View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 520 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 204204705105165175185195205215225235245305706201020 ... LastLast
Results 7,786 to 7,800 of 16975

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    This is what I tend to think as well. Aside from being gay and possibly both enjoying winter sports, I don't really think they have a lot in common. I would like to see Kyle developed more instead, maybe bring him in as the PR person for an X-team like they had in the Utopia years.
    Yeah, that would be a great idea. Remember when the X-Men had humans in their supporting cast? Remember those days? Why not bring some of that back? Kyle as part of the supporting cast would be nice. Sadly, the X-Men office seems to have decided that co-existence means segregation. That the X-Men, in fighting for a future where humans and mutants live together in peace, should avoid humans like goddamn lepers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Yeah, that would be a great idea. Remember when the X-Men had humans in their supporting cast? Remember those days? Why not bring some of that back? Kyle as part of the supporting cast would be nice. Sadly, the X-Men office seems to have decided that co-existence means segregation. That the X-Men, in fighting for a future where humans and mutants live together in peace, should avoid humans like goddamn lepers.
    Yes! Moira McTaggart, Tom Corsi, Sharon Friedlander, Stevie Hunter, etc. plus the various *human* people that various mutants dated, such as Candy Southern, Charlotte Jones, Lee Forrester, Trish Tilby, Amanda Sefton/Jimaine Szardos, etc.

These days, Dr. Kavita Rao and Kyle (both rarely seen) are some of the few non-mutants to hang with the mutant crowd, and Xavier's MLK-esque dream of humans and mutants using the same bathrooms and water fountains seems to be deader than he is.

Teen Bobby, Bling!, Karma, there's plenty of room for one of the gay X-peeps to date a non-mutant, perhaps even a super-non-mutant (such as with Storm and Black Panther, which seemed an ill-conceived pairing, but at least got Storm out of the 'I'm not racist, but I only date mutants...' club).

Sure, let's blame the powerless X-office for editorial ideas; i would like to remind you that the first genocide was Quesada's idea because, apparently, there was way too many mutants.

And when Disney bought Marvel, the things when from bad to worse to "there is no loving God".

Mid-way through the first date, Northstar would get tired of Iceman and fly off. And Iceman would breathe a sigh of relief at not having to end the date himself

Sorry, I just don't think that they'd actually work well in a relationship. I can't really put into words why. I just get the impression that they wouldn't actually be compatible.
    One's spent his entire life kneecapping himself so that he wouldn't have to face up to the responsibilities that come with achievement and the other one's a professionally successful gives-no-fucks overachiever. And that's not even touching on how they handle being a member of a double-minority (well, triple in Northstar's case).

So no, not a fan of putting those two together at all.

This is what I tend to think as well. Aside from being gay and possibly both enjoying winter sports, I don't really think they have a lot in common. I would like to see Kyle developed more instead, maybe bring him in as the PR person for an X-team like they had in the Utopia years.
    That would have been a great niche for Kyle during the WaTXM era, when mutants were making a comeback. Now that we're in the middle of yet another damn extinction event, I'm not so sure that'd work well. The easiest way to bring Kyle more into play at this point would probably be making him an Inhuman.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 08-11-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Yeah, but Marvel would NEVER have the balls to do that. They'd be more likely to break them up or kill Kyle off than that.
    That's true. They haven't learned with other love triangles so they likely aren't gonna learn if this possibly is a route for Northstar and Iceman.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    And that's not even touching on how they handle being a member of a double-minority (well, triple in Northstar's case).
    Can I ask how Northstar is a triple-minority? He's gay and a mutant but what's the third thing? French-Canadian?

Can I ask how Northstar is a triple-minority? He's gay and a mutant but what's the third thing? French-Canadian?
    Yes, actually. As French-Canadian Quebecois, Northstar is part of a cultural minority, which is where his past as a violent separatist comes in. A friend of mine touched on some of the power dynamics at play there when I went trawling through some of JP's early appearances.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 08-11-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yes, actually. As French-Canadian Quebecois, Northstar is part of a cultural minority, which is where his past as a violent separatist comes in. A friend of mine touched on some of the power dynamics at play there when I went trawling through some of JP's early appearances.
    Ok, it must go to show what a privileged Anglo-Canadian I am that I honestly had to think about and wonder to myself; are French-Canadians a minority? I guess I didn't consider it 'cause I thought; well most French-Canadians live in Quebec where being French-Canadian is the norm. Also from what I understand Quebec has a real problem integrating immigrants (specifically immigrants who are POC) from other French-speaking parts of the world, they usually end up moving to Ontario, particularly Toronto. That probably influenced my opinion of white French-Canadians being considered a "minority".

Ok, it must go to show what a privileged Anglo-Canadian I am that I honestly had to think about and wonder to myself; are French-Canadians a minority? I guess I didn't consider it 'cause I thought; well most French-Canadians live in Quebec where being French-Canadian is the norm. Also from what I understand Quebec has a real problem integrating immigrants (specifically immigrants who are POC) from other French-speaking parts of the world, they usually end up moving to Ontario, particularly Toronto. That probably influenced my opinion of white French-Canadians being considered a "minority".
    I can see where that wouldn't seem to immediately line up, yeah. Sharing a language doesn't mean sharing a cultural identity, though. For example, I grew up in an area of the States where French-speaking communities used to be common, but being able to speak French didn't make me Cajun or Acadian.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Sure, let's blame the powerless X-office for editorial ideas; i would like to remind you that the first genocide was Quesada's idea because, apparently, there was way too many mutants.

And when Disney bought Marvel, the things when from bad to worse to "there is no loving God".
    I'm pretty sure no one told the X-office that they can't have human supporting characters. Quesada wanted to get rid of mutants, but he never said, "Oh, and make sure the X-Men make a huge effort to avoid interacting with humans." If the X-office wanted to have Stevie Hunter back in the supporting cast, they would, but the X-office decided that human supporting characters have no place in a franchise about co-existence.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

This is what I tend to think as well. Aside from being gay and possibly both enjoying winter sports, I don't really think they have a lot in common.
    I'm gonna be frank: isn't that what the initial "coupling" of Kyle and JP showed?

Bobby and JP would be an "opposites attract" couple.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

The X-Men haven't been about co-existence since M-Day hit, alas. Base survival and isolationism seem to be in style lately. Liu's Astonishing run was a nice break from that.

I'm pretty sure no one told the X-office that they can't have human supporting characters. Quesada wanted to get rid of mutants, but he never said, "Oh, and make sure the X-Men make a huge effort to avoid interacting with humans." If the X-office wanted to have Stevie Hunter back in the supporting cast, they would, but the X-office decided that human supporting characters have no place in a franchise about co-existence.
    Sure, and it also was the X-Office's idea that Rogue became an Avenger full time, because no one was interested or using her............oh wait..................

But anyways, you cant prove that he didnt and i cant prove that he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    I'm gonna be frank: isn't that what the initial "coupling" of Kyle and JP showed?

Bobby and JP would be an "opposites attract" couple.
    Actually, the initial relationship between Northstar and Kyle involved the fact that Kyle is Northstar's agent. They have a bond over Northstar's career, his public image. Iceman and Northstar wouldn't really be an "opposites attract" situation, because they're not really opposites. They have relatively little in common, but that doesn't make them opposites, it just makes them two people who don't really have much in common to serve as the basis of a relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Sure, and it also was the X-Office's idea that Rogue became an Avenger full time, because no one was interested or using her............oh wait..................

But anyways, you cant prove that he didnt and i cant prove that he did.
    Well, no, it wasn't the X-office's choice for Rogue to join the Avengers, but what does that have to do with Stevie Hunter? Two different offices wanted Rogue, and the Avengers office got her. But there's no fight over Stevie Hunter. Like, the Spider-office isn't going, "Sorry, we're doing something with her." The X-office can use Stevie if they want. They don't want to do that, because they don't want to bother with human supporting characters.

We have had a couple writers try to use human supporting characters. Marjorie Liu bringing in Kyle was a big example, and when Matt Fraction had the X-Men in San Francisco/Utopia, the mayor was a recurring character. And Kavita Rao was a part of the Science Team. But it's few and far between for humans as supporting characters in the franchise, and that's a mistake, and it's something the X-office should correct. And I'm pretty sure it would be their choice to correct it or not, and no one above them would object if they did.