View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 1006 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 6506906956996100210031004100510061007100810091010101610561106 ... LastLast
Results 15,076 to 15,090 of 16971
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Ah, I misunderstood what you meant there. Sorry.

I think the major issue with the whole 'segregation' thing would be we can guess exactly what a company like Marvel would do. They cram a small number of LGBT characters in and use the book as an excuse why others couldn't appear elsewhere. And they'd probably do their best to bury the book and give it as little attention and impact as possible while looking for the first excuse to cancel it. Can't speak for others but I'd like some good LGBT rep in the 'main' or 'flagship' books more than an all LGBT team.
    I would rather have the all LGBTQ book out there than try to rely on a main or flagship book to try it.

Because some of those books have too many cooks in the kitchen and editorial gets in the way.

Want some examples?

Look at Cyborg in Justice League. How did that work out for him? It did not help his profile despite what some claim. Just being there in the background or getting hacked into or beaten up by Black Panther's cousin is not enough.

Duke Thomas-look at how he was done in Batman's main book. Reduce to one panel cameos before vanishing in 2018. Yet in All Star Batman, his own mini & Outsiders have done a better job with him.

Storm in X-Men versus Storm in Black Panther.

Yeah an all LGBTGQ book might last 12 issues but I rather have those 12 issues (later 2 trades) on shelves for someone to read. Yeah The Crew and A Force bombed but I still see kids reading those trades and at one point The Crew was beating a TON of Marvel & DC books in trade sales on Amazon (BEFORE Black Panther movie came out).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I don't recall Stonewall being queer but it's been a long time since I read Secret Warriors
    Stonewall being gay wasn't really dealt with on-panel; Hickman confirmed it online and/or in an interview. There may have been a subtle hint or two at it, but other than that it wasn't something he got around to addressing in-story.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Stonewall being gay wasn't really dealt with on-panel; Hickman confirmed it online and/or in an interview. There may have been a subtle hint or two at it, but other than that it wasn't something he got around to addressing in-story.
    Yeah, Luciano tweeted that he remembered how Hickman hinted at that once, and he wanted to take the opportunity to officially out him on panel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Yeah, Luciano tweeted that he remembered how Hickman hinted at that once, and he wanted to take the opportunity to officially out him on panel.
    I'm glad he did. "Word of god" outings are appreciated for what they are...but in-story content always ends up carrying more weight.

Astonishing Member

Nocturne (Angela Cairn)... so that's who that character was. It was the only one I couldn't figure out. So what's her queer-related story? Looked up her page on Marvel Fandom but didn't find anything specifically about that. Quite an obscure character to dug up!
    Her being a lesbian was never explicitly stated, but it was implied. There are references to her deceased "partner and dearest friend" Jackie, whose death has totally devastated her - and photos shown in her home of the two women together. There's also an incident where she saves a boy from a gay bashing, and identifies with him saying he is "so much like herself", and other references to her being an outsider in her own community, etc.

Nocturne has made so few appearances that her implied sexuality sort of got buried and forgotten with everything else going on. Its impressive that he remembered her and brought her back after all this time -- and finally officially outed her.

I love how Luciano just said **** current canon and wrote/draw Serangela together. As they should be!
    It was nice to see them together, I agree. it doesn't necessarily reject current continuity though - even if the two aren't an item at the moment, the joyous and celebratory nature of the encounter could have them acting that way in the spirit of the day, etc.

Astonishing Member

The Week In Gay:

Atlantis Attacks #2 of 5 - The latest Agents Of Atlas miniseries includes LGBT characters like Giant-Man and Protector in the cast.

Deadpool #3

Fantastic Four #19 - this issue concludes the "Point Of Origin" arc which guest stars The Unparalleled, whose members include a lesbian couple.

Guardians Of The Galaxy #2 - Moondragon and Phyla get a nice little moment. The way Noh-Varr looks at Hercules in one-panel, I think he may be developing an interest in our Greek demigod. I would love it if that turns out to be reciprocated and Ewing gives us Herc's first official on-panel same sex lover. We'll have to wait and see though.

Marauders #8 - Iceman shows off how powerful and how dangerous he can be. The cast continues to expand its LGBT content with Andreas Strucker since Shinobi Shaw has recruited Fenris. How long until we find out that bisexual Shinobi is sleeping with both of the Strucker twins?

Marvel's Voices - over a dozen of Marvel's LGBT heroes, from the big names to the obscure, appeared here -- and a couple of long "implied but not explicitly stated" gay characters finally got officially outed.

New Mutants #7

Runaways #30

Valkyrie: Jane Foster #8 - Lisa Halloran continues to be part of the supporting cast

I think that's everything. Did I miss anything?

Who was outed in Marvel Voices? I thought everyone there was already out.

today i learned stonewall was gay but uh wasn't he also dead
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    today i learned stonewall was gay but uh wasn't he also dead
    That's Yoyo. Thought she dated Stonewall, though

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    Who was outed in Marvel Voices? I thought everyone there was already out.
    Stonewall and Nocturne. Stonewall had been revealed by Jonathan Hickman to be gay, but it had never actually been addressed on-panel, so it was only semi-"official". Nocturne was implied on-panel to be gay, but never explicitly confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That's Yoyo. Thought she dated Stonewall, though
    No, she and Stonewall were good friends but didn't actually date. Its an easy mistake to make though, given how close they were on-panel -- which is another reason why a lot of readers were surprised when Hickman said that Stonewall is gay.

Honestly, I had thought the gay character(s) in SECRET WARRIORS would have turned out to be Carlos Ayala and Mikel Fury. They were best friends, but I had a vibe it might be more than that. Alas, if they were we're unlikely to ever know since both are now dead.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Honestly, I had thought the gay character(s) in SECRET WARRIORS would have turned out to be Carlos Ayala and Mikel Fury. They were best friends, but I had a vibe it might be more than that. Alas, if they were we're unlikely to ever know since both are now dead.
    They did have a playful, almost flirty, vibe, but it could have just been a 'good friends' vibe, too. Gosh, I like that whole team, Carlos, Mikel, 'Red Webo', the Mace of Aesha chick, the power nullifier, etc. way, way better than the group led by Pierce with 'parasitic brain' guy... I kind of wonder if there's some way they could be brought back.

Stonewall's name implied gay, but he seemed as into YoYo, in the book, so I wouldn't have considered him gay. Again, the tyranny of het-expectations, I suppose, in that a dude and a chick hanging out together 'obviously must be a potential couple,' since it is so rare to see interactions between men and women as *just friends* with no intended 'chemistry' in media.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Stonewall's name implied gay, but he seemed as into YoYo, in the book, so I wouldn't have considered him gay. Again, the tyranny of het-expectations, I suppose, in that a dude and a chick hanging out together 'obviously must be a potential couple,' since it is so rare to see interactions between men and women as *just friends* with no intended 'chemistry' in media.
    Exactly. Stonewall and Yo-Yo were together so much, it was just assumed that there was something going on there since Hickman didn't really give us anything on-panel to suggest otherwise. Given the sprawling size of the cast, its understandable that some of the character stuff got left out...but I think he could have done something to imply it on-panel.

The funny thing is that the codename thing was just a coincidence. When someone pointed out to Hickman the gay significance of "Stonewall", he remarked that he was totally unaware of the real life Stonewall and that it was unintentional.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I'm so pissed at Disney+ right now and their decision to move the Love, Simon spin-off series to Hulu because it's not ''family friendly''. Literally everything they described as inappropriate on the show can be seen at The Simspons, which is streaming, uncensored, on Disney+ RIGHT NOW. The double standard is so fucking transparent. It looks even worse when they had another queer-themed show which got cancelled before it even aired.

Not exactly Marvel related, but I wanted to share this frustration here because I know so many people had high hopes for the Marvel shows there and its potential LGBTQ representation. What Disney did is such a slap in our face, like telling us they're ok with productions with gay people, but they draw the line when it gets too gay.

Yeah I heard about that. What a disgrace. Even here in Australia if a tv show has any gay references at all, even if the characters don’t even hold hands, it still gets a “sexual references” rating

Extraordinary Member

For the Love Simon thing, it had brtter be super dirty or something to actually justify this.