View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 1004 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 4504904954994100010011002100310041005100610071008101410541104 ... LastLast
Results 15,046 to 15,060 of 16972
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    Not a fan of a gay team. Imo that defeats what we, as in the gay community, have been working to achieve. Equality. If the team is separated from the normal teams it is not equal. However, when there are 1 or 2 or however many gay heroes in a normal team such as the X-Men or the Avengers it shows that Marvel is accepting and politically correct. All I've wanted is to be accepted into society, not cast away and forced to be with people my own kind away from the main stage.
    There is no real equality in Marvel Comics. Do you honestly think the vast majority of people stop to think about equality when it comes to creating superhero groups? Look at the flagship Avengers book. Look at Savage Avengers. How many queer characters do you see on their rosters? ZERO. How many people are complaining about it? How many other teams like that have existed over the years and people were just fine with them? How is it egalitarian that cis-het people get to have that, but we can't have the same? Sounds like the opposite of equality to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    There is no real equality in Marvel Comics. Do you honestly think the vast majority of people stop to think about equality when it comes to creating superhero groups? Look at the flagship Avengers book. Look at Savage Avengers. How many queer characters do you see on their rosters? ZERO. How many people are complaining about it? How many other teams like that have existed over the years and people were just fine with them? How is it egalitarian that cis-het people get to have that, but we can't have the same? Sounds like the opposite of equality to me.
    There are some of us that complain but we tend to get shouted down for ever wanting anything at all. I do recall a couple people saying that the current Avengers team could have used someone like Lightning instead of just hitting us with MCU-linked heroes. And most of the complaints I saw about Savage Avengers were along the lines of "Who asked for this exactly?" and "Why are Venom and Conan on an Avengers team?"

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    Not a fan of a gay team. Imo that defeats what we, as in the gay community, have been working to achieve. Equality. If the team is separated from the normal teams it is not equal. However, when there are 1 or 2 or however many gay heroes in a normal team such as the X-Men or the Avengers it shows that Marvel is accepting and politically correct. All I've wanted is to be accepted into society, not cast away and forced to be with people my own kind away from the main stage.
    I agree. I'd rather not have segregation. Integration is the way forward.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    The representation will be nice, but I've no real interest in the character.

It sounds a bit like what happened with Northstar and Kyle - some headlines and a nice moment, then nothing, because a happy family is generally both hard to write and boring as sin. As such, unless his family get fridged, I can't see him doing much that is going to be impactful outside of being a token.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    It sounds a bit like what happened with Northstar and Kyle - some headlines and a nice moment, then nothing, because a happy family is generally both hard to write and boring as sin.
    I'd have to disagree that a happy family is 'boring as sin'. Its more that it takes a little more effort and creativity than the cheap and recycled drama most writers want to throw in.

That said, I'm not that interested in this character either.

I’m a bit nervous we’re going to end up with a “hey! We’re just like you!” type story. Ok, I mean we all have to start somewhere.

Speaking of living lightning, you’re right. Why aren’t we seeing more of him? Even if they just wanted MCU characters they could eventually make him an MCU character unless there’s a rights issue

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I’m a bit nervous we’re going to end up with a “hey! We’re just like you!” type story. Ok, I mean we all have to start somewhere.

Speaking of living lightning, you’re right. Why aren’t we seeing more of him? Even if they just wanted MCU characters they could eventually make him an MCU character unless there’s a rights issue
    Its not like Robbie in the current run is an MCU character anymore. Or anything like the MCU Ghost Rider. Or anything like Robbie Reyes was before this current run.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post

Because he was never a big deal to begin with and there aren't a lot of writers who have any affection for him, unfortunately. He's one of those dozens of C-list Avengers who you're likely only gonna see around if there's a writer who really fondly remembers them from their youth, or if they get a movie deal. Or, worst case scenario, when they need some bodies for the big new villain to demonstrate he's bad.

As it is, it was kind of a miracle that Ewing dusted him off for No Surrender. He seems to really like the 80s Avengers.
    Last edited by Holt; 02-14-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Its not like Robbie in the current run is an MCU character anymore. Or anything like the MCU Ghost Rider. Or anything like Robbie Reyes was before this current run.
    I was always holding out hope Robbie would come out. Alas not, at least so far.

There are some of us that complain but we tend to get shouted down for ever wanting anything at all. I do recall a couple people saying that the current Avengers team could have used someone like Lightning instead of just hitting us with MCU-linked heroes. And most of the complaints I saw about Savage Avengers were along the lines of "Who asked for this exactly?" and "Why are Venom and Conan on an Avengers team?"
    Oh, I know there are some complaints. But my point is: if Marvel announced an all-queer team and an all-cis-het team today, which one of the two would get the most complaints about? Let's not act like there isn't a double standard here where all-white, all-male, all-cis-het groups get to exist and be seen as ''natural'', but once you try to do the same with females and minorities, then it's ''sEgReGaTiOn''. It's bullshit. There's a reason why the LGBTQ community (and other minority groups) has created queer spaces in real life. It's not about wanting to exclude those outside of the community, but creating an environment where your group can get the visibility it's been denied to you over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Because he was never a big deal to begin with and there aren't a lot of writers who have any affection for him, unfortunately. He's one of those dozens of C-list Avengers who you're likely only gonna see around if there's a writer who really fondly remembers them from their youth, or if they get a movie deal. Or, worst case scenario, when they need some bodies for the big new villain to demonstrate he's bad.

As it is, it was kind of a miracle that Ewing dusted him off for No Surrender. He seems to really like the 80s Avengers.
    I really hope Ewing takes over the flagship Avengers book (better yet, let him be the head of the Avengers line like Hickman is to the X-titles). The Avengers seriously need someone who can make their line-ups feel interesting again.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Oh, I know there are some complaints. But my point is: if Marvel announced an all-queer team and an all-cis-het team today, which one of the two would get the most complaints about? Let's not act like there isn't a double standard here where all-white, all-male, all-cis-het groups get to exist and be seen as ''natural'', but once you try to do the same with females and minorities, then it's ''sEgReGaTiOn''. It's bullshit. There's a reason why the LGBTQ community (and other minority groups) has created queer spaces in real life. It's not about wanting to exclude those outside of the community, but creating an environment where your group can get the visibility it's been denied to you over the years.

I really hope Ewing takes over the flagship Avengers book (better yet, let him be the head of the Avengers line like Hickman is to the X-titles). The Avengers seriously need someone who can make their line-ups feel interesting again.
    Ah, I misunderstood what you meant there. Sorry.

I think the major issue with the whole 'segregation' thing would be we can guess exactly what a company like Marvel would do. They cram a small number of LGBT characters in and use the book as an excuse why others couldn't appear elsewhere. And they'd probably do their best to bury the book and give it as little attention and impact as possible while looking for the first excuse to cancel it. Can't speak for others but I'd like some good LGBT rep in the 'main' or 'flagship' books more than an all LGBT team.

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant there. Sorry.

I think the major issue with the whole 'segregation' thing would be we can guess exactly what a company like Marvel would do. They cram a small number of LGBT characters in and use the book as an excuse why others couldn't appear elsewhere. And they'd probably do their best to bury the book and give it as little attention and impact as possible while looking for the first excuse to cancel it. Can't speak for others but I'd like some good LGBT rep in the 'main' or 'flagship' books more than an all LGBT team.
    I honestly don't see any evidence this would happen, based on the way similar teams have been treated (A-Force, The Crew, Agents Of Atlas), so I'm willing to trust Marvel on this aspect.

I will agree that the promotion for the book would probably suck, though, and that's a problem not just with queer-led titles, but with a lot of other titles as well. Marvel should just promote their books better, period. And then there's the issue of how comic books are distributed and how it's not favorable for some books and the audience they can reach, but that's a whole other topic.

At the end of the day, I would still support an all-queer team. And there's no reason why we can't have that AND good representation on a flagship book at the same time. One doesn't have to exclude the other. Hell, I'd say it's about time we have a flagship team that ALSO is all-queer. I will never complain about more representation.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 02-15-2020 at 12:36 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Living Lightning barely felt like he got used at all, as it is, in No Surrender, which was disappointing. It kinda seems like a no-brainer to develop him a bit. He's got a totally cool powerset (people turning into energy being a pretty rare powerset in comics, with Monica Rambeau, and Superfriend Black Vulcan, Air Wave, and some Legion foes Lazon and Quanto being pretty much it).

Hopefully he shows up again someday. It's a pretty decent time for lower-tier ex-Avengers like Jocasta and Machine Man to be showing up in books, so perhaps he'll get another shot. It's not like Marvel exactly runneth over with Latino/Hispanic heroes, and it can always use a few more gay heroes...

Have people seen the new designs for Daken in the upcoming X-Factor series?

Dude's been lifting.

I like it better than the weird cowboy look he had in Wolverines