View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 101 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 51919798991001011021031041051111512016011101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 16971

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    Marcus and Finch WERE cool, just that they purely exist as two locals helping our hero. Their gayness was briefly touched on in their first appearance (the implications they'd been together for years waiting to get married, and their location in California), but after that, it wasn't a factor at ALL.
    I really, REALLY hope they appear as supporting cast in the new Hawkeyes series. Every great hero has an awesome supporting cast, and they were so cool and funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    I think the media needs two types of LGBT+ characters: those whose identities are explored and/or have really been shaped by their status as non-heterosexual and/or non-cisgender, and those whose overall identities are completely unaffected by their sexuality and/or gender identity. The former improves understanding, the latter works on normalization of open LGBT+ people in society. Both are crucial and important, and I think Marvel's got a good start in both areas. Right now they're a bit scant in the former category, but 2013 was a good year in that area, and hopefully the future will be, too.
    Agreed. We need both. It's not okay to have LGBT characters and never reference their sexuality ("one of the Avengers is LGBT" *WINK*) BUT we also don't want all LGBT characters to be defined by their sexuality. It is part of who they are, but it's not the sole (or even major) essence of their personality.

Quote Originally Posted by spark627 View Post
    I am really glad that you feel inclusion but I have to disagree. More than half of the LGBT characters aren't even featured in a book at the moment and there aren't that many to start with. Marvel is overdue for a solo book starring a LGBT character. The Avengers are LONG overdue for a LGBT characters (and sorry, Marvel, saying there is one but there hasn't been time to address it is bs)
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!!

CURRENT LGBT CHARACTERS ACTIVE IN COMICS
    - All New X-Factor. Danger (debatable). Gambit (very debatable) [CANCELLED]
    - Amazing X-men. Northstar. Anole
    - Hawkeye. Finch&Marcus [ENDING]
    - Loki: Agent of Asgard. Loki. [MARVEL'S 5TH EVER LGBT ON-GOING SOLO SERIES]
    - Uncanny X-men. Benjamin Deeds
    - X-force. Fantomex. Psylocke (debatable) [CANCELLED]
    - X-men. Psylocke (debatable).

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I get the promiscuous stereotype. But that doesn't mean that you can't show that. And there is a whole grey area not explore. You could have them flirt with random people and not sleep with them. Those details are what makes characters different and interesting.
    I do agree. And while the stereotype (if it is the ONLY thing or even main thing shown) can be annoying... the stereotype exists for a reason. A good number LGBT people are promiscuous... it's only fair to show it. Which is why I love Daken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I do agree, though, that there's a tendency to desexualize LGBT characters, likely out of a desire to avoid making audiences uncomfortable.
    THIS!!! Wiccan & Hulkling have kissed three times in ten years; and yet we see posters say "all they do is kiss". To some ANY hand holding or kissing is "shoving it down our throats." Hopefully Marvel ignores those bigots... but who knows?

Imagine a gay character like Iron Man, Daredevil, Wolverine, Hawkeye; that has a history of sleeping around, or constant dating, etc. We don't get that. Many times I don't even feel the chemistry between the couples either, I'm just told they are a couple and go with it.
    I'd love it... but they would be HATED by some. Daken is HATED. And he's not A-list. Moonstone has been confirmed to sleep with four people in her entire history at Marvel, and posters label her a "slut". The prejudice against any non-str8 white male sleeping around is (sadly) still very much there.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Northstar vote but really my favorite is Phyla-Vell who wasn't an option.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Can anyone tell me if Young Avengers is still ongoing? I read somewhere that after the whole thing with "Mother" there was going to be a storyline focusing on Hulkling Marvel-Boy and Prodigy. Is that still going on or did it end or what?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    If there was an new openly LGBT Avenger I don't know who I would like it to be. Didn't Captain America make Wiccan, Hulkling and a couple of the other original members of the Young Avengers official Avengers? I thought I saw that before, but maybe they don't consider themselves Avengers because they decided to stick with they're own team? And as for Victor Alvarez I assumed he and Ava Ayala were or were going to become a couple. But if Victor does turn out to be gay or bi then I suggest he hook-up with Prodigy.
    Apologies, I haven't got round to welcoming you to the thread. WELCOMES!!! Here is a link to the LGBT Community thread (where we talk about all LGBT issues, not just ones related to Marvel comics)
    http://community.comicbookresources....mmunity/page32

As for "LGBT" Avengers; it goes like this:
    - Herc, Moodragon and Living Lightning (and Noh-var; sort of) have not been on an Avengers roster since they were outed (in non-Avengers roster comics)
    - Daken was a Dark Avenger; which the Avengers don't count
    - Victoria Hand was an aide
    - Wiccan & Hulkling are "honorary" Avengers who have yet to actually serve on any Avengers roster (since the Avengers make a point of NOT counting Young Avengers as an official roster).

Why does that become all they are known for? That's not all Iron Man, Daredevil, etc are known for.
    Excellent point!

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    On top of that, I just can't imagine any of our current LGBT characters being huge Grindr users or whatever. Maybe Striker for the ego boost of having lots of msgs.
    Striker is the only one I can think of; and I'd be very okay with him rocking grindr occasionally.

Can anyone tell me if Young Avengers is still ongoing? I read somewhere that after the whole thing with "Mother" there was going to be a storyline focusing on Hulkling Marvel-Boy and Prodigy. Is that still going on or did it end or what?
    Young Avenger is not currently an on-going. "Season 4" ended with issue #15 by Kieron Gillen. Hulkling, Noh-var and Prodigy recently had a set of mini-stories in Original Sins (a tie-in book to the event). The story sounded super fun (though the fugly art didn't seem to please anyone).

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Northstar vote but really my favorite is Phyla-Vell who wasn't an option.
    Apologies. The reason she wasn't included was due to her low score in the last "Favourite LGBT character" on old-CBR. She got only 1 vote (1.27%). So I chose to include someone else (who didn't get included in the last poll).

Saved from old-CBR, the results of the last "favourite LGBT character" poll
    • Anole -- 4 votes (5.06%)
    • Daken -- 10 votes (12.66% )
    • Destiny -- 1 vote (1.27%)
    • Hulkling -- 2 votes (2.53%)
    • Karma -- 3 votes (3.80%)
    • Karolina Dean -- 5 votes (6.33%)
    • Moondragon -- 2 votes (2.53%)
    • Mystique -- 14 votes (17.72%)
    • Northstar -- 11 votes (13.92%)
    • Phyla-Vell -- 1 vote (1.27%)
    • Rictor -- 5 votes (6.33%)
    • Shatterstar -- 6 votes (7.59%)
    • Victoria Hand -- 1 vote (1.27%)
    • Wiccan -- 10 votes (12.66%)
    • OTHER... 4 votes (5.06%)
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 11-14-2014 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks Kieran Frost, I didn't realize there was a non-comic book LGBT forum on this site. Also does anyone else think that Striker is a mutant? I assume he's a mutant but they've never actually said he's a mutant because that means FOX would have the TV/Film rights to the character instead of Disney Marvel, and it's kind of ironic since I don't see them actually using him in any TV shows or movies. Also what is it with Marvel and guys with electricity powers being gay? Wiccan, Striker, Living Lightning all gay and even Electro might be bi because he wanted to do it with a shapeshifting prostitute in Spider-Man's form.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    I would love a Wiccan and Hulkling mini called "Excellent Adventure".
    Why Marvel hasn't made this pun already, I don't know.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Thanks Kieran Frost, I didn't realize there was a non-comic book LGBT forum on this site. Also does anyone else think that Striker is a mutant? I assume he's a mutant but they've never actually said he's a mutant because that means FOX would have the TV/Film rights to the character instead of Disney Marvel, and it's kind of ironic since I don't see them actually using him in any TV shows or movies. Also what is it with Marvel and guys with electricity powers being gay? Wiccan, Striker, Living Lightning all gay and even Electro might be bi because he wanted to do it with a shapeshifting prostitute in Spider-Man's form.
    It's clearly because the characters coming out shocks the readership. And as much as I don't agree that Storm is, let's add her to the list of lightning queers.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    It's clearly because the characters coming out shocks the readership. And as much as I don't agree that Storm is, let's add her to the list of lightning queers.
    Nice one, lol. And then there's Surge, isn't she Prodigy's ex-girlfriend? Maybe she's bi too since electricity based powers apparently = LGBT character.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    Marvel should make some lgbt solo comic series like they're doing with their female solo books.
    Agreed. We have Loki: Agent of Asgard right now. Maybe a few LGBT solo mini-series would be a good start. One for Wiccan, one for Northstar, one for MAC, one for Anole. See which sells best, and give that a shot at an on-going.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I'd be 100% on board for a Northstar solo series. One part focus on his being a teacher at the JGS and what life skills he’s actually teaching the kids (A lot of “Yes, so the best thing the brothers Summers and Headmaster Logan could do for the mutant cause at this point would be to drop dead…” I'd imagine), and the other part lots of JP being entirely shameless and more than a little immoral, making no bones about his wealth, powers, and celebrity being tools for self-advancement and that of his personal agendas. Kyle (hella useful PR manager), Anole and Karma (financial clout) for main supporting cast. Because, seriously…with Xavier dead, Frost living in a cave in Canada, and Worthington having his personality overwritten, three of the most financially powerful and influential people on the X-Men roster are the queer characters who are lucky to get used as wallpaper most of the time. Give them the opportunity to flex some of that muscle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Additionally, I'd love for his solo book to NOT revolve around his sister Aurora or exclusively tied to Alpha Flight.
    I'm not saying that they should be absent, but just not the primary driving force of his stories. Thas' all.
    I love the idea of a Northstar solo series. Based out of the JGS (so X-men supporting cast); with Alpha Flight as regular guest stars. Or make him an Agent of S.W.O.R.D. as well; so that's three areas to draw fans from to keep his numbers up. Kyle, Anole, Dazzler and Auroro can be his supporting cast (though I do agree neither Auroro nor Kyle should be the focus of his stories; just have him be super heroic against epic foes).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'm less certain of a Northstar solo. I like Northstar, I really do. But is he solo material? I don't know.
    I think, as the first ever LGBT mainstream comic character; it's only right he be the first gay solo on-going be his.

As a gay Canadian I've always been proud that the first gay superhero is also Canadian.

From the upcoming Loki: Agent of Asgard Axis tie-in preview

As a gay Canadian I've always been proud that the first gay superhero is also Canadian.
    Canada rocks!!! Are you reading Amazing X-men?

Thanks. No, unfortunately I'm not reading any comics regularly right now but I like to go online and find out what my favourite Marvel characters are doing lately.

Loki also shows up in Magneto #12 next week

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    I think Miss America WILL have a solo any time soon. She has a very passionate fanbase, she's latina -so there you have a triple threat; queer woc- and her power for traveling various realities would make for some crazy stories that any writer would want. According to Gillen her name comes a lot in the Marvel retreats, I think that by next year she will have a solo.
    I'd LOVE a Miss America solo series. She'd be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Now that Anole and the majority of his generation's student body has "graduated" -- with the exception of Rockslide and Hellion(?) -- I'd love to see he and the other X-youth join forces with other young heroes of the MU just as they did during the finale of Young Avengers.
    Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    Welcome MasterOfMagnetism!
    I wouldn't personally want to see Anole lead a book - he doesn't seem important enough for that - but then if they went ahead and did Generation Anole it's not as if I would complain. But I swear, it would be cancelled after like five issues.
    Anole leading a new New Mutants comic called Generation Anole would be AWESOME!!!

Hi, I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I'm a gay Marvel fan and I've been a huge X-Men fan my whole life. I've heard that Marvel's team books are usually the most successful, and almost all of Marvel's LGBT characters are or have been a member of a team, whether it's X-Men or Young Avengers or Runaways. And as much as I would enjoy seeing an LGBT character lead their own prominent series I think I personally would really like to see Anole leading his own team of X-Men. I feel like Anole and his generation of mutants have been held back for a while; didn't Pixie become a full-fledged X-Man but then Wolverine made her a student again when she sided with him during the Schism? Anyways I'd love to see Anole as the leader of an X-Men team including Pixie, Rockslide, Indra, etc. and also with the other gay and lesbian students Bling and Graymalkin on the team.
    I do see a certain correlation between LGBT readers and a love for the X-verse. Now it could be the minority metaphor is what resonates with them, or it could be the consistent positive/supportive atmosphere for LGBT characters.

Thanks. No, unfortunately I'm not reading any comics regularly right now but I like to go online and find out what my favourite Marvel characters are doing lately.
    Northstar is getting love in Amazing X-men. It's my favourite writing of him; he's loving, noble yet arrogant, opinionated yet loyal. It's brilliant! Anole is getting focus in the Annual too. So it's a very pro-LGBT comic.

Amazing X-Men sounds cool, but I personally sympathize ideologically with Cyclops' X-Men. If the two sides unify after the events of Axis I wonder if Morph will become friends with Anole?

This is an odd question: is Raze LGBT? Obviously sexuality doesn't necessarily pass in the genes, but Daken is LGBT, Mystique is LGBT and Claremont always felt Logan was bi. And this pose by Raze... not to stereotype, but he is VERY flirtatious (like Daken). What does everyone think?

Amazing X-Men sounds cool, but I personally sympathize ideologically with Cyclops' X-Men. If the two sides unify after the events of Axis I wonder if Morph will become friends with Anole?
    Amazing X-men is less "gold team vs. blue team" in mentality; and more just X-men being heroic and saving the day. It's not linked to the Schism; just old fashioned super heroics.