View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 951 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 45185190194194794894995095195295395495596110011051 ... LastLast
Results 14,251 to 14,265 of 16971

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I doubt one had anything to do with the other. Phyla had already stopped being Quasar a while before she was killed off; so Avril being alive would have no impact at all on Phyla's return -- especially since Phyla has powers of her own, independent of the quantum bands.
    Maybe. Them making Avril a lesbian always seemed to me like it was in response to replacing Phyla. Like they knew people would inevitably accuse them of replacing a lesbian hero with a straight girl (even though Phyla had been dead for years by that point), so they felt the new Quasar had to be gay too.

Spencer just wants diverse new heroes. His Swordswoman and Giant-Man are gay, too.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Maybe. Them making Avril a lesbian always seemed to me like it was in response to replacing Phyla. Like they knew people would inevitably accuse them of replacing a lesbian hero with a straight girl (even though Phyla had been dead for years by that point), so they felt the new Quasar had to be gay too.
    Except Avril didn't replace Phyla--she replaced Wendell. Phyla had stopped being Quasar, given the quantum bands back to Wendell and she had become Martyr. There is no reason for anyone to accuse them of "replacing" Phyla with Avril, since there is no direct line between the two. If anything, making Avril a lesbian increased the problem, since it made her look like a retread of Phyla. "Oh look, Marvel is replacing Wendell with a lesbian again. Why are they so obsessed with replacing him with lesbians?"

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Spencer just wants diverse new heroes. His Swordswoman and Giant-Man are gay, too.
    True. And he also outed Demolition Man as gay. Spencer's track record is pretty close to Matt Fraction's, in terms of having at least some LGBT content in almost every Marvel book he's written.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Except Avril didn't replace Phyla--she replaced Wendell. Phyla had stopped being Quasar, given the quantum bands back to Wendell and she had become Martyr. There is no reason for anyone to accuse them of "replacing" Phyla with Avril, since there is no direct line between the two. If anything, making Avril a lesbian increased the problem, since it made her look like a retread of Phyla. "Oh look, Marvel is replacing Wendell with a lesbian again. Why are they so obsessed with replacing him with lesbians?"
    Not gonna lie, that thought did cross my mind :P

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Ben Deeds (Morph) and Nathaniel Carver (Hindsight). I miss these dorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post

Ben Deeds (Morph) and Nathaniel Carver (Hindsight). I miss these dorks.
    Particularly nice job with the Benjamin half transformation. Always enjoy that!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I think western comics are not that bad with LGBTQ representation as the article seems to imply. As a matter of fact, as far as queer rep goes, I'd say superhero comics are way ahead of superhero film and TV on that aspect. Like, they question how many trans characters we can name from the comics and they're right, it's not many. But at least we can mention more than one. If you question how many trans characters we have on live-action superhero production, you can only point to one character on the Supergirl TV show. And let's not act like anime has an abundant number of trans rep, to be fair. Also, I think some of the examples they provided were not the best. Like, I love CLAMP, but their queer representation on animes like Cardcaptor Sakura were not exactly that different from queerbaiting. Everyone knows Touya and Yukito are a couple, but the show continually refuses to explicitly portray them as such, even now on the modern sequel the anime got last year. A lot of people tend to justify that by saying that ''it's a kids show and they don't want to do explicit romance'', but that's not what I see with the endless screentime dedicated to the romance between Sakura and Syaoran. The show clearly doesn't have a problem with opposite-sex kids/preteens being in love with each other, but an older same-sex couple like Touya/Yukito is always portrayed like they're best mates. The Tsubasa series, another CLAMP franchise, has the same problem. We have an AU version of Sakura/Syaoran being this power couple again, and then you have Fay/Kurogane, two men who are often coded as a couple by CLAMP standards, but never actually engage in any explicit romantic relationship throughout the series. Sailor Moon was probably a better example.

So, I get the point of the article... but I don't necessarily agree with everything. I haven't watched all the animes they mentioned either, so maybe there are some genuine good queer rep in there that I'm not aware of. I've heard good things about Yuri On Ice.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 06-08-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Bling! and Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    Particularly nice job with the Benjamin half transformation. Always enjoy that!
    Thanks, I was worried it was going to be too subtle without color.

tumblr_psy9e5OFCm1ttibsk_400.jpg

I love that Billy is in a new book, but since when is he a ruthless guy that does jobs other heroes can't do?

I wonder if it isn't just solicits being misleading. It could easily just be a team that fights eldritch horrors or whatnot.

That variant cover for Marvel Comics #1000 got updated and they added the JP/Kyle wedding kiss:

Quote Originally Posted by Ticomat View Post

I love that Billy is in a new book, but since when is he a ruthless guy that does jobs other heroes can't do?
    Ever since Tini Howard decided she just wanted to have him in the book because she likes him, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I wonder if it isn't just solicits being misleading. It could easily just be a team that fights eldritch horrors or whatnot.
    Yeah, there might be some exaggeration going on there. If the team is going up against mystical threats like it's implied, it makes sense that Billy would be there. His powers could be useful.

Anyway, it just occurred to me: Billy and Angela interacting! I'm curious to see how that's going to be. I wonder what his thoughts on her are, considering he used to be a Thor fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticomat View Post

Somebody proposed that this team's formation may have been spurred by the War of Realms event. Supernatural threats and such. So, with that in mind (potentially, anyway) we'd have to consider the threats. I mean, "ruthless" response to, say -- an army of undead or savage demon beasts hellbent on ravaging a city or something of that nature -- then I say faster pussycat, kill kill. Then again, with Billy's powerset -- maybe he'll be exploring less lethal solutions to resolving these threats. Maybe he purges souls of evil? Maybe he turns demon dogs into fluffy pups? Who knows. Eager to find out. Nervous too.

Cullen Bloodstone and Striker

loveislovemarveldchighres.jpg
    https://twitter.com/LucianoVecchio/s...30268493172737
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vecchio
    Happy and Empowering #Pridemonth, everyone! Here's a FREE high res file of this piece if you want to download and print it for personal use: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pu...AlJkCn5p73YAW_

Also I need help to update it. Which LGBTQ+ characters have been outed or introduced in the last two years? #pride
    Nice piece I saw on Jamie McKelvie's timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Ooh, I was actually looking for a high resolution version of this art, so thanks for sharing his tweet!

And cool that he wants to update it with recently outed characters. Nico should definitely be added on the Marvel side.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 06-14-2019 at 11:43 AM.