View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 444 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 344394434440441442443444445446447448454494544944 ... LastLast
Results 6,646 to 6,660 of 16975

Damn!
    You guys are getting me more and more POd that I couldn't get Union Jack.

Okay, LOVING Union Jack. Can anyone recommend any comics where he's awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Damn!
    You guys are getting me more and more POd that I couldn't get Union Jack.
    If you start it now, does it begin at the start of the British Invasion quest???
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by kieran_frost View Post
    okay, loving union jack. Can anyone recommend any comics where he's awesome?

if you start it now, does it begin at the start of the british invasion quest???
    mi-13

New Invaders

That said, I'm pretty sure you know that there's been more than one Union Jack. No?

Incredible Member

There have been 3 union jack's.....

The first two (the union jack's of world war 1 &2) appeared in the invaders. Brian falsworth the 40's union jack was retroactivly made gay in a citizen v mini (the boyfriend of the mighty destroyer.)

The third and modern union jack, Joe Chapman, has has two mini series. But, for my money the best place to see him is in the original series of marvel UK's knights of pendragon. (The original series is very vertigoesque. And has cool cult vibe, rather like across between highlander and the x-files)

I'm only really interested in Brian Falsworth (hence posting on the LGBT thread ). Is Citizen V and the V-Battalion the only use of him in comics where he's stated as gay? (Because he's not even in that series)
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

On an unrelated topic: Anyone want to feel sad? No? Here's a letter I found in 1994's Uncanny X-Men #317. It's some heartbreaking stuff.

Hey, reading it made me sad, and if I have to be sad, I'm going to do what I can to drag someone else down with me.

Jokes aside, it really is a powerful letter, and it's worth reading. Reading stuff like this is why I try to support diversity. It's good to see that comic readers do now have LGBT people to represent them. But there's still a long way to go, and Marvel can still do much, much better.

In the meantime, we can always also push creator-owned comics that succeed at diversity. Just last night, I read Love Not Found, by Gina Biggs. A writer-artist who includes a lot of LGBT representation. (You can read her Red String online. It's a multi-volume love story that's really good.) Love Not Found includes casual bisexuality that's treated as the norm, and has a supporting character develop feelings for an intersex person who uses gender-neutral pronouns (like zir and zhe). I also recently read Shadoweyes, by Sophie Campbell, which also features an intersex supporting character (who identifies as female), and has some definite subtext between two female characters. (And Campbell herself is trans, of course.) I haven't read them yet, but the current volume of Princeless includes a dwarf couple (I think dwarves?) who are lesbians, and Princeless: Pirate Princess is all about a lesbian protagonist who, from what I gather, has at least three women she gets shipped with.

I figure supporting queer creators is a good way of raising the odds of them getting hired by Marvel (or DC), where they'll inevitably queer everything up and make a universe of people smooching. And isn't that really what we want to see at Marvel?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I'm only really interested in Brian Falsworth (hence posting on the LGBT thread ). Is Citizen V and the V-Battalion the only use of him in comics where he's stated as gay? (Because he's not even in that series)
    I believe so. That did annoy me a bit a first. (Which is rediculous, I'm not homophohe. I'm trans, after all.)

As a Brit, I felt they where shoehorning a sexuality in to a character that they didn't have in first place. After all, at the time, I felt they'd never think to make captain america gay (or a Nazi, or anything)

I suppose i was trying to process how I felt about my own identity at the time....

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    I believe so.
    About that, isn't it suggested more than something they come right out and say?

Quote Originally Posted by teamhawkeyes View Post
    If anyone's interested in some more details than CBR gave about Union Jack's story on the Avengers Academy game, I've finished what they have so far and there's some more details about him and Loki they left out.

In the story, Loki gets credit for gathering up the things to free Union Jack from the Ebony Blade's trap. And then Loki says he only did it to get his hands on the Blade, but then he takes a liking to Union Jack when he tells him that his dad is a Lord. Union Jack goes to Black Widow and says Loki's interesting and that he thinks he's hiding something. Then Union Jack goes to Fury saying there are double agents at the Academy, and his first mission is to find the mole. He goes to Black Widow, and she thinks it's Loki, but Union Jack defends him and says it isn't. Then Union Jack goes on some spy missions with Black Widow, they don't really discover anything new, but that's when he tells her he's gay.

Then he gets Loki to help him infiltrate AIM, saying he doesn't think Loki's as horrible as he acts. They come back and Union Jack makes fun of Loki for secretly being sensitive. Then Loki wants to celebrate their success by going dancing (he claims he just wants to show Union Jack how he's the best dancer there is), and Union Jack agrees. They go dancing. Union Jack isn't impressed by Loki's dancing and says they dance the exact same (a meta joke to the fact that both characters have the exact same animation used for their dancing). Union Jack compliments other people's dancing (the ones who have unique dancing animations) and Loki says he sounds like an idiot. Then they had a conversation that was essentially:

UJ: I think you like me
    L: I don't
    UJ: I think you do
    L: I hate you
    UJ: I think you really like me
    And then it ended with Loki getting flustered and basically telling Union Jack he wants to go dancing again.

......can we get this in the comics? I want this in the comics.
    I was wondering when this thread would comment on this, we've been squeeing about this in the Loki thread for a week now.

And unless time travel was involved unlikely for it to happen in the comics. This particular Union Jack died in the 1950's, unfortunately.

But I do really hope for them to give Loki a relationship because he hasn't had one for a LONG time, and now that he's done a face turn probably a good time for it, and I kinda want it to be with a guy, because though he has SAID he's interested in both men and women, it doesn't mean much if he never acts on it. I actually thought maybe Iceman (the elder) could work, if you could actually get them interacting.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I used to have Olivier Martinez as my Jean-Paul dreamcast, but alas, he hasn't aged that well. Eric Saade is growing into the role nicely, though.
    I had to look up the guys you were talking about and I'd say your assessment sounds about right. For me personally I'd really want an actor who is openly gay himself to play the first openly gay superhero in a superhero movie and especially for Northstar the first openly gay superhero himself. That's a part of why Matt Bomer would be my number 1 choice for him.

And Matt Bomer definetely has the looks and could give the personality too.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    And Matt Bomer definetely has the looks and could give the personality too.
    Yeah, those are the other reasons why I'd want him to play Northstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Okay, LOVING Union Jack. Can anyone recommend any comics where he's awesome?

If you start it now, does it begin at the start of the British Invasion quest???
    It starts the British Invasion quest at a point where you can still unlock Captain Britain and Black Knight, but Union Jack is nowhere to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I was wondering when this thread would comment on this, we've been squeeing about this in the Loki thread for a week now.

And unless time travel was involved unlikely for it to happen in the comics. This particular Union Jack died in the 1950's, unfortunately.

But I do really hope for them to give Loki a relationship because he hasn't had one for a LONG time, and now that he's done a face turn probably a good time for it, and I kinda want it to be with a guy, because though he has SAID he's interested in both men and women, it doesn't mean much if he never acts on it. I actually thought maybe Iceman (the elder) could work, if you could actually get them interacting.
    Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed none of you guys got on here to point out his inclusion any sooner than the very last day he was available.
    When we see LGBT comic characters appearing anywhere (but especially in outside media) we should bring this to attention immediately. Even more so when it's just for a limited time only.