View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
764. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

27 3.53%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.57%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

20 2.62%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

44 5.76%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

41 5.37%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

41 5.37%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

43 5.63%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

66 8.64%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

39 5.10%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

112 14.66%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

60 7.85%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

21 2.75%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

38 4.97%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

47 6.15%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

153 20.03%
Page 1005 of 1014 FirstFirst ... 5505905955995100110021003100410051006100710081009 ... LastLast
Results 15,061 to 15,075 of 15205
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Oh, I know there are some complaints. But my point is: if Marvel announced an all-queer team and an all-cis-het team today, which one of the two would get the most complaints about? Let's not act like there isn't a double standard here where all-white, all-male, all-cis-het groups get to exist and be seen as ''natural'', but once you try to do the same with females and minorities, then it's ''sEgReGaTiOn''. It's bullshit. There's a reason why the LGBTQ community (and other minority groups) has created queer spaces in real life. It's not about wanting to exclude those outside of the community, but creating an environment where your group can get the visibility it's been denied to you over the years.

I really hope Ewing takes over the flagship Avengers book (better yet, let him be the head of the Avengers line like Hickman is to the X-titles). The Avengers seriously need someone who can make their line-ups feel interesting again.
    Ah, I misunderstood what you meant there. Sorry.

I think the major issue with the whole 'segregation' thing would be we can guess exactly what a company like Marvel would do. They cram a small number of LGBT characters in and use the book as an excuse why others couldn't appear elsewhere. And they'd probably do their best to bury the book and give it as little attention and impact as possible while looking for the first excuse to cancel it. Can't speak for others but I'd like some good LGBT rep in the 'main' or 'flagship' books more than an all LGBT team.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Ah, I misunderstood what you meant there. Sorry.

I think the major issue with the whole 'segregation' thing would be we can guess exactly what a company like Marvel would do. They cram a small number of LGBT characters in and use the book as an excuse why others couldn't appear elsewhere. And they'd probably do their best to bury the book and give it as little attention and impact as possible while looking for the first excuse to cancel it. Can't speak for others but I'd like some good LGBT rep in the 'main' or 'flagship' books more than an all LGBT team.
    I honestly don't see any evidence this would happen, based on the way similar teams have been treated (A-Force, The Crew, Agents Of Atlas), so I'm willing to trust Marvel on this aspect.

I will agree that the promotion for the book would probably suck, though, and that's a problem not just with queer-led titles, but with a lot of other titles as well. Marvel should just promote their books better, period. And then there's the issue of how comic books are distributed and how it's not favorable for some books and the audience they can reach, but that's a whole other topic.

At the end of the day, I would still support an all-queer team. And there's no reason why we can't have that AND good representation on a flagship book at the same time. One doesn't have to exclude the other. Hell, I'd say it's about time we have a flagship team that ALSO is all-queer. I will never complain about more representation.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 02-15-2020 at 12:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    As it is, it was kind of a miracle that Ewing dusted him off for No Surrender. He seems to really like the 80s Avengers.
    Living Lightning barely felt like he got used at all, as it is, in No Surrender, which was disappointing. It kinda seems like a no-brainer to develop him a bit. He's got a totally cool powerset (people turning into energy being a pretty rare powerset in comics, with Monica Rambeau, and Superfriend Black Vulcan, Air Wave, and some Legion foes Lazon and Quanto being pretty much it).

Hopefully he shows up again someday. It's a pretty decent time for lower-tier ex-Avengers like Jocasta and Machine Man to be showing up in books, so perhaps he'll get another shot. It's not like Marvel exactly runneth over with Latino/Hispanic heroes, and it can always use a few more gay heroes...

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Have people seen the new designs for Daken in the upcoming X-Factor series?

Dude's been lifting.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

I like it better than the weird cowboy look he had in Wolverines

Not a fan of most of those redesigns on that team, to be honest.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I like Daken's look, but there's something about the way his face is drawn that's been bothering me on the released artwork so far. I guess it's the way they made him look so much like Logan, maybe? I prefer when artists highlight his asian features more.

Mighty Member

The Week In Gay:

Agents Of Wakanda #6 - Deadpool guest starred

Excalibur #7 - in addition to the usual LGBT characters in this book, Cullen Bloodstone also begins a guest starring stint here. It seems like Cullen has embraced his family estate and heritage since last we saw him...

Hawkeye: Freefall #3 - Aimee (one of the residents of Hawkeye's building, from the Matt Fraction run) makes a cameo appearance here. We also end up with a couple of amusing pages of naked Clint Barton (LMD Clint anyway)

Immortal HUlk #31 - I get this book in trade format, so I don't know the details but I hear that supporting character Dr. Charlene McGowan is implied to be transgender in this issue (and that Al Ewing has confirmed that is the case and that future issues will explore it further)

Iron Man 2020 #2 - Machinesmith has a larger role in this issue than he had in #1

X-Men #6 - Mystique has a central role to this issue and Destiny appears in flashbacks.

No LGBT content in-story as of yet, but Vita Ayala's Nebula #1 was a great start to the miniseries! Nebula has long been one of my favourite villains.

And a quick mention of a book I missed a few weeks back. Amazing Spider-Man #38 had a Machinesmith cameo appearance.

McGowan is more than implied. She has a mug with a Captain America Shield in trans colors

And in a flashback she talks about making her own HRT at her job and how they could sell some to make a profit

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Living Lightning barely felt like he got used at all, as it is, in No Surrender, which was disappointing.
    Really? I kinda thought he was the star of the book as much as there could be one with a cast that size.
    “The Scarlet Witch is the only thing that will scare them. It’s the only thing they’ll respect.” - Hope Summers, Avengers vs X-Men #7

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Really? I kinda thought he was the star of the book as much as there could be one with a cast that size.
    I guess I don't remember it that well, it seemed like it was Voyager, Quicksilver and Hercules-heavy, to me, but I may have been out of my mind on medication that season.

That was a weird mischaracterization of Cullen in Excalibur. He's never acted like that before. Nor has he ever been that old.

I'm.. Yeah, I don't like it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    That was a weird mischaracterization of Cullen in Excalibur. He's never acted like that before. Nor has he ever been that old.

I don't think he's really that much older than he was the last time we've seen him. He's acting a bit more mature (in some ways), perhaps, but that's not exactly the same thing.

He is, however, definitely acting a bit darker. But even that isn't out of nowhere. The guy has a demon inside him, after all. We saw in AVENGERS UNDERCOVER that he was struggling with the dark side a bit, so its not out of the question to think that as time's gone by that he might not start to lean a little more to the dark side. We've seen similar issues with Daimon Hellstorm as well, who has swung back and forth between hero, villain and everything inbetween.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this new version of Bloodstone yet, but I don't think its out of line from what's already been established. Its just altered his trajectory a bit from the path he was on when last we saw him.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post

What was he in Arena/Undercover - 16? Here, he is anything from 18 given we see him drinking in a bar.

I dunno that his age is that easy to place given nothing is made explicit. I agree he is completely out of character though. The hunting stuff and the embracing of his money/status is just so far away from the sullen Cullen rebel we saw before. Though granted, I am sure plenty of spoilt rich kids rebel as teens before becoming typical toffs.

I still dislike what this book has done to Brian, so it butchering another UK based character is just typical at this point.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member

Here is another eternals thread and more phastos talk.
    THE ETERNALS GENERAL DISSCUSSION AND SPECULATION THREAD
    https://forums.superherohype.com/thr...545479/page-56