View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 480 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 380430470476477478479480481482483484490530580980 ... LastLast
Results 7,186 to 7,200 of 16973

I never thought of Kate as a token straight maybe because it's so common for straight girls to hang out with LGBT people. Tommy always stood out as The Straight Character in the team in the latest run. The fact he's the most underdeveloped of the whole team doesn't help much. Even Eli had storylines and meaningful relationships with the others while Tommy has always been Billy's Straight Twin Who Makes Jokes.

I hope New Avengers is relaunched as a new YA with Billy calling all of them to be a part of the team.

I didn't see her as a token straight character, because there were plenty of straight Young Avengers characters.
    Patriot, Speed, Stature, Vision, Noh Varr (I'm tempted to say Loki, but I'll throw people a bone)

Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post
    I never thought of Kate as a token straight maybe because it's so common for straight girls to hang out with LGBT people. Tommy always stood out as The Straight Character in the team in the latest run. The fact he's the most underdeveloped of the whole team doesn't help much. Even Eli had storylines and meaningful relationships with the others while Tommy has always been Billy's Straight Twin Who Makes Jokes.

I hope New Avengers is relaunched as a new YA with Billy calling all of them to be a part of the team.
    Let's be honest: Tommy only exists because back in the '80s Wanda had two children instead of just one. He literally came to the book on the last minute, probably when Heinberg decided to really go for the plot that Billy was Wanda's son or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I didn't see her as a token straight character, because there were plenty of straight Young Avengers characters.
    Patriot, Speed, Stature, Vision, Noh Varr (I'm tempted to say Loki, but I'll throw people a bone)
    In the first team, yep. But the laste one, Noh Varr says he's not exactly straight. And yeah, better not to talk about Loki. Marvel neglecting his sexuality is already awful enough, no need for the fans to do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    In the first team, yep. But the laste one, Noh Varr says he's not exactly straight. And yeah, better not to talk about Loki. Marvel neglecting his sexuality is already awful enough, no need for the fans to do that too.
    No, Noh Varr said he experimented. That is all. He didn't say he did it more than once. He didn't say he liked it. That does not constitute enough of a confirmation for me that he's anything other than straight.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

No, Noh Varr said he experimented. That is all. He didn't say he did it more than once. He didn't say he liked it. That does not constitute enough of a confirmation for me that he's anything other than straight.
    But doesn't rule it out either.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Well, Kate says right after "I'm the only straight!" so I think Gillen meant to imply he isn't.

Well, Kate says right after "I'm the only straight!" so I think Gillen meant to imply he isn't.
    Oh, I know what Gillen was trying to imply. I have plenty of issues with that scene and his run in general, but I'm not going to go into that again.
    Look, if people want to think he's LGBT they can go right ahead, but for me he simply doesn't count. One very small jokey scene that doesn't really confirm anything just doesn't cut it IMO.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    I know. I'm kidding.

It's funny because I enjoy Beast, just not what he's become. So, yeah, not my favorite. I actually don't hate many characters. Only Sage.
    I know you're kidding man, I love it when you joke around with me. Personally I never really cared for Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Though this explains a whole damn lot about why Anole could never seem to keep a consistent look artist to artist.
    God I cannot stand how inconsistently Anole is drawn. It's like every artist has their own take on what the "lizard boy" should look like. I want him to have a standard appearance if he's ever going to be more than a D-list student character.

BANNED

Let's be honest: Tommy only exists because back in the '80s Wanda had two children instead of just one. He literally came to the book on the last minute, probably when Heinberg decided to really go for the plot that Billy was Wanda's son or something like that.
    Technically, it was stated that Wanda (was <cough-cough> impregnate by the Vision) had used accumulated magical energy to create twin boys from two lost souls (odd that one boy has Wanda's magical abilities and the other has brother's -- and, neither had any "Synthezoid" capabilities or functions) -- Wanda and Vision named the children William and Thomas and lived normal lives until Mephisto rightfully claimed the two souls as his own.

During the House of M event, Wanda used her powers to recreate the world and while doing so she inadvertently recreated both William and Thomas -- but, they ended up as the children of other parents -- Thomas was the son of the Shepard family and William was the son of the Kaplan family.

Last edited by ZNOP; 07-10-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Given that no writer seemed to know what to do with him or be interested in doing something leads me to believe that might have been the case.

He didn't say he didn't like it either and given the fact he didn't object when Kate asked whether she was the only straight on the team says something. Also I don't see how can you see Noh-Varr's talking about his sexuality as a joke when he didn't seem to be joking at all. The next writer to use him should further develop that by giving him a male love interest instead of defaulting him to straight because the scene "didn't count."

I like Speed. And I think the gay guy straight guy the more positive gay guy-straight guy dynamics that are shown the better. I love the brotherhood between Speed and Wiccan. And I love the friendship between Rockslide and Anole. I find them very relatable.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post
    He didn't say he didn't like it either and given the fact he didn't object when Kate asked whether she was the only straight on the team says something. Also I don't see how can you see Noh-Varr's talking about his sexuality as a joke when he didn't seem to be joking at all. The next writer to use him should further develop that by giving him a male love interest instead of defaulting him to straight because the scene "didn't count."
    I didn't necessarily mean that Noh Varr was joking. I meant the whole scene was jokey. As in a lighthearted jovial sense. Like with America commenting that Kate was checking her out. And yes, saying that the exploration ship you were on also meant exploring your sexuality was also jokey. I'm not saying it was meant as a lie, but it was definitely meant to be jokey.
    As for why he didn't object to Kate, there are any number of possible reasons. But mainly because Gillen wanted to have the whole team randomly be revealed to be LGBT at some level. But for some reason he didn't go all the way with outing him. Just like he didn't actually confirm that Kate was ever checking out America. And that's fine by me, because I hated Gillen pulling that stunt and I don't buy either being anything but straight.
    I'm all for a full team of LGBT characters, but I find writing all your teen characters as hipsters and then at the very end of your run revealing them all to be LGBT (because cool teens today are soooo open about sexuality that it doesn't matter anymore ¬_¬) to be a generally douchey move.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    And I love the friendship between Rockslide and Anole. I find them very relatable.
    Anole and Rockslide are the best. They need to make an X-Men team made up of characters who haven't had the same stories written about them over and over again since the 60's and 70's. I want Anole to be the leader of such a team, with Rockslide as the muscle.

So the new titles have leaked, and no Miss America solo. No LGBT solo at all as far I can tell. Also no obvious sign of where Wiccan, Hulkling, Iceman, Angela, or Sera are. Miss America I'm assuming is still part of the Ultimates. POD will be in USAvengers.

There's going to be a new Avengers series simply titled "Avengers" as well as another new series called "Occupy Avengers", I'm hoping Wiccan and Hulkling are on one of those teams. The real problem is the lack of X-Men books, conspriracy theories aside it looks like the X-Books are likely to get trimmed down again soon. The X-Men franchise has more gay, lesbian and bisexual characters than any other series, so a reduction in X-Men books inevitably means a reduction in representation for our characters too.