View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
889. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.29%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.51%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.51%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.29%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

77 8.66%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.17%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.07%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.76%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

25 2.81%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.29%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.74%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.81%
Page 969 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 46986991995996596696796896997097197297397910191069 ... LastLast
Results 14,521 to 14,535 of 16966

Think Madden’s going to officially come out near the film opening to boost press?

He's private about his personal life, so probably not.

Astonishing Member

The Week In Gay:

Death's Head #2 of 4 - more Wiccan and Hulkling

Fearless #2 of 4 - Honey Badger appeared in the 3rd story. And the main feature is written by Seanan McQuire

Guardians Of The Galaxy #8 - Most of the issue is spent revealing what is going on with Rocket, but Moondragon is involved with that flashback sequence. Phyla has no dialogue but does appear for a few pages at the end of the issue.

History Of The Marvel Universe #2 of 6 - in addition to the Mystique/Destiny page that already got attention in the First Looks, this issue also touches on some other LGBT heroes like Mighty Destroyer and Union Jack II and their role in founding the V-Battalion.

Superior Spider-Man #10 - Max Modell appears in this issue and helps Otto track down the villain trying to ruin his new life.

Deadpool Annual #1 - another Acts Of Evil story with Deadpool vs Nightmare

Absolute Carnage Vs Deadpool #1 of 3

Jane Foster: Valkyrie #2 - Brunhilde and Lisa Halloran are both supporting players in this series, although I didn't spot either of them in my flip-through of this particular issue.

Did I miss anything?

I like the idea of an openly gay character who is married to someone of the same-sex and has children with that person, but I'm conflicted because I also like single gay characters who are either dippin and doin it, or just going about their lives. While I think the former can be tolerable for segments of the population, there are many heterosexuals, both male and female, who absolutely detest the idea of gays being able to marry and have kids (whether through adoption, in vitro, or from previous relationships). So, it definitely wouldn't be a total-win. Speaking personally, I'm keeping my expectations severely low. Though a same-sex kiss would be nice, and would probably send a great many into a frenzy, my gut instinct is telling me we're likely to get a bro-ish hug with a bit more oomph.

Sorry for the negativity. I try (and fail, admittedly lol) to be positive about most things, but I'm crossing my arms at the MCU and LGBT+ representation. I would love to be wrong and maybe I will be.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

BANNED

There are a variety of homosexual relationship types, and certainly no "one size fits all".

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Think Madden’s going to officially come out near the film opening to boost press?
    Because there's no openly gay actor in The Eternals but Marvel was looking for a gay actor to play the role people have been speculating that whoever is playing the gay character is going to come out to promote the film. So we'll see, it's a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    He's private about his personal life, so probably not.
    If he is indeed playing the gay character then he's probably going to get asked a lot of questions like; "what does it mean to you to play the first gay superhero?", "do you feel a responsibility to represent for the gay community?" and stuff like that, so it'd be interesting to see how he responds to stuff like that if he's still trying to keep his sexuality ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I like the idea of an openly gay character who is married to someone of the same-sex and has children with that person, but I'm conflicted because I also like single gay characters who are either dippin and doin it, or just going about their lives. While I think the former can be tolerable for segments of the population, there are many heterosexuals, both male and female, who absolutely detest the idea of gays being able to marry and have kids (whether through adoption, in vitro, or from previous relationships). So, it definitely wouldn't be a total-win. Speaking personally, I'm keeping my expectations severely low. Though a same-sex kiss would be nice, and would probably send a great many into a frenzy, my gut instinct is telling me we're likely to get a bro-ish hug with a bit more oomph.

Sorry for the negativity. I try (and fail, admittedly lol) to be positive about most things, but I'm crossing my arms at the MCU and LGBT+ representation. I would love to be wrong and maybe I will be.
    Honestly this is very similar to how I feel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    There are a variety of homosexual relationship types, and certainly no "one size fits all".
    Yeah. While I understand where people are coming from when they say that gay married couples are in a "hetero-normative" relationship it still bothers me a bit because some gay people just want to be married and accusing them of "mimicing" straight people often feels like a way of valuing certain types of relationships over others, which is ironically what homophobic people do to gay people.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 08-25-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Speaking of Teddy-- I really want my boyfriend and I to be Teddy and Billy for SDCC next year. Look at my Instagram below to see what we look like. I don't know! What do y'all think?
    I like boys, comics, Disney, and traveling. // follow me @ itsnickmen
    “Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Because there's no openly gay actor in The Eternals but Marvel was looking for a gay actor to play the role people have been speculating that whoever is playing the gay character is going to come out to promote the film. So we'll see, it's a possibility.

If he is indeed playing the gay character then he's probably going to get asked a lot of questions like; "what does it mean to you to play the first gay superhero?", "do you feel a responsibility to represent for the gay community?" and stuff like that, so it'd be interesting to see how he responds to stuff like that if he's still trying to keep his sexuality
    he's playing Ikaris... Im not sure what is ambiguous about him publicly dating several 'famous' chicks. And i doubt he'd be asked any of those questions anyway...itz not like the gay character is the solo star if the movie+ Unless they change a buncha stuff the Eternals wouldn't be tge right franchise to debut MCUs "FIRST GAY SUPERHERO"guess we're forgetting Valkyrie ot NTW) I could be wrong if Madden comes out to promote the movie....that just gives me all kinds of icky vibes

Yeah. While I understand where people are coming from when they say that gay married couples are in a "hetero-normative" relationship it still bothers me a bit because some gay people just want to be married and accusing them of "mimicing" straight people often feels like a way of valuing certain types of relationships over others, which is ironically what homophobic people do to gay people.
    well they kinda are everyone is... marriage is a learned trait. lol And I don't think the poster was implying real life gay marriages are hetero normative but Hollywood sometimes takes a fringe community and forces them into a box to present to their audience. Being suspicious of how a hypothetical gay relationship is gonna be portrayed on screen is mo where near in the same level as a homophobe reaction to a Queer person

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1165347162667929600

It's from an interview that Kevin Feige did with Good Morning America. The full interview hasn't been released yet, I'm not familiar with GMA's schedule but I assume Monday is probably when it'll get released. Hopefully Feige confirms who the gay character is in this interview.
    Oh, so the full interview's not out yet? I assumed it was and that quote was just the most relevant part. But if there's possibly more he said about the subject, hopefully there's a bigger hint or confirmation as to who the character is.

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    Speaking of Teddy-- I really want my boyfriend and I to be Teddy and Billy for SDCC next year. Look at my Instagram below to see what we look like. I don't know! What do y'all think?
    You should totally do it! More Wiccan & Hulkling cosplays are always welcome.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-26-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    he's playing Ikaris... Im not sure what is ambiguous about him publicly dating several 'famous' chicks. And i doubt he'd be asked any of those questions anyway...itz not like the gay character is the solo star if the movie+ Unless they change a buncha stuff the Eternals wouldn't be tge right franchise to debut MCUs "FIRST GAY SUPERHERO"guess we're forgetting Valkyrie ot NTW) I could be wrong if Madden comes out to promote the movie....that just gives me all kinds of icky vibes

well they kinda are everyone is... marriage is a learned trait. lol And I don't think the poster was implying real life gay marriages are hetero normative but Hollywood sometimes takes a fringe community and forces them into a box to present to their audience. Being suspicious of how a hypothetical gay relationship is gonna be portrayed on screen is mo where near in the same level as a homophobe reaction to a Queer person
    Well they've already confirmed that The Eternals is going to have the first gay superhero in the MCU, so apparently Marvel has decided this is the right franchise to do it in. Also I'm not forgetting Valkyrie or Negasonic, I'm just talking about the first gay male superhero, Valkyrie is bi (and they cut the scene confirming her sexuality anyway) and Negasonic is a lesbian. This is the first time there's going to be a male queer superhero in a mainstream superhero movie.

As for Richard Madden's sexuality he's been heavily rumoured to be dating a man right now and when asked about it in an interview he refused to confirm or deny it so that's ambiguity right there. Yes he has dated actresses before but that doesn't really mean anything in Hollywood, closeted actors date beards all the time and at least one of his ex-girlfriends is rumoured to be a beard herself. And he might be bisexual and come out as bi.

As for the thing about relationships what I was saying is that homophobic people don't view same-sex relationships as being "real", not in the way heterosexual relationships are and quite frankly there are some queer people who feel the same way, they don't see monogamous same-sex relationships as legitimate and look down their noses at queer people who engage in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Oh, so the full interview's not out yet? I assumed it was and that quote was just the most relevant part. But if there's possibly more he said about the subject, hopefully there's a bigger hint or confirmation as to who the character is.
    I haven't seen if the full interview has been released yet, but I have seen some entertainment sites are talking about the interview and mentioned that he doesn't name the character and that the character's identity hasn't been revealed yet.

At this point I seriously think we are waiting for whoever the actor is to come out.

Well they've already confirmed that The Eternals is going to have the first gay superhero in the MCU, so apparently Marvel has decided this is the right franchise to do it in.
    Ah I was tipsy at a party when i commented lol But im not sure tge actor will be getting the kinda hard hittin questions you mention.IItll be different if it was a film like irin man....Vatman etc. it's an ensemble cast kinda weak sauce from the MCU.
    Also I'm not forgetting Valkyrie or Negasonic, I'm just talking about the first gay male superhero, Valkyrie is bi (and they cut the scene confirming her sexuality anyway) and Negasonic is a lesbian. This is the first time there's going to be a male queer superhero in a mainstream superhero movie.
    Ah ok ok ok

As for Richard Madden's sexuality he's been heavily rumoured to be dating a man right now and when asked about it in an interview he refused to confirm or deny it so that's ambiguity right there. Yes he has dated actresses before but that doesn't really mean anything in Hollywood, closeted actors date beards all the time and at least one of his ex-girlfriends is rumoured to be a beard herself. And he might be bisexual and come out as bi.
    He's living with an out gay actor after playing Elton Johns lover not sure if that's a good replacement beard or not lol. But why would he confirm or deny the rumors and potentially alienate some of his fan base? not very ambiguous IMHO just Hollywood being slightly clever
    As for the thing about relationships what I was saying is that homophobic people don't view same-sex relationships as being "real", not in the way heterosexual relationships are and quite frankly there are some queer people who feel the same way, they don't see monogamous same-sex relationships as legitimate and look down their noses at queer people who engage in them.
    I doubt it's specifically queer relationships these gays look down on but monogamous relationships in general gay or straight. Personally i don't get it buut hey I don't ask and they dont Tell how it works lol

At this point I seriously think we are waiting for whoever the actor is to come out.
    Gah that may suck so hard for the actor if it's true. I imagine it could take significant coaxing from Marvel studios, his agent or whoever the actor's has as his 'handlers" He's potentially eliminating himself from being cast in Future projects. a lotta people's coming out is unpleasant in the beginning fear of being rejected running worst case scenarios over in their minds, and that's just coming out to friends family maybe co-workers now add to that anxiety the legions of fans eagerly awaiting the announcement. not an enviable position to be in.Anyway Marvel was so loud about finding an openly gay actor for the role and the silence since the cast was announced they obviously failed. Cool if he does come out but id be stoked if his character is openly gay in the film the coming out to promote a movie is beyond problematic

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Ah I was tipsy at a party when i commented lol But im not sure tge actor will be getting the kinda hard hittin questions you mention.IItll be different if it was a film like irin man....Vatman etc. it's an ensemble cast kinda weak sauce from the MCU.

He's living with an out gay actor after playing Elton Johns lover not sure if that's a good replacement beard or not lol. But why would he confirm or deny the rumors and potentially alienate some of his fan base? not very ambiguous IMHO just Hollywood being slightly clever

I doubt it's specifically queer relationships these gays look down on but monogamous relationships in general gay or straight. Personally i don't get it buut hey I don't ask and they dont Tell how it works lol

Gah that may suck so hard for the actor if it's true. I imagine it could take significant coaxing from Marvel studios, his agent or whoever the actor's has as his 'handlers" He's potentially eliminating himself from being cast in Future projects. a lotta people's coming out is unpleasant in the beginning fear of being rejected running worst case scenarios over in their minds, and that's just coming out to friends family maybe co-workers now add to that anxiety the legions of fans eagerly awaiting the announcement. not an enviable position to be in.Anyway Marvel was so loud about finding an openly gay actor for the role and the silence since the cast was announced they obviously failed. Cool if he does come out but id be stoked if his character is openly gay in the film the coming out to promote a movie is beyond problematic
    An openly gay superhero solo film isn't going to happen for a loooooong time, so it's not surprising that the first gay superhero is going to be in an ensemble film. And I do think whoever is playing the gay character is going to get asked about the significance of playing the first gay superhero in the MCU. The first gay superhero is a big deal, I don't think it's too much of a hard-hitting question to ask about the significance of that.

I get what you're saying about those people looking down on monogamous relationships in general. I just believe that if gay people want to be in a monogamous relationship then that's fine and they shouldn't have to deal with other people criticizing their relationship, especially from other queer people.

Now as for the whole actor coming out to promote the film thing. We know that Marvel wanted an openly gay actor to play this role, they were auditioning gay actors and whoever accepted the role almost certainly is aware of that. I've seen people express a lot of unease over this subject but I don't think it's Marvel "forcing" anyone out of the closet if the actor agreed to sign-on for the role knowing what was expected. If Marvel wants an openly gay actor to play the character and you're a gay actor who doesn't want to come out of the closet then you shouldn't have taken that role. Quite frankly I wish Marvel had cast an openly gay actor to play the role, it would certainly be a lot simpler than waiting for whichever actor they did cast to come out while people debate the ethics of this situation.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 08-26-2019 at 03:24 PM.

All-New Member

An openly gay superhero solo film isn't going to happen for a loooooong time, so it's not surprising that the first gay superhero is going to be in an ensemble film. And I do think whoever is playing the gay character is going to get asked about the significance of playing the first gay superhero in the MCU. The first gay superhero is a big deal, I don't think it's too much of a hard-hitting question to ask about the significance of that.

I get what you're saying about those people looking down on monogamous relationships in general. I just believe that if gay people want to be in a monogamous relationship then that's fine and they shouldn't have to deal with other people criticizing their relationship, especially from other queer people.

Now as for the whole actor coming out to promote the film thing. We know that Marvel wanted an openly gay actor to play this role, they were auditioning gay actors and whoever accepted the role almost certainly is aware of that. I've seen people express a lot of unease over this subject but I don't think it's Marvel "forcing" anyone out of the closet if the actor agreed to sign-on for the role knowing what was expected. If Marvel wants an openly gay actor to play the character and you're a gay actor who doesn't want to come out of the closet then you shouldn't have taken that role. Quite frankly I wish Marvel had cast an openly gay actor to play the role, it would certainly be a lot simpler than waiting for whichever actor they did cast to come out while people debate the ethics of this situation.
    Hi! I hope you guys don’t mind me popping into the conversation, I know this might be going to sound like a bit of an odd ask 🙈

But I just stumbled across this discussion today while I was looking for any new info on who will be the mystery gay character in Eternals (I feel you on researching for any tidbits, though from what I read (obviously haven’t read loads of the thread as I just stumbled upon it today and was reading backwards 😆 But I did read more pages than I really had time to! 😁 as I found it very interesting) you have been way more successful at turning up bits of info on it than me!)

Anyway, what I’m actually messaging you to ask is, please would you be able to link me to the twitter account of the film critic on twitter who said “"it's a supporting role, always has been" in response to Angelina’s casting and was hinting about Phastos? I ask because I remember coming across that tweet, the one about Angelina’s role being a supporting one, and with all the people claiming to KNOW the mystery character is going to be Ikaris since Kit H’s casting and D23 I’ve been trying to remember lately who it was because they seemed to have more actual knowledge than most of the tweets I’m seeing, and I was SO annoyed at myself for not following them at the time. I had given up on finding who it was actually, so I couldn’t believe it when I saw you reference that tweet! 😁

(Sorry, I know this is coming out of the blue, and I hope it’s not seeming too odd! 😆 )

Also, apologies if this has been posted and I missed it, but to try and contribute to the thread a very small bit, there's a small snippet from the interview about the mystery character in this clip with Kevin Feige saying saying the gay storyline is a sweet and important part of his story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa0d02Nwjuk

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Hi! I hope you guys don’t mind me popping into the conversation, I know this might be going to sound like a bit of an odd ask ��

But I just stumbled across this discussion today while I was looking for any new info on who will be the mystery gay character in Eternals (I feel you on researching for any tidbits, though from what I read (obviously haven’t read loads of the thread as I just stumbled upon it today and was reading backwards �� But I did read more pages than I really had time to! �� as I found it very interesting) you have been way more successful at turning up bits of info on it than me!)

Anyway, what I’m actually messaging you to ask is, please would you be able to link me to the twitter account of the film critic on twitter who said “"it's a supporting role, always has been" in response to Angelina’s casting and was hinting about Phastos? I ask because I remember coming across that tweet, the one about Angelina’s role being a supporting one, and with all the people claiming to KNOW the mystery character is going to be Ikaris since Kit H’s casting and D23 I’ve been trying to remember lately who it was because they seemed to have more actual knowledge than most of the tweets I’m seeing, and I was SO annoyed at myself for not following them at the time. I had given up on finding who it was actually, so I couldn’t believe it when I saw you reference that tweet! ��

(Sorry, I know this is coming out of the blue, and I hope it’s not seeming too odd! �� )

Also, apologies if this has been posted and I missed it, but to try and contribute to the thread a very small bit, there's a small snippet from the interview about the mystery character in this clip with Kevin Feige saying saying the gay storyline is a sweet and important part of his story.

I don't mind you popping into the conversation at all, in fact I greatly appreciate it.

The film critic I mentioned earlier is Gregory Ellwood. https://twitter.com/TheGregoryE I don't know how much inside information he had but he was one of the few people who was not surprised to hear that Angelina is not playing Sersi and is in a supporting role instead. He's the one who seemed to suggest that Brian Tyree Henry is playing the gay character, if I was interpreting his hints correctly. Again I'm basing that mostly on a smiley face emoji, lol.

Thank you very much for linking that extended clip, I had not seen that before and it suggests two things to me:
    1.) If the gay character is Ikaris then I doubt his family gets fridged like in the comics if Feige is referring to the character's family as being "a very sweet part of his story".
    2.) Feige saying the gay character's storyline is "an important part of the movie", highly suggests that the character isn't a minor character that's only in a couple scenes which sounds more like it'll be Ikaris than Phastos.

I also noticed someone on twitter pointing out that it's a bit suspicious that Richard Madden hasn't been talking much about his character in interviews.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Not just his story, but an important part of the movie, he claims. That's... interesting. Let's hope they can keep that promise.