View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 1052 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 525529521002104210481049105010511052105310541055105610621102 ... LastLast
Results 15,766 to 15,780 of 16973
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Personally, I find Xavin problematic.

A male character who became gender fluid simply and solely to sleep with a lesbian character.

I get that it was trying to be progressive, but it's just a bit 'pervy basement dude who can shapeshift to sleep with the forbidden fruit' level of 2000s attempt but get it wrong.

I'd just rather they didnt.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    They could do an interesting story with that, even going as far as the Kree Nega Bands being made to counter that part too.

Potential problem with that is that Richie used them for a bit when Wendall was dead, so they'd out Nova at the same time and I think people would definitely start shouting if all the cosmic male characters were getting 'gayed up'
    There are a number of special circumstances around Rich's use of the quantum bands that would sides step that concern though. For one thing he used them very briefly - he got them on the very last page of #23 and was done using them before the end of issue #25. He also wasn't in a "normal" condition when he used the bands--he was dying as a side effect of how his Nova power was ripped away from him, so the bands were helping to keep him alive. Lastly, Wendell's energy "ghost" was with him the entire time, guiding and advising him. The fact that Wendell was still there and connected to the bands might override any anti-straight security the bands have in place.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    There are a number of special circumstances around Rich's use of the quantum bands that would sides step that concern though. For one thing he used them very briefly - he got them on the very last page of #23 and was done using them before the end of issue #25. He also wasn't in a "normal" condition when he used the bands--he was dying as a side effect of how his Nova power was ripped away from him, so the bands were helping to keep him alive. Lastly, Wendell's energy "ghost" was with him the entire time, guiding and advising him. The fact that Wendell was still there and connected to the bands might override any anti-straight security the bands have in place.
    Yeah, I’ve always subscribed to the Wendell’s ghost was helping him theory.

But are you guys alluding to that only queer people can use the bands?

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Personally, I find Xavin problematic.

A male character who became gender fluid simply and solely to sleep with a lesbian character.

I get that it was trying to be progressive, but it's just a bit 'pervy basement dude who can shapeshift to sleep with the forbidden fruit' level of 2000s attempt but get it wrong.

I'd just rather they didnt.
    I didn't get that reading at all, Molly at one point even ask's Xavin why they don't stay in their female form all the time for Karolina and Xavin responded that being genderfluid was simply who they were.

Xavin seemed quite content and assured in their fludity it was everyone else not understanding or fully accepting it and trying to box them into one gender that began to cause them to self-doubt which I think a lot of non-binary people can probally relate to.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yeah, I’ve always subscribed to the Wendell’s ghost was helping him theory.

But are you guys alluding to that only queer people can use the bands?
    We were suggesting that could be something introduced to the Quantum Bands, it's not a canon thing, just something we were floating as a potentially interesting story idea
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    I didn't get that reading at all, Molly at one point even ask's Xavin why they don't stay in their female form all the time for Karolina and Xavin responded that being genderfluid was simply who they were.

Xavin seemed quite content and assured in their fludity it was everyone else not understanding or fully accepting it and trying to box them into one gender that began to cause them to self-doubt which I think a lot of non-binary people can probally relate to.
    Yeah, that's exactly how I read Xavin under BKV's run. Then Whedon came along and tried to pull that ''Xavin is subconsciously female'' crap, which has been ignored ever since, so I don't think it matters anyway.

Extraordinary Member

I do want to learn about more that part of Skrull culture(or subculture, since they got a massive population spread across their Empire.)
    Since Skrulls in older comics seem to have a more fixed gender identity.(And use gendered terms like Emperor, Empress, Princess, etc.) And some long-term shifter(meaning to stay in a form that is not their default for a long time, like Hulking himself, Hulking's foster mom, and Lyja) seem to prefer stay the same gender even if they changed their look into another species.(Not that writers would explore that part of Skrull lore back then.)
    Hulking is a special case since he is a hybrid, but also culturally an Earthling. Yes, his foster mom is a Skrull, but I doubt she ever actually acted like one or talked about that with Teddy in fear of exposing herself.

Extraordinary Member

While Young Avengers is mostly known as a team with high queer percentage, what about Champions?

I know there’s Viv. There are rumors that Ironheart will be bisexual in the upcoming Disney + show.

Are there any other champions members you see evidence they’re queer?

It’s not lost on me that both the upcoming writer and artist team are LGBT+ themselves.

Astonishing Member

While Young Avengers is mostly known as a team with high queer percentage, what about Champions?

I know there’s Viv. There are rumors that Ironheart will be bisexual in the upcoming Disney + show.

Are there any other champions members you see evidence they’re queer?

It’s not lost on me that both the upcoming writer and artist team are LGBT+ themselves.
    Wasp (Nadia) has had some hints of being something other than straight. It has yet to be defined on-panel but Jeremy Whitley, who wrote her solo series, said that she is asexual.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I do want to learn about more that part of Skrull culture(or subculture, since they got a massive population spread across their Empire.)
    Since Skrulls in older comics seem to have a more fixed gender identity.(And use gendered terms like Emperor, Empress, Princess, etc.) And some long-term shifter(meaning to stay in a form that is not their default for a long time, like Hulking himself, Hulking's foster mom, and Lyja) seem to prefer stay the same gender even if they changed their look into another species.(Not that writers would explore that part of Skrull lore back then.)
    Hulking is a special case since he is a hybrid, but also culturally an Earthling. Yes, his foster mom is a Skrull, but I doubt she ever actually acted like one or talked about that with Teddy in fear of exposing herself.
    I actually think that there could be some really cool stories about basically the forcing of gender roles on Skrull culture when there's not biological factors dictating sex and basically reframe Xavin as someone who was assigned a male role by their parents to project a certain image as a prince when they don't actually identify as solely male.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I actually think that there could be some really cool stories about basically the forcing of gender roles on Skrull culture when there's not biological factors dictating sex and basically reframe Xavin as someone who was assigned a male role by their parents to project a certain image as a prince when they don't actually identify as solely male.
    Just FYI, the Skrull who impersonated Pym and impregnated Tigra, was female.

Ultimate Member

Just FYI, the Skrull who impersonated Pym and impregnated Tigra, was female.
    Where was that revealed?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Yeah, Skrull history has been inconsistent, but it would be interesting to find out that Skrull aren't born with a fixed gender (although some might have preferences), and that certain roles in Skrull society have a sort of gender-bias built in so that a Skrull who is promoted to a certain rank might find it necessary (or just advantageous) to change to the 'proper' gender for that role, even if that's not their favorite gender (or the one they held in their last position).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Where was that revealed?
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Criti_Noll_(Earth-616)
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Criti...ne)_(Earth-616)

In the pages of Avengers: The Initiative

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, Skrull history has been inconsistent, but it would be interesting to find out that Skrull aren't born with a fixed gender (although some might have preferences), and that certain roles in Skrull society have a sort of gender-bias built in so that a Skrull who is promoted to a certain rank might find it necessary (or just advantageous) to change to the 'proper' gender for that role, even if that's not their favorite gender (or the one they held in their last position).
    I mean, it doesn't have to be "inconsistency", like I said they are a Galactic Empire with god knows how many population.
    It's not reasonable to think they would be more culturally homogeneous than humans/Earthlings.(Also there is the fact the Skrull Empire got shattered before, so there would be some time period where there is no "Emperor's will" to enforce some kind of cultural homogeneity even there is the intent.)
    But again that's the thing with writing some alien civilizations, their diversity/difference within themselves doesn't often match their supposed size.(Like all of their gazillions population speaking the same language with no variation what-so-ever.)Star Wars kinda do it well, but it sometimes lean into racial stereotypes in real world.(And arguably humans are still the most diverse ones even though Star Wars humans are technically "alien" to us Earthlings.)
    Edit: Also I kinda forget Xavin being a prince thing, so what kind of prince is he.(Clearly he is not part of the Dorrek "Imperial family") Do Skrull Empire have smaller kingdoms within it or something?
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 02-17-2021 at 10:14 PM.