View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 199 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 99149189195196197198199200201202203209249299699 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 16973

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    She'd just drag'em down.

But, Wilson or DeConnick could do wonders with Phyla.
    I was thinking the opposite, but YMMV.

I know this isn't a DC thread, but since Marvel won't give us a gay male solo on-going, how many here are reading Midnighter for DC? I tried the first issue and it was really good. They don't shy away from the lead stars sexuality (*cough* Herc, *cough* Loki, *cough* Mystique); and it's a VERY user friendly issue for those who (like me) know NOTHING about Midnighter or about DC comics in general. I'd recommend it to everyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Yeah, I figured that you'd want to know if she wasn't brought back. If she had been, I wouldn't have said anything, so as not to spoil a pleasant surprise. But it's an unpleasant surprise, so I figured you'd want that spoiled.

It's actually a really weak final issue in general, though I never much cared for the series in the first place.
    I wasn't "as" disappointed with the final issue as I thought. YES Destiny didn't come back, but it was about Destiny SAVING Mystique's life and her universe. It was a pretty cool ending, a good twist, that still lives very much in the realm of them being the ultimate love for one-another.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisus View Post
    Q: Will there be much LGBT representation in the all-new Marvel universe?
    Breevort: Well, there won’t be any less, at least. Beyond that, wait and see!

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com...n-in-the#notes

So almost zero representation for another wave?
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! The fact he doesn't even get what a worthless answer that is... says it all. We wonder why we have no LGBT in the MCU. Why we have no LGBT leaders. Why we've never had a gay solo series or a lesbian solo series: that's your answer. The fact he thinks that answer is acceptable while Marvel pats themselves on the back over their push for diversity.... lol, simply awful.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    This why I say they need a divorce and Northstar/Bobby needs to happen.
    Kyle is an awful character.
    Nah, Kyle's not great, but he can easily be salvaged. Let's give one more writer a chance to redeem him before we pull the plug on the first Marvel gay marriage.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Loki's LGBTness has come up multiple times in the series, with him gender-swapping in two different stories (and being referred to by Odin as his "child who is both" rather than 'son' or 'daughter'). Iceman's outing got mainstream news coverage.
    Has it? When not lying, Odin said "my child who is both" and Loki only very recently was shown to change into a woman "just because." How many issues did it take for his LGBTness to be shown? And has his bisexuality been mentioned?

I would have liked to see the All New Ghost Rider being gay, with his cute little white hair flick. But alas, not to be, and even then I didnt need a hispanic gay guy. But it would have been nice.
    Oh, that would have been awesome. I hope Robbie makes it into the All New, All Different Avengers come reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    b) There aren't enough black men as there are, but seriously, is there another gay black man in the MU?
    Finch and Marcus are the only gay black males that spring to mind. Bling! is female, Prodigy is bi and Storm isn't out... yet

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Gillen didn't make them more interesting. They were far more interesting and likable under Heinberg's writing and better drawn under Cheung's art.
    #agreeTOdisagree

And no, it wouldn't be interesting for adult Bobby to come out as bi. The whole point is that Marvel's prominent LGBT characters are all bi and we haven't gotten a single gay or lesbian charater yet that they haven't just been able to dump into limbo after a few issues.
    This! SO happy Bendis outed him as gay, not bi. He could be our only genuine chance for a gay male solo series.

Changing the subject away from an argument had previously, a friend and I were discussing LGBT characters and the suggestion came up that Monica Rambeau would be a good candidate for a lesbian outing.

I checked in her appreciation thread and doing so wouldnt cause even a drop of the issues making Bobby gay will, so I'm very much in favour of the idea now.
    I don't think it would go down very well. Love the idea, but we'd get a lot of hate for it (no-one cared about Prodigy, and he gets outed suddenly everyone was a fan and furious ).
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

This weeks X-Position column has a LGBT question answered re. post SW X-Men. Plus another about Bobby.

Telling us just about nothing.

Except that Indra is clearly the answer.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

This weeks X-Position column has a LGBT question answered re. post SW X-Men. Plus another about Bobby.

You know it is.
    They need to make Anole/Indra a thing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Janet Van Dyne as bisexual. There's already evidence that she likes hitting on everybody, regardless of gender.
    Nah, Janice is like Dazzler she's uber gay-friendly, but not LGBT. We need allies too (like Rockslide and Kate Bishop).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    It should be a possibility - but only when there's another same-sex marriage that's also getting focus. Breaking up Marvel's only same-sex marriage so Northstar can immediately hook up with someone else sends the message that gay people are incapable of committing to long-term relationships. Straight couples break up, but there's always more of them. There's always plenty of them. Reed and Sue will pretty much always be around. Luke and Jessica will likely be around for a while. Peter was with MJ for over 20 years (real-time). Cannonball and Smasher might not do anything in ANAD Marvel, but it would be safe to assume they'd still be together, still raising their kid, at least until on-panel evidence shows otherwise. Medusa only dumped Black Bolts after they'd been married for decades. Nova just ended with Sam's parents reuniting from his father's "tour of duty."

Meanwhile, in terms of same-sex relationships currently appearing in comics, there's . . . none. Northstar and Kyle are the only married same-sex couple where one of the partners is a superhero. The only other ongoing same-sex couples are Wiccan/Hulkling and Julie/Karolina. Only one of those characters even existed prior to the year 2000, never mind how long their relationships have lasted. Julie and Karolina haven't even been seen since Avengers Academy ended.

There simply is not enough representation of LGBT couples, especially marriages, for breaking up Northstar and Kyle to be the right move at this time.
    100% QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!! It's like when Kirkman killed Freedom Ring; on the one hand you shouldn't give LGBT characters special treatment BUT on the other you have to be aware, because of small representation, that actions against "just one character" sends significant repercussions for LGBT representation.

"Frankly, with the SMALL amount of gay characters in comics in general, and how unfortunate the portrayals have been thus far, whether intentional or not—I completely understand the backlash on the death of Freedom Ring, regardless of my intentions. If I had it to do all over again... I wouldn't kill him. I regret it more and more as time goes on. I got rid of what?[sic] 20% of the gay characters at Marvel by killing off this ONE character. I just never took that stuff into consideration while I was writing." ~ ROBERT KIRKIMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Obviously I would have no problems with photon being a lesbian but I kind of feel like both she and phylla need to be developed a lot more and since they haven't done a whole lot recently with phylla I really don't think they would get monica's sexuality right
    Monica as a lesbian would be cool, I could 100% see that. Though (unlike Iceman) she doesn't have the personality of someone who would shy away from the truth... so maybe it wouldn't work.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-beyond-part-1
    Is there any post-"Secret Wars" spotlight in the works for the LGBT members of the X-Men's roster?
    KETCHUM: I'm so glad you asked this question! While we don't have a specific title that you could point to and say, "That's the LGBT book," we do have plans to tell those stories in upcoming ongoing series. Brian Bendis is doing some exciting things with Iceman at the moment, and we've made it a point to continue unfolding that story post "Secret Wars."

Also, all of the usual spotlighting of LGBT characters will continue to happen in my office during lunch hour. Stop by anytime and we'll talk about whether you're shipping Anole with Graymalkin or with Indra.

Great to see that Iceman has finally come out. I always thought he was in the closet. How was that decision reached and what should we expect going forward? Will this be continued after Bendis' run. It just won't be believable if adult Iceman comes to terms with his sexuality in one issue. Doesn't work that way. It's a process.
    JAROWEY: The decision was pretty simple. Brian had a story to tell and we thought it was a great story that deserved to be told. Regarding "post-Bendis," this is who Bobby is. This is not us retconning Bobby to be gay. Bobby is gay and has always been gay. We are merely watching the younger Bobby come to terms with it. He is beginning to accept who he is. As you said, it's a process. Regardless of sexuality, we all, as human beings, must go through the process of accepting who we are and learning to love ourselves. Regarding the adult Iceman, all I can say is keep reading. "Uncanny X-Men" #600 is still to come.

You know it is.
    They need to make Anole/Indra a thing soon.
    #sooooooTRUE

Don't worry, Jonas.
    I still love you, you weirdo raccoon gargoyle boy, you.

Your gray, leathery ass deserves better than that scaley green grindr lovin' tart with his hipster fetish.
    It was never meant to be betwixt you two anyhow.
    You, with crafting of poetry on damp, dank, cave walls and he with the sunbathing on rocks in the desert.

Perhaps you and lil' Bobby will have a bright -- but not too bright cuz you dig the dark and all -- future.

How significant will Wanda's role be in "House of M"? Will the dynamic between Wanda and Pietro be further explored?

Katie Kubert: As in the original "House of M" series, Wanda's role as all around badass, as well as the daughter of King Magnus, sister to Lorna and Pietro, and mother to twins Wiccan and Speed, is essential to our "Secret Wars" story. Her feelings on her father's rule, as well as her relationship with her brother, play a significant role when deciding whose side to take in the fight to conquer the Monarchy of M domain. She's a major player!
    From X-Position Part 2.

They actually refer to the twins as "Wiccan and Speed", not Billy and Tommy (or William and Thomas), so maybe they will be somewhat older than they were in the original HoM, closer to their current portrayals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Nah, Janice is like Dazzler she's uber gay-friendly, but not LGBT. We need allies too (like Rockslide and Kate Bishop).

(For context)

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I know this isn't a DC thread, but since Marvel won't give us a gay male solo on-going, how many here are reading Midnighter for DC? I tried the first issue and it was really good. They don't shy away from the lead stars sexuality (*cough* Herc, *cough* Loki, *cough* Mystique); and it's a VERY user friendly issue for those who (like me) know NOTHING about Midnighter or about DC comics in general. I'd recommend it to everyone interested.
    You should read mangas. They've been having gay ongoings since the 70s. Kinda ironic that Japan, known for its conservatism, has the most progressive comics industry but that's how it is.

Yeah they don't tend to represent gay relationships ending happily though. They tend to be a "forbidden love affair" for as long as the story lasts and then assumably they drift apart

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Yeah they don't tend to represent gay relationships ending happily though. They tend to be a "forbidden love affair" for as long as the story lasts and then assumably they drift apart
    That.... not really. Not unless you're reading something from forty years ago, when the world was gripped in a wave of "lesbians fall in love near a school and someone dies."
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You should read mangas. They've been having gay ongoings since the 70s. Kinda ironic that Japan, known for its conservatism, has the most progressive comics industry but that's how it is.
    Japan had a shorter window of legal and established anti-homosexuality, so dramatic gestures or presences like Yukio Mishima and the mid-70s rise of serious investment in gender and sexual exploration in comics by women (and some men) on a very pop level made a kind of headway that an English-dominant society probably couldn't at the same time.

That.... not really. Not unless you're reading something from forty years ago, when the world was gripped in a wave of "lesbians fall in love near a school and someone dies."

(Fake, Hero Heel, Sailor Moon, Plica, A, A', even Ghost in the Shell have queer relationships that aren't forbidden and don't drift apart or feature characters suddenly becoming not lgbt. Just off the top of my head.)
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 06-11-2015 at 03:18 AM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Don't worry, Jonas.
    I still love you, you weirdo raccoon gargoyle boy, you.

Your gray, leathery ass deserves better than that scaley green grindr lovin' tart with his hipster fetish.
    It was never meant to be betwixt you two anyhow.
    You, with crafting of poetry on damp, dank, cave walls and he with the sunbathing on rocks in the desert.

Perhaps you and lil' Bobby will have a bright -- but not too bright cuz you dig the dark and all -- future.

ADORABLE post!

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    From X-Position Part 2.

They actually refer to the twins as "Wiccan and Speed", not Billy and Tommy (or William and Thomas), so maybe they will be somewhat older than they were in the original HoM, closer to their current portrayals.
    SQUEAL!!! House of M Wiccan, hell yessssss please!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Not a fan of manga, I'm afraid. Besides I don't WANT to have to go elsewhere to read a gay on-going; I'm only trying DC's Midnighter because I really have no option (but it's still in the superhero world). I've been reading the Wicked + the Divine too; for the same reason (plus after Young Avengers I LOVE the combo of Gillen/McKelvie). Why can't Marvel stop living in the past and actually live up to the label "push for diversity" they're throwing around and patting themselves on the back with? It's 2015; the lack of ever having a gay or lesbian on-going is just embarrassing.