View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 433 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 333383423429430431432433434435436437443483533933 ... LastLast
Results 6,481 to 6,495 of 16973

Brett White's article was beautiful and much needed. LGBT representation matters in a world where homophobia exists. I've been so angry these past few days. Things need to change and if people don't see that then they are a part of the problem. It's also important to note that we are a diverse community with different experiences and narratives; it's important for that to be reflected and that'll never be achieved with like 1 or 2 characters. We also need to empathize with each other, even if we are different, we are all oppressed for the same reason; not conforming to gender roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ohhhhh yum yummy!!! What's your favourite food, and is that what you're getting?
    Omfg, there's no way in hell I could pick one favourite food (I'm a massive foody!) but I got treated to both lunch and dinner so I'm a happy hog ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    Happy birthday!!!! I'll drink for you tonight. I'm going out to celebrate a new job as well!

Ugh. I'd rather not talking about anything negative here. But did y'all hear about the Craigslist ad? Threatening that San Diego is next, and Pride here is in a month...

Whatever.

Have a good birthday!
    Thanks friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    I'm not sure that I agree that Iceman isn't instantly recognizable, but certainly not as recognizable as Superman. Otherwise this article was on point. Kudos, Brett.

He's very very right in saying that characters like Northstar, Mystique, Ms America, and especially Iceman need to be given a shot at a solo title - Hercules was just deouted recently and his newest solo canceled, so they're going to be gunshy to do anything with him. But this needs to happen. Desperately. Desperately.

When I was a child I thought that something was wrong with me. My only exposure to gay culture had been my grandfather, a gay man who was just overall a vile person. I thought that if I accepted who I was that I would become a bad person. I knew that I was queer by the time that I was thirteen, but I wasn't ready to accept it. It wouldn't have taken me six more years, having to help someone else out of the closet, and a discussion with my best friend (Gifted) to realize who I was and that it was okay, it was more than okay, it was perfect, it was familiar, it was... comfortable, if there had been someone in comics that I could have related to throughout most of my teenage years. I started reading comics when I was fourteen. I needed someone like that.

I'm sure there are so many other boys like I was that need that too.
    Wow. Thank you for sharing that Endsong. You are not alone. And you too, Fokken.

Being gay was never something I ever that was even an option. I was taught that it was a sickness. A perversion. My family is Indian and let me just say, gay is not okay in our culture, reputation, marriage and family are of upmost importance. I was always different. Never really fit in at school. Kids can sense when someone is "different" and they can often be cruel. I got bullied and called "gay" and "faggot" before I even knew I was gay. That coupled with my family's toxic views on the issue made it so I denied that aspect of myself for years. I was lonely. I chased women. I always felt incomplete. It wasn't until my early twenties when I met another gay man that everything changed. I fell for him, and it was a very different, more intense feeling than I had felt for the women in my life previously. At that point I knew I wasn't straight, everything began to make sense and I was able to (to some extent..) accept a part of myself that I had denied and repressed for years.

But, I still can't be who I am openly. If my family found out...I'd be beaten and disowned. Or worse.

Living in an environment like that is toxic and I suffered and still suffer a lot. There are times where I still feel like I'm doing something wrong even though I know I'm not. It's just an innate sense of internalized homophobia that's been conditioned and reinforced over the years. And I know I'm not alone. Millions of us still suffer. This is why representation matters. In a context where kids grow up and still grow up feeling that way, it matters. That can make a world of difference to them and the world around them. Lots of people take that for granted, but it's important and it's why I've become so outspoken around here. No one has the right to define what that means to us, but us and we have to keep pushing for our voices to be heard, because if we don't then nothing will change. Northstar's story matters. Iceman's story matters. Catwoman's bisexuality matters. Hulking and Wiccan's relationship matters. Those stories and more need more visibility.
    Last edited by Wiccan615; 06-16-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

I did LA Pride this past weekend and I'm excited to go to Chicago Pride, where I'm from, at the end of the month!
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I did LA Pride this past weekend and I'm excited to go to Chicago Pride, where I'm from, at the end of the month!
    Oh, you're going to be practically next door, then. (I'm in WI.) Hope you have a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Oh, you're going to be practically next door, then. (I'm in WI.) Hope you have a good one!
    Midwest queers! <3
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

Hopefully, you guys are having a good time! This is my first Pride being 21, so you know I will! Haha.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    Hopefully, you guys are having a good time! This is my first Pride being 21, so you know I will! Haha.
    That'll be a blast. You should have to LA if you are in San Diego. Not sure when Pride in San Diego is, but be careful; did you hear about that awful Craigslist post from SD?

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Now I want this Union Jack guy to come back and bang Loki forever. Marvel pls.
    Well, with everyone telling their stories and everything... I don't have much to tell. To be honest, I'm still on my teens and closeted. I think my mom would surely be acceptive, but I don't know about my dad. We're just not so close, we kinda never really had a relationship... And I think Brazil has an even more homophobic culture than some countries...
    Union Jack and Loki would be pretty hot, ngl.

I am also in a similar situation to you. A closeted teen. None of my family knows and only my best friend knows about my sexuality. I know my mother would be fine with it- in fact she'd be happy if I were gay- but I'm not so sure about my father. Unlike you however, I live in England, which in general is very accepting, so I guess I don't really have much of an excuse not to come out; I guess i'm just afraid.

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Hey all

First off... just wanted to share that I had a great time last weekend- saw Florence + The Machine as well as Of Monsters and Men with the guy I've been seeing... AND, we decided to become official as boyfriends.

Also... I read this article http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-your-face-jam and in it, they suggest Marvel comics having Jubilee be asexual...
    What are your guys' thoughts on this? Obviously as a gay man, I have no issue... but as a Jubilee fan... I'm trying to figure if there is any evidence towards this. I know she was bi/lesbian in the Runaways during Secret Wars. I also know that as a vampire, she would have bisexual tendencies (however, she did politely turn down Bling! when the latter tried kissing her.) Before becoming a vampire, however, Jubilee was shown crushing on Robin (DC comics,) Synch, a limo driver in Generation X, Shane Shooter and a human guy from her highschool (Jubilee miniseries,) befriending Rockslide (Wolverine and Jubilee,) and Night Thrasher (New Warriors.) She also admitted to feeling remorse that she and Skin never were able to be intimate and experience being a couple before he passed away.

With that being said, I guess the 616 Jubilee has shown to be more on the straight side of things (although has never really shown to be in a relationship, which is all good,) whereas her other counterparts have been more flexible (which is good, too.) Any thoughts either way on this, or do you feel the author was just naming her as a suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by cheesebiggins View Post

I am also in a similar situation to you. A closeted teen. None of my family knows and only my best friend knows about my sexuality. I know my mother would be fine with it- in fact she'd be happy if I were gay- but I'm not so sure about my father. Unlike you however, I live in England, which in general is very accepting, so I guess I don't really have much of an excuse not to come out; I guess i'm just afraid.
    Thanks for sharing come out when YOU feel comfortable, not because you feel pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    Hey all

First off... just wanted to share that I had a great time last weekend- saw Florence + The Machine as well as Of Monsters and Men with the guy I've been seeing... AND, we decided to become official as boyfriends.

Also... I read this article http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-your-face-jam and in it, they suggest Marvel comics having Jubilee be asexual...
    What are your guys' thoughts on this? Obviously as a gay man, I have no issue... but as a Jubilee fan... I'm trying to figure if there is any evidence towards this. I know she was bi/lesbian in the Runaways during Secret Wars. I also know that as a vampire, she would have bisexual tendencies (however, she did politely turn down Bling! when the latter tried kissing her.) Before becoming a vampire, however, Jubilee was shown crushing on Robin (DC comics,) Synch, a limo driver in Generation X, Shane Shooter and a human guy from her highschool (Jubilee miniseries,) befriending Rockslide (Wolverine and Jubilee,) and Night Thrasher (New Warriors.) She also admitted to feeling remorse that she and Skin never were able to be intimate and experience being a couple before he passed away.

With that being said, I guess the 616 Jubilee has shown to be more on the straight side of things (although has never really shown to be in a relationship, which is all good,) whereas her other counterparts have been more flexible (which is good, too.) Any thoughts either way on this, or do you feel the author was just naming her as a suggestion?
    Hello!

I don't care, I've made my sentiments on sexuality retcons in the past clear, as long as the story is good, it's fine with me. Jubilee can be everything she was and asexual imo.
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

I wouldn't have any issue with Jubes being asexual and biromantic or something like that. TBH, Jubilee being some flavor of ace would be far, far less "eh, what?" to me than her being a vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    Hey all

I think it was just a thought because relationships were never much of her character. He should probably had named Illyana who is often mentioned as a possible asexual character. I would like Jubilee as bi.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesebiggins View Post

It's nice(or not!) to know there's more comic fans here on the same situation. I think I'm mostly just afraid like you =X

Supernatural Inhuman! Lucena Soares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Now I want this Union Jack guy to come back and bang Loki forever. Marvel pls.
    Well, with everyone telling their stories and everything... I don't have much to tell. To be honest, I'm still on my teens and closeted. I think my mom would surely be acceptive, but I don't know about my dad. We're just not so close, we kinda never really had a relationship... And I think Brazil has an even more homophobic culture than some countries...
    Yeah, sometimes it feel like here in Brazil you can't watch 5 minutes of tv without a LGBT-phobic joke showing up. The ones that known i am gay are: Sister (thank god for her supporting & empathic self), best friend who moved cities, my parents (who when i came out were all "what did we do wrong?" "how come you changed so much" "we aren't against it, we just would never wish it on anybody" "you are too young to know these things, you never even kissed a girl!" and finally "we can never forget what you said today, but let's pretend it didn't happen").
    There's also this gay guy in who has classes with me in the very small city i moved to for college. He was my first kiss EVER, but it was so awkward and i got soo anxious (i have a problem with panic attacks) so i said to him i wasn't ready for anything at all and asked to be just friends.
    Everything Lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucena Soares View Post
    Yeah, sometimes it feel like here in Brazil you can't watch 5 minutes of tv without a LGBT-phobic joke showing up. The ones that known i am gay are: Sister (thank god for her supporting & empathic self), best friend who moved cities, my parents (who when i came out were all "what did we do wrong?" "how come you changed so much" "we aren't against it, we just would never wish it on anybody" "you are too young to know these things, you never even kissed a girl!" and finally "we can never forget what you said today, but let's pretend it didn't happen").
    There's also this gay guy in who has classes with me in the very small city i moved to for college. He was my first kiss EVER, but it was so awkward and i got soo anxious (i have a problem with panic attacks) so i said to him i wasn't ready for anything at all and asked to be just friends.
    The worst part is that people think it's ok. That they're not serious, that they're not hurting anyone, it's just "humour". I won't even get started on how homophobic slurs are insanely "normal" and people do all the time without even REALLY realizing what that is. I think that more than anything, we're surrounded by hypocrisy. Something both interesting and sad it's how Ellen Page showed that on her Gaycation series. I think everyone here should check.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

You guys are literally the best, I hope you know that.

As for Jubilee I'd be fine with her being Ace but before anything like that is done she needs to actually be given some attention, and the current X-Writers don't seem to be all that interested in that.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Hi guys, I wanted to show you what I look like so I had my sister take a quick picture of me with her phone. I've never shown anyone on the internet what I look like before but I figured since we're all pouring our hearts out and sharing our stories here I'd show you what I look like. Sorry if it's a bit self-indulgent. The picture's a bit blurry and the purple on my shirt appears blue, it's my favourite shirt.

Me.jpg