View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 231 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233234235241281331731 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,465 of 16973

QUESTION: what comics is everyone planning to get post-Secretlysh*t Wars? And is there any LGBT rep in it?

For me personally:
    Angela: Queen of Hel by Marguerite Bennett. Loved the first 6 issues, ready for more. (LGBT rep = Sera. Possibly Angela, it's not been confirmed).
    Ant-Man by Nick Spencer. LOVED Superior Foes of Spiderman, and with Beetle in it, a must buy. (LGBT rep = Machinesmith? Has he been confirmed in it?)
    Daredevil by Charles Soule. His She-Hulk was AMAZING, can't wait for a lawyer to write Daredevil, Matt's guest starring was soooo good. (LGBT rep = 0)
    Extraordinary X-men by Jeff Lemire. Storm's team, gotta support my goddess. (LGBT rep = possibly adult Iceman, Uncanny X-men #600 hasn't come out yet, possibly Storm)
    NEW AVENGERS by Al Ewing. Wiccan, Songbird, Nuff Said. (LGBT rep = Wiccan, Hulkling)

Will try Ultimates (LGBT rep = MAC).
    Will try A-force (LGBT rep = ????)
    Will try the Illuminati (LGBT rep = 0?)
    Will try Uncanny Avengers - purely for Doctor Voodoo, I have NO interest in the series otherwise (LGBT rep = 0)

Won't be getting Uncanny X-men with Land on art () or All New Wolverine without Daken, 100% won't be getting Herc (that comic can crash and burn; hopefully it does).

I like to keep my pull list to 6 these days, so let's see how it pans out. Very happy that most of the comics I'm interested in happen to be the few with LGBT rep; so that's a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Huh! That's... awesome. The most interesting I've ever found Kyle; I'd love it if Kyle was a little more of a bad-ass. Also any comic that begins with Beast confirmed dead is an instant win

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It is one thing to say "These characters are Marvel's intellectual property to do with as they see fit."

It is something entirely different to look at a company that seems to be trying to cut back the limited role LGBT characters play in their line and say "Support the books they will obviously not be releasing. That will change that they are not releasing them."
    Agreed, sadly.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-15-2015 at 03:51 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I'm definitely getting moon girl and devil dinosaur and the new blade. No confirmed LGBT characters there yet but there's at least been hints with blade.

I'm getting A force at least

One of mainstream comics most famous LGBT writers/artists comments on the Herc issue...

Phil Jimenez ‏@Philjimeneznyc Aug 9
    Seriously? How can this guy not be at least a little gay? #Imeanlookathim #Hercules #Marvel #demigodnightattheEagle

https://twitter.com/Philjimeneznyc/s...35779169386496

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I'm definitely getting moon girl and devil dinosaur and the new blade. No confirmed LGBT characters there yet but there's at least been hints with blade.

I'm getting A force at least
    Oh, forgot about Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur. I'll definitely try it, it seems so fun and different. You're not getting New Avengers?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-15-2015 at 05:26 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    And of course I'm just assuming the husband is Northstar in this one, too. ;P
    I don't know whether to kiss you or curse you for posting that. Now I have to spend money on a SW book!

But yeah, given that Northstar is shown as 'apprehended' in close-up on the wanted poster above, I think it's a safe bet that he and Kyle are married in this universe too.

So far as the LGBT books I'll be getting post-SW, that'll be:

DC Bombshells (DC)
    Hellblazer (DC)
    Heathen (Literati Press)
    Dash (Northwest Press)
    8House (Image)
    The Legend of Bold Riley (Northwest Press)
    Kaptara (Image)
    Chew (Image)

Alonso & Co's handling of the Herc issue was a pretty damning commentary on just what Marvel thinks of its LGBT and allied readers, so I'm not inclined to support them solely out of misplaced principle. Apart from that, they're playing their cards close enough to the vest that the premise of most of the books isn't setting my world on fire, so they're going to have to do better than what's on offer before I make room in my budget for their product. I'll likely buy Moon Girl when the trade comes out and I'll probably buy anything with Northstar in it (the last Alpha Flight series was so bad that I dropped it three issues in, so even that's not a definite sell). Other than that? Whatever. Wake me when they unveil the last four or five books.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 08-15-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Seriously? How can this guy not be at least a little gay? #Imeanlookathim #Hercules #Marvel #demigodnightattheEagle

Got to say, not a fan of someone saying he must be "a little gay" based on "#Imeanlookathim".

It's fairly minor, but come on.

Astonishing Member

Ant-Man by Nick Spencer. LOVED Superior Foes of Spiderman, and with Beetle in it, a must buy. (LGBT rep = Machinesmith? Has he been confirmed in it?)
    Yes, Machinesmith is confirmed to be in it as well as the new Giant-Man, who is also gay.

Going alphabetically:

A-Force (no apparent LGBT representation)
    All-New All-Different Avengers (no LGBT)
    Angela (Sera, possibly Angela)
    Captain Marvel (no LGBT)
    Extraordinary X-Men (possibly Iceman)
    Ms. Marvel (no LGBT)
    New Avengers (Wiccan and Hulkling)
    Silk (no LGBT)
    Spider-Man 2099 (no LGBT)
    Spider-Man/Deadpool (no LGBT)
    Ultimates (Miss America)
    Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (no LGBT)

So, a quarter of the titles I'll be picking up will have LGBT characters, assuming adult Iceman is gay.

Of course, I'm also picking up The Wicked + The Divine, Phonogram and Bitch Planet, which all have LGBT characters.

Mighty Member

One of mainstream comics most famous LGBT writers/artists comments on the Herc issue...

Oh, forgot about Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur. I'll definitely try it, it seems so fun and different. You're not getting New Avengers?
    Does anyone else think it's a little wrong to call someone a little gay just based on their look? Maybe it's just me, but I grew up being taught that's not "socially acceptable" behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Got to say, not a fan of someone saying he must be "a little gay" based on "#Imeanlookathim".

It's fairly minor, but come on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Does anyone else think it's a little wrong to call someone a little gay just based on their look? Maybe it's just me, but I grew up being taught that's not "socially acceptable" behavior.
    In Jimenez's defence, he's a gay man, himself. So he's allowed to make that sort of joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Going alphabetically:

A-Force (no apparent LGBT representation)
    All-New All-Different Avengers (no LGBT)
    Angela (Sera, possibly Angela)
    Captain Marvel (no LGBT)
    Extraordinary X-Men (possibly Iceman)
    Ms. Marvel (no LGBT)
    New Avengers (Wiccan and Hulkling)
    Silk (no LGBT)
    Spider-Man 2099 (no LGBT)
    Spider-Man/Deadpool (no LGBT)
    Ultimates (Miss America)
    Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (no LGBT)

So, a quarter of the titles I'll be picking up will have LGBT characters, assuming adult Iceman is gay.

Of course, I'm also picking up The Wicked + The Divine, Phonogram and Bitch Planet, which all have LGBT characters.
    You and I seem to share a lot of similar interests in series... so tell me, what is this "Bitch Planet"? Already it sounds FABULOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Yes, Machinesmith is confirmed to be in it as well as the new Giant-Man, who is also gay.
    SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Dermie!

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Alonso & Co's handling of the Herc issue was a pretty damning commentary on just what Marvel thinks of its LGBT and allied readers, so I'm not inclined to support them solely out of misplaced principle. Apart from that, they're playing their cards close enough to the vest that the premise of most of the books isn't setting my world on fire, so they're going to have to do better than what's on offer before I make room in my budget for their product. I'll likely buy Moon Girl when the trade comes out and I'll probably buy anything with Northstar in it (the last Alpha Flight series was so bad that I dropped it three issues in, so even that's not a definite sell). Other than that? Whatever. Wake me when they unveil the last four or five books.
    Very well said... I am starting (which I never thought I would) to branch away from Marvel because of recent disappointments (that I do think stem from those steering the ship)... BUT... I can't turn down the chance to read Wiccan AND Songbird as Avengers!!! I needs must read.

In Jimenez's defence, he's a gay man, himself. So he's allowed to make that sort of joke.
    Pretty much my thinking; it's clearly a jokey critique.

Very well said... I am starting (which I never thought I would) to branch away from Marvel because of recent disappointments (that I do think stem from those steering the ship)... BUT... I can't turn down the chance to read Wiccan AND Songbird as Avengers!!! I needs must read.
    I will say that the interesting thing about Alonso going "Herc is 100% hetero-straight because I say so" is that it's effectively stripped Marvel of any ability to skate by when it comes to the sexual identity of its characters. Reilly Brown is over on Tumblr right now trying to make it seem like Deadpool's crush on Cable counts as confirmation and not queerbaiting, but when the entire fandom's just been reminded that hints, jokes, and Word of God mean precisely shit until the corporate ownership signs off on the character's sexuality, it means that the company no longer gets the benefit of the doubt with regard to good intentions simply for implying that a character might be LGBT as opposed to explicitly confirming it.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 08-15-2015 at 05:55 PM.

BANNED

Wait a minute. So if I say I am an LGBT, then my comments/posts wouldn't be offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I will say that the interesting thing about Alonso going "Herc is 100% hetero-straight because I say so" is that it's effectively stripped Marvel of any ability to skate by when it comes to the sexual identity of its characters. Reilly Brown is over on Tumblr right now trying to make it seem like Deadpool's crush on Cable counts as confirmation and not queerbaiting, but when the entire fandom's just been reminded that hints, jokes, and Word of God mean precisely shit until the corporate ownership signs off on the character's sexuality, it means that the company no longer gets the benefit of the doubt with regard to good intentions simply for implying that a character might be LGBT as opposed to explicitly confirming it.
    Deadpool's an interesting one for me. I do consider him confirmed enough that we can "count" him as LGBT, yet oddly... I don't count him as an LGBT solo star. Very contradictory. Fabian (who is the BEST Deadpool writer) was the one to really got for the implications. He's very LGBT supportive, he fort to out Gambit as bi (and when they said no, he just put in lots of innuendos). Fabian is the writer with the first "sort of" LGBT kiss of Marvel comics (between Gambit and a man in a woman's body).

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Wait a minute. So if I say I am an LGBT, then my comments/posts wouldn't be offensive?
    I can guess what Tiamatty is thinking...

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-15-2015 at 06:42 PM.

N.B. Gambit is included for having the first LGBT kiss in comics:

Gambit/Courier (with the latter in female form), Gambit #24, Jan 2001
    From the first page; for Anduinel.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-15-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    My favorite bisexual character is Psylocke <3<3
    It doesn't look like she's bi as anything with Cluster has seemingly been moved on from and forgotten about with Betsy showing no interest in any women since.