View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 475 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 375425465471472473474475476477478479485525575975 ... LastLast
Results 7,111 to 7,125 of 16972
    Supernatural Inhuman! Lucena Soares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Be even better if they had women of colour writing for them. I mean, forget having a woman of colour as Iron Man, how amazing would it be to have a woman of colour writing Iron Man? Wouldn't that be the best thing?

But, of course, a woman getting to write a title that actually matters isn't going to happen. The only ones who Marvel trusts with important titles are white dudes.

They could at least get a black woman drawing the damn title. Marvel's patting themselves on the back for having a black girl as a protagonist, written and drawn by white guys. They couldn't have gotten Natacha Bustos to draw the comic? She's a fantastic artist, immensely talented, and she's actually a black woman. Having a high-profile title starring a black girl and drawn by a black woman is something that actually might be praise-worthy. If they'd gotten Bustos to draw the book, I would've bought it.

As it is, Marvel can shut the hell up with their self-congratulatory bullshit. Diverse creators are more important than diverse characters.

As for Champions, yeah, when you have a teen-oriented title, it's just wrong not to include LGBT representation. I'm hoping Viv is revealed as bisexual (or pansexual). But I'm dubious. Maybe an LGBT character will join early on. But if you're going to have a teen-oriented team book, include LGBT representation. It's important.
    Well, Viv Is replaying the last conversation she had with the ONLY human who was kind to her since that same day her mother killed him. But i don't think that's a sign that she had feelings for him. She's just super lonely and traumatized and trapped in that unhealthy Vision household.
    Everything Lives!

My initial reaction to Champions was the worst because finaly Marvel is putting out a team book with young characters... and none of the Runaways, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena etc.. showed up there. I admit that I might have jumped the gun since more characters might join the team later but who in the hell thought it was a better idea to have Viv instead of Karolina Dean, Hazmat, Cullen Bloodstone or Tommy? ugh
    I guess Viv could be LGBT but so could any of the others come out as bi later on, either way it still feels like a missed opportunity to showcase some young fan-favorites that are going to stay in limbo now. Miles, Kamala, Cho and Sam have solos already. Patriot, Speed, Prodigy, Striker and Julie Power are nowhere to be seen and are probably going to stay that way for the forseeable future.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post
    who in the hell thought it was a better idea to have Viv instead of Karolina Dean, Hazmat, Cullen Bloodstone or Tommy? ugh
    Tom Brevoort, specifically.

I guess Viv could be LGBT but so could any of the others come out as bi later on, either way it still feels like a missed opportunity to showcase some young fan-favorites that are going to stay in limbo now. Miles, Kamala, Cho and Sam have solos already. Patriot, Speed, Prodigy, Striker and Julie Power are nowhere to be seen and are probably going to stay that way for the forseeable future.
    I mean - honestly. The characters you listed aren't really fan favorites in the typical sense; Patriot and Speed are the two that stand out from the rest, but I think also that part of Marvel's approach was apart from Kamala, Sam, and Miles being on ANAD Avengers, that this is a team that hasn't really been seen before. Or much of anything like it, at least in the makeup of it.

Also, one of their big things is pushing lesser known characters. I'm not accusing you of this but I'm kind of incredibly over people looking at new characters like Viv or Riri getting a push and going 'ew.'
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The other thing about the Champs is that I'm not particularly excited by Ramos' art, would have preferred Asrar. I do like that the team consists of representatives from most of the major 'houses' of Marvel: a mutant, an Inhuman, a hulk, a spider-man, an AI, and a cosmic.

So this isn't really the thread for this, but I don't see it being discussed anywhere else and this seems like a safe place to bring it up. The news that Sulu will be gay in the upcoming Star Trek movie was a pleasant surprise. It's about time, really. I do have some mixed opinions about them choosing to out that particular character, but overall I think it's a positive development.
    Last edited by Dante Milton; 07-07-2016 at 10:26 AM.

I like that Sulu is gay, particularly because the intent behind it is to honor George Takei, and also because representation in popular media is important.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post
    Patriot, Speed, Prodigy, Striker and Julie Power are nowhere to be seen and are probably going to stay that way for the forseeable future.
    Don't be so certain of this.

It was already mentioned (within the Marvel August Solicts {and News}) that Julie {along with Jack & Katie presumably} will be seen within CW II: CHOOSING SIDES #4.

Just be a bit more patient when it comes to Marvel utilizing their characters for whatever stories they have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    I mean - honestly. The characters you listed aren't really fan favorites in the typical sense; Patriot and Speed are the two that stand out from the rest, but I think also that part of Marvel's approach was apart from Kamala, Sam, and Miles being on ANAD Avengers, that this is a team that hasn't really been seen before. Or much of anything like it, at least in the makeup of it.

Also, one of their big things is pushing lesser known characters. I'm not accusing you of this but I'm kind of incredibly over people looking at new characters like Viv or Riri getting a push and going 'ew.'
    I was hoping to see the already new and different characters from Runaways, Young Avengers, New X-Men and Avengers Academy be brought back in an on-going and then I see a "Marvel's Teen Heroes" announcement and it's a bunch of characters who were already in a team book (the official Avengers book no less) and most of whom have their own solos. I was/am disappointed that instead of a new book with the new characters I wanted to see I'll have a new book with the characters I was already reading about just so the official Avengers team can be again occupied by the same old same old that I'm tired of reading about. Miles, Sam and Kamala were just moved to another book, they were never in any danger of going to limbo.

I'll be giving Champions a chance and I'm probably going to like it but I'd like to see some new young diverse characters that are in limbo be used. Viv might be a great character but I'd still like to see Karolina Dean and Cullen Bloodstone because I like them and they deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    So this isn't really the thread for this, but I don't see it being discussed anywhere else and this seems like a safe place to bring it up. The news that Sulu will be gay in the upcoming Star Trek movie was a pleasant surprise. It's about time, really. I do have some mixed opinions about them choosing to out that particular character, but overall I think it's a positive development.
    Happy to hear about that. This is definitely the right place to appreciate this type of news. I can't only imagine if this news gets it's own thread, it would get really ugly really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Don't be so certain of this.

It was already mentioned (within the Marvel August Solicts {and News}) that Julie {along with Jack & Katie presumably} will be seen within CW II: CHOOSING SIDES #4.

Just be a bit more patient when it comes to Marvel utilizing their characters for whatever stories they have in mind.
    So excited to hear about this.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I like that Sulu is gay, particularly because the intent behind it is to honor George Takei, and also because representation in popular media is important.
    I'm not into Star Trek at all myself but I am glad to hear this news about the movie, 'cause you're right; representation in popular media is important.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Imagine the people freaking out if it turns out Riri isn't straight.

A straight, cis, genius white male being replaced by a genius, queer, woman of color...
    With all the recent announcements I had completely forgotten that Bendis had teased a solo ongoing featuring an LGBT character on his tumblr, so this is actually a strong possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    With all the recent announcements I had completely forgotten that Bendis had teased a solo ongoing featuring an LGBT character on his tumblr, so this is actually a strong possibility.
    Yes it is. As much as I'd prefer a MAC solo (or maybe both??? oh gosh please) I'm not sure Bendis would plug a title that wasn't his own in such a fashion.

Yes it is. As much as I'd prefer a MAC solo (or maybe both??? oh gosh please) I'm not sure Bendis would plug a title that wasn't his own in such a fashion.
    I suspect he would, actually. He was asked if Marvel will have an LGBT solo, I can believe he'd confirm even if he wasn't writing it. If the writer is someone he's friends with - and he's friends with a lot of writers - then even more likely.

So now George Takei himself is speaking out against Sulu being gay in the next Star Trek movie. Get ready for the angry straight guys to use Takei's opinion to argue that only brand new characters that they won't ever care about should be gay.
    http://www.newnownext.com/george-tak...s-gay/07/2016/

And yes there is already a thread about this on CBR and yes it is already going exactly how you would expect it to.
    http://community.comicbookresources....ek-quot-Vision

I'm not gonna' lie people, I am F***ING PISSED at Takei right now. He just handed our enemies every excuse they need to keep us out of their popular movies. I already threw in the towel hoping for a gay superhero, it doesn't look like a gay character being in any popular movie series will be received well.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 07-07-2016 at 07:01 PM.

That's beyond upsetting. I can rant right now, but I'm trying to hold it in. What if Sulu was never closeted? He never stated his sexuality. What really drives me nuts is when people assume heterosexuality and that being gay is something that has to be revealed. It looks like Sulu will have a husband and daughter, and that there will be no coming out because he didn't have to.

"Be imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted." Really?! I was closeted and came out. I'm sorry if my life wasn't imaginative enough for you! We live in a society where gays are too afraid to come out of the closet because they are discriminated against. So, the act of coming out is very real and very relative. Hearing these words from Takei, a homosexual man, is absurd.

Sorry if Sulu wasn't created to be gay, but there has been nothing to state otherwise. Another sad trope in which people believe that only the creator gets to develop a franchise's characters. That's exactly it, a FRANCHISE. Of course multiple people will be working on it throughout a large range in time.

Quinto needs to lay down the hammer on all the naysayers, including Takei. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Last edited by gifted; 07-07-2016 at 07:16 PM.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    That's beyond upsetting. I can rant right now, but I'm trying to hold it in. What if Sulu was never closeted? He never stated his sexuality. What really drives me nuts is when people assume heterosexuality and that being gay is something that has to be revealed. It looks like Sulu will have a husband and daughter, and that there will be no coming out because he didn't have to.

"Be imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted." Really?! I was closeted and came out. I'm sorry if my life wasn't imaginative enough for you! We live in a society where gays are too afraid to come out of the closet because they are discriminated against. So, the act of coming out is very real and very relative. Hearing these words from Takei, a homosexual man, is absurd.

Sorry if Sulu wasn't created to be gay, but there has been nothing to state otherwise. Another sad trope in which people believe that only the creator gets to develop a franchise's characters. That's exactly it, a FRANCHISE. Of course multiple people will be working on it throughout a large range in time.

Quinto needs to lay down the hammer on all the naysayers, including Takei. Absolutely ridiculous.
    You're preaching to the choir buddy. And while I'm not a Star trek fan I haven't heard anything about Sulu's sexual orientation being established as anything before this. It will be interesting to hear Quinto's reaction to this.

I need a distraction.

So... how about that Coipel cover of daddy Thor?

I'm also really sad that Marvel isn't capitalizing on their idea to incorporate X-Men into the greater Marvel Universe by having Dani Moonstar become the new Valkyrie. Especially in the era of legacies replacing their seniors.

Are any of these topics even relevant to this thread?

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella