View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 803 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 303703753793799800801802803804805806807813853903 ... LastLast
Results 12,031 to 12,045 of 16972

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I suspect it probably doesn't matter who writes Deadpool, they're not going to actually let him be pansexual
    So for me Deadpool would never count as LGBT representation. Counting him while we never seen him being pansexual would be foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    So for me Deadpool would never count as LGBT representation. Counting him while we never seen him being pansexual would be foolish.
    It would be like J.K. Rowling getting credit for the representation she didn't write.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Ooooh I'd love to see Angela and Hercules become warrior buds.
    OMG yes please. That would be a really fun badass combo.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    It would be like J.K. Rowling getting credit for the representation she didn't write.
    I hate when people act like she's some kind of huge, important ally to the gay community.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I hate when people act like she's some kind of huge, important ally to the gay community.
    Didn't she just recently make some bullshit comment about how it's totally not important that the next prequel doesn't address his sexuality at all?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I personally don't think that representation is just about having a character in a relationship with a character of the same sex. Representation is that these characters exist AT ALL. If they have relationships that's even better because it means that there are more queer characters, and as a result, more representation - but to say that a character isn't representation just because it's subtle representation is disingenuous.

Deadpool counts, Dumbledore counts. Not all representation is perfect.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Didn't she just recently make some bullshit comment about how it's totally not important that the next prequel doesn't address his sexuality at all?
    Something like that yeah. She was asked months ago whether or not Dumbledore's sexuality would be addressed in the movie and while she was talking about the movie and she said; "as for that, watch this space". Then when the news came that they weren't going to address his sexuality at all people got angry with her and she tried to act like her critics were all mean trolls harassing her.

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Deadpool counts.
    Deadpool is phony representation. Many have said that he is pansexual, but in reality he is just another straight white male.

I personally don't think that representation is just about having a character in a relationship with a character of the same sex. Representation is that these characters exist AT ALL. If they have relationships that's even better because it means that there are more queer characters, and as a result, more representation - but to say that a character isn't representation just because it's subtle representation is disingenuous.

Deadpool counts, Dumbledore counts. Not all representation is perfect.
    I get what you're saying but for queer representation to count the character has to be acknowledged as queer. If Dumbledore being gay isn't acknowledged at all that's not "subtle representation" it's non-existent representation.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 02-21-2018 at 07:13 AM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Deadpool is phony representation. Many have said that he is pansexual, but in reality he is just another straight white male.
    Both Duggan and Nicieza have confirmed Deadpool as pansexual, and the film (if just the credits) referenced it. Deadpool counts.

I get what you're saying but for queer representation to count the character has to be acknowledged as queer. If Dumbledore being gay isn't acknowledged at all that's not "subtle representation" it's non-existent representation.
    That's actually very very valid. It's been forever since I've read HP.

Either way I'm sure that there will be lgbt characters as a part of this relaunch. America is being pushed pretty heavily in the Secret Warriors movie so I can see her getting a team, Iceman is one of the biggest X-Men, etc. I also expect that there will still be ancillary Avengers titles not called 'Avengers.' Defenders, Champions, maybe the Ultimates, etc.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

That's actually very very valid. It's been forever since I've read HP.

Either way I'm sure that there will be lgbt characters as a part of this relaunch. America is being pushed pretty heavily in the Secret Warriors movie so I can see her getting a team, Iceman is one of the biggest X-Men, etc. I also expect that there will still be ancillary Avengers titles not called 'Avengers.' Defenders, Champions, maybe the Ultimates, etc.
    Thank you.

And I think most people know that LGBT characters are still going to be around at Marvel it's just that all the gay series getting cancelled and that line-up of characters in the promotional image for the new re-launch doesn't inspire confidence for the amount of LGBT representation from Marvel in the foreseeable future.

There's a difference between the circumstances surrounding Dumbledore and Deadpool though.

Dumbledore's sexuality was only revealed after the books had already come out, the excuse being that "it didn't affect Harry's story". And now that there are prequels that will star a young Dumbledore and the one guy we know he was in love with, they chickened out and say it won't be addressed.

Deadpool consistently has thoughts and fantasies about men, he flirts with men and literally says "I am attracted to you". But there seems to be a double standard here because he also likes women, and has mostly had relationships with women.
    The same double standard seems to be there for polysexual women as well. I've seen Mystique receive a lot of criticism for sleeping with too many men and not enough women.
    Apparently you need to date an equal number of men and women or you'll just be considered straight. Because a 50/50 split is exactly how bisexuality and pansexuality works out for everyone. There's no variation. Deadpool and all bị men will only be valid and "count" as part of the community if they suck a certain number of dicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Deadpool and all bị men will only be valid and "count" as part of the community if they suck a certain number of dicks
    Deadpool is fictional. Therefor asking that he at least be seen trying to bed another man isn't asking too much.

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoBlade2 View Post
    Deadpool is fictional. Therefor asking that he at least be seen trying to bed another man isn't asking too much.
    But you're using the same arguments that real life bisexual people face from the LG community to exclude them.
    If a bisexual man gets in a long term relationship with a woman, does he stop being bisexual? What if he has several consecutive relationships with women, he never stops being attracted to men but he never acts on it.

Wanting more and better visible representation is great. Wanting Deadpool to date a guy is fine.

But saying a bisexual person doesn't count as queer unless they are actively dating someone of their gender is biphobic.

I'm not not counting him as LGBT, but I still feel like making Deadpool pansexual was more gimmicky than actual character development. I feel like any gay-related dialogue Deadpool has had is meant for crude humor that caters more to a general/heterosexual male audience. Until I see him have a seriously-written sexual and/or romantic interaction with another man, I'm not going to mark him high on my list as LGBT.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella