View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 432 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 332382422428429430431432433434435436442482532932 ... LastLast
Results 6,466 to 6,480 of 16972
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    I'm not sure that I agree that Iceman isn't instantly recognizable, but certainly not as recognizable as Superman. Otherwise this article was on point. Kudos, Brett.

He's very very right in saying that characters like Northstar, Mystique, Ms America, and especially Iceman need to be given a shot at a solo title - Hercules was just deouted recently and his newest solo canceled, so they're going to be gunshy to do anything with him. But this needs to happen. Desperately. Desperately.

When I was a child I thought that something was wrong with me. My only exposure to gay culture had been my grandfather, a gay man who was just overall a vile person. I thought that if I accepted who I was that I would become a bad person. I knew that I was queer by the time that I was thirteen, but I wasn't ready to accept it. It wouldn't have taken me six more years, having to help someone else out of the closet, and a discussion with my best friend (Gifted) to realize who I was and that it was okay, it was more than okay, it was perfect, it was familiar, it was... comfortable, if there had been someone in comics that I could have related to throughout most of my teenage years. I started reading comics when I was fourteen. I needed someone like that.

I'm sure there are so many other boys like I was that need that too.
    Thank you for sharing your story here Endsong, I'm glad you were able to accept who you are. And it's so true that we need LGBT superhero role models, ones who are visible and well-known. Hopefully people at both Marvel and DC will read Brett's article and take it's message to heart.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Thank you for sharing your story here Endsong, I'm glad you were able to accept who you are. And it's so true that we need LGBT superhero role models, ones who are visible and well-known. Hopefully people at both Marvel and DC will read Brett's article and take it's message to heart.
    Dude, I'm an open book!

And yeah, hopefully they will. I'm not going to hold my breath but I really, really hope that Marvel Now! 2.0 brings about some decent changes, and that Dennis Hopeless and Jeff Lemire both spend more time focusing on Iceman, that Cullen Bunn focuses more on Psylocke and Mystique, etc.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Marvel absolutely needs to announce solo titles for Iceman and for Miss America. Iceman is, at present, their biggest openly gay character. He's a character who does have a dedicated fanbase, and there's definite potential there. Get a talented writer - preferably a queer writer - and put maybe Valerio Schiti on art, because Schiti is legitimately one of the best in the business at visual comedy, and an Iceman solo should be funny. (Seriously, look at this page. It is funny. Schiti's also fantastic at quietly emotional moments, and at big action scenes, and at everything else. He's one of the best comic artists period, and I mean of all time. But what matters, for an Iceman book, is having an artist who knows how to bring the funny.)

And Miss America, yeah, I won't stop demanding that until Marvel actually does it. Jeremy Whitley or Marguerite Bennett as writer. I'm a lot more open on artist. I mean, in an ideal world, it would be Sophie Campbell, because why would it not. Jen Bartel would be another awesome choice. Natacha Bustos would be fantastic, though I'd rather not take her away from Moon Girl, and I'm hoping Moon Girl lasts a long time. Felipe Smith would be a great option. So, yeah, Felipe Smith for Miss America artist, if Sophie Campbell or Jen Bartel aren't options.

And you know what? I've been reserving my first-ever fan letter for Emma Rios doing another Cloak & Dagger series, but I'm actually going to change that. If Marvel puts out a Miss America solo title, with a creative team that interests me, I will write my first-ever fan letter. I will commit to that now, I will make that promise. The ball's in your court now, Marvel! I know no one at Marvel will ever see this, but still! If Marvel does a Miss America solo with a good creative team, I will write the first fan letter I have ever written! Make it happen, Marvel! Make history happen.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Dude, I'm an open book!

And yeah, hopefully they will. I'm not going to hold my breath but I really, really hope that Marvel Now! 2.0 brings about some decent changes, and that Dennis Hopeless and Jeff Lemire both spend more time focusing on Iceman, that Cullen Bunn focuses more on Psylocke and Mystique, etc.
    Nice. I guess I've been sort of taking the open book approach lately too, admitting that I'm a virgin who's only friends are you guys on here.

And yeah, I'm not holding my breath either. But still I want to hope that good things are on the horizon for LGBT characters at Marvel and DC.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Marvel absolutely needs to announce solo titles for Iceman and for Miss America. Iceman is, at present, their biggest openly gay character. He's a character who does have a dedicated fanbase, and there's definite potential there. Get a talented writer - preferably a queer writer - and put maybe Valerio Schiti on art, because Schiti is legitimately one of the best in the business at visual comedy, and an Iceman solo should be funny. (Seriously, look at this page. It is funny. Schiti's also fantastic at quietly emotional moments, and at big action scenes, and at everything else. He's one of the best comic artists period, and I mean of all time. But what matters, for an Iceman book, is having an artist who knows how to bring the funny.)

And Miss America, yeah, I won't stop demanding that until Marvel actually does it. Jeremy Whitley or Marguerite Bennett as writer. I'm a lot more open on artist. I mean, in an ideal world, it would be Sophie Campbell, because why would it not. Jen Bartel would be another awesome choice. Natacha Bustos would be fantastic, though I'd rather not take her away from Moon Girl, and I'm hoping Moon Girl lasts a long time. Felipe Smith would be a great option. So, yeah, Felipe Smith for Miss America artist, if Sophie Campbell or Jen Bartel aren't options.

And you know what? I've been reserving my first-ever fan letter for Emma Rios doing another Cloak & Dagger series, but I'm actually going to change that. If Marvel puts out a Miss America solo title, with a creative team that interests me, I will write my first-ever fan letter. I will commit to that now, I will make that promise. The ball's in your court now, Marvel! I know no one at Marvel will ever see this, but still! If Marvel does a Miss America solo with a good creative team, I will write the first fan letter I have ever written! Make it happen, Marvel! Make history happen.
    I'm still holding onto those rumors that Kieron Gillen would be writing a Miss America title from a while back, now more than ever with Darth Vader ending and Marvel promising that he's working on something else for them.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Thanks for sharing your story Endsong!

Oh and I hope the new ubertwink Union Jack makes it to the comics!

Meanwhile I don't know any of you but Birthday wishes to everyone celebrating this week:

I'm still holding onto those rumors that Kieron Gillen would be writing a Miss America title from a while back, now more than ever with Darth Vader ending and Marvel promising that he's working on something else for them.
    I suspect Gillen's probably done with work-for-hire superheroes for a while. So I don't think he'd be interested in a Miss America title right now. Bennett and Whitley have both expressed an interest in writing the character. Bennett certainly loves writing queer comics and characters, and Whitley's also strongly invested in that, and with racial diversity. So, yeah, if I were Marvel, I would absolutely be approaching those two and asking them for pitches for a Miss America solo.

Kate Leth would be another good one, I think, and the fact that she had America cameo in an issue of Hellcat suggests she likes the character. And I've never read any of her work, but I suspect Magdalene Visaggio would probably rock a Miss America solo.

I mean, obviously, I'd be totally OK with Gillen writing a Miss America solo, as well. I'm an unapologetic Gillen fanboy. I would read the crap out of it. But Bennett, Whitley, Visaggio or Leth would probably be my choices ahead of him, especially since I suspect it's not something he's interested in right now.

One reader's take on MAC...

It always bugs me that Marvel has a character like that, and is not taking a crack at something along the line of what Morrison did when writing Doom Patrol.

While I know that sort of approach is no longer the ground breaker that it was, it seems like the possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Wow, just WOW, and i thought that saying that the shooting happened because the guy apparently was fan of the shooting games was the most stupid thing anyone could say about this.
    Yes. I think some of the hetero bloggers are having a competition to see who can say the dumbest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    What a dipshit. Hugs and kudos to you for getting that trash taken down.

From UXM #392:

A very good scene!
    Thank you. That actually means a lot. Even finding the picture means a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post

Looks like the Avengers Academy game just got their first openly LGBT character. I'd say there's hope for Teddy, Billy, and MAC to show up in this thing after all.
    He's cute too which is a plus. I wonder when we'll see him in a movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    See this is exactly why I LOVE doing things like this, I've never seen that moment. And it makes me so happy.

P.S. thoughts on the white hair? I quite like it (but I liked the elf ears too, lol!)

Northstar really should get a solo series, he'd be so BOSS if a writer just devoted time to him; as a adversary he's bloody dangerous (and his attitude would make him fun to read, everyone loves a bad boy). I really loved how Kyle&Yost wrote him in Amazing X-men. Hope he gets a solo soon. The first gay solo series, it would be monumental.

I love the white hair! Not a fan of the pixie ears though

WOW! This is really cool, I knew a Union Jack was gay, and assumed they just used the oldest one. To actually, specifically got for the gay one is super cool. Awwwww! And I think/hope this is because of the campaign after the "love stories" came out, and there were no LGBT options. Fingers crossed Union Jack and Loki can date! This just goes to show, sometimes on-line attention can help.

Agreed. Might mean we could get Wiccan in more and more games. SQUEAL!!!!
    Oh my gosh that would be amazing. Especially as mentioned before if we see more über twink Union Jack.

Also it is his birthday, I confirmed it with him via private message. Everybody wish him a happy birthday!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately a lot of gay pride events are going to be on high alert for the foreseeable future.
    It's essential that if we can we still go to them though. The terrorist wanted us isolated and frightened. Don't let him win.

Read this great article by Brett White on the current state of LGBT characters at Marvel and DC.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-your-face-jam
    I haven't read the whole article yet but it looks quite good from the quick glance I had of it before

THE ARTICLE: It took a long time, but with enough voices and campaigning and the right champions leading the charge, we and Marvel have made some truly tremendous strides and progress into further expanding and fore-fronting cultural diversity. I remain confident that these waves will reach tidal level in the years to come and look forward to being a part of that splash. The success -- though gradual and perhaps not as fast as many would prefer -- is undeniable. Like most good things in life -- it requires time, patience and vigilance. Its so admirable seeing articles like this and voices like our own being broadcast on these platforms. It is unfortunate that tragedies seem to be the most common stepping stone to achieve these progressions in elevating and expanding the exposure we all hope for. With that said, I cling to hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that as we hold hands (figuratively and literally) during these painful times, we continue to do so as we improve the world we live in -- as well as reflect that in the fictional one we take respite and comfort in.

ENDSONG: Thanks for sharing man. I think its important to familiarize ourselves with the respective journeys our community members have been through -- both to find solidarity and also to be reminded that our paths can be very different.
    I was in the 3rd grade, the first time someone called me "faggot". I was at a friend's house and we were sifting through my Marvel super hero trading cards, picking out which hero we'd each pretend to be for our game. Who didn't do that when they were a kid? Well he chose Australian Outback Wolverine and I chose Excalibur's Shadowcat. He told me I was a faggot for wanting to play the girl. I wasn't invited back after that day. When I was 12, I wrote my feelings and concerns about who I was in a notebook. A family member found that notebook and told my parents that I had tried to molest him. I was put in counseling to discern why I had done what he'd said I'd done. When I was 16 I started working as a server at a Maltshop a few blocks from my house. I wound up working there for 10+ years. When I came out, my senior year of high school, the owner regularly defamed me to the other employees behind my back. He once told the cooks that I shared the life expectancy of a hot fudge sundae and that people like me are ruining this country.
    That's just a sampling of the ridiculous vitriol I've experienced in my life, and I'm glad to say I've been spared any physical violence -- as I know others haven't been as fortunate. But I thrive and smile and enjoy my life as much as I can. I'm married, have a beautiful home and a second family to loves me, and I find myself weirdly greatful for CBR (most days haha) -- not just for this thread but for the opportunity to interact with so many people -- like minded, and otherwise.
    I consider myself a pretty upbeat person, and continually strive to remain as such because I think that's one of the strongest victories we can have in the face of adversity. Not allowing it to kill our spirit or our capacity to love. In fact, I believe these experiences have only strengthened my resolve for compassion and the acceptance of differences in life.
    I'd like to extend an appreciation for anyone else who would be bold enough to share about their life -- the light or the dark. We are all of us unique and exceptional and should regard each other as such.

AMERICA CHAVEZ etc: May I humbly throw in Felipe Andrade in the make-believe-hat of potential artist candidates. haha. I thoroughly enjoyed Felipe's kinetic style during his Captain Marvel issues back when DeConnick was on writing. And lastly -- and this is a serious pipe dream, since I know he's tremendously happy over on Thor -- the incomparable Russell Dauterman. Everything this man touches sends me to Valhala and back. Additionally, he is fan of the character -- and out and proud gay man -- and just a sensational person in general that I've had the pleasure of corresponding with from time to time.
    I fully support Valerio on pretty much anything -- but I certainly share the belief that his gift for conveying the broad spectrum of human emotion in his work would certainly benefit a character prone to sarcasm and emotional exploration like Bobby Drake.

Thank you everyone for sharing! It is always interesting/inspiring to hear what others have gone through and who they have become from it.

I guess I have to count my lucky stars, since I fortunately never had to experience any truly negative consequences/responses to my sexuality. At least not to my face.

The only thing that really sticks out is when I was turned away from the blood blank about 2 years ago. I was furious that day!

Overall though, I have been pretty sheltered from the hate.

In terms of a LGBT solo series from Marvel, I would have to give my vote to Northstar. He would definitely need revamped in a sense though. He has had the same look since his inception.

While I know Iceman would probably be a more popular choice, he still seems so stale. He needs more focus in EXM, & I am not sure Lemire is the one to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post

While I know Iceman would probably be a more popular choice, he still seems so stale. He needs more focus in EXM, & I am not sure Lemire is the one to do it.
    The more I muse about him, the more I think he'd make a solid choice.
    Initially, I had the absurd thought of "Well, super speed is probably a more challenging power set to explore for a solo character" but then, HELLO, I'm reminded of the Flash. That guy has had solo action for ages. Additionally, its not the only super aspect of his skill set. He's got that fancy photokinesis, accelerated metabolism, and flight.
    The man has enough edge to his personality as well. He's got that quasi-anti-hero vibe to him since he can be an arrogant hot head. His patience shifts from stalwart to nonexistent depending on the situation. He's a dick. He's charming. He's self absorbed. He's violently loyal. He's got so many qualities to him that already thrive within other solo title'd heroes. And that's just the beginning to him, you know? He's also intrinsically tied to so many areas of the Marvel Universe that would make for such a rich and reader-enticing support/guest cast. Dazzler and the A-Force. Alpha Flight -- both old and new-- with former teammates among its crew alongside Carol Danvers. The entire X-Line. Hell, I imagine he'd provide a sensational and unique voice among interacting with the Inhuman titles. Under the right writer, we could finally fully address his ties to the on again off again Greek hunk, Hercules.
    Someone posted it earlier but that book signing scene from yesteryear is a favorite of mine I'd long forgotten -- so thanks for that.

As for art duties -- I'd strongly insist that we'd need someone who isn't going to shy away from the sexual appeal that a character like Jean Paul would benefit from displaying and exploring. Once again, my pipe dream choices would include Clay Mann, Stjepan Sejic, or Olivier Coipel -- but those are pretty big names. Of course Marquez would slay a book like this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    The more I muse about him, the more I think he'd make a solid choice.
    Initially, I had the absurd thought of "Well, super speed is probably a more challenging power set to explore for a solo character" but then, HELLO, I'm reminded of the Flash. That guy has had solo action for ages. Additionally, its not the only super aspect of his skill set. He's got that fancy photokinesis, accelerated metabolism, and flight.
    Depending on how much (relatively) recent history the writer wants to incorporate, Northstar also got a measure of super-strength and his photokinesis comes with some concussive side effects. He's also had a minor healing factor since the 90's (a result of his quick metabolism); it's far shy of Wolverine level, but it means he's not going to drop easily.

Really, in a lot of ways, Northstar's powers lend him better to a solo than a team book. There's a tendency for writers to either disable him early on or nerf his powers in a brawl because otherwise you have a situation where the speedster could end the fight on his own. That doesn't crop up in a solo.

The man has enough edge to his personality as well. He's got that quasi-anti-hero vibe to him since he can be an arrogant hot head. His patience shifts from stalwart to nonexistent depending on the situation. He's a dick. He's charming. He's self absorbed. He's violently loyal. He's got so many qualities to him that already thrive within other solo title'd heroes. And that's just the beginning to him, you know? He's also intrinsically tied to so many areas of the Marvel Universe that would make for such a rich and reader-enticing support/guest cast. Dazzler and the A-Force. Alpha Flight -- both old and new-- with former teammates among its crew alongside Carol Danvers. The entire X-Line. Hell, I imagine he'd provide a sensational and unique voice among interacting with the Inhuman titles. Under the right writer, we could finally fully address his ties to the on again off again Greek hunk, Hercules.
    Someone posted it earlier but that book signing scene from yesteryear is a favorite of mine I'd long forgotten -- so thanks for that.
    Always happy to spread the good word about my favorite speedster. And in addition to everything else you've listed, Northstar also has ties to the Avengers (through Marrina and Namor from way back when and now via Rogue) and Asgard (through the unpleasantness with Loki). These aren't entirely positive associations -- ESPECIALLY ASGARD! -- but friction makes for good story hooks. God forbid, he could even get dragged into the new Weirdworld nonsense via the association with Crystar's crew.

As for art duties -- I'd strongly insist that we'd need someone who isn't going to shy away from the sexual appeal that a character like Jean Paul would benefit from displaying and exploring. Once again, my pipe dream choices would include Clay Mann, Stjepan Sejic, or Olivier Coipel -- but those are pretty big names. Of course Marquez would slay a book like this as well.
    I wouldn't be unhappy to see Dave Baldeon drawing Northstar again. Paco Medina, Roger Cruz, and Jorge Jiménez would also be on my short list. And in my dream world, we'd get noted Alpha Flight fan, LGBT artist, and all around cutie Phil Jimenez on art.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 06-16-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucena Soares View Post
    First issue of Vote Loki and they were already shown to be gender-fluid.
    Hellcat continues to be hella cute.
    Captain Jovana celebrity crush and password to "we are safe" is She-Hulk in ANI (she's the only LGBT member of the cast and Asmus pet-character).
    X-Man Civil War, they speak.
    Ant-Man: Giant-Man is too pure to walk with this crowd; "Woo-Hoo! I am criminal mastermind!" - Machinesmith, 2016.
    Thanks for the answer, Lucena! I'm not a politics person, but I like Loki enough and if they're showing sexual diversity in Vote Loki, I'll definitely be supporting it. Hellcat is always hella cute; I'm glad her book is doing well. Yay! I love the Captain! And I love She-Hulk, so that's such a cute touch <3. Yay! I love the new Giant-Man; I really, really, really want him to become a major player.

Unfortunately a lot of gay pride events are going to be on high alert for the foreseeable future.

I don't think there's any big news for LGBT characters right now. Iceman didn't do very much in the Civil War tie-in, I think he has just one line. The UXM issue was awesome though.
    Yeah, I know, it sucks. I hope everyone celebrates to be proud of who they are, but please celebrate safely.

Awe, Endsong. You the bestest. I'm glad you, and many other people here, are able to share their stories with confidence. It makes me happy that we have a strong LGBT community here, especially for the people who don't have one where they live. It's so good to be able to communicate culture here. Growing up, I guess I was "straight-acting" and didn't really know I was gay until a few years ago-- so I was rarely picked on and never felt marginalized in my life. So, this Orlando incident and the idea that "San Diego is next" really is the first time I feel threatened for being who I am. I just sat and cried for a few the other day and it didn't feel good.

But everytime I'm here to speak to all of you, I do feel good. Thank you, everyone.

As for a solo title, I really support Northstar in a Marjorie Liu Astonishing X-Men sort of tone, but a solo instead. I WOULD LOVE A UNION JACK BOOK. Please, please, please bring him to relevance again. Gay British cutie. I'm really surprised there isn't a MAC solo already??? Iceman deserves a solo. I don't think he has enough to hold his own (at least with an audience), but a solo would definitely help him build that rich history. If Nightcrawler could do it, Iceman could definitely do it.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Now I want this Union Jack guy to come back and bang Loki forever. Marvel pls.
    Well, with everyone telling their stories and everything... I don't have much to tell. To be honest, I'm still on my teens and closeted. I think my mom would surely be acceptive, but I don't know about my dad. We're just not so close, we kinda never really had a relationship... And I think Brazil has an even more homophobic culture than some countries...