View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 1012 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 125129129621002100810091010101110121013101410151016102210621112 ... LastLast
Results 15,166 to 15,180 of 16973
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    No shade but I'd be lying if I didn't say I thought the one in pink would be the gay one.
    I mean, he still could be. His sibling being queer doesn’t stop him from being too. The more, the better!

Anyway, it’s nice to have a genderqueer character who’s not an alien/otherworld being/shapeshifter for once. Unless they turn out to be just that, since we don’t know their origins. But I hope Daniel keeps them as human characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    No shade but I'd be lying if I didn't say I thought the one in pink would be the gay one.
    I'd have put money on the vampire kid being non-binary

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post

Gives a rundown of the new New Warriors characters, including Snowflake who is non-binary.
    oof those sketches of SF&SS costumes reeeally looked rough
    GrindrStone(D)

So yeah, X-Force is out today and has an interesting bar scene that may spark some ideas in terms of characters being revealed as LGBT...

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    That whole movie is one big WTF

Sooo not sad its delayed again lol
    Totally. Apart from the characters being totally ooc and their powers being completely wrong (Sam has power fists and Roberto gets on fire like Johnny), there is also the whitewashing of Cecilia and Roberto.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think it's whitewashing since the actors are not white.

Anyway here some talk about that.
    The New Mutants Trailer Renews Sunspot Whitewashing Controversy
    https://www.cbr.com/new-mutants-trai...shing-sunspot/

It's really brown washing.
    The actors who play Cecilia and Roberto in new mutants look brown and are brown.
    Last edited by mace11; 03-18-2020 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I don't think it's whitewashing since the actors are not white.

Anyway here some talk about that.
    https://www.cbr.com/new-mutants-trai...shing-sunspot/

It's really brown washing.
    The actors who play Cecilia and Roberto in new mutants look brown and are brown.
    Well, this may seem kinda tricky, but as someone who is Brazilian just like Henry Zaga and has basically the same heritage as him (which is mainly Portuguese/Italian/Spanish blood and just a little of Native Brazilian blood) I can say that he is considered white here, as he probably should be everywhere else in the world. Nationality isn’t the same as ethnicity, and being a Latino doesn’t automatically make someone brown, since it’s a term dedicated to a regional status (whether you were or weren’t born in Latino America).

Plus, white Latinos exist and are very much of a thing. He is one of them.

Alice Braga (who plays Cecilia) is also Brazilian, and I guess in terms of her appearance I can see why people not from Brazil think there is some ambiguous ethnicity (I guess sometimes people associate curly hair with being non white, which is kinda random? I don’t know). But again, she is also seen as white here. I honestly don’t know much about her heritage, so I can’t say anything 100%.

Ah, also it’s very common here in Brazil to have like one greatgreatgreatgrandmother that is native Brazilian, but again, that doesn’t make you not white (my case here is this one).

Extraordinary Member

I know they are white Latinos.
    Henry and Braga have a near white look so that may be confusing to alot of folks.
    Henry has look that probably could go either way,white or brown,but i will say he is brown.
    When i look at Braga she looks even less near white.
    I would say she is brown as well.
    Last edited by mace11; 03-18-2020 at 09:12 PM.

When i looks Braga and Henry they do not look white.
    They do look near white but not white.
    They are brown.
    I respect your opinion although I strongly disagree, but I don’t think we should discuss this any further to keep things on topic.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
    I respect your opinion although I strongly disagree, but I don’t think we should discuss this any further to keep things on topic.
    I edited above or below.
    Henry and Braga have a near white look so that may be confusing to alot of folks.
    Henry has a look that probably could go either way i think,white or brown,but i will say he is brown.

Here is another view.

To avoid any other misinterpretation: Whitewashing in this conversation is referring to the term Merriam-Webster defines as, "To alter (an original story) by casting a white performer in a role based on a nonwhite person or fictional character." In the context of this conversation, the definition is a bit malleable because, although Henry Zaga isn't totally considered white (his mother is of Native Brazilian ancestry), his casting is nonetheless, inaccurate and part of a larger problem regarding erasure (and colorism) in popular media.
    Another argument that comes up is the idea that because Zaga is a man of color, his casting is acceptable. Zaga is a man of color, but he is partially Native Brazilian, not black like Roberto. To say any person of color can play the role of another person of color almost implies there are two races: "White" and "Of Color." No one would cast John Cho as the Black Panther just because they're both people of color after all. Each race is different.

When i look at Braga she looks even less near white.
    I would say she is brown as well.
    Last edited by mace11; 03-18-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Doing this fun thing on the X-Boards while quarantined....

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...aracters-(616)

Vote!
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

After the reveal of the new non-binary character in New Warriors, Sina has revealed he wasn't allowed to explicitly say on the page that Madin, from the Iceman mini, is non-binary

I feel really sad/bad for Sina's experience being so damaging and toxic, I do. Its awful and people shouldn't have to experience that.

I can't say that I'm mega jazzed about his putting Marvel on blast every time someone attempts to make improvements though. When does it end?

He has every right to be pissed and bitter, but at the same time -- maybe they're trying to amend and learn from that experience?
    We all process emotion differently and forgiveness isn't something that's easily bestowed when you've been burned and abused, but ....I dunno.
    Heck, maybe his putting them on blast like he is, is actually motivating the powers-that-be to be more sensitive to these considerations for broadening the diversity landscape into less common avenues. Sometimes, if a dog bites you for getting rough with it, you learn to be more gentle?

Either way, I wish him peace and love and healing.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

America Chavez is getting a new book.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    After the reveal of the new non-binary character in New Warriors, Sina has revealed he wasn't allowed to explicitly say on the page that Madin, from the Iceman mini, is non-binary

Kate Leth replied to that saying she wasn’t allowed to write a trans character. She also had some very harsh words to say about Marvel and, similarly to what Sina did once, shaded C.B. Cebulski by calling him “Akira Yoshida”. I guess her experience with Marvel wasn’t good either. It’s sad when bridges are burned between Marvel and queer creators like that. I think things are better now, though, ‘cause the current queer writers Marvel has (Vita Ayala, Tini Howard and Leah Williams) seem to be having the time of their lives at Marvel, writing queer characters and all. I even suspect Vita, who’s non-binary themself, will probably introduce a genderqueer character on their upcoming X-book. And now that they have Steve Orlando, let’s hope he’ll have a good experience as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I feel really sad/bad for Sina's experience being so damaging and toxic, I do. Its awful and people shouldn't have to experience that.

I can't say that I'm mega jazzed about his putting Marvel on blast every time someone attempts to make improvements though. When does it end?

He has every right to be pissed and bitter, but at the same time -- maybe they're trying to amend and learn from that experience?
    We all process emotion differently and forgiveness isn't something that's easily bestowed when you've been burned and abused, but ....I dunno.
    Heck, maybe his putting them on blast like he is, is actually motivating the powers-that-be to be more sensitive to these considerations for broadening the diversity landscape into less common avenues. Sometimes, if a dog bites you for getting rough with it, you learn to be more gentle?

Either way, I wish him peace and love and healing.
    To be fair with Sina, he did have a good reaction to when Luciano Vecchio used Darkveil on his Marvel’s Voices story, and they even had a very polite exchange on Twitter regarding it. Considering Luciano also co-created these new characters for NW, I don’t think Sina was trying to be bitchy towards the creators or anything like that, but just pointing out the double standard he had to go through. And like you said, I think it’s important that he calls them out like this because it could encourage them to try and do better with other creators. Like I said above, I think things have been improving.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-20-2020 at 01:47 PM.