View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 1092 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 92592992104210821088108910901091109210931094109510961102 ... LastLast
Results 16,366 to 16,380 of 16973

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    The most horrible thing about it all is that Bendis wound up getting to write the coming out story, at the tail-end of his run. I'm biased against him as a writer, though, after his utter ruination of Wanda and a lack-luster run on the X-Men mythos that I attempted to give him a second-chance with.

Liu's arc had so much for Bendis to reference to and...nada. Some stuff Lobdell did would have been nice, too. It's like Bendis didn't want to give any partial credit to anyone else.
    I think it is weird that Bendis had Bobby come out as he was leaving the book. It seems like he would've wanted more time to develop that story himself.
    I'm glad Bobby is out, I'm exhausted by the non stop debating about it, and I wish it had been written better.

Astonishing Member

The Week In Gay:

Devil's Reign #6 - Viv Vision is part of the big battle, but doesn't have any dialogue.

Fantastic Four #42 - as The Reckoning War continues we get a bunch of guest stars including Hulkling, Wiccan, Star-Lord, as well as Kaylo and Kor of the Unparalleled.

Marauders #1 - first issue of Steve Orlando's run (not counting the Annual earlier this year); his new roster includes LGBT members Kate Pryde, Daken, Somnus, and Tempo.

Spider-Punk #1 - One of Hobie's friends, Captain Anarchy, is gay and has a scene kissing his boyfriend.

X-Force #27 - the Quiet Council and its various LGBT members appear in this issue

X-Men Red #1 - first issue of Al Ewing's new X-book. An Arakko mutant named Kobak (whom Ewing introduced in his SWORD run) makes an appearance here, bonding with Sunspot.

As always, if I missed anything please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Spider-Punk #1 - One of Hobie's friends, Captain Anarchy, is gay and has a scene kissing his boyfriend.
    So many spider-people running around but still no gay Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    So many spider-people running around but still no gay Spider-Man.
    It really doesn't seem like asking much to get a gay Peter Parker in the Spider-verse.

Astonishing Member

I got a bit of a vibe off Billy Braddock, aka Spider-UK, but he's dead now so I guess that's a moot point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    It really doesn't seem like asking much to get a gay Peter Parker in the Spider-verse.
    Meanwhile we’ve had two or three queer Mary Jane Watsons. Just pointing that out.

I think it is weird that Bendis had Bobby come out as he was leaving the book. It seems like he would've wanted more time to develop that story himself.
    I'm glad Bobby is out, I'm exhausted by the non stop debating about it, and I wish it had been written better.
    I feel like Bendis’ MO is often short runs introducing diverse characters then letting a writer of that community take over. It’s actually a nice way he uses his platform to create minority characters

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    It's fine to be happy with the way things played out because, yay, gay representation. I'm happy about it myself, with the exclusion of allowing Bendis to handle the story behind it (not a fan of his writing). But if Bendis hadn't made Iceman come out as gay, Liu's interview I quoted would read that she viewed him as a straight man (with the qualities that she loved about that, to boot) with no follow-up interview stating otherwise. For whatever reason it was (pressure from Marvel, not being able to write the story that she wanted to tell, etc.), we have to accept that she gave answers to questions that didn't represent her feelings. "Lie" may be harsh, and in this case, I can't say that I "blame" her (as sometimes in these interviews a writer may be put into a tough spot), but...knowing that a writer's "opinion/stance/viewpoint/whathaveyou" may change from one interview to the next, and not knowing the full context with which the answers are given (was the writer only "allowed" to say that, or is that how they feel?)

Which that last bit is really all my original point was anyway.

It would be enlightening to know if Liu had proposed the idea of making Bobby gay while she was writing Astonishing.

I didn't know only gay guys could have "daddy issues." And ew...stereotypical much?
    Lol really misinterpreting what I’m saying. You’re literally just being a dick to be a dick. It’s the confluence of a story about his failed relationships with women and a story about being accepted by his father.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Lol really misinterpreting what I’m saying. You’re literally just being a dick to be a dick. It’s the confluence of a story about his failed relationships with women and a story about being accepted by his father.
    There are better ways to say “I disagree” than calling someone a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I got a bit of a vibe off Billy Braddock, aka Spider-UK, but he's dead now so I guess that's a moot point.
    Yeah, he'd be a good candidate if they ever decide to bring him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Meanwhile we’ve had two or three queer Mary Jane Watsons. Just pointing that out.
    I know there's a queer MJ as Spider-Woman in Exiles, and of course the MJ in the Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider comics.
    Comics are always more accepting of queer women than men. It's no surprise that people are pretty calm about a couple of different queer versions of MJ but will lose their minds over a queer Peter.

Extraordinary Member

I know there's a queer MJ as Spider-Woman in Exiles, and of course the MJ in the Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider comics.
    Comics are always more accepting of queer women than men. It's no surprise that people are pretty calm about a couple of different queer versions of MJ but will lose their minds over a queer Peter.
    True. But there was the AU gay Wolverine with Hercules, that was in the ongoing X-Treme X-Men comic with Dazzler.
    And of course, Ultimate Colossus was gay as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    True. But there was the AU gay Wolverine with Hercules, that was in the ongoing X-Treme X-Men comic with Dazzler.
    And of course, Ultimate Colossus was gay as well.
    Yes. Both characters are nowhere to be seen now, but they did exist. Off the top of my head, Exile's MJ was a partner to Mariko Yashida, whose 616 counterpart was Wolverine's former fiancee. And there was an AU Reed Richards who was married to Jack "Human Torch" Storm-Richards. They were introduced and killed in the same issue, but it is another example of AU queer versions of straight characters. If we believe that Johnny Storm is straight, that is.
    Colossus and Northstar were the only queer men in the whole Ultimate Universe until the last story arc where they gave Colossus a new boyfriend. I don't even know what happened to Northstar.

Astonishing Member

The Week In Gay:

Eternals #11 - building up towards this summer's Eternals/Avengers/X-Men crossover event.

X-Men '92: House Of XCII #1 - miniseries bringing the age of Krakoa to the world of the 90s X-Men cartoon. There are a few characters in this one who are LGBT in the 616 comics.

X-Men #10 - Destiny is in this issue.

As ever, if I missed anything please let me know.

A pretty lacklustre week. There isn't much to get excited about these days. Hopefully June turns that around.