. I guess my mind just thought of it as normalizing men complimenting other men's beauty, without necessarily any gay innuendos. It's hard to tell, since the Starforce characters, with the exception of Jude Law's character, were so underused and underdeveloped in the movie.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    It's just not funny.

Between her vampire mother, her supervillain father and the fact that I can't remember the last time she even mentioned that she has a sister, she just isn't recognizable as the same character anymore
    No, she's much better, much more popular and on her way to being solid B list.

Sometimes, change is better
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    No, she's much better, much more popular and on her way to being solid B list.

Sometimes, change is better
    Her popularity levels seem more or less the same as they've always been. New fans coming in have sort of been balanced out by the ones that left after she became an entirely different character.

Honestly any rise in popularity can be more attributed to her actually getting to appear in books than the changes made.

As someone who was a huge fan of Young Avengers back when it came out, I honestly couldn't tell you anything about her dad or mother, so the changes didn't really bug me.

Her popularity levels seem more or less the same as they've always been. New fans coming in have sort of been balanced out by the ones that left after she became an entirely different character.

Honestly any rise in popularity can be more attributed to her actually getting to appear in books than the changes made.
    She's carried a solo, captained a team and co-starred in several critically acclaimed runs.

The changes heightened her popularity as far as I can see; the changes got her in the books.

Look at the other YA's - very few changes, very few appearances.

The development Kate has had has helped her exponentially.

Wiccan and Hulkling have had some changes, though it seems both Gillen's power bump for Billy and Ewing's space Arthur stuff for Teddy hasnt stuck the way Kate's development has.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    She's carried a solo, captained a team and co-starred in several critically acclaimed runs.

The changes heightened her popularity as far as I can see; the changes got her in the books.

Look at the other YA's - very few changes, very few appearances.

The development Kate has had has helped her exponentially.

Wiccan and Hulkling have had some changes, though it seems both Gillen's power bump for Billy and Ewing's space Arthur stuff for Teddy hasnt stuck the way Kate's development has.

She was a team leader before Gillen already and nothing you listed happened because of the changes. Heck, I've seen more dislike/hate generated towards Kate due to the changes than she ever had before them.

The others didn't appear so they didn't get to develop more good or bad.

She was a team leader before Gillen already and nothing you listed happened because of the changes. Heck, I've seen more dislike/hate generated towards Kate due to the changes than she ever had before them.

The others didn't appear so they didn't get to develop more good or bad.
    I disagree.

The changes, or more people wanting to use her and making changes that have gone on to stick, have propelled her.

The fact that others have been saddled with status quo because any changes for them dont appear to have stuck, alongside a core of fans that can't let characters grow (I still don't know why people think having the original Young Avengers still try and go by that name despite the fact they've grown up now) is seemingly stopping them from being used.

Some changes are bad, but the ones for Kate have seen her become an anointed character - one that may make the move to the MCU and see her popularity grow even more. The small voice of fans who want her to stay the person she was in 12 issues of a book that came out nearly 15 years ago will just have to be disappointed because I dont think they're going backwards with her.

Would that Billy and Teddy get the same.....

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Well, I did notice the moment, but it didn't really come off as gay to me. I guess my mind just thought of it as normalizing men complimenting other men's beauty, without necessarily any gay innuendos. It's hard to tell, since the Starforce characters, with the exception of Jude Law's character, were so underused and underdeveloped in the movie.
    It's definitely an ambiguous line, but ambiguity is exactly what I expect from movie studios that want to appear progressive but not actually include openly gay characters. And yes, the Starforce characters were completely underused. I'm pretty sure that one line was the only line of dialogue the bearded character had. I still liked the movie overall though.

So, I keep seeing it mentioned that there are legal issues surrounding Eli Bradley...? What happened and why can't I find anything on Google (other than my Google-Fu being way sub-par...)?

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    So, I keep seeing it mentioned that there are legal issues surrounding Eli Bradley...? What happened and why can't I find anything on Google (other than my Google-Fu being way sub-par...)?
    He hasn't been seen since the Children's Crusade back in 2012, and it seems like there's been a deliberate attempt to avoid showing or mentioning him (even an instance of him appearing in a photograph in Age of Ultron had to be redrawn to replace him with America Chavez). The closest we've gotten to any sort of concrete explanation was Kieron Gillen saying his original plan for Young Avengers vol. 2 involved Eli, before he was told by his editors Eli was off-limits. This has extended to other media, as all the recent video game appearances the Young Avengers have made (such as Avengers Academy and Lego Avengers) have used practically everyone from the team except Eli.

It's never been officially confirmed, but the consensus seems to be there might be legal issues with the character of Isaiah Bradley, whom Eli was spun off from. Adding some credence to this is that Josiah X, another hero who was spun off from Isaiah, has not been seen or mentioned in quite some time either, nor has Isaiah himself.
    Last edited by Holt; 04-20-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    He hasn't been seen since the Children's Crusade back in 2012, and it seems like there's been a deliberate attempt to avoid showing or mentioning him (even an instance of him appearing in a photograph in Age of Ultron had to be redrawn to replace him with America Chavez). The closest we've gotten to any sort of concrete explanation was Kieron Gillen saying his original plan for Young Avengers vol. 2 involved Eli, before he was told by his editors Eli was off-limits. This has extended to other media, as all the recent video game appearances the Young Avengers have made (such as Avengers Academy and Lego Avengers) have used practically everyone from the team except Eli.

It's never been officially confirmed, but the consensus seems to be there might be legal issues with the character of Isaiah Bradley, whom Eli was spun off from. Adding some credence to this is that Josiah X, another hero who was spun off from Isaiah, has not been seen or mentioned in quite some time either, nor has Isaiah himself.
    In fairness, was Josiah X ever mentioned outside of The Crew?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this whole thing baffles me. There is clearly some sort of legal issue going on, but how the hell did that happen? Every element of the Truth mini relies on Marvel canon and Isaiah Bradley is an entirely human character (not like say, Hellboy or Nightcrawler).

Did Marvel just not bother with a basic contract or something?

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

So, someone published a paper on Wiccan and Hulkling being a ''homonormative'' couple, which sounds like... an interesting concept, to say the least.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...er_performance

I requested the full text and they said I might get it from e-mail. Not sure if I'm getting it, but I'm interested in reading it. Either way, it's pretty cool that someone out there thought they were relevant enough to be the subject of this kind of publication.