View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
748. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

    26 3.48%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

    12 1.60%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

    20 2.67%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

    44 5.88%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

    37 4.95%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

    40 5.35%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

    43 5.75%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

    64 8.56%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

    39 5.21%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

    109 14.57%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

    60 8.02%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

    21 2.81%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

    37 4.95%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

    46 6.15%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

    150 20.05%
Page 972 of 983 FirstFirst ... 472872922962968969970971972973974975976982 ... LastLast
Results 14,566 to 14,580 of 14743
  1. #14566
    Benefactor / Malefactor H-E-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,807

    Default

    I did appreciate that she didn't shy away from the craziness of comics in favor of a more grounded approach like you often get from a novelist taking on a first comic.

  2. #14567
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,393

    Default

    Sooo, we've been so busy talking about Eternals that I don't think anyone thought of pointing out some new MCU projects that could give us LGBTQ representation: Moon Knight with Frenchie and Ms. Marvel with Zoe. Not sure about Zoe, but I'm expecting Frenchie to play a significant supporting role in the MK show, due to their history together. I hope the show explores Frenchie's feelings for Marc in a more fleshed out way than the comics did.

    Also, She-Hulk is not really known for particular LGBTQ representations (I know she had a gay assistant in her last solo series, but I'm not sure if they're taking any inspiration from that), but I would love if the show had some, just because Shulk is a low-key queer icon on social media for some reason. I've been seeing sooo many people suggesting trans actresses to play her lately, for example.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-31-2019 at 05:34 AM.

  3. #14568
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    2,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Sooo, we've been so busy talking about Eternals that I don't think anyone thought of pointing out some new MCU projects that could give us LGBTQ representation: Moon Knight with Frenchie and Ms. Marvel with Zoe. Not sure about Zoe, but I'm expecting Frenchie to play a significant supporting role in the MK show, due to their history together. I hope the show explores Frenchie's feelings for Marc in a more fleshed out way than the comics did.

    Also, She-Hulk is not really known for particular LGBTQ representations (I know she had a gay assistant in her last solo series, but I'm not sure if they're taking any inspiration from that), but I would love if the show had some, just because Shulk is a low-key queer icon on social media for some reason. I've been seeing sooo many people suggesting trans actresses to play her lately, for example.
    This is one of those things where I'm not sure if that's problematic or not?
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

  4. #14569
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    This is one of those things where I'm not sure if that's problematic or not?
    This is silly.

    I’m sure they wouldn’t have entertained the idea of a She-Hulk show if they hadn’t mastered the process that gave us Hulk, Smart Hulk, and Thanos.

  5. #14570
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Sooo, we've been so busy talking about Eternals that I don't think anyone thought of pointing out some new MCU projects that could give us LGBTQ representation: Moon Knight with Frenchie and Ms. Marvel with Zoe. Not sure about Zoe, but I'm expecting Frenchie to play a significant supporting role in the MK show, due to their history together. I hope the show explores Frenchie's feelings for Marc in a more fleshed out way than the comics did.

    Also, She-Hulk is not really known for particular LGBTQ representations (I know she had a gay assistant in her last solo series, but I'm not sure if they're taking any inspiration from that), but I would love if the show had some, just because Shulk is a low-key queer icon on social media for some reason. I've been seeing sooo many people suggesting trans actresses to play her lately, for example.
    That's a very good point. I have been hoping that we see some LGBT characters in the Disney+ shows, but I was also concerned that they might include LGBT people in the tv shows but not the movies. Fortunately the news about The Eternals and Thor: Love & Thunder has mostly assuaged those concerns.

    I hope Frenchie is a big part of the Moon Knight show and that he's more than just a butler. I know he's supposed to be the Alfred to Moon Knight's Batman but I'm hoping he gets to do more than just drive Moon Knight around.

    As for the She-Hulk thing I can totally see where it could potentially be problematic, but I've really been struggling with how to phrase my thoughts on this so people will understand. Ultimately though it has to do with She-Hulk being a large, muscular woman and preconceptions about trans-women's bodies. I honestly think it's probably a bad idea to cast trans actress in that role.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 08-31-2019 at 05:35 PM.

  6. #14571

    This Week's Comics:Fallen Angels #1, GI Joe: A Real American Hero #268

  7. #14572
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,198

    Default

    After HoXPox, the easily say X-Men need more Destiny. Resurrect the old lady, Marvel.

  8. #14573
    Astonishing Member Silvermoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,717

    Default

    Yeah I agree. Her and pyro are due for big comebacks

  9. #14574
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Also, She-Hulk is not really known for particular LGBTQ representations (I know she had a gay assistant in her last solo series, but I'm not sure if they're taking any inspiration from that), but I would love if the show had some, just because Shulk is a low-key queer icon on social media for some reason. I've been seeing sooo many people suggesting trans actresses to play her lately, for example.
    Actually, She-Hulk has tended to have LGBT supporting characters in her last several series. As you mentioned there was her assistant Andrew in the Tamaki run. Before that there was her landlord Sharon King in the Soule run (Sharon also went on to be a supporting character in Hellcat's solo book). The Peter David run had Jazinda, Jen's lesbian Skrull partner who was secretly in love with her. Thundra was also a recurring character in that run when Jen was leading the Liberators and it was that run which outed Thundra as bisexual. In Dan Slott's run where was Crimson, a SHIELD sorcerer who was part of the SHIELD unit she was part of for a little while after the first Civil War. He wasn't explicitly stated to be gay, but it was implied in his comments on the visual appeal of Agent Beefcake. An argument can also be made for Ditto from that same run. He wasn't ever explicitly stated to be LGBT, but he repeatedly used his shape-shifting powers to turn into a female form. One could argue that was just a honeypot ploy for his role as a process server, but he also spent several weeks as "Dottie", the new secretary for the law office. Aside from stereotypes about secretaries being women, there was no particular reason Ditto needed to take female form for that role.

    As for Shulkie's position as a queer icon (which I would expect is the case in-story in the Marvel Universe as well), historically the gay community has embraced powerful women who are smart, strong, sexy, etc, and She-Hulk embodies all of those qualities. She's flamboyant and fabulous and quick with a witty quip. Her SENSATIONAL series in the 90s is probably the earliest comic I can think of to have letters printed on the letters page by readers who openly identified themselves as gay.

    So yeah, I completely agree that there should be some LGBTQ inclusion in She-Hulk's MCU series.

  10. #14575
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    471

    Default

    I found the Bryne run to be very queer-friendly sheerly because it tried to have equal representation when it came to fan service.

  11. #14576
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    The Week In Gay:

    Black Panther #15 - I am not currently reading this book, but I was reference to Taku appearing. If anyone here is reading this book, is this the same Taku who was introduced and implied to be gay back in Don McGregor's BLACK PANTHER run?

    Captain America #13 - Toni Ho cameo

    Fantastic Four: Yancy Street #1 - there was a gay couple shown among the good people of Yancy Street that Ben Grimm was fighting to save from eviction. They were just background cameo characters, but it was still a nice little touch of inclusion.

    Marvel Comics #1000 - plenty of LGBT characters made appearances, and several LGBT creators contributed.

    Power Pack: Grow Up - this one-shot takes place years ago, before Julie came out as bisexual

    Runaways #24

    She-Hulk Annual #1 - Machinesmith has a vital role in the story.

    I think that's everything, although for the wait-for-trade crowd AGE OF X-MAN: X-TREMISTS was released this week, which features multiple LGBT characters and was written by Leah Williams.

    Did I miss anything?

  12. #14577
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    As for the She-Hulk thing I can totally see where it could potentially be problematic, but I've really been struggling with how to phrase my thoughts on this so people will understand. Ultimately though it has to do with She-Hulk being a large, muscular woman and preconceptions about trans-women's bodies. I honestly think it's probably a bad idea to cast trans actress in that role.
    I don't think it's much of an issue. Hollywood revolves around looks. The way actors look plays a huge part in how they get certain roles, specially when we're talking about superhero roles. So if some trans women have the advantage of having the type of physique that could land them a certain superhero role, I say it's great for them, because that's usually a privilege they don't have for other roles. Quite the contrary; trans actors constantly talk about how being trans sometimes is what keeps them from getting roles. Plus, I've seen at least one trans actress offering herself for the role, so if she as a trans woman doesn't feel offended at the possibility of playing this character, I'm not gonna be offended for her. I also think the show could work around any bad conotations by not necessarily making Jen to be trans in the MCU. Not only that would not come off as they are typecasting the trans actress, but it could avoid any association between her ''Hulkness'' and her being trans in that universe. Ultimately, if they keep the portrayal of how Jen can be a Hulk and that doesn't make her any less of a woman, I don't think it really matters what is the gender identity of whoever plays her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Actually, She-Hulk has tended to have LGBT supporting characters in her last several series. As you mentioned there was her assistant Andrew in the Tamaki run. Before that there was her landlord Sharon King in the Soule run (Sharon also went on to be a supporting character in Hellcat's solo book). The Peter David run had Jazinda, Jen's lesbian Skrull partner who was secretly in love with her. Thundra was also a recurring character in that run when Jen was leading the Liberators and it was that run which outed Thundra as bisexual. In Dan Slott's run where was Crimson, a SHIELD sorcerer who was part of the SHIELD unit she was part of for a little while after the first Civil War. He wasn't explicitly stated to be gay, but it was implied in his comments on the visual appeal of Agent Beefcake. An argument can also be made for Ditto from that same run. He wasn't ever explicitly stated to be LGBT, but he repeatedly used his shape-shifting powers to turn into a female form. One could argue that was just a honeypot ploy for his role as a process server, but he also spent several weeks as "Dottie", the new secretary for the law office. Aside from stereotypes about secretaries being women, there was no particular reason Ditto needed to take female form for that role.

    As for Shulkie's position as a queer icon (which I would expect is the case in-story in the Marvel Universe as well), historically the gay community has embraced powerful women who are smart, strong, sexy, etc, and She-Hulk embodies all of those qualities. She's flamboyant and fabulous and quick with a witty quip. Her SENSATIONAL series in the 90s is probably the earliest comic I can think of to have letters printed on the letters page by readers who openly identified themselves as gay.

    So yeah, I completely agree that there should be some LGBTQ inclusion in She-Hulk's MCU series.
    I guess She-Hulk has a bigger record with LGBTQ rep than I remember.... But still, I have a hard time seeing most of those show up, with the exception of Thundra, I guess, since she is a little bit more high profile than the other characters. But let's hope for the best.

    And yeah, I think you're spot on on the reason why Shulk is a popular character among the LGBTQ community. She really does fit the profile of the revered female persona in queer pop culture.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-01-2019 at 01:28 AM.

  13. #14578
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,248

    Default

    The internet rumour mill is now claiming Troye Sivan is in talks with Marvel to play Wiccan. It's probably a made-up rumour but just a few days ago I was thinking to myself that Troye would probably be first on Marvel's list to audition for Wiccan. He is a young, gay, Jewish twink so he's kinda perfect for the role. I've never seen any of his work so I can't comment on his acting ability, but I'd probably just be relieved that they cast an openly gay actor for the role. That is assuming it turns out to be true anyway.

  14. #14579
    Benefactor / Malefactor H-E-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    The internet rumour mill is now claiming Troye Sivan is in talks with Marvel to play Wiccan. It's probably a made-up rumour but just a few days ago I was thinking to myself that Troye would probably be first on Marvel's list to audition for Wiccan. He is a young, gay, Jewish twink so he's kinda perfect for the role. I've never seen any of his work so I can't comment on his acting ability, but I'd probably just be relieved that they cast an openly gay actor for the role. That is assuming it turns out to be true anyway.
    That sounds like peak fancasting, which almost never turns out to be true. But I've been wrong before.

  15. #14580
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    That sounds like peak fancasting, which almost never turns out to be true. But I've been wrong before.
    It really does. I've seen Troye being fancast as Wiccan quite a number of times. The one thing that makes me question this is the fact that while Troye still seems to be interested in acting (he was in a movie last year), he has mostly stuck to his music career, and being a part of a huge franchise like Marvel requires A LOT of time that I'm not sure he would be willing to sacrifice as someone who is a musician most of the time. Maybe if it was a smaller role, but something like Wiccan would most likely be tied to a bigger franchise down the line, even if he's introduced in a smaller role now.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •