View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 48 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258981485481048 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Platinius View Post
    I have a question, in what issue has Karma been outed?
    I have read the entire first volume of New Mutants, but the only two reference to her sexuality was her implied rape (not outright stated, but it is heavily implied) after having had to watch how her mother had been raped (that tale was recounted in the very first issue of New Mutants, I think) and when her body had been taken over by a body-snatching villain named Shadow King (I think was his name, Charles Xavier defeated him a long time ago to save Storm) who (naturally) had a harem of nubile women (he also grossly overfed her body, making her horribly obese) and neither count for obvious reasons.
    I was therefore really surprised to read here in this very thread (which I enjoy immensely, by the way) that Karma prefers women.

So, where and when did it happen? And whom did she open her heart?
    According to the Internet: In X-Force #75, she showed up (with short pink hair) and mentioned living with a couple "girlfriends." There's a couple very subtle hints there, including her saying that Sam's "definitely not" her type, and her saying one of the girls knows she's a mutant and she'd probably be telling the other soon. Little things, but things nonetheless. Then Claremont decided to run with it in his Mekanix mini, making it very, very clear that she had a thing for Kitty.

Soon after that, she showed up in the second volume of New Mutants, where she was explicitly out (and Dani tried to hook her up with a local girl).

I have a question, in what issue has Karma been outed?
    I have read the entire first volume of New Mutants, but the only two reference to her sexuality was her implied rape (not outright stated, but it is heavily implied) after having had to watch how her mother had been raped (that tale was recounted in the very first issue of New Mutants, I think) and when her body had been taken over by a body-snatching villain named Shadow King (I think was his name, Charles Xavier defeated him a long time ago to save Storm) who (naturally) had a harem of nubile women (he also grossly overfed her body, making her horribly obese) and neither count for obvious reasons.
    I was therefore really surprised to read here in this very thread (which I enjoy immensely, by the way) that Karma prefers women.

So, where and when did it happen? And whom did she open her heart?
    The OP list is a collective effort of several years; from numerous posters. Sadly I can't cross check or confirm every suggestion, merely trust a) the poster knows what they are talking about, and b) someone will correct me if they were wrong. So far it's worked out golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    According to the Internet: In X-Force #75, she showed up (with short pink hair) and mentioned living with a couple "girlfriends." There's a couple very subtle hints there, including her saying that Sam's "definitely not" her type, and her saying one of the girls knows she's a mutant and she'd probably be telling the other soon. Little things, but things nonetheless. Then Claremont decided to run with it in his Mekanix mini, making it very, very clear that she had a thing for Kitty.

Soon after that, she showed up in the second volume of New Mutants, where she was explicitly out (and Dani tried to hook her up with a local girl).
    Thanks for fielding this, T.

Fantastic Member

Thank you very much for your help

Claremont wrote a lot of gay and lesbian subtext into his characters, so no surprise there

Thank you very much for your help

Claremont wrote a lot of gay and lesbian subtext into his characters, so no surprise there
    The funny part is that in the original New Mutants run, Karma was about the only one who didn't get tons of lesbian subtext. Dani and Wolfsbane were "soulmates," Illyana's first issue as a New Mutant has her thinking about how she could "lay the world at [Kitty's] feet" and it wouldn't be enough. I suppose Magma didn't get too much, either. But still more than Karma.

So the one female character that Claremont wrote without lesbian subtext is the one who turns out to be a lesbian. Hilarious.

The funny part is that in the original New Mutants run, Karma was about the only one who didn't get tons of lesbian subtext. Dani and Wolfsbane were "soulmates," Illyana's first issue as a New Mutant has her thinking about how she could "lay the world at [Kitty's] feet" and it wouldn't be enough. I suppose Magma didn't get too much, either. But still more than Karma.

So the one female character that Claremont wrote without lesbian subtext is the one who turns out to be a lesbian. Hilarious.
    haha. It's because Karma was the safest. Karma is really not used very often. She was barely even in the New Mutants. And didn't make a major reappearance till decades later for the New Mutants reunion series, cameos in Fraction's run, and being on the short lived Astonishing team.

Don't say that round certain Storm fans, you'll get lynched

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    haha. It's because Karma was the safest. Karma is really not used very often. She was barely even in the New Mutants. And didn't make a major reappearance till decades later for the New Mutants reunion series, cameos in Fraction's run, and being on the short lived Astonishing team.
    I really, REALLY want Karma to join Storm's X-men. I understand why, her powers (while different in a way) are almost redundant with Rachel, Psylocke AND Monet around. But she should join. It would be yet another glorious WOC in the already nearly entirely WOC cast. She needs some love.

QUESTION: does Karma need a major revamp?
    She just doesn't seem to capture any writers inspiration. Do we need someone to do a bit of an overhaul? Personally, I think a Karma led X-men: Legacy style comic would be fascinating. She's not the obvious choice, but her powers leave potential for so many creative concepts and explorations. Almost a spy book?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I really, REALLY want Karma to join Storm's X-men. I understand why, her powers (while different in a way) are almost redundant with Rachel, Psylocke AND Monet around. But she should join. It would be yet another glorious WOC in the already nearly entirely WOC cast. She needs some love.

QUESTION: does Karma need a major revamp?
    She just doesn't seem to capture any writers inspiration. Do we need someone to do a bit of an overhaul? Personally, I think a Karma led X-men: Legacy style comic would be fascinating. She's not the obvious choice, but her powers leave potential for so many creative concepts and explorations. Almost a spy book?
    I don't know that she needs a revamp. I think she just needs a writer who wants to use her. One obstacle is that she's not an obvious badass. She's quieter.

I actually have the perfect story that can be told with her, too. In her first appearance, she absorbed her brother's essence. This is something that's been referenced since then, but never actually explored. So do a story with that. Have her starting to go into a fugue state, with it being revealed that her brother's soul is regaining its strength and starting to occassionally possess her for brief periods. Then he's finally ejected from her, and his hatred for her makes him an enemy.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

It's been suggested a few times (not by me) that Karma would be a good fit for All New X-Factor, and I like the idea. She is a quieter character, (one who knows her own mind though) but I'd love to see what Peter David would do with her. I'd love to see an actual on panel relationship for her with a named character, and I think he writes that well. Also a couple of her NM teammates are already in the book. And they don't have anyone with any kind of mental powers currently, so I think she'd be useful.
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    It's been suggested a few times (not by me) that Karma would be a good fit for All New X-Factor, and I like the idea. She is a quieter character, (one who knows her own mind though) but I'd love to see what Peter David would do with her. I'd love to see an actual on panel relationship for her with a named character, and I think he writes that well. Also a couple of her NM teammates are already in the book. And they don't have anyone with any kind of mental powers currently, so I think she'd be useful.
    I'd be fine with that. PAD does a great job with minor characters no one cares about. I'm sure Serval has a library - most major corporations do - so she could always be hired to manage it. And then go along on missions.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

I'd be fine with that. PAD does a great job with minor characters no one cares about. I'm sure Serval has a library - most major corporations do - so she could always be hired to manage it. And then go along on missions.
    That's a good idea. She's been portrayed a bit differently to most over the years because she has a family who are dependant on her, and she needs to have a normal, paying job; with some super heroics on the side.

Speaking of X-Factor, (this doesn't quite fit here, but it's definitely an alternate sort of relationship) how would you define a flirtation between a robot (Danger) who has assigned herself a female gender and a genderless alien whose species reproduces assexually (Warlock) who is arbitrarily referred to as male; when she suggests intercourse where they both shapeshift genitals of their preference? Is it straightish, or is it Other? Funny either way.

image.jpg
    "Self has no time for this."

I think Karma would be a great addition to X-Factor. As SeaHound mentioned, X-Factor doesn't currently have any players with mental powers. Also Karma's addition would greatly diversify the cast.

Does anyone have any suggestions of LGBTQ comics to look into?

The Legend of Bold Riley. So damned good. Just an amazing book.

Hopeless Savages Vol. 2 and 3 are both good.

If you're willing to give webcomics a try, then I'd recommend Rain, which is about a transgender girl, and is full of other queer characters (a gay guy, a couple lesbians, a pansexual girl, a genderfluid person, another transgender character, a bisexual aunt . . . yeah, it's kind of a lot). It can get pretty sweet, often. Between Failures is pretty funny, and currently has a couple bisexual girls in a relationship. Spinnerette is a superhero webcomic where the main character's in relationship with another girl (who happens to have ALS, which came up long, long before the recent attention ALS has gotten).

I've actually noticed most webcomics have LGBT characters at some point or another. Often lesbians. (If the main character in a webcomic is a woman, there will be a lesbian friend who's in love with her. It's almost a guarantee.)

I can probably come up with more, but I'm lazy.

I too agree that Karma would make a perfect addition to All New X-factor (adds another female, a POC and LGBT character -- all things that team needs more of).

This is only Marvel, but... FROM THE OP

LGBT ON-GOING SERIES
    (2005) Mystique #1-24 (by Brian K. Vaughan/Sean McKeever) [MARVEL'S FIRST LGBT ON-GOING]
    (2009) Dark Wolverine vol. 1 #75-90 (by Marjorie Liu/Daniel Way)
    (2010) Daken: Dark Wolverine vol. 2 #1-23 (by Marjorie Liu/Daniel Way/Rob Williams)
    (2011) Herc #1-10 (by Greg Pak/Fred vanLente)
    (2014) Loki: Agent of Asgard #1-PRESENT (by Al Ewing)

LGBT MINI-SERIES
    (1994) Northstar #1-4 (by Simon Furman)
    (1996) Sabertooth & Mystique #1-4 (by Jorge Gonzalez)
    (2003) Rawhide Kid #1-5 (by Ron Zimmerman)
    (2006) Young Avengers/Runaways: Civil War #1-4 (by Zeb Wells)
    (2007) Annihilation: Conquest - Quasar #1-4 (by Christos Gage)
    (2008) Secret Invasion: Young Avengers/Runaways #1-3 (by Chris Yost)
    (2010) Avengers: Children's Crusade #1-12 (by Allen Heinberg) [nom. 2011 GLAAD Media Award] [nom. 2012 GLAAD Media Award]
    (2010) Rawhide Kid #1-4 (by Ron Zimmerman)

IMPORTANT LGBT COMICS
    (2003) X-Statix #1-26 (by Peter Millgen) [nom. 2003 GLAAD Media Award]
    (2003) Runaways #1-18 (by Brian K. Vaughan)
    (2005) Young Avengers vol. 1 #1-12 (by Allen Heinberg) [AWARDED 2006 GLAAD MEDIA AWARD]
    (2005) Runaways #1-30 (by Brian K. Vaughan/Joss Whedon)
    (2006) X-factor vol. 3 #43-50/200-259 (by Peter David) [nom. 2010 GLAAD Media Award] [AWARDED 2011 GLAAD MEDIA AWARD] [nom. 2012 GLAAD Media Award]
    (2012) Astonishing X-men #48-68 (by Marjorie Liu) [nom. 2013 GLAAD Media Award]
    (2208) Runaways #1-14 (by Terry Moore/Kathryn Immonen)
    (2013) Fearless Defenders #1-13 (by Cullen Bunn) [nom. 2014 GLAAD Media Award]
    (2013) Young Avengers vol. 2 #1-15 (by Kieron Gillen) [AWARDED 2014 GLAAD MEDIA AWARD]

COMICS OF NOTE
    (1992) Alpha Flight #106 (by Scott Lobdell) (Northstar comes out as gay) - the ONLY comic included in the Gaylatic Hall of Fame -
    (2012) Astonishing X-men #51, May (by Marjorie Liu) (Marvel's first ever LGBT wedding)
    (2013) Uncanny X-men #14 (by Brian Michael Bendis) - Benjamin Deeds comes out -

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I too agree that Karma would make a perfect addition to All New X-factor (adds another female, a POC and LGBT character -- all things that team needs more of).

This is only Marvel, but... FROM THE OP

LGBT ON-GOING SERIES
    (2005) Mystique #1-24 (by Brian K. Vaughan/Sean McKeever) [MARVEL'S FIRST LGBT ON-GOING]
    (2009) Dark Wolverine vol. 1 #75-90 (by Marjorie Liu/Daniel Way)
    (2010) Daken: Dark Wolverine vol. 2 #1-23 (by Marjorie Liu/Daniel Way/Rob Williams)
    (2011) Herc #1-10 (by Greg Pak/Fred vanLente)
    (2014) Loki: Agent of Asgard #1-PRESENT (by Al Ewing)

LGBT MINI-SERIES
    (1994) Northstar #1-4 (by Simon Furman)
    (1996) Sabertooth & Mystique #1-4 (by Jorge Gonzalez)
    (2003) Rawhide Kid #1-5 (by Ron Zimmerman)
    (2006) Young Avengers/Runaways: Civil War #1-4 (by Zeb Wells)
    (2007) Annihilation: Conquest - Quasar #1-4 (by Christos Gage)
    (2008) Secret Invasion: Young Avengers/Runaways #1-3 (by Chris Yost)
    (2010) Avengers: Children's Crusade #1-12 (by Allen Heinberg) [nom. 2011 GLAAD Media Award] [nom. 2012 GLAAD Media Award]
    (2010) Rawhide Kid #1-4 (by Ron Zimmerman)

IMPORTANT LGBT COMICS
    (2003) X-Statix #1-26 (by Peter Millgen) [nom. 2003 GLAAD Media Award]
    (2003) Runaways #1-18 (by Brian K. Vaughan)
    (2005) Young Avengers vol. 1 #1-12 (by Allen Heinberg) [AWARDED 2006 GLAAD MEDIA AWARD]
    (2005) Runaways #1-30 (by Brian K. Vaughan/Joss Whedon)
    (2006) X-factor vol. 3 #43-50/200-259 (by Peter David) [nom. 2010 GLAAD Media Award] [AWARDED 2011 GLAAD MEDIA AWARD] [nom. 2012 GLAAD Media Award]
    (2012) Astonishing X-men #48-68 (by Marjorie Liu) [nom. 2013 GLAAD Media Award]
    (2208) Runaways #1-14 (by Terry Moore/Kathryn Immonen)
    (2013) Fearless Defenders #1-13 (by Cullen Bunn) [nom. 2014 GLAAD Media Award]
    (2013) Young Avengers vol. 2 #1-15 (by Kieron Gillen) [AWARDED 2014 GLAAD MEDIA AWARD]

COMICS OF NOTE
    (1992) Alpha Flight #106 (by Scott Lobdell) (Northstar comes out as gay) - the ONLY comic included in the Gaylatic Hall of Fame -
    (2012) Astonishing X-men #51, May (by Marjorie Liu) (Marvel's first ever LGBT wedding)
    (2013) Uncanny X-men #14 (by Brian Michael Bendis) - Benjamin Deeds comes out -
    Great list. Thanks.

I'm a Marvel man myself so I know and have read most of those. It's basically that and The Authority and Midnighter series as well.

I'm really looking for something that I don't think even exist sadly.