View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 1001 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 501901951991997998999100010011002100310041005101110511101 ... LastLast
Results 15,001 to 15,015 of 16971

While I like the idea of Dani Cage and Lucy Rand getting together, I did not like how white Lucy was

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    While I like the idea of Dani Cage and Lucy Rand getting together, I did not like how white Lucy was
    She did end up quite white-looking, didn't she? It does happen sometimes though.

I'd imagine they made her paler for more contrast between her and Dani.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    She did end up quite white-looking, didn't she? It does happen sometimes though.

I'd imagine they made her paler for more contrast between her and Dani.
    Yeah no that's an awful reason, especially after specifying that her mother was Misty Knight

I mean for god's sake it's Black History Month

Astonishing Member

Yeah no that's an awful reason, especially after specifying that her mother was Misty Knight

I didn't say I agreed with the reason - I just suspect that would have been the thought there. Re-creating the same sort of visual that there was with their fathers as Power Man & Iron Fist.

But even with Misty as the mother, its still possible for her to end up with whiter-coloured skin. Genes do weird things sometimes in which traits from which parent end up dominant.

Astonishing Member

On that note -- seems like a good time to take stock of Marvel's various black LGBT characters. Who do we have? Who are people's favourites? How many of them are still actively appearing anywhere in 2020?

Of the top of my head, I can think of....
    Alloy
    Fuse
    Prodigy
    Nancy Whitehead (at least implied to be bisexual)
    Kyle Jinadu
    Attractive Lad (depowered and retired from superheroics since the 90s)
    The Midnight Angels
    Taku (the Wakanda's Chief Of Communications and one of T'Challa's close friends)
    Dani Cage and Lucy Rand - at least in one possible future. I don't think every grown up version of Dani we've met has been established as LGBT.

I'm sure there's more...but those are just who I could think of off the top of my head. Who else have we got?

Prodigy and Kyle, both of whom I'm fond of, are confirmed for X-Factor in April. Woot!

I think Bling! is supposed to be black, but not 100% on that. And Nightmask was implied to be bi or pan at the end of the last Starband and Nightmask series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I didn't say I agreed with the reason - I just suspect that would have been the thought there. Re-creating the same sort of visual that there was with their fathers as Power Man & Iron Fist.

But even with Misty as the mother, its still possible for her to end up with whiter-coloured skin. Genes do weird things sometimes in which traits from which parent end up dominant.
    Yes it can happen, but comics have used that "genetics are weird" excuse one too many times and it's almost always in defense of whitewashing. I'm tired of turning a blind eye to it

Whitewashing just for the sake of the optics is despicable

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Prodigy and Kyle, both of whom I'm fond of, are confirmed for X-Factor in April. Woot!
    Yep! I am very much looking forward to that book!

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I think Bling! is supposed to be black, but not 100% on that. And Nightmask was implied to be bi or pan at the end of the last Starband and Nightmask series.
    Yep, I believe you're right about Bling!. And yeah, Nightmask is another one! Too bad he isn't getting out of limbo to appear in the current Starbrand storyline in AVENGERS.

On the other hand, given what happened to Kevin, maybe its just as well for Adam that he's not turning up....

There's also Sharon King - a de-powered ex-mutant who owns a building that she rents out rooms as office space and apartments for members of the superhuman community. She was a supporting character in Soule's SHE-HULK series as well as the PATSY WALKER AKA HELLCAT series. I think she might have turned up in the last SPIDER-WOMAN run too -- I think Jessica's apartment was in her building.

Also Darkveil from the ICEMAN series! Sadly I don't think there are current plans for either of them. I'm not sure, but I got the impression that Madin was originally black before their mutant powers manifested and their skin turned purple.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Kelly Thompson apologized for that on Twitter and said it was a coloring mistake. Apparently, she tried to get it fixed once she noticed it, but there was no time because of the deadline.

So, do you all remember that whole thing about trans actress Angelica Ross possibly being up for a Marvel role? Charles Murphy is reporting that it was for Loki:

https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/wh...s-week-loki-2/

Now here's the interesting thing: Murphy says it was apparently for a role that could be played by either a man or a woman. Do we think Marvel would consider a trans man to play a trans female character? 'Cause that could... lead to some mixed reactions, to say the least. That makes me wonder if the role was really for Sera or some other character. I think it's possible they were casting for someone who's on the non-binary spectrum of things, which is why the gender of the actor was irrelevant.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 02-02-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Kelly Thompson apologized for that on Twitter and said it was a coloring mistake. Apparently, she tried to get it fixed once she noticed it, but there was no time because of the deadline.
    Unfortunate, but at least that explains that. Thanks for sharing.

So, do you all remember that whole thing about trans actress Angelica Ross possibly being up for a Marvel role? Charles Murphy is reporting that it was for Loki:

https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/wh...s-week-loki-2/

Now here's the interesting thing: Murphy says it was apparently for a role that could be played by either a man or a woman. Do we think Marvel would consider a trans man to play a trans female character? 'Cause that could... lead to some mixed reactions, to say the least. That makes me wonder if the role was really for Sera or some other character. I think it's possible they were casting for someone who's on the non-binary spectrum of things, which is why the gender of the actor was irrelevant.
    If Angelica was playing Sera, that would be a trans female playing a trans female? Both identify as female after being biologically born male. There’s no need for mixed reactions with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    If Angelica was playing Sera, that would be a trans female playing a trans female? Both identify as female after being biologically born male. There’s no need for mixed reactions with that.
    That's not my point. What I'm saying is that the report said the role Angelica was running for was described as a character that could be played by BOTH male and female actors. That means that they were considering male actors for the part as well, and a male actor might've gotten it. So, based on that, I'm asking: if the role was blindcast based on gender, then what are the odds that it was supposed to be Sera, after all? Wouldn't it be more likely that they would ONLY cast for females if it was her?

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

That's not my point. What I'm saying is that the report said the role Angelica was running for was described as a character that could be played by BOTH male and female actors. That means that they were considering male actors for the part as well, and a male actor might've gotten it. So, based on that, I'm asking: if the role was blindcast based on gender, then what are the odds that it was supposed to be Sera, after all? Wouldn't it be more likely that they would ONLY cast for females if it was her?
    They could have also been looking at biologically born females, who identify as male, but are willing to act as a female for the role
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    They could have also been looking at biologically born females, who identify as male, but are willing to act as a female for the role
    I'm aware, which is why I asked if we think Marvel would consider a trans man to play a trans female character. It's a controversial choice, 'cause not only it could be seen as an opportunity being taken away from a female actress, but also it could also send the wrong message when you hire a trans man and give him a role that is essentially female; like perhaps you're not taking his identity seriously. If Sera was a character who socially presented herself as ''male'' in the comics, maybe I could understand it, but the character spent the vast majority of her time in the comics with a female-presenting form... so why exactly would they consider a man, cis or trans, for the role? Just to make them dress as female? It's a weird choice... which is why I'm wondering if the character might end up being a GNC type of character (like Cloud or Xavin) instead of a trans character. If the character presents themself as both male and female, it makes more sense to blindcast based on gender.