View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 989 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 48988993997998598698798898999099199299399910391089 ... LastLast
Results 14,821 to 14,835 of 16972

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    To be fair, Marvel never promised anything. Every piece of news we got from the Eternals casting came from secondary sources. Also, I think it's possible there was a misunderstanding as to what ''lead'' meant in this particular case. A lead role doesn't always translate to ''the main protagonist''. In an ensemble cast like Eternals, lead can usually refer to the core, top billing group of the story, so the leads of this particular film would be the 10 Eternals that were announced on SDCC and D-23. The gay character's husband, for instance, may not be a lead because it doesn't seem like he is among this group, and he's likely a smaller character compared to the gay character himself. In this context, Phastos may not be one of the main protagonists, but it's not inaccurate to say he is one of the leads.
    I just mean I'd like one where the gay character is the main protag and not just part of an ensemble. Because as much as they try to make it a 'group' story, it always ends up focusing on 1-2 people. Like Guardians of the Galaxy. They can claim its an ensemble, but its pretty much the 'Star-Lord and Gamora' series with other people playing support and I think its likely similar will happen with Eternals. I'm worried whatever gay character we might get will just be there for comic relief, just stand around while others do stuff, or just be 'the tech guy' with no major impact on the actual story.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    It's beyond ridiculous not to notice the fact that every single heroic character in the MCU movies is ridiculously muscular (even that Kumail guy) and then the first actual gay character they include is the only one who deviates from that norm.
    And I'd say it's beyond ridiculous to pretend that conventionally attractive white boys are somehow not the default representation of gay men in media, so I guess we're at an impasse.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    There's other duplicitous reasons that Brian might not be get the same hype as the other actors. Not fitting the publics idea of hot gay isnt the most pressing one
    Last edited by Holt; 12-17-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    And I'd say it's beyond ridiculous to pretend that conventionally attractive white boys are somehow not the default representation of gay men in media, so I guess we're at an impasse.
    Nicely done cutting off the part of my reply where a ripped black guy would've been just as good as 'conventionally attractive white boys'. It's not about race (for some of us anyway), but about the conventionally attractive part. Why shouldn't the gay character fit that particular mold? Why should they be othered. And like it or not. Mass appeal is still a thing to strive for. Just because you might have a thing for overweight guys, doesn't change the reality that most people regardless of gender, race, etc. prefer to see decently muscular people in their superhero movies.
    #EmmaWasRight

It's not about race
    Yeah, my experiences in the community have me very suspect of that, as has the pushback on here. Slim white dudes make up the majority of the MLM characters at Marvel and DC, so this ain't exactly bothering me that we're getting something different. And if you can't feel yourself represented by that, imagine how some fans of color feel about the decidedly milky state of the gay side of Marvel and DC (ironically the lesbian side has a decent amount of WOC).
    Last edited by Holt; 12-17-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Yeah, my experiences in the community have me very suspect of that, as has the pushback on here. Slim white dudes make up the majority of the MLM characters at Marvel and DC, so this ain't exactly bothering me that we're getting something different. And if you can't feel yourself represented by that, imagine how some fans of color feel about the decidedly milky state of the gay side of Marvel and DC (ironically the lesbian side has a decent amount of WOC).
    I mean ....

But
    Sooooo many boys were thirsting, and sleuthing for the gay characters identity. Fell off preeeeety hard now
    GrindrStone(D)

NGL, I was hoping it would be Don Lee, even though the odds were a million to one against. Dude's charismatic as hell. But Brian Tyree Henry is nothing to sneeze at.

Extraordinary Member

Deleted reply.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-18-2019 at 12:29 AM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    There's other duplicitous reasons that Brian might not be get the same hype as the other actors. Not fitting the publics idea of hot gay isnt the most pressing one
    I hear you, but I'm not trying to say him being black is not a part of the issue. If anything, I think it all adds up. Being a queer, black and overweight man in a blockbuster movie is enough intersectionality to make me wonder how exactly this character is going to be portrayed in the bigger picture. My perspective is: if Jude Law playing Dumbledore couldn't be a satisfying queer representation, what are the odds that Phastos is going to be, being a less known character, played by a less known actor who's also black and overweight? I wish I wasn't this cynical, but it's not like Marvel has given me reason to believe they're going to break the mold when our only queer representation in a Marvel movie ever was Joe Russo playing an unnamed character.

Anyway, I'm gonna try not to sound like a buzzkill. I AM actually excited for the movie and I'll happily support whoever turns out to be the gay character. It may not be the best representation, but at least it's something. Baby steps.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I just mean I'd like one where the gay character is the main protag and not just part of an ensemble. Because as much as they try to make it a 'group' story, it always ends up focusing on 1-2 people. Like Guardians of the Galaxy. They can claim its an ensemble, but its pretty much the 'Star-Lord and Gamora' series with other people playing support and I think its likely similar will happen with Eternals. I'm worried whatever gay character we might get will just be there for comic relief, just stand around while others do stuff, or just be 'the tech guy' with no major impact on the actual story.
    I get that and I agree that we deserve an LGBTQ protagonist. I'm just saying that in this particular movie, it wasn't really clear if the gay lead was ever going to be the protagonist. I think it was mostly the fans building their hopes up.

What decidedly milky state? Unless you're from the future, we haven't had any gay side over at Marvel. Black, white or otherwise. Unless you count the one lesbian in the TV show Marvel cancelled and would rather forget about now that they have their own streaming service.
    As it stands the first gay character in a Marvel movie is most likely going to be a black man and you still act like you're being hard done by.
    Or if you want to talk about the DC side of things. Who is the most prominent male gay character? I believe it's Curtis Holt on Arrow. Who is... another black man.
    But yeah, black gay males are at a real disadventage compared to the 'milky' white guys in superhero TV and movies. Being the only prominent ones that is.

BTW I'd personally prefer to see a gay asian character. I feel there are far fewer of those than either black or white in media.
    #EmmaWasRight

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Disappointed the gay character is a committed boring old dude. No drama there outside a fridging for someone, which seems unlikely in an MCU movie, so essentially just screen filler and unlikely to be a key part of the film.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

What decidedly milky state? Unless you're from the future, we haven't had any gay side over at Marvel. Black, white or otherwise. Unless you count the one lesbian in the TV show Marvel cancelled and would rather forget about now that they have their own streaming service.
    As it stands the first gay character in a Marvel movie is most likely going to be a black man and you still act like you're being hard done by.
    Or if you want to talk about the DC side of things. Who is the most prominent male gay character? I believe it's Curtis Holt on Arrow. Who is... another black man.
    But yeah, black gay males are at a real disadventage compared to the 'milky' white guys in superhero TV and movies. Being the only prominent ones that is.

BTW I'd personally prefer to see a gay asian character. I feel there are far fewer of those than either black or white in media.
    There's also the one gay Inhuman man from the TV side they wrote out quickly. Though he was decidedly not 'milky' as well.

What decidedly milky state?
    The state of the Marvel Universe lmao. You're obviously just arguing for the hell of it now, so I'm just putting you on Ignore. Bye.
    Last edited by Holt; 12-18-2019 at 06:02 PM.

The state of the Marvel Universe lmao.
    Gonna need to be a little more specific please.
    Since it looks like two different universes are being discussed here.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Gonna need to be a little more specific please.
    No, I really don't. If I'd said MCU, I'd've said MCU.

Anyway, the final issue of History of the Marvel Universe was out today, and there's a glimpse at the future. spoilers:
    One of them is Hulkling with a sword, with a caption describing "The interstellar reign of the Half-Breed." I'm guessing this was what was alluded to in those Incoming teasers before.
    end of spoilers