View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 117 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 17671071131141151161171181191201211271672176171117 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 16973

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I think there is a difference between Marvel printing a letter and Marvel advocating for said letter's point. I imagine that they received far worse letters at the time which they did not print. The letter-writer, Aaron Gore, while definitely prejudiced, isn't really "expressing vile hatred." This was probably one of the few letters from the "other side" where the person had anything close to a rational thought, misguided as we may think it is.

And I think that there is plenty of reason to print letters like this, even if only to show people how bizarre people sound when they try to justify their prejudice or bigotry. To me, a letter like this can help more than a letter praising the Hulkling/Wiccan relationship because anyone who's "in the middle", so to speak, might read that letter and think "wow, I don't want to be on that guy's side".
    When someone proudly calls them self "anti-gay" and labels homosexuality as a "character flaw" they are full of hate. And I consider homophobia vile. So "vile hatred" seems very apt. I'm done using kid gloves for bigots. It is time to call a spade a spade!

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    The community forum had a thread about whether characters should have PTSD, someone suggested Peter Parker's whole life was a PSTD trigger.
    Peter Parker is actually a character I would consider an exception to the rule.
    He was actually shown badly suffering from the things that happened to him. I remember quite a few times that he was very broken psychologically. Of course the fact that he had at one time four books a month devoted to him alone allowed for more psychological exploration than the average superhero comic.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

I guess I shouldn't just assume everyone knows what I know but it's always interesting when something like that happens. The new writers for Wonder Woman didn't know she had a gay following until taking on the title. I'm like "whaaaaa?"
    I didn't know she had a gay following until I read up on the Heinberg run! Now I've been reading some Denny O'Neil Diana Prince: Wonder Woman I'm like "yeah, gonna add to that gay following."

The letter-writer ABR posted thinks we are over represented yet people still seemed surprised to see us. LOL
    Overrepresentation made me laugh. Two gay characters dating plus a girl in Runaways come to mind as 'active gay characters in 2005'. Overrepresentation my ass.

Well even if it's canon they sometimes forget and draw guys looking at girls. I guess I can hope that most writers would know better.
    Get me to write, Marvel. My canon will be perfect.
    *and the script very, very overdue

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    When someone proudly calls them self "anti-gay" and labels homosexuality as a "character flaw" they are full of hate.
    It's a character strength.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    When someone proudly calls them self "anti-gay" and labels homosexuality as a "character flaw" they are full of hate. And I consider homophobia vile. So "vile hatred" seems very apt. I'm done using kid gloves for bigots. It is time to call a spade a spade!
    Oh, I'm not defending his stance; I think it's definitely an example of bigotry. I was defending Marvel's decision to print that letter. I don't think that unpopular opinions should be silenced or ignored, whether I agree with them or not.

They don't really still print letters, but Brevoort will post some comments and questions from fans that are much more hate filled than that. And he does it not because he agrees, but instead to show how stupid those folks sound.

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    Not sure if I've posted this in the thread before, but here's an interesting letter from Young Avengers (v1) #7.
    I remember that one. The overwhelming response to it, both from the Marvel staffer who wrote the letter column, and from numerous fans in subsequent columns, was "You're dead wrong." So there's that, at least.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Not sure if I've posted this in the thread before, but here's an interesting letter from Young Avengers (v1) #7.
    What an interesting letter.

One the one hand, what a tool for thinking that homosexuality if a flaw.....but on the other, I kinda respect him for stating outright he's a bigot and then going on to say that he's still going to read anyway and has found his own, granted wrong and generally insulting way to get over it and still find enjoyment from the title.

His view is wrong, but his approach at least is somewhat more refreshing than just 'rabble rabble rabble'
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Overrepresentation made me laugh. Two gay characters dating plus a girl in Runaways come to mind as 'active gay characters in 2005'. Overrepresentation my ass.
    In fairness, he did say comics were the exception to the overrepresentation of gays.

While we're on the subject of anti-gay letters, though, I remember Avengers Academy also printed a letter from a guy who said he was dropping the book over Striker being gay. The guy wrote his letter in a polite and reasonable manner, so Christos Gage gave a similarly polite and reasonable response, and some later letters were the same.

Fantastic Member

Proof that one can be bigoted and not be a huge @ss at the same time. I don't know if that is a good thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Did anybody ever tell you that your writing style really matches your location?

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    In fairness, he did say comics were the exception to the overrepresentation of gays.

While we're on the subject of anti-gay letters, though, I remember Avengers Academy also printed a letter from a guy who said he was dropping the book over Striker being gay. The guy wrote his letter in a polite and reasonable manner, so Christos Gage gave a similarly polite and reasonable response, and some later letters were the same.
    I remember reading a letter about the death of Jim Wilson in The Incredible Hulk who felt that homosexuality was an absolute abomination and that comics should not in the slightest deal with the issues surrounding it. The response that the writers gave to it was quite mature.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Over representation? How can you have over representation when there's like 5 out of thousands and thousands of marvel characters who are gay and none that are openly transgender?

Such arguments are the works of fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Over representation? How can you have over representation when there's like 5 out of thousands and thousands of marvel characters who are gay and none that are openly transgender?

Such arguments are the works of fools.
    He said gay people are over-represented in every other media (which I strongly disagree with) and that comics were actually the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    He said gay people are over-represented in every other media (which I strongly disagree with) and that comics were actually the exception.
    I believe the reason this person feels they're "over-represented" is simply based on the attention(spot light?) these characters get, upon their introduction. Or at least around when that letter was written?
    Its so common for gay characters to have a coming out story or a "reveal" story, focusing a lot of energy around a plot to illustrate that process for audiences/readers/etc. From an anti-homosexual stance, having an episode or issue or movie or whatever focus on a gay character -- because of the "unique" factor -- comes across as pushing an agenda or making a political statement or whatever other silly paranoia springs to mind. Its not "common" so therefor its intentions are suspect.

Whereas nowadays, more and more, characters are being included among ensemble casts (in whatever medium) already defined (for lack of a better word) and not on a journey of discovery or struggling with identity and self acceptance. Scandal and How to get away with Murder immediately spring to mind as being tv shows that have homosexual characters. Its not like back in the day when Dawson's Creek had to have a 4 episode arc of "coming out" and then a lengthy season long subsequent journey of navigating the "gay experience".

Someone ordered a playable Wiccan?

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post

I think it's idiotic for anyone to say gays are over-represented in any form of media. It's like saying blacks are over-represented on TV or women are over-represented in ... I can't even think of an idiotic example for that one.

I thought that Gage letter was great. I'm not sure if Gage's letter was the one I was thinking of or if PAD ever wrote a response like that in the letters column, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Heck, yeah! I was just about to post this, lol.

The costume isn't available yet, but it's by TheDink, the lady who also brought us Shirtless Gambit* (*not the official name...) which I just got in-game for my Gambit today, hehe!

Bigger: http://i.imgur.com/EGmu12e.jpg

Bigger: http://i.imgur.com/D1AAJKk.jpg
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Sorry, that's for me.
    ... hold on. Where are my fries?

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    I think it's idiotic for anyone to say gays are over-represented in any form of media. It's like saying blacks are over-represented on TV or women are over-represented in ... I can't even think of an idiotic example for that one.
    Did you know that trans are overrepresented because one Marvel character is trans?

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    The costume isn't available yet, but it's by TheDink, the lady who also brought us Shirtless Gambit* (*not the official name...) which I just got in-game for my Gambit today, hehe!

Bigger: http://i.imgur.com/D1AAJKk.jpg
    ... So, you're basically saying I should download the game now?
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community