View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 46 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056961465461046 ... LastLast

<ahem> Illyana and Doug Ramsey are fated, thank you very much. #Ramsputin

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Surprised it hasn't been brought up yet, but both Anole & Northstar will be featured in November's Amazing X-Men # 13

Excited to see Anole featured, but damn that artist can't draw Vic to save his life.

Vic's right arm is supposed to be big, muscular. Not creepily deformed.
    And the least said about his head and its plating (and artists' inability to look at the original representation of it) the better. Just because he hasn't got a normal human head, doesn't mean they can draw him however they want. It's the same as if they drew Jean Grey as a short-haired blond.

Also, writers can't seem to decide what Vic's status is. Supposedly he's graduated and occasionally he's shown as actually being in his role on the board of directors of Worthington Industries. But at other times he appears to be back to being just a student at the school. I guess that way we at least get some screentime from him, but it doesn't show much consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Excited to see Anole featured, but damn that artist can't draw Vic to save his life.

Vic's right arm is supposed to be big, muscular. Not creepily deformed.
    And the least said about his head and its plating (and artists' inability to look at the original representation of it) the better. Just because he hasn't got a normal human head, doesn't mean they can draw him however they want. It's the same as if they drew Jean Grey as a short-haired blond.
    Yeah, I don't much care for Bradshaw's art in general. I don't get the appeal.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    <ahem> Illyana and Doug Ramsey are fated, thank you very much. #Ramsputin
    I still hold out hope that Doug will eventually come out.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

http://38.media.tumblr.com/0486245e0...sbxo1_1280.jpg

From the new avengers undercover. Cute scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    http://38.media.tumblr.com/0486245e0...sbxo1_1280.jpg

From the new avengers undercover. Cute scene.
    I actually thought they were a couple till I read the series. I confess I was disappointed to find out otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I actually thought they were a couple till I read the series. I confess I was disappointed to find out otherwise.
    Nope. As the Gay Best Friend, he doesn't actually get to date anyone. He has to just pine away for his straight friend.

Actually, I've always found that trope a bit condescending and arrogant. It's like, straight people have to put themselves in the centre of any story. I mean, how often do you see stories with a gay supporting character where that character's primary purpose is actually to be in love with the straight protagonist? Yeah yeah, I know that sort of thing happens, but is there absolutely no gay people in the world who aren't in love with their straight friends? (Side note: I write some shitty superhero stories. I've had a few gay characters, and I've got something of a running gag where straight best friends ask if the gay character's in love with them, and the gay character gets annoyed at the fact that that's their immediate assumption. I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen in a story. It's always an unrequited crush and we're supposed to feel sorry for the poor gay person. To hell with that! Let's see some gay people who aren't bearing a torch for their straight friends!)

My personal favorite gay-straight bromance is Anole and Rockslide.

Last edited by NewMutant; 08-28-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Yeah, those two are awesome. And you can tell that it's purely platonic. Those two are bros for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Actually, I've always found that trope a bit condescending and arrogant. It's like, straight people have to put themselves in the centre of any story. I mean, how often do you see stories with a gay supporting character where that character's primary purpose is actually to be in love with the straight protagonist? Yeah yeah, I know that sort of thing happens, but is there absolutely no gay people in the world who aren't in love with their straight friends?
    I'm still annoyed that the ONLY potential gay love story in Love Actually (2003) was changed into a straight one at the end. While we don't necessarily want the cliche, I'd take the cliche over complete absence all together of any LGBT characters. When it comes to "what love is" I guess 15 stories isn't enough to feel one should be LGBT. Sounds like Hickman's Avenger roster... OH, SNAP!

Ditto! I'd love for Benjamin Deeds and Mindee to become BFFs. Do we have any gay characters who have a female best friend? I mean Wiccan arguably probably does BUT we never see the BFF interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ditto! I'd love for Benjamin Deeds and Mindee to become BFFs. Do we have any gay characters who have a female best friend? I mean Wiccan arguably probably does BUT we never see the BFF interaction.
    Back in Chuck Austen's abomination of an X-Men run, Northstar and Nurse Annie became good friends (and Northstar also had a thing for Iceman). No other examples spring immediately to mind.

Do Rictor and Rahne from X-Factor count? They were pretty close, but they also had sex, and Rictor was bi rather than gay.

If any of the Cuckoos were to have a BFF, it would definitely be Irma. She's definitely progressed in a much friendlier direction than the other two. (I actually kinda wonder if Phoebe maybe has a bit of a crush on Jean Grey - she started thinking of dying her hair very soon after Jean was brought from the past, and followed through almost immediately after Jean moved to the NXS. I just think that would be kind of a fun story. Celeste, meanwhile, remains an Alpha Bitch, and much-loved for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Northstar and Dazzler!

Back on the old CBR I did a Countdown of favorite X-Duos.

Northstar and Dazzler came in 5th...

Anole and Rockslide placed in the Top Ten...

AMAZING preview art for Loki: Agent of Asgard #6 by Al Ewing. Loki vs. Doom... EPIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Nope. As the Gay Best Friend, he doesn't actually get to date anyone. He has to just pine away for his straight friend.

Actually, I've always found that trope a bit condescending and arrogant. It's like, straight people have to put themselves in the centre of any story. I mean, how often do you see stories with a gay supporting character where that character's primary purpose is actually to be in love with the straight protagonist? Yeah yeah, I know that sort of thing happens, but is there absolutely no gay people in the world who aren't in love with their straight friends? (Side note: I write some shitty superhero stories. I've had a few gay characters, and I've got something of a running gag where straight best friends ask if the gay character's in love with them, and the gay character gets annoyed at the fact that that's their immediate assumption. I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen in a story. It's always an unrequited crush and we're supposed to feel sorry for the poor gay person. To hell with that! Let's see some gay people who aren't bearing a torch for their straight friends!)
    I was that unrequited crusher. Its not condescending. People may find it cliche, apparently, but it does happen -- often. And its certainly not limited to gay/straight friendships -- these things happen all the time. Unrequited love, that is. Its a very real, relatable, aspect of life. Sometimes the person we're in love with... doesn't love us back -- for whatever reasons.