View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
889. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.29%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.51%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.51%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.29%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

77 8.66%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.17%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.07%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.76%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

25 2.81%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.29%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.74%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.81%
Page 6 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 234567891016561065061006 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    There are quite a few comic book characters who have either off-handedly mentioned same-sex shenanigans past (such as Noh-Varr), but never shown the slightest interest in actually pursuing one (or shown any attraction in their own gender) who feel kind of 'iffy' to me to claim as representing anything other than lazy writing. Similarly, just because Deadpool has worn a woman's clothing once or twice, I'd hardly call him a transvestite, any more than I'd call Hawkeye a naturist because he's been naked a time or two before.
    With Noh-Varr specifically, wasn't his 'outing' through a comment about how he was on an exploration vessel and that that included exploring sexuality or something?
    Now just because he explored his sexuality and had same-sex encounters (for all we know only the once), doesn't mean he actually liked it.
    Personally, I don't consider his comment at the end of Young Avengers to be sufficient evidence of him being bisexual.
    The guy had three people in the past relationships support group thingy where all others only had one and all three were female.

And that's an odd aside about several of these characters. Are Daken or Mystique really attracted to both genders, or are they just mercenary enough to play whatever level of game it takes to use people? In either case, they aren't exactly shining examples of LGBT, since they are predatory users, and fit uncomfortably well into the Depraved Bisexual or Psycho Lesbian trope. (Mystique, for instance, seemed to have a genuine relationship with / attraction to Destiny. But did she ever really find any of her male partners sexually attractive, or did she just use most of them?)

There are quite a few comic book characters who have either off-handedly mentioned same-sex shenanigans past (such as Noh-Varr), but never shown the slightest interest in actually pursuing one (or shown any attraction in their own gender) who feel kind of 'iffy' to me to claim as representing anything other than lazy writing. Similarly, just because Deadpool has worn a woman's clothing once or twice, I'd hardly call him a transvestite, any more than I'd call Hawkeye a naturist because he's been naked a time or two before.
    Agreed. The Noh-Varr thing was fine, partly because the whole series had already revolved around a same-sex relationship and a third character was revealed as bisexual in a very effective way, but also because he only said he explored his sexuality, not that he felt any real attraction to men now.

And yeah, Mystique is an example that really bugs me. She's classed as bisexual, but we have literally never seen her in bed with a woman, or even so much as initiating a kiss with a woman. Aside from Destiny, we have absolutely no proof, at all, in any of her appearances, that she's actually interested in women either romantically or sexually. And considering how many sex partners she's had, and how prone she is to use seduction as one of her primary tools to get what she wants, the fact that she's never tried it on a woman is vaguely annoying. Too many of the hints rely too much on readers already assuming she's bi, and so assigning a "tone" to various comments she's made.

So I think someone needs to actually show Mystique getting out of bed with a woman. Or show her at a bar, looking at a woman, and thinking, "That's who I'm going home with tonight."

Also, I'd actually really love a mini about Mystique and Destiny in their younger days. Do a story on how they met and fell in love. It could even have them find some serum that lengthened Destiny's life. (Destiny was canonically the Irene Adler from the Sherlock Holmes story. That means we know when she was born. The sliding timeline means she would've been over a hundred when she died, now, still in good health. So establish that she and Mystique were able to get their hands on some sort of life-extending serum. Boom, problem solved.)

I also agree on Deadpool. Especially because his "transvestism" is generally played for laughs - he puts on a woman's dress as part of a gag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Well, it may be that he's simply a hedonistic, sadistic bastard who likes making people do whatever he wants. Is he bisexual, or is sex simply a tool to him and he doesn't really care? I'm inclined to think a bit of both - he often uses sex as a tool, but I think he does also sometimes do it because it's fun..
    This. Thank you.
    And that's an odd aside about several of these characters. Are Daken or Mystique really attracted to both genders, or are they just mercenary enough to play whatever level of game it takes to use people? In either case, they aren't exactly shining examples of LGBT, since they are predatory users, and fit uncomfortably well into the Depraved Bisexual or Psycho Lesbian trope. (Mystique, for instance, seemed to have a genuine relationship with / attraction to Destiny. But did she ever really find any of her male partners sexually attractive, or did she just use most of them?)

Aaaaand this. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ohhhhhh... I like that idea! Anya and MAC... though would their "ship" name be Manya??? (which seems a tad rude).
    Americanya? Sort of sounds like Americana?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    They wouldn't have a ship name. No way would Miss America put up with that.
    I also don't see Anya been fan of the ship name either... but embracing it just to mess with America. It would be her "Princess".

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Why "allegedly"?
    It's my understanding that he's supposed to be asexual but he uses sex as a weapon? I think I read that somewhere.

Gabriel Shepherd is gay? When was that stated?

We still haven't seen an out gay avenger haven't we? The young avengers don't count just yet because they're in training

Extraordinary Member

Has anybody brought up Victoria Montesi yet?

She was the lead character/ team leader in Marvel horror adventure book Darkhold.

Basically Vic and her team of occult experts would travel the world searching for
    pages of the cursed Darkhold (Marvel's answer to the Necronomicon).

While I know she was a Lesbian, I don't remember if she had a love interest in the book.

Given the kind of things that happened to people in that book, she wouldn't have been around
    for long in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    I also don't see Anya been fan of the ship name either... but embracing it just to mess with America. It would be her "Princess".
    I think Anya would be fine with a ship name. And yeah, she would totally use it to mess with America's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    We still haven't seen an out gay avenger haven't we? The young avengers don't count just yet because they're in training
    Nope. At least, no one who's been openly LGBT while on the team. A few came out after leaving the team. None have been invited back since they came out. Supposedly, one of Hickman's Avengers is LGBT, but so far, whoever it is is still in the closet. Which I think is pretty terrible. At this point, the Avengers practically have a Don't Ask Don't Tell policy. They'll take aliens, robots, they took the pair responsible for hundreds of thousands (or more) of deaths. But a guy who likes kissing other guys? No way, you've gotta keep that under wraps.

The Avengers are homophobes, is what I'm saying. And I'm being totally facetious, but still. Hickman's character should come out of the closet. Moondragon can be brought back. Or Living Lightning. Or have Hercules rejoin, and have him flirt with men and women alike. Or, hey, promote Striker up to the main team. Add in Jennifer Kale (who should be brought back anyway, she's cool). The closest the Avengers have had to an LGBT member so far was Victoria Hand - and it's worth noting that she was basically the secretary to the B-team, and most of them didn't actually like her.

So, yeah. I find it annoying that in 2014, we still have never had an openly LGBT Avenger.

Ultimate Member

Moondragon was an Avenger (albeit very briefly) and she's openly bisexual.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Moondragon was an Avenger (albeit very briefly) and she's openly bisexual.
    She came out after leaving the team. So did Living Lightning (who was a West Coast Avenger). Hercules' bisexuality was only alluded to after he died, and he hasn't been back on the team since then. There's never been someone on the Avengers who's been openly LGBT before or during the time they were a member. They only come out after they leave.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    With Noh-Varr specifically, wasn't his 'outing' through a comment about how he was on an exploration vessel and that that included exploring sexuality or something?
    Now just because he explored his sexuality and had same-sex encounters (for all we know only the once), doesn't mean he actually liked it.
    Personally, I don't consider his comment at the end of Young Avengers to be sufficient evidence of him being bisexual.
    The guy had three people in the past relationships support group thingy where all others only had one and all three were female.
    Yeah, at this point it is premature to call Noh-Varr bisexual. He's had at least some same-sex experience, but there are plenty of straight people who experiment with the same-sex, just as there are gay people who have had experiences with the opposite sex. Noh-Varr may yet turn out to be bisexual...but even if he is, he clearly is oriented more towards women than men.

My favorite surprise twist from Young Avengers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two questions:

1.Wasn't Storm shown to be bisexual at one point.

2.What happens if Mystique transforms into a man and has sex with a man? What if she transformed into a man and had sex with a woman? What is that considered exactly? What does that make her?... I wanna say, all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Brown View Post
    Two questions:

1.Wasn't Storm shown to be bisexual at one point.

2.What happens if Mystique transforms into a man and has sex with a man? What if she transformed into a man and had sex with a woman? What is that considered exactly? What does that make her?... I wanna say, all of the above.
    1. Unconfirmed so far. There was definitely strong hints that Storm and Yukio were an item, but it was never confirmed. I think it'd be great if Pak, in his new Storm ongoing, established Storm as pansexual, not caring at all about gender.

2. I would argue probably pansexual. She's willing to sleep with just about anyone, if she's in the mood.

Well... just because Daken and Mystique are villain/anti-hero, it doesn't mean they are not interesting. There's tons of LGBT heroes rather than LGBT villain. I can think of twenty straight villain from Marvel alone, but LGBT villain? Not even five. The problem with writing LGBT character is... if they don't fit "perfect human being" standard, people will complain how they give bad name to LGBT. I've been in fandom for years and read many comment about bisexual character.

1. Bisexual character that sleep with both men and women? Oh no! They give bad name to bisexual. Not all bisexual promiscuous!
    2. Bisexual character that only date or sleep with same sex? Oh no! They must be gay! Let him/her explore bisexuality by dating both men and women!
    3. Bisexual character that only date or sleep with opposite sex? Oh no! They must be straight! Let him/her explore bisexuality by dating both men and women!

I've read comment how they don't want Loki or Deadpool to be bisexual cause they give bad name to bisexual. But as soon as Prodigy, the hero, came out as bisexual, people still complain how he give bad name to bisexual because he kissed another people boyfriend (even though he apologized for the kiss immediately afterward). Some people also hate Northstar's husband, Kyle Jinadu, saying he's whiny and dude in distress. See? If Marvel are not writing LGBT as perfect little angel that never do anything wrong, people will complain. But as soon as there's "perfect, innocent" LGBT character, people will complain how unrealistic this character for not having flaw or real personality.

Bonus:

1. Gay character that have loving and supportive family, lover, and friends? Oh no! It's unrealistic! This is not fairy tales. Show him/her some hardship for being gay.
    2. Gay character that endure many hardship from family and friends? Oh no! Why cannot gay character have happy live? Etc etc etc

See? No win-win solution.
    Last edited by Kencana; 06-01-2014 at 04:02 AM.