View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 1009 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 9509909959999100510061007100810091010101110121013101910591109 ... LastLast
Results 15,121 to 15,135 of 16972

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Being open meanings you include content for everybody and stop worrying about backlash.

Netflix saw backlash to Dear White People tv series in fact folks cancelled their subscriptions over the TITLE of that show.

Yet that show lasted 3 years.

Because at the END of the day-you, me nor anyone is obligated to watch LGBTQ content. It is a CHOICE.

So Disney should be free to include it. Because once upon a time that argument over what gets made-was targeting BLACK PEOPLE.

Also remember what YOU don't do-someone ELSE will or will take.
    I have no doubt that Disney will include gay relationships moving forward. However, I think they will stick with gay ones. Man on man or woman on woman. That could be what they consider a healthy safe zone. I don't have a problem with this. Gotta walk before ya run!

What I DO have a problem with is when they announce it and make a big deal about it. When they decided to have one of the Eternals be gay, they announced it and made it a large part of the Eternals news. I hate this. A gay couple should just appear like any straight couple would. Ugh.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    What I DO have a problem with is when they announce it and make a big deal about it. When they decided to have one of the Eternals be gay, they announced it and made it a large part of the Eternals news. I hate this. A gay couple should just appear like any straight couple would. Ugh.
    While I understand where you're coming from on that, you have to remember that they also have people coming at them all the time asking "where are the gay characters? When are you gonna do an LGBT superhero?", etc, etc. There are people who WANT that news; who are waiting for that news (as we have seen in this thread, with some posters hunting down and analyzing every tidbit and rumour).

Perhaps once they have more LGBT representation under their belts in the MCU it won't need to be news and we can start having them just show up, as you suggest. But for the first few cases, yes, they will need to treat it like news because it IS news. Its the first. Even now, you'd have people in this very thread that would argue that Marvel has not done enough to promote it, since there was no official announcement of who the gay character is specifically, etc.

Unfortunately with stuff like this there is no way for them to make everyone happy. Some people are upset that they aren't giving us more details; others, like you, would prefer to not hype it at all. Some are upset that the character is going to be married; whereas others are happy that he is being given a relationship. Some will be disappointed and angry if there is no same-sex kiss. Some will be mad if he isn't one of the core lead characters. Etc, etc.

At the end of the day, they'll just have to make the choices that they feel are in the best interest of the story, the characters, the movie as a whole, etc, and proceed with that and not worry about making everyone happy with it -- because they'll never make everyone happy. However if all goes well, this won't be the only big screen LGBT representation in the MCU...so hopefully the people that aren't happy this time around may like something better with the next gay character.

The ones making the 'big deal' out of it are the big companies that immediately pat themselves on the back while doing really nothing (ex: Disney constantly introducing their "first LGBT character!" again and again).

I also get a general feeling of "Well we're not going to give you any actually openly LGBT heroes you might like...but LOOK over there! Shiny scrap of distraction! Aren't we the greatest?" from how they announced the gay character in the Eternals.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    Maybe not to you but to me that's exactly what is going on here, because he never asked the reason why they disagree I don't think he cared he saw the words Parents disagree oh that's homophobic he didn't ask its just that sounds like a easy way to homophobic so its homophobic and I have seen it in the past and it shuts down dialog.
    He didn't ask for ages or anything, I know that I wouldn't be happy with my kids watch NCIS, Vampire Diaries, Criminal Minds, Pretty Little Liars and a whole host of other shows until they turn somewhere between 13-15 and not all of those shows have queer content still not letting them seen it, I mean I wouldn't let my 6-7 year old(when I have them) watch criminal minds no way at all. CM has no queer content at all while none that I remember anyway still not letting them see it however Voltron not a problem, She-Ra not a problem.
    So I'm just gonna reply to this one post because the other one is annoyingly broken down in a million different replies and ain't nobody got time for that.

You don't have to explain to me the context, because the context had already been put on the table: Disney decided that a show that was based on a PG-13 movie (and would most likely follow the same themes and tone said movie had) was not ''family friendly'' for Disney+ for a couple of reasons. The problem with that? They have OTHER CONTENT on Disney+ that would fall exactly under those same ''family unfriendly'' descriptions, and yet, they're not banned from Disney+. That's the context. When you come into this conversation and you try to argue that Disney may be right because they have to ''listen to the parents who disagree'', you are collaborating with the hypocrisy of this entire situation, because I'm not seeing the concerned parents worried about the other content. I'm not seeing the concerned parents making petitions to remove other things from Disney+ because oh god, won't someone think of the kids? And yet, the existence of a production that heavily focus on queer issues is met with moral outrage, and the reason is plain and simple: queerphobia. Sometimes it's so socially rooted and internalized that some people don't realize, but it's exactly what it is, and we in the LGBTQ community know that because we've been having to deal with that kind of bullshit our entire lives. We can smell it from a mile away. So if you thought you were gonna make any friends in a queer-positive thread by defending ''concerned parents'', you were dead wrong.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-04-2020 at 05:46 AM.

^^^ My dude.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Yeah, treating queer content as inappropriate for children, while treating equivalent straight content as appropriate, that’s homophobic.
    Thank you in a rounabout way that is a question, please note that i said parents disagree never said why all i was told is that sounds homophobic so if a parent disagrees to everything over PG-13 being on Disney+ is that homophobic.
    Don't think so however i could be wrong but what i was hearing from DOV was regardless of the reason Disney should ignore them and put the content anyway and Scourge was saying there is no valid reason didnt ask for particulars there is no valid reason to object to this show.
    But you know what, whatever i'm done

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Being open meanings you include content for everybody and stop worrying about backlash.

Netflix saw backlash to Dear White People tv series in fact folks cancelled their subscriptions over the TITLE of that show.

Yet that show lasted 3 years.

Because at the END of the day-you, me nor anyone is obligated to watch LGBTQ content. It is a CHOICE.

So Disney should be free to include it. Because once upon a time that argument over what gets made-was targeting BLACK PEOPLE.

Also remember what YOU don't do-someone ELSE will or will take.
    But the choice doesnt just end with the consummer, the producer also has the CHOICE on what goes on their platform.
    For me i have a few questions
    Are Disney saying that anything that is PG-13 will go on Disney and everything else to Hulu
    Did Love Victor evolve to the point where it couldnt be classed as a PG-13
    Is that why they moved it

If the answer to any of those questions is proven to be No then i have a massive problem because I believe everyone should have the FREEEDOM to make the choice.
    For me when you say someone has to do something they no longer have a choice and thats when you lose me and in my opinion lose the argument

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I mostly didn't want to discuss because I think you're wrong and won't change my mind, .
    Fair enough thanks

but why you're on this thread is kind of a legimate question. Maybe you think this thread is supposed to be about debates like say the politics one on the CBR community tab, but it's not.
    Well, maybe it can be used like that now, but it's at least not how it was originally intended.
    Oops my bad, Sorry you acutally caught me thats exactly what i thought that this was a Discussion about LGBT Characters plus i also kinda got triggered a wee bit, big into freedome and for me have to/ has to goes againist that.
    After all Disney don't have to have a streaming platform to start off with but they want a successful one.

This was made as an appreciation thread for LGBT characters in Marvel, and only changed from "Appreciation" to "Discussion" on the title cause not everyone is gonna like every LGBT character and having it as appreciation meant we couldn't express any
    negativity about them. But it's obviously a thread filled with people who care about LGBT representation, so obviously someone who's against it wouldn't be quite welcome.
    Thats strange because i know of at least one example of an Appreciation thread that started off pretty negative. Anyway i will do the right thing and step away however its not because i'm againist LGBT rep, i would like to think if you read all of my former posts that my disagrument was about freedom and not the content hope thats the way it came across anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    I understand what you are getting at however we arent at a place where this is possible socially so i think thats why, plus as Dermie says you arent going to keep everyone happy and part of it is getting more people to change and evolve to the point where they dont judge the film as a gay film but as a film.
    I mean 1-2 years ago i would say that i would never watch queer content ever but now if its a good story and the trailer excites me then maybe i will, so in a short amount of time its gone from a no to a maybe and i decided that to me thats true progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    So I'm just gonna reply to this one post because the other one is annoyingly broken down in a million different replies and ain't nobody got time for that.
    It seems to me anyway you and others dont have time to read and understand the replies either

You don't have to explain to me the context, because the context had already been put on the table: Disney decided that a show that was based on a PG-13 movie (and would most likely follow the same themes and tone said movie had) was not ''family friendly'' for Disney+ for a couple of reasons. .
    Most Likely fine then its wrong however just because its based on a PG-13 movie doesnt mean it will be PG-13 there are examples hell Hilary Duff wants the Lizzie McGuire moved to Hulu because she thinks it will be more authenicate, and its not like Love Victor is the only thing that they announced for Disney + and have moved.
    If Love Victor was the only show that moved fine but it isnt though i do understand your rage

The problem with that? They have OTHER CONTENT on Disney+ that would fall exactly under those same ''family unfriendly'' descriptions, and yet, they're not banned from Disney+.
    Really it would be interesting to see the differences, i can't get Hulu but maybe i will investigate when Love Victor airs

That's the context.
    Ok thanks for the summary

[QUOTE=Drops Of Venus;4871294]When you come into this conversation and you try to argue that Disney may be right because they have to ''listen to the parents who disagree'',
    I never said Disney was right, when you have time can i suggest you review the posts never said i agreed with Disney, i think they are two different off topic arguments going on here.

you are collaborating to the hipocrisy of this entire situation, because I'm not seeing the concerned parents worried about the other content.
    Well as discussed it seems as if we are having two different arguements

I'm not seeing the concerned parents making petitions to remove other things from Disney+ because oh god, won't someone think of the kids?
    Wait what there was a petition to remove Love Victor, never heard about one of those. Don't want a link i'll take your word for it.

And yet, the existence of a production that heavily focus on queer issues is met with moral outrage, and the reason is plain and simple: queerphobia.
    Yeah i'm stepping out of this, this is not the argument that i was having, been there, done that elvolved from that.

So if you thought you were gonna make any friends in a queer-positive thread by defending ''concerned parents'', you were dead wrong.
    Good thing that wasnt what i was defending then, i was defending freedom, Disney have the freedom to pick what content they want, we have the freedom to disagree and we have the freedom to raise a stink about it
    However as i have said before we dont have the freedom to take away anyone elses choices and by saying they have to do something to me that is what you are doing, for me true progression is to say you dont have to do this and Disney decided to do it for me that would be worth of a celebration
    Like a writer who couple of years ago would never write a gay character or bi character in their stories and then suddenly he comes out with a new story and the beta couple is gay thats worth celebrating.
    When it comes to Love Victor lets celebrate that Disney are still making the show, yes be dissapointed it wont be on Disney+ but at least they have moved from 3/4 years ago when it would just be canned.

This was made as an appreciation thread for LGBT characters in Marvel, and only changed from "Appreciation" to "Discussion" on the title cause not everyone is gonna like every LGBT character and having it as appreciation meant we couldn't express any
    negativity about them. But it's obviously a thread filled with people who care about LGBT representation, so obviously someone who's against it wouldn't be quite welcome.
    Thats strange because i know of at least one example of an Appreciation thread that started off pretty negative. Anyway i will do the right thing and step away however its not because i'm againist LGBT rep, i would like to think if you read all of my former posts that my disagrument was about freedom and not the content hope thats the way it came across anyway.
    Anyway i have replied all i'm going to. Thank you for your time and i hope you all have a happy disscussion.
    BTW Wiccan your name sake is coming to the MCU in a Disney+ series.
    Truth is the best policy

"Freedom to make the choice"

Sure...people are free to make the choice to be queerphobic. They're still wrong and not immune to the backlash and consequences of their incredibly poor choice.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Disney only uses gay people for clout and money. Give it up already.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

So, Excalibur today featured a gay kiss.

It also featured some pretty nasty racism from a gay character whose now going to be pretty toxic and accrue quite a bit of hate.

Nice work there Tiny.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    So, Excalibur today featured a gay kiss.

It also featured some pretty nasty racism from a gay character whose now going to be pretty toxic and accrue quite a bit of hate.

Nice work there Tiny.
    I've said it before...
    Every time that writer gets their hands on a gay character, they screw them up somehow.

Black Cat #10 seemingly featured the first on-panel depiction of Felicia Hardy with a girlfriend since the "Evil That Men Do" mini established she had had some in her life.

I used to like Cullen, but this is a horrible portrayal of him.

Also, why is he trying to make out with Rictor? He's, like, a decade younger than him.

The whole thing is weird and I hated it.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I've said it before...
    Every time that writer gets their hands on a gay character, they screw them up somehow.
    They dont have to be gay. Tini Howard just isn't very good.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Because 18 year old baby gays never hit on guys 10 years their senior

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    They dont have to be gay. Tini Howard just isn't very good.
    That's true too.