View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 1131 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 131631103110811121112711281129113011311132 LastLast
Results 16,951 to 16,965 of 16972

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Its probably in reference to various LGBTQ+ characters connected to Spider-Man. Black Cat would be the most prominent, but there is also a link to Iceman that has been carried over into the comics thanks to the AMAZING FRIENDS cartoon of the 80s. Web-Weaver is a gay Spider-Man from an alternate universe, and he had Peter have teamed up in Spider-Verse adventures. Max Modell worked with Peter Parker and has helped Spider-Man on occasion, and Peter was a guest at Max and Hector's wedding. Spidey and Deadpool have also been close allies--they co-starred in a team-up book that lasted for 50 issues, and was full of homoerotic subtext (and just plain text) about their friendship.

For that matter Spidey's friendship with Johnny Storm has also been noted for its homoerotic moments, although Johnny has not been officially outed.
    I mean ASM as a franchise, not Peter specifically. It's always been playing catch up to everyone else when it comes to queer representation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I mean ASM as a franchise, not Peter specifically. It's always been playing catch up to everyone else when it comes to queer representation.
    Fair enough, but the book does have a number of LGBTQ+ characters in its extended supporting cast now.

I am more surprised at DAREDEVIL getting one of the Pride Allies variant covers. I can't really think of any obvious connections there, unless I am having a brain fart...

Fair enough, but the book does have a number of LGBTQ+ characters in its extended supporting cast now.

I am more surprised at DAREDEVIL getting one of the Pride Allies variant covers. I can't really think of any obvious connections there, unless I am having a brain fart...
    Yeah, I can't think of anything either.

Is there anything actually saying that there won't be LGBTQ+ characters on those covers as well? I would guess that they will likely be showing the 'ally' character with their queer friends, teammates, etc.
    I mean, the impression given is that even if they're on the cover...they won't be the focus. The focus will be on the 'allies'...which is not a good look during Pride month. The LGBTQ+ characters shouldn't be shoved into the background. Hell, they're not even giving us a 'Voices: Pride' issue this year...its "X-men Wedding Special" instead

And it looks like this is how the covers will be turning out:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...l-summers-loki

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    And it looks like this is how the covers will be turning out:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...l-summers-loki
    Lol, the "allies" are just randomly paired up with characters they have nothing to do with?

That's the corniest idea Marvel ever came up with for Pride lol.

Wondering if this is a sign of things to come for the Voices anthologies as a whole. They've already been altering the premises of these books for a while now.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Lol, the "allies" are just randomly paired up with characters they have nothing to do with?
    Well, Spider-man and Northstar are the first Marvel hero and the first gay Marvel hero... and why does my spellchecker autocorrect "gay" to "day"?
    No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
    - Helen Keller

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

If I had to guess, Pride variant covers spotlighting characters who have nothing to do with those titles might have sadly not sold very well in the past, so this feels like a business move to make the covers more attractive to people who wouldn't usually buy them. I don't think it's that big of a deal as long as they are still spotlighting the queer characters. Sometimes you gotta bet on some gimmicks to sell.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I swear Kraven came on to Spider-Man in "Kravens Last Hunt" he said something like "Does my affection embarrass you?" Does anyone else remember that? Kraven is probably not the best representation of homosexuality considering what he did to Peter but still...

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I swear Kraven came on to Spider-Man in "Kravens Last Hunt" he said something like "Does my affection embarrass you?" Does anyone else remember that? Kraven is probably not the best representation of homosexuality considering what he did to Peter but still...
    I don't know about Kraven, but his brother was totally gay for Spider-Man.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I don't know about Kraven, but his brother was totally gay for Spider-Man.
    Thats interesting because I found this scan and it appears I was right about Kraven. What are the chances that Kraven and his son would both be gay? It may have been a cop out not to make Kraven gay because he was a bigger character and it might piss some people off.

Here is the page.

Astonishing Member

I mean, the impression given is that even if they're on the cover...they won't be the focus. The focus will be on the 'allies'...which is not a good look during Pride month. The LGBTQ+ characters shouldn't be shoved into the background.
    And they aren't. We've only seen two of the covers so far--but on both of them the gay character had equal focus to the 'ally' character.

The fact that the pairings seem totally random is weird, but the LGBT character spotlight at least doesn't seem to be significantly diminished.

Hell, they're not even giving us a 'Voices: Pride' issue this year...its "X-men Wedding Special" instead
    Yeah, that choice of title is weird given that the announcement suggested that the wedding is only one of the stories in the special, and that it will also include other (non-X-Men) characters in other stories, like the past PRIDE specials. I get that they want to make a big deal out of the Mystique/Destiny wedding for some extra hype to the one-shot...but its an odd choice to re-title the whole issue that way. I would have made the wedding special its own separate one-shot.

Astonishing Member

There are definitely some queer vibes to Kraven in that arc but I would't necessarily assume that 'affection' line is intended as romantic or sexual. Kraven is pretty warped in the head and his feelings for "the spider" are very much wrapped up in his hunter/prey mindset; he doesn't entirely view Spider-Man as a 'man'.

What are the chances that Kraven and his son would both be gay?
    Given that his current son is a clone of him rather than an actual son, the chances may be better than you'd think...although I think they'd be bisexual rather than gay. Both Kraven and Last Son Of Kraven have been shown in sexual relationships with women.

I don't think any of Kraven's natural sons are still alive at this point. His daughter is still out there somewhere, last I checked...but I think both of his non-clone sons were killed.