View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
889. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.29%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.51%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.51%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.29%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

77 8.66%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.17%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.07%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.76%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

25 2.81%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.29%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.74%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.81%
Page 972 of 1130 FirstFirst ... 47287292296296896997097197297397497597698210221072 ... LastLast
Results 14,566 to 14,580 of 16943

After HoXPox, the easily say X-Men need more Destiny. Resurrect the old lady, Marvel.

Yeah I agree. Her and pyro are due for big comebacks

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Also, She-Hulk is not really known for particular LGBTQ representations (I know she had a gay assistant in her last solo series, but I'm not sure if they're taking any inspiration from that), but I would love if the show had some, just because Shulk is a low-key queer icon on social media for some reason. I've been seeing sooo many people suggesting trans actresses to play her lately, for example.
    Actually, She-Hulk has tended to have LGBT supporting characters in her last several series. As you mentioned there was her assistant Andrew in the Tamaki run. Before that there was her landlord Sharon King in the Soule run (Sharon also went on to be a supporting character in Hellcat's solo book). The Peter David run had Jazinda, Jen's lesbian Skrull partner who was secretly in love with her. Thundra was also a recurring character in that run when Jen was leading the Liberators and it was that run which outed Thundra as bisexual. In Dan Slott's run where was Crimson, a SHIELD sorcerer who was part of the SHIELD unit she was part of for a little while after the first Civil War. He wasn't explicitly stated to be gay, but it was implied in his comments on the visual appeal of Agent Beefcake. An argument can also be made for Ditto from that same run. He wasn't ever explicitly stated to be LGBT, but he repeatedly used his shape-shifting powers to turn into a female form. One could argue that was just a honeypot ploy for his role as a process server, but he also spent several weeks as "Dottie", the new secretary for the law office. Aside from stereotypes about secretaries being women, there was no particular reason Ditto needed to take female form for that role.

As for Shulkie's position as a queer icon (which I would expect is the case in-story in the Marvel Universe as well), historically the gay community has embraced powerful women who are smart, strong, sexy, etc, and She-Hulk embodies all of those qualities. She's flamboyant and fabulous and quick with a witty quip. Her SENSATIONAL series in the 90s is probably the earliest comic I can think of to have letters printed on the letters page by readers who openly identified themselves as gay.

So yeah, I completely agree that there should be some LGBTQ inclusion in She-Hulk's MCU series.

Incredible Member

I found the Bryne run to be very queer-friendly sheerly because it tried to have equal representation when it came to fan service.

Astonishing Member

The Week In Gay:

Black Panther #15 - I am not currently reading this book, but I was reference to Taku appearing. If anyone here is reading this book, is this the same Taku who was introduced and implied to be gay back in Don McGregor's BLACK PANTHER run?

Captain America #13 - Toni Ho cameo

Fantastic Four: Yancy Street #1 - there was a gay couple shown among the good people of Yancy Street that Ben Grimm was fighting to save from eviction. They were just background cameo characters, but it was still a nice little touch of inclusion.

Marvel Comics #1000 - plenty of LGBT characters made appearances, and several LGBT creators contributed.

Power Pack: Grow Up - this one-shot takes place years ago, before Julie came out as bisexual

Runaways #24

She-Hulk Annual #1 - Machinesmith has a vital role in the story.

I think that's everything, although for the wait-for-trade crowd AGE OF X-MAN: X-TREMISTS was released this week, which features multiple LGBT characters and was written by Leah Williams.

Did I miss anything?

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    As for the She-Hulk thing I can totally see where it could potentially be problematic, but I've really been struggling with how to phrase my thoughts on this so people will understand. Ultimately though it has to do with She-Hulk being a large, muscular woman and preconceptions about trans-women's bodies. I honestly think it's probably a bad idea to cast trans actress in that role.
    I don't think it's much of an issue. Hollywood revolves around looks. The way actors look plays a huge part in how they get certain roles, specially when we're talking about superhero roles. So if some trans women have the advantage of having the type of physique that could land them a certain superhero role, I say it's great for them, because that's usually a privilege they don't have for other roles. Quite the contrary; trans actors constantly talk about how being trans sometimes is what keeps them from getting roles. Plus, I've seen at least one trans actress offering herself for the role, so if she as a trans woman doesn't feel offended at the possibility of playing this character, I'm not gonna be offended for her. I also think the show could work around any bad conotations by not necessarily making Jen to be trans in the MCU. Not only that would not come off as they are typecasting the trans actress, but it could avoid any association between her ''Hulkness'' and her being trans in that universe. Ultimately, if they keep the portrayal of how Jen can be a Hulk and that doesn't make her any less of a woman, I don't think it really matters what is the gender identity of whoever plays her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Actually, She-Hulk has tended to have LGBT supporting characters in her last several series. As you mentioned there was her assistant Andrew in the Tamaki run. Before that there was her landlord Sharon King in the Soule run (Sharon also went on to be a supporting character in Hellcat's solo book). The Peter David run had Jazinda, Jen's lesbian Skrull partner who was secretly in love with her. Thundra was also a recurring character in that run when Jen was leading the Liberators and it was that run which outed Thundra as bisexual. In Dan Slott's run where was Crimson, a SHIELD sorcerer who was part of the SHIELD unit she was part of for a little while after the first Civil War. He wasn't explicitly stated to be gay, but it was implied in his comments on the visual appeal of Agent Beefcake. An argument can also be made for Ditto from that same run. He wasn't ever explicitly stated to be LGBT, but he repeatedly used his shape-shifting powers to turn into a female form. One could argue that was just a honeypot ploy for his role as a process server, but he also spent several weeks as "Dottie", the new secretary for the law office. Aside from stereotypes about secretaries being women, there was no particular reason Ditto needed to take female form for that role.

As for Shulkie's position as a queer icon (which I would expect is the case in-story in the Marvel Universe as well), historically the gay community has embraced powerful women who are smart, strong, sexy, etc, and She-Hulk embodies all of those qualities. She's flamboyant and fabulous and quick with a witty quip. Her SENSATIONAL series in the 90s is probably the earliest comic I can think of to have letters printed on the letters page by readers who openly identified themselves as gay.

So yeah, I completely agree that there should be some LGBTQ inclusion in She-Hulk's MCU series.
    I guess She-Hulk has a bigger record with LGBTQ rep than I remember.... But still, I have a hard time seeing most of those show up, with the exception of Thundra, I guess, since she is a little bit more high profile than the other characters. But let's hope for the best.

And yeah, I think you're spot on on the reason why Shulk is a popular character among the LGBTQ community. She really does fit the profile of the revered female persona in queer pop culture.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-01-2019 at 01:28 AM.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

The internet rumour mill is now claiming Troye Sivan is in talks with Marvel to play Wiccan. It's probably a made-up rumour but just a few days ago I was thinking to myself that Troye would probably be first on Marvel's list to audition for Wiccan. He is a young, gay, Jewish twink so he's kinda perfect for the role. I've never seen any of his work so I can't comment on his acting ability, but I'd probably just be relieved that they cast an openly gay actor for the role. That is assuming it turns out to be true anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    The internet rumour mill is now claiming Troye Sivan is in talks with Marvel to play Wiccan. It's probably a made-up rumour but just a few days ago I was thinking to myself that Troye would probably be first on Marvel's list to audition for Wiccan. He is a young, gay, Jewish twink so he's kinda perfect for the role. I've never seen any of his work so I can't comment on his acting ability, but I'd probably just be relieved that they cast an openly gay actor for the role. That is assuming it turns out to be true anyway.
    That sounds like peak fancasting, which almost never turns out to be true. But I've been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    That sounds like peak fancasting, which almost never turns out to be true. But I've been wrong before.
    It really does. I've seen Troye being fancast as Wiccan quite a number of times. The one thing that makes me question this is the fact that while Troye still seems to be interested in acting (he was in a movie last year), he has mostly stuck to his music career, and being a part of a huge franchise like Marvel requires A LOT of time that I'm not sure he would be willing to sacrifice as someone who is a musician most of the time. Maybe if it was a smaller role, but something like Wiccan would most likely be tied to a bigger franchise down the line, even if he's introduced in a smaller role now.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    It really does. I've seen Troye being fancast as Wiccan quite a number of times. The one thing that makes me question this is the fact that while Troye still seems to be interested in acting (he was in a movie last year), he has mostly stuck to his music career, and being a part of a huge franchise like Marvel requires A LOT of time that I'm not sure he would be willing to sacrifice as someone who is a musician most of the time. Maybe if it was a smaller role, but something like Wiccan would most likely be tied to a bigger franchise down the line, even if he's introduced in a smaller role now.
    Yeah, I agree that it's not very likely and sounds like fancasting.

The rumours going around now are Wiccan will be introduced in WandaVision and Hulkling will be introduced in Captain Marvel 2 but neither rumours are coming from any reputable sources.

All-New Member

Don't know if you guys have seen this, but Richard Madden was interviewed at the GQ Man of the Year awards in London last night and was asked about the mystery character. It's a very quick interview with no new actual news, but I thought it might be worth putting here anyway.

https://www.etonline.com/richard-mad...clusive-131745

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Don't know if you guys have seen this, but Richard Madden was interviewed at the GQ Man of the Year awards in London last night and was asked about the mystery character. It's a very quick interview with no new actual news, but I thought it might be worth putting here anyway.

https://www.etonline.com/richard-mad...clusive-131745
    Once again Pixie thank you very much for bringing this to my attention, I hadn't seen it yet.

Here's what Richard Madden said when asked about The Eternals including a gay character and being so diverse:
    "I think it's hugely important, just the cast is so diverse," Madden stated. "I'm a white male actor and not in the majority of this cast. I'm the minority, which is important in terms of diversity in filmmaking. I think Marvel are really at the forefront of that."

You're right that there is no actual news here. Madden's comment is vague, because of course it is, so we still don't know if he's playing the gay character or not.

In other news Madden also recently revealed that there is still casting to be done for The Eternals. Presumably it's for the villains of the movie, the Deviants, although some people are still speculating that Eros/Starfox and Zuras will be in the film because they were mentioned in early casting calls.

Honestly given how many characters are already in this movie the news that there's even more still to be cast reinforces the feeling that most of these characters are going to be minor roles anyway and the plot will probably revolve around Sersi. I'm starting to think that even if the gay character is Ikaris it'll still probably be a relatively small role.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 09-04-2019 at 10:48 PM.

If there are more announcements to be made, we should keep an eye for any asian male casting announcement for the movie, as that could be for the role of ''James'', who I'm assuming will be the love interest of the main gay character.

BTW, I found something relevant that I don't think has been posted here. Kyle Buchanan from the NYTimes posted this on Twitter last month:

https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan/sta...58682479054848

I think this is the first time someone connected to a more solid source has stated that Ikaris could possibly be the gay character. And get this: Kyle was also the one who interviewed Richard and asked him if he was dating Brandon Flynn back in May, which he didn't deny. Earlier that same month, he posted this cryptic tweet when Richard's potential casting was announced for the movie. Definitely feels like this guy is onto something there. LOL
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-05-2019 at 02:03 AM.

If there are more announcements to be made, we should keep an eye for any asian male casting announcement for the movie, as that could be for the role of ''James'', who I'm assuming will be the love interest of the main gay character.

BTW, I found something relevant that I don't think has been posted here. Kyle Buchanan from the NYTimes posted this on Twitter last month:

https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan/sta...58682479054848

I think this is the first time someone connected to a more solid source has stated that Ikaris could possibly be the gay character. And get this: Kyle was also the one who interviewed Richard and asked him if he was dating Brandon Flynn back in May, which he didn't deny. Earlier that same month, he posted this cryptic tweet when Richard's potential casting was announced for the movie. Definitely feels like this guy is onto something there. LOL
    Yeah, I do believe that "James" must be the gay character's husband.

I had seen that Kyle Buchanan tweet before and didn't think much of it because it seems to be pure speculation and he's just saying that Madden is "likely" the gay character. If he had concrete inside info he would know for sure. I hadn't seen the older tweet you linked but again it's just Kyle speculating. I'm still not convinced.