View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 11 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521611115111011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Wouldn't that be Felicia Hardy? It was hinted that she's into women more than men, whose she uses for their money. I believe that Felicia is the first LGBT rather than Daken.
    Has she had an on-going solo series? And was her bisexuality revealed before the series came out? (and ref. in the series?). I'm very, VERY poor at my knowledge of the Spider-verse (outside of the AMAZING Superior Foes of Spiderman). Any help would be appreciated.

I think she has never had a solo series? She had mini series but I don't think she ever had an ongoing, unless one of those minis was supposed to be a ongoing that got quickly cancelled. Her bisexuality is addressed in Spider-Man/Black Cat, a mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Another awesome piece of fan art; with many of Marvel's LGBT heroes in it. Enjoy.

Which version of Beast is that?

And I love that they included Union Jack and Destroyer.
    Anyone else slightly annoyed that by this point most golden age heroes seem to have been revived or found themselves in the MU present in some way except those two?

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Which version of Beast is that?

And I love that they included Union Jack and Destroyer.
    Anyone else slightly annoyed that by this point most golden age heroes seem to have been revived or found themselves in the MU present in some way except those two?
    The Beast there was from the last volume of Exiles. The final issue revealed that he had been in a relationship with his world's Wonder Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    The Beast there was from the last volume of Exiles. The final issue revealed that he had been in a relationship with his world's Wonder Man.
    I vaguely recall that now that you mention it, but it's somewhere way in the back of my head.

Does anyone remember All Winners Squad: Band of Heroes?
    There was an gay character in that and they were building his part of the story up to something really intersting (and tragic), but it got cancelled out of the blue without any kind of resolution.
    Such a shame because I really enjoyed it.

Astonishing Member

Fair enough; but I don't. In my opinion Daken is the first LGBT solo series at Marvel.
    Personally, I would say that DAKEN was the first (ongoing) solo series to acknowledge their lead character was LGBT in series. Mystique was already established as LGBT before her solo book started--that was something people knew going in. It just never ended up getting dealt with on-panel during the series run (although McKeever did plan to add a new female love interest for her had the series continued, according to interviews).

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Does anyone remember All Winners Squad: Band of Heroes?
    There was an gay character in that and they were building his part of the story up to something really intersting (and tragic), but it got cancelled out of the blue without any kind of resolution.
    Such a shame because I really enjoyed it.
    Someone brought this up earlier; I've never read the series but the gay couple was (apparently)
    AMERICAN ACE [Perry Wade]
    CAPTAIN FLAME [Frank Cortez]

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Personally, I would say that DAKEN was the first (ongoing) solo series to acknowledge their lead character was LGBT in series. Mystique was already established as LGBT before her solo book started--that was something people knew going in. It just never ended up getting dealt with on-panel during the series run (although McKeever did plan to add a new female love interest for her had the series continued, according to interviews).
    Fair point, I just don't like counting the first LGBT on-going solo to be one where LGBT isn't a part of it (what kind of message does that send for "progress"????)

Astonishing Member

Fair point, I just don't like counting the first LGBT on-going solo to be one where LGBT isn't a part of it (what kind of message does that send for "progress"????)
    The fact that an established LGBT character got a solo book at all IS progress. It may not have been a huge leap, but it was a step forward. Look at Northstar. He was officially in the closet for over a decade, with only subtle (and some not-so-subtle) hints as to his sexuality. Then he finally came out...and for years, that was it. Even his miniseries contained only vague references to his orientation. Eventually he got to start talking about being gay again...but not have a love interest (aside from a mostly off-panel fling with Hector). It has only been in the last few years that Northstar has really been a fully integrated gay character, with all aspects of his life being portrayed just as they would a straight character's. But it took a lot of baby steps to get there.

By today's standard, where we've got team books with multiple LGBT members, and on-panel kisses between same-sex couples becoming more common, etc, the MYSTIQUE series really doesn't stand out for LGBT representation. I agree with that completely. But the fact remains that Mystique was a known LGBT character at the time her solo book was published--which, at the time, was a blow for visibility simply because it had never happened before at Marvel. It was one of the baby steps.

The fact that an established LGBT character got a solo book at all IS progress. It may not have been a huge leap, but it was a step forward.

By today's standard, where we've got team books with multiple LGBT members, and on-panel kisses between same-sex couples becoming more common, etc, the MYSTIQUE series really doesn't stand out for LGBT representation. I agree with that completely. But the fact remains that Mystique was a known LGBT character at the time her solo book was published--which, at the time, was a blow for visibility simply because it had never happened before at Marvel. It was one of the baby steps.
    You're a hard man to argue with I agree it was a step, a small, tiny, (by modern standard) nearly insignificant step... but it was a step. I just cannot bring myself to label it "the first LGBT solo series." It maybe I'm ignoring a step, but Daken (and his series) is far more deserving of the title than a character who many argue isn't even LGBT (one relationship one time, with one woman doesn't make you bi -- sexuality applies to more than a one-off event).

This was too hilarious NOT to post!

Astonishing Member

You're a hard man to argue with I agree it was a step, a small, tiny, (by modern standard) nearly insignificant step... but it was a step. I just cannot bring myself to label it "the first LGBT solo series." It maybe I'm ignoring a step, but Daken (and his series) is far more deserving of the title than a character who many argue isn't even LGBT (one relationship one time, with one woman doesn't make you bi -- sexuality applies to more than a one-off event).
    One relationship, one time--that lasted for YEARS, and was the only relationship we've seen that she actually had an emotional investment in. If were going to pretend that Mystique isn't bisexual and define her as either straight or gay, then I'd argue that there is more evidence of her being a lesbian than being straight simply based on the depth of her emotional attachment to Irene and the lack of an emotional attachment to pretty much every man she's ever bedded.

I find the idea of dismissing Mystique's bisexuality simply because she's only been seen with one woman (thus far) to be a bit offensive, to be honest. Bisexual doesn't mean equal 50/50 attraction to both sexes; it isn't a numbers game. I think the depth of emotion that Mystique showed for Destiny (and the number of years their relationship endured) should be proof enough that it wasn't just some one-time thing.

One relationship, one time--that lasted for YEARS, and was the only relationship we've seen that she actually had an emotional investment in. If were going to pretend that Mystique isn't bisexual and define her as either straight or gay, then I'd argue that there is more evidence of her being a lesbian than being straight simply based on the depth of her emotional attachment to Irene and the lack of an emotional attachment to pretty much every man she's ever bedded.

I find the idea of dismissing Mystique's bisexuality simply because she's only been seen with one woman (thus far) to be a bit offensive, to be honest. Bisexual doesn't mean equal 50/50 attraction to both sexes; it isn't a numbers game. I think the depth of emotion that Mystique showed for Destiny (and the number of years their relationship endured) should be proof enough that it wasn't just some one-time thing.
    The complaint is that she routinely shows both sexual and romantic interest in men, but, aside from Destiny, has never shown any sexual or romantic interest in women. At some point, it starts to look suspicious when a character touted as one of their most prominent LGBT characters never actually demonstrates that she's LGBT.

And hell, it's not like it'd be that tough to show it. She doesn't even need to have a girlfriend. Next time she has to break in somewhere, instead of having her seducing a male guard, have her seduce a female guard. Why is it, whenever she's showing an interest in someone, it always - without exception - has to be a male? She's clearly a sexual being - she's someone who enjoys having sex, even when there's no real purpose behind it. So why is every single person she chooses to have sex with a male? Given her history, can she actually be considered bisexual, or is she straight-with-an-exception?

You say she's had no emotional attachment to the men. I would say that's patently bullshit. She was in love with Forge, certainly. It's strongly implied that she had feelings for Iceman. What complicated those relationships was that she didn't want to have feelings for them. She didn't want that level of vulnerability, and so she often acted against those men in order to prove she didn't care about them.

Not to turn this into a discussion focusing solely on what makes someone gay, bi, trans, etc... but I have a male friend who is bi but chooses not to engage in sexual relations with men. He told me he knows there's an attraction there but he chooses not to pursue it because he claims it's not as strong as his attraction to women and he's just not interested. Who knows how he'll feel in a few years. He has a girlfriend right now tho. Maybe Mystique is the same. She is sexually attracted to women but chooses not to pursue it for some reason.

I do agree with Tiamatty, especially considering the fact that Mystique is able to experience sex from every single point of view. She can be the woman with a man, the man with a woman, the woman with a woman, and the man with a man. She should be called omnisexual. I know that's not a word but it makes the most sense.

This question has nothing to do with Marvel but does DC have any LGBT characters? The only one I know of is Bat-Woman.
    Last edited by BushidoBlade2; 06-11-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Brown View Post
    This question has nothing to do with Marvel but does DC have any LGBT characters? The only one I know of is Bat-Woman.
    A fair amount, few major characters, 'though.

Batwoman, the Earth 2 Green Lantern, and Bunker are the only ones I know of currently in a book. Possibly Constantine.

My favorite DC team, the Legion of Super-Heroes, had two members of the most recent team, Ayla/Lightning Lass and Salu/Shrinking Violet in a relationship (although both have dated men in the past). A couple of secondary characters, Jed/Power Boy and Tel/Gravity Lad, also are dating and possibly even married (one was referred to as a 'spouse' at one point). In a previous continuity, one of the male teammates was dating a MtF transgendered person, and continued to date them when the process wore off for a while and 'she' became a 'he.'