View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 47 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157971475471047 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I was that unrequited crusher. Its not condescending. People may find it cliche, apparently, but it does happen -- often. And its certainly not limited to gay/straight friendships -- these things happen all the time. Unrequited love, that is. Its a very real, relatable, aspect of life. Sometimes the person we're in love with... doesn't love us back -- for whatever reasons.
    Right, and if it was something that only happened once in a while, it wouldn't be a big deal. It just feels like it happens a lot in fiction. Thinking on it more, I guess it actually isn't that common in Marvel's comics, but in general, in fiction, if there's a gay supporting character in a story, they're either going to be effectively neuter, or they're going to be in love with the protagonist.

Admittedly, I think the main place I've noticed it is actually webcomics. It's happened in almost every webcomic I've read. So maybe that's just coloured my perception of how common it is in fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ditto! I'd love for Benjamin Deeds and Mindee to become BFFs. Do we have any gay characters who have a female best friend? I mean Wiccan arguably probably does BUT we never see the BFF interaction.
    I don't really know the Cuckoos by name, but I feel that Benjamin and the one that went with short, black hair are being written to show the development of such a relationship. They've been fairly friendly in both the Uncanny X-Men/Iron Man/Nova Specials and they were again seemingly close in the X-Men 100th anniversary one-shot. I like their friendship as depicted there and I hope they show more of it in the main book.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I don't really know the Cuckoos by name, but I feel that Benjamin and the one that went with short, black hair are being written to show the development of such a relationship. They've been fairly friendly in both the Uncanny X-Men/Iron Man/Nova Specials and they were again seemingly close in the X-Men 100th anniversary one-shot. I like their friendship as depicted there and I hope they show more of it in the main book.
    That's Irma, aka Mindee. Her actual name is Irma, but she uses Mindee Cuckoo as her codename, for some reason.

I have no problem with unrequited love, but how often in comics do we see that happen with straight character... I can't even think of an example. My bigger issue of gay comic characters is how they've been desexualized. Gay characters are either just a supporting role friend where their sexuality isn't explored beyond bits or most commonly coupled in a serious relationship (which rarely is explored before on panel kissing... which is still very recent). How many girls has Daredevil, Wolverine, Hawkeye, Iron Man, etc slept with?? The most casual fling we've "seen" off panel was Northstar/Hercules and that was made as a joke and the characters have never really interacted. There just isn't a lot of depth explored there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    That's Irma, aka Mindee. Her actual name is Irma, but she uses Mindee Cuckoo as her codename, for some reason.
    Grant Morrison created the Cuckoos... and the original plan was to have the first letter of each of their names spell "Spice" and they would be the "Spice Girls". Morrison left before ever naming the last Cuckoo. Chuck Austen named the nameless one Mindee and Matt Fraction retconned that her name was actually Irma to continue with Morrisons plan... so she goes by both.

Ditto! I'd love for Benjamin Deeds and Mindee to become BFFs. Do we have any gay characters who have a female best friend? I mean Wiccan arguably probably does BUT we never see the BFF interaction.
    Anole and Pixie had BFF interaction. And Notherstar and Nurse Annie but no one likes the Austen era.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Anole and Pixie had BFF interaction. And Notherstar and Nurse Annie but no one likes the Austen era.
    I love Anole and Pixie too. I loved their Dazzler, Northstar, Anole, Pixie group of friends/mentors.

Last edited by NewMutant; 08-28-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Dazzler should be friends with, like, every gay male character. She should have a huge gay following.

Dazzler should be friends with, like, every gay male character. She should have a huge gay following.
    Billy and Teddy and the gang saw her concert on the moon not too long ago. That was a fun little wink wink nudge nudge.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

AMAZING preview art for Loki: Agent of Asgard #6 by Al Ewing. Loki vs. Doom... EPIC!!!

That does look epic, but I kinda want Doom to win.

I just hope Loki mentions how bad Doom wanted him (got him?) when he was Sif.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

So terribly stereotypical......and yet I can't argue against it because Dazzler really should be a 'hag' for everyone
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    So terribly stereotypical......and yet I can't argue against it because Dazzler really should be a 'hag' for everyone
    In the case of Dazzler it really fits; she didn't start that way, but I see it almost as a nod to her gay fan base (which seems to be most of her fans IMO). Dazzler and Northstar work well together on many levels in particular... they are both celebrities (an aspect that has been terribly underplayed) and both sort of lost connections to the X-Men. They've each have a long history with the team but never really became major players or had a noticeable relationship with any of the popular main stays. They almost enhance each other by their friendship. Plus it pulls them out of their rut of their tradition Dazzler/Longshot and Northstar/Aurora pairings. It was my favorite thing in Fraction's run but underused still. I was psyched to see Dazzler on the cover of his wedding issue and was furious when she failed to actually be in the issue.

Then we have Anole and Pixie who essentially parallel the junior version of that. I always thought Fraction should have had Anole leaving the Dazzler concert with Pixie instead of some random guy. Pixie is a fairy with pink hair. Dazzler has been her adult friend/mentor; whereas Northstar is that to Anole. Anole has his gay mentor, his hag, and his best bro... I love it.

While I'm thrilled Marvel is producing more titles with women and of African descent, I would like to see a gay character with an on-going title. I realize Loki is bisexual, but thus far I don't believe his sexuality has really played in to anything. I would love to see Northstar giving a solo, or a Ricstar title, Daken back to his sexy solo self, or something. Even a Mighty Avengers or adjective-less X-Men type teamed focused on the gay characters. The closest we ever got was this fun team in a mini...

They have this great interview with Ales Kot at Vulture where he talks a bit about Secret Avengers, and semi-confirms my thought about his portrayal of Agent Coulson. He might not have been given the heads up to go for it, but he's certainly hinted at it a lot so far. Hell, in the last issue he was in drag!

"This is a minor thing, but I heard a rumor that, when you started writing Secret Avengers for Marvel, you wanted to make S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson gay. Is the rumor true?
    No comment.

I figured that would be the answer.
    However, I will say that I've read some rather great slash fiction where Coulson was definitely gay."

Amazing Member

Actually, I've always found that trope a bit condescending and arrogant. It's like, straight people have to put themselves in the centre of any story. I mean, how often do you see stories with a gay supporting character where that character's primary purpose is actually to be in love with the straight protagonist? Yeah yeah, I know that sort of thing happens, but is there absolutely no gay people in the world who aren't in love with their straight friends?
    I loved Cullen and Aiden's storyline, and I suppose it is cliche. But at the same time, this is something a lot of LBGT folks go through growing up and figure out our feelings and deal with the incompatible orientation. Plus, I love drama and I just liked the whole messiness of the situation and how there was just no way nobody wasn't going to get hurt.

It's a shame the series will end and Cullen and Aiden's adventures will stop there. I hope Hopeless can fit in a cameo in Spider-Woman or maybe another writer will put them in something else. I kinda want Cullen/Anole, but that interferes with my ship of Stryker/Anole. Cullen/Prodigy would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    LOVE this image, LOVE this duo. Bromance Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I was that unrequited crusher. Its not condescending. People may find it cliche, apparently, but it does happen -- often. And its certainly not limited to gay/straight friendships -- these things happen all the time. Unrequited love, that is. Its a very real, relatable, aspect of life. Sometimes the person we're in love with... doesn't love us back -- for whatever reasons.
    DITTO! Story of my life (I have the world's WORST gaydar, so kept thinking they were probably gay deep down). Oh well... nearly always the guy remained one of my best friends (and actually the crush made a bond between us, which was very nice).

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    That's Mindee/Irman. And agreed, they had great chemistry of BFFness in the Specials (last special was a bit of a let down, but the first two were fab).

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I love Anole and Pixie too. I loved their Dazzler, Northstar, Anole, Pixie group of friends/mentors.
    I forgot about Pixie and Anole. Awwww, I love this!

Fantastic Member

I have a question, in what issue has Karma been outed?
    I have read the entire first volume of New Mutants, but the only two reference to her sexuality was her implied rape (not outright stated, but it is heavily implied) after having had to watch how her mother had been raped (that tale was recounted in the very first issue of New Mutants, I think) and when her body had been taken over by a body-snatching villain named Shadow King (I think was his name, Charles Xavier defeated him a long time ago to save Storm) who (naturally) had a harem of nubile women (he also grossly overfed her body, making her horribly obese) and neither count for obvious reasons.
    I was therefore really surprised to read here in this very thread (which I enjoy immensely, by the way) that Karma prefers women.

So, where and when did it happen? And whom did she open her heart?