View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 545 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 454454955355415425435445455465475485495555956451045 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 16974
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I think if a writer is concerned about these issues they understand that the good it does outweighs the negative feedback. Also on the creative end, writers and artists should be very familiar with the concept of criticism. Especially if they have a formal education, where the critique process is pretty much the cornerstone of a degree in the arts. Being a professional does not free you from constructive criticism, it is one of the primary ways in which an artist can improve their work. Separating valid criticism from noise isn't difficult; although yes, with social media the volume of that noise is amplified, but there are tools to reduce that and they can always step away for a bit and come back if needed.

Skip-able anecdote. I remember taking a ceramics sculpture class back in college and during the critique it was pointed out that the piece I had made was incredibly phallic. I was too involved in the project, too focused on what I thought I was creating to notice. It was intensely embarrassing, but I'm glad that it happened because it improved my work and illustrated how intent doesn't always translate to interpretation.
    Difference there is a few people in a class vs several thousand baying for your blood, sending you death threats or organising petitions against you.

I do get the point you are making that criticism can be a good tool for improvement, but that depends on both a) the way it is delivered b) if it is valid and c) if you feel it is worth it.

If I was a writer and had the chance to writer, I dunno, Wolverine or the chance to write a solo LGBT star book - I know which is going to sell, I know which is the safer option and I know which is going to stop me from having to be a) the gay writer or b) the gay writer who ruined everything and blah blah blah threads about me sucking online.

Even though I might really feel it needs doing, that doesnt meant I want the argro that comes with it, or frankly, would be strong enough to take it.

It would take the right person, and it's perfectly possible that Marvel haven't had anyone who, when faced with all that, has felt they were the right person at the right time.

In other news, I see the new solicitation are out - As much as I like Kate Bishop, it's beginning to annoy me that the straight white rich girl is the only Young Avenger to get any sort of push. For such a diverse team as it was, in either iteration, it's kinda telling how Marvel still have a long way to go when it comes to crossing some diversity barriers, which ties in to the above.

Maybe they need to get out and find a writer who is strong enough and has a story to tell, similar to how say, a comedy show will go and seek a specific type of comedian to write for them if they have a specific voice they want to use and audience to reach.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Well, there's World of Wakanda, at least. I liked the first BP trade enough that I'll be picking WoW in collected format too.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I understand what you're saying, particularly as an X-fan, I often wonder why writers would bother when there is a very vocal subset of fans who don't seem to be pleased with anything. However...

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Difference there is a few people in a class vs several thousand baying for your blood, sending you death threats or organising petitions against you.
    I would say the opinion of a handful of people who you admire and respect is probably worth more than the opinions of a thousand internet randos with egg avatars. Although that probably varies depending on the individual. As I mentioned above, extreme reactions such as death threats are unacceptable.

If I was a writer and had the chance to writer, I dunno, Wolverine or the chance to write a solo LGBT star book - I know which is going to sell, I know which is the safer option and I know which is going to stop me from having to be a) the gay writer or b) the gay writer who ruined everything and blah blah blah threads about me sucking online.
    The thing is, writers are going to get those comments regardless of what book they write, especially if they are writing a franchise character. I'm not saying it should be that way, that's just how it is. There is almost always going to be a group of fans that will find something to complain about. The difference here is, to use your example, between writing yet another Wolverine story or a story with an LGBT lead that could make a huge, meaningful difference to its audience. I think writers who are likely to care about such issues will see the value in making such stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Oh, as an aside, it might be worth noting that Mariko Tamaki, writer of the upcoming Hulk solo about Jen Walters, is gay. It's important to show appreciation for LGBT+ creators, too!
    Oh good I was looking for confirmation on that.

Yay! I can't wait! I've already started following her on twitter

Supernatural Inhuman! Lucena Soares's Avatar

In the new S.H.I.E.L.D. issue: spoilers:
    a shield-less Coulson leads a team to discover why Graymalkin is, acording to a vision Hill received, planning a mutant terrorist bombing with a train. Turns out the vision was totally fake and the train was a trap to Coulson from Elektra and her SHIELD team. Graymalkin is now a SHIELD agent/cadet under Elektra.
    end of spoilers
    Everything Lives!

Nice! Good to see not all the X-Kids got shuffled off to (literal) Limbo.

Meanwhile, over in Hellcat:

smooooch! (2).jpg

Yaaaay! It's about time those two finally got together. They're a cute couple.

BANNED

Tiresius is missing from the master post, from the recent Hercules and Gods of War series.

Is that Aunt May?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Is that Aunt May?
    Tiresias. Actually a character from Greek myth! In the myths, he was a prophet of Apollo, who Hera cursed to spend 7 years as a woman. (At one point, he was asked by Zeus and Hera which gender enjoyed sex more. Tiresias said women do. Which pissed off Hera, for some reason. Ancient Greeks were weird, I guess.)

So, yeah, Tiresias is a genderqueer blind Greek prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucena Soares View Post
    In the new S.H.I.E.L.D. issue: spoilers:
    a shield-less Coulson leads a team to discover why Graymalkin is, acording to a vision Hill received, planning a mutant terrorist bombing with a train. Turns out the vision was totally fake and the train was a trap to Coulson from Elektra and her SHIELD team. Graymalkin is now a SHIELD agent/cadet under Elektra.
    end of spoilers
    Shut Up Shut Up For real?! That's so great

smooooch! (2).jpg

Yaaaay! It's about time those two finally got together. They're a cute couple.
    I've been thinking of picking up the first Hellcat trade. On a scale of Ms. Marvel to Squirrel Girl, where does it fit in? Or does it really not fit on that scale at all?

Oh, as an aside, it might be worth noting that Mariko Tamaki, writer of the upcoming Hulk solo about Jen Walters, is gay. It's important to show appreciation for LGBT+ creators, too!
    That is AWESOME! And yes, very important to praise our LGBT artists and writers too. Representation matter in ALL fields.

smooooch! (2).jpg
    Adorable!

Tiresias. Actually a character from Greek myth! In the myths, he was a prophet of Apollo, who Hera cursed to spend 7 years as a woman. (At one point, he was asked by Zeus and Hera which gender enjoyed sex more. Tiresias said women do. Which pissed off Hera, for some reason. Ancient Greeks were weird, I guess.)

I'll add her to the OP.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

That's an interesting take on Tiresias. The mythological version wasn't genderqueer though, just magical sex transformation and then embraced that. Likely with a basis in a hermaphroditic cult figure from pre-history.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by teamhawkeyes View Post
    I've been thinking of picking up the first Hellcat trade. On a scale of Ms. Marvel to Squirrel Girl, where does it fit in? Or does it really not fit on that scale at all?
    I'd say closer to Squirrel Girl. There's a lot of jokes, and the art is adorable.