View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 107 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 757971031041051061071081091101111171572076071107 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 16973
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I personally still consider Victoria Hand on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to be a lesbian even though they never brought that up on the show. And as for Guardians of the Galaxy, considering that it has a talking tree and a talking raccoon as main characters I assume Disney/Marvel views it as something that's mostly for kids, so it's quite probable that they won't add any lesbian characters to it for fear of a conservative backlash. I still think that their TV shows which are mostly targeted at an older audience and doesn't have the same kind of high-level status that the movie franchises do are the most likely places we could see some openly LGBT characters.

But that's just me being cynical/pragmatic, I would love to actually see some openly LGBT characters in the movies even if it is in small roles.

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    "We don't want to kill two lesbians in one episode." Well, if it's a couple rather than two individual characters, then it creates a Romeo and Juliet-esque (an entirely overrated play that needs to be purged from the public consciousness, but anyway) tragedy of one lover dying, then the other. So that would actually be pretty logical.
    I like Romeo&Juliet a lot as a play. I think most companies put it on WRONG! Which is where the biggest backlash comes from (though the scene they discover "dead" Juliet is PAINFULLY bad; possibly one of Shakespeare's worst scenes). R&J should always, ALWAYS be directed as a comedy; with the tragedy speaking for itself. Most productions fail in that regard, and 'play the ending' from the first scene.

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    Would it be too distracting to have some S.H.I.E.L.D. agents flirting in the background of one episode? That's a subtle way of doing it.
    At this point, having gone on so long with no LGBT characters, to have the first openly LGBT character be extras would be incredibly insulting (in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I personally still consider Victoria Hand on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to be a lesbian even though they never brought that up on the show. And as for Guardians of the Galaxy, considering that it has a talking tree and a talking raccoon as main characters I assume Disney/Marvel views it as something that's mostly for kids, so it's quite probable that they won't add any lesbian characters to it for fear of a conservative backlash. I still think that their TV shows which are mostly targeted at an older audience and doesn't have the same kind of high-level status that the movie franchises do are the most likely places we could see some openly LGBT characters.
    I too personally consider here to be a lesbian as well; even though she wasn't. I'm not giving them such an easy out. They never confirmed it, they never hinted at it, I won't "count it" as an example of an LGBT character in the MCU (I love my 'in my own head canon' but I know it's not actual canon).

Has anyone seen the Marvel One-Shot: All Hail The King? I read that in it Justin Hammer refers to another prison inmate as "baby" and some people say that means the MCU Justin Hammer is supposed to be gay or bi, but others say it was just a prison gay joke.

A thought occurred to me, rather than using Destiny; how would people feel is Mystique dated young Storm in X-men: Age of Apocalypse? Mystique could be "her Yukio" and Storm "her Destiny"?

Has anyone seen the Marvel One-Shot: All Hail The King? I read that in it Justin Hammer refers to another prison inmate as "baby" and some people say that means the MCU Justin Hammer is supposed to be gay or bi, but others say it was just a prison gay joke.
    Haven't seen it; but this is interesting.

Some fun fan art from deviantart

(Samanya is a creation of the artist)

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

I've seen it, and I didn't notice the reference personally. So yeah, take it as a gay joke because my gaydar is great and if it meant anything else I would have noticed. :P
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    A thought occurred to me, rather than using Destiny; how would people feel is Mystique dated young Storm in X-men: Age of Apocalypse? Mystique could be "her Yukio" and Storm "her Destiny"?
    I'd be fine with it. Bring on the love triangle!

I have seen it. They're clearly together, but it's more than likely just a prison gay joke. Sam Rockwell is so good, so funny, and so casual about it, though, that I like to take it to mean that Justin Hammer is at least open-minded enough about it. Like, he doesn't judge and he totally could be gay or bi.

'Cos he's clearly jealous of the fact that Pepper Potts is on the cover of Forbes magazine, but with the way he goes on and on about Tony, I kind of think he has a crush on Tony, as well, and that's feeding into his jealousy of Pepper, lol. I don't remember any relationship stuff for him in the Iron Man 2 movie, not even casually checking a woman out or anything...

Anyway, I can only post one video per post, so I'm going to post the one with better quality, but chronologically speaking...

This video has a bit that happens before the joke in question (you'll have to turn your sound way up high to hear anything):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAw9Xg6czBU

Then this video has all the stuff that was in that other video, just not a little bit that happened before it:

Last edited by Starleafgirl; 11-18-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

I thought I read somewhere that Justin Hammer was gay. But I have no source. And I don't remember it being implied in Fraction's Iron Man, which is the only Iron Man I've read. He did have that gay couple who worked for his company though.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

So the moral of the story is: watch through the credits even if the film's ten minutes long? :P

EDIT: So does this mean he likes hammering Sam?
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    CBR's LGBT Community

But that's just me being cynical/pragmatic, I would love to actually see some openly LGBT characters in the movies even if it is in small roles.
    I'd say that Disney would be less likely than Marvel to shy away from having lesbians in the Marvel movies. Disney's very pro-gay, and has been steadily making more and more moves in that direction, including a lesbian couple appearing in an episode of some show. So I think Disney would be fine with GotG having a lesbian couple in it. Plus, I kinda get the feeling that Disney's probably taking a hands-off approach to the Marvel movies, because Marvel's already proven they know what they're doing.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'd say that Disney would be less likely than Marvel to shy away from having lesbians in the Marvel movies. Disney's very pro-gay, and has been steadily making more and more moves in that direction, including a lesbian couple appearing in an episode of some show. So I think Disney would be fine with GotG having a lesbian couple in it. Plus, I kinda get the feeling that Disney's probably taking a hands-off approach to the Marvel movies, because Marvel's already proven they know what they're doing.
    Then Marvel really shouldn't be so shy about it (they promoted the hell out of their Northstar wedding issue, after all). Screw the conservatives. If they don't want their kids watching it, they just won't take their kids to see it, right? Vote with your dollars!

Plus, if they're shy about it, they could play it the same way it would've been played ten years ago: with lots of longing looks and companionship, just no sexy kiss stuff or whatever. It's just kind of ridiculous that they'd not want these two awesome characters in their movie... it ups the female ratio, too, and that's something they desperately need.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Then Marvel really shouldn't be so shy about it (they promoted the hell out of their Northstar wedding issue, after all). Screw the conservatives. If they don't want their kids watching it, they just won't take their kids to see it, right? Vote with your dollars!
    That's kinda the point. They want that money. There are plenty of places in the US that aren't particularly accepting of homosexuality. And these are international movies, and plenty of countries don't have great views of homosexuality, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    I'd be fine with it. Bring on the love triangle!

I have seen it. They're clearly together, but it's more than likely just a prison gay joke. Sam Rockwell is so good, so funny, and so casual about it, though, that I like to take it to mean that Justin Hammer is at least open-minded enough about it. Like, he doesn't judge and he totally could be gay or bi.

'Cos he's clearly jealous of the fact that Pepper Potts is on the cover of Forbes magazine, but with the way he goes on and on about Tony, I kind of think he has a crush on Tony, as well, and that's feeding into his jealousy of Pepper, lol. I don't remember any relationship stuff for him in the Iron Man 2 movie, not even casually checking a woman out or anything...

Anyway, I can only post one video per post, so I'm going to post the one with better quality, but chronologically speaking...

This video has a bit that happens before the joke in question (you'll have to turn your sound way up high to hear anything):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAw9Xg6czBU

Then this video has all the stuff that was in that other video, just not a little bit that happened before it:

After watching that now I do think that MCU Justin Hammer is gay or bi. He bitches about Pepper and says that Tony is handsome, his prison boyfriend definitely looks gay. Now I wish Justin Hammer could make another appearance in the MCU, but I don't know how likely that is.

So I took the test and I got Greymalkin. I was hoping for Wiccan or Anole, but I can't in all honesty say I disagree with getting Greymalkin. It actually fits pretty well.
    That being said, I do feel like I have a bit of Billy and Victor in me as well.

Hmmmmm... I am of two minds. Would James Gunn so carelessly out Marvel as being against having LGBT characters to someone he doesn't know? BUT if this is true... it's very disappointing/offensive.

I'm sorry, but that is weak-sauce BS! (not your fault, I'm not shooting the messenger ) They can't have it both ways!!! They can't avoid the fallout of killing off the only two LGBT characters in the MCU by not confirming them as lesbians, but simultaneously try and pretend "we do have LGBT characters" by saying they saw them as lesbians. GOD! Jonathan Hickman's mentality is clearly catching at Marvel. Say you have LGBT characters, but never say you have LGBT characters. Problem solved. UGH!!! I'm just so angry at this level of ignorance/cowardice!!!

And how disappointing that LGBT characters can only exist when things are "dark and dramatic"
    I pretty much agree with all of this.
    Marvel banning gay characters in their movies is disappointing and offensive if true. It's like something from the time of the comics code. Sickening.

And yeah, they can't claim credit for LGBT characters with a character they killed off without ever showing they were LGBT on the show. That's just pathetic.

I like Romeo&Juliet a lot as a play. I think most companies put it on WRONG! Which is where the biggest backlash comes from (though the scene they discover "dead" Juliet is PAINFULLY bad; possibly one of Shakespeare's worst scenes). R&J should always, ALWAYS be directed as a comedy; with the tragedy speaking for itself. Most productions fail in that regard, and 'play the ending' from the first scene.

At this point, having gone on so long with no LGBT characters, to have the first openly LGBT character be extras would be incredibly insulting (in my opinion).

I too personally consider here to be a lesbian as well; even though she wasn't. I'm not giving them such an easy out. They never confirmed it, they never hinted at it, I won't "count it" as an example of an LGBT character in the MCU (I love my 'in my own head canon' but I know it's not actual canon).
    A bit OT, but I loathe R&J as a play, whether comedy or tragedy. I just find it a terrible story.

And I agree that having the first LGBT character in the MCU be mere extras would be horrible. After waiting this long, we really deserve better.
    In fact, I'm not a fan of the suggestion Justin Hammer is gay (not seen the one-shot). A very minor character in a tiny side story that you have to go out of your way to watch.
    Marvel have plenty of great LGBT characters that work in the MCU and deserve to be seen there.

As for considering Victoria Hand a lesbian. I always considered the movies (Marvel and Fox) to be influenced in a good part by the Ultimate universe. As such i had this idea that Colossus would be the gay UU version. I doubt they'd do that though.

I'm not a fan of this idea. Nor do I see it happening.
    If they are going to show Mystique as being bi, they really need to use Destiny.
    Using a character that is at best highly debatable as being bi is again, insulting to their existing LGBT characters.
    Aside from that, I like Storm, but her and Mystique just doesn't work IMO. But then neither did Mystique and Iceman and that didn't stop Marvel in the comics.

I never considered Disney particularly LGBT-friendly. Sure they have that gay day over at Disney Land, but that seems to me like more of a cash grab.
    The only gay character in a western animated movie is still from Paranorman. Not a Disney movie. Talk to me again when Disney bring out a movie about two princes.
    Your example of a lesbian couple in 'some show' is hardly inspiring. You can't even name the show and no doubt this couple only got a few seconds of screen time. It's the same as for the MCU, if Disney introduces their first ever LGBT characters, they really should do better than a one scene extra.
    Last edited by NexusTenebrare; 11-19-2014 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    As such i had this idea that Colossus would be the gay UU version. I doubt they'd do that though.
    Fox's X-Men films started a whole year before Mark Millar began Ultimate X-Men (the black costumes probably took inspiration from the film), and production a while before then. I'd be pissed if they introduced gay Colossus too. The X-Men films are pretty much in-line with the mainstream Marvel Universe, and I bet Claremont would disagree too. We need some Colossus/Kitty scenes. I mean one of them is gay already, kind of. :P

I never considered Disney particularly LGBT-friendly. Sure they have that gay day over at Disney Land, but that seems to me like more of a cash grab.
    The only gay character in a western animated movie is still from Paranorman. Not a Disney movie. Talk to me again when Disney bring out a movie about two princes.
    Your example of a lesbian couple in 'some show' is hardly inspiring. You can't even name the show and no doubt this couple only got a few seconds of screen time. It's the same as for the MCU, if Disney introduces their first ever LGBT characters, they really should do better than a one scene extra.
    Paranorman is an absolute favourite of mine and I don't like Disney much (besides Pixar). I wonder why that is?

Also, the show was Good Luck Charlie on Disney Channel. One Million Moms responded badly.

Disney has decided to be politically correct instead of providing family-friendly programming. Disney should stick to entertaining, not pushing an agenda.

Conservative families need to urge Disney to avoid controversial topics that children are far too young to comprehend. This is the last place a parent would expect their children to be confronted with topics that are too difficult for them to understand. Mature issues of this nature are being introduced too early and too soon, and it is extremely unnecessary.

That's kinda the point. They want that money. There are plenty of places in the US that aren't particularly accepting of homosexuality. And these are international movies, and plenty of countries don't have great views of homosexuality, either.
    The same idea probably factored into making the Red Skull Hydra and not wearing a Swastika jumpsuit, and not really mentioning the Winter Soldier's history with the Russians. Because yeah, if Russia was going to screen the next Marvel film and it had gay characters, statistically that's half the country who are going to hate at Marvel. And Russia's a big country. Don't want superheroes giving the kids any 'gay propaganda'.
    CBR's LGBT Community