View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 638 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 138538588628634635636637638639640641642648688738 ... LastLast
Results 9,556 to 9,570 of 16975

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    So, I was thinking... with the recent news of Disney having their first openly gay character on a movie and Disney XD airing a gay kiss, do you guys feel hopeful for what this could mean for Marvel in the movie and animation department?
    What news is this now?
    #EmmaWasRight

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    What news is this now?
    LeFou from Beauty And The Beast is gay. It was confirmed by the director himself.

And Disney XD aired a gay kiss on the show Star vs The Forces Of Evil:

So, I was thinking... with the recent news of Disney having their first openly gay character on a movie and Disney XD airing a gay kiss, do you guys feel hopeful for what this could mean for Marvel in the movie and animation department?
    Yeah, as far as LGBTQ+ characters in the Marvel films: I'll believe it when I see it. I'm inclined to think they Just Don't Care.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    As someone who is a BIG Nova fan, what is it about him that would want to make him trans or thinks that he would be trans? I mean, I do disagree with that option, but that's just me, as a fan of the character I'm very curious to know what elements about him and his story that would make someone want to do that, because I've hard a few people say that before.
    I don't think Visaggio actually explained why she thinks Sam would be trans. But I'd trust her to write the story in a way that does convincingly justify it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Yeah, as far as LGBTQ+ characters in the Marvel films: I'll believe it when I see it. I'm inclined to think they Just Don't Care.
    Well, while it wasn't technically in the movie, there was the Hogarth subplot in Jessica Jones. I mean, one could make the argument that that was bad in terms of representation because the relationship wasn't a happy one, or at least it imploded in on itself, but to be fair, no one gets to be happy in the Netflix Universe lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I don't think Visaggio actually explained why she thinks Sam would be trans. But I'd trust her to write the story in a way that does convincingly justify it.
    Ah I see. I only ask because I've heard that sentiment elsewhere before and I was curious if that was coming from a specific element in the book.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

LeFou from Beauty And The Beast is gay. It was confirmed by the director himself.

And Disney XD aired a gay kiss on the show Star vs The Forces Of Evil
    They also have a new show premiering sometime in April called Andi Mack that will allegedly feature a gay teen/pre-teen supporting character; and I think they are also involved in the Freeform show The Fosters. Despite that, I am not optimistic about LGBT representation in Marvel movies. They love that international markets excuse. I've also heard that the poorly concieved Le Fou revelation is not as explicit as the articles have suggested and is merely more subtextually queer villian trope.
    Last edited by Dante Milton; 03-18-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    They also have a new show premiering sometime in April called Andi Mack that will allegedly feature a gay teen/pre-teen supporting character; and I think they are also involved in the Freeform show The Fosters. Despite that, I am not optimistic about LGBT representation in Marvel movies. They love that international markets excuse. I've also heard that the poorly concieved Le Fou revelation is not as explicit as the articles have suggested and is merely more subtextually queer villian trope.
    I've heard from a few people about it...Let's just say if you were hoping for something actually meaningful, don't.

And Disney XD aired a gay kiss on the show Star vs The Forces Of Evil:
    In retrospect I read about the first one on Tumblr.
    Both of those cases are pathetic though. And neither is going to have any impact on whether or not Marvel includes LGBT characters in their movies or animation.
    #EmmaWasRight

Mighty Member

I doubt you'll see it in the animation department ever. But in all honestly, it's probably for the best, as Marvel's animation department is awful.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I've heard about that TV show too. Apparently the kid is one of the regulars, so that would be a first for Disney. Much more prominent than your typical ''one-episode guest gay to never be seen again'' type of character. I'm glad it seems like Disney TV is evolving. They already have shown characters like Angela and Aneka on their current Marvel animations, so I won't be surprised if there is some casual mention or glimpse of homosexuality there sooner or later.

As for the movies, yeah, I realize it's a much riskier business and I totally didn't expect Disney to portray their first LGBTQ character in a movie ever with the openness most LGBTQ people would want, but hey, to even put that there and openly state what it meant to the public was so much more than they've ever done before. It's a baby step, but it's a step in the right direction. If the box office continues to be doing as fine as it is despite all the controversy and boycott, I do believe this might be something they would be willing to do more and more often. And who knows, since it's all happening in the same company, I don't think it's far fetched to hope that it might inspire some confidence in Kevin Feige. He'll be seeing that it's worth the risk with his own eyes.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-18-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    In retrospect I read about the first one on Tumblr.
    Both of those cases are pathetic though. And neither is going to have any impact on whether or not Marvel includes LGBT characters in their movies or animation.
    It won't actually really be any progress unless the two lead characters are gay themselves. Minor or background characters ain't gone cut it honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    It won't actually really be any progress unless the two lead characters are gay themselves. Minor or background characters ain't gone cut it honestly.
    Only two lead characters is a bit much tbh. A regular supporting one is already enough for me, considering the circumstances.

I've heard about that TV show too. Apparently the kid is one of the regulars, so that would be a first for Disney. Much more prominent than your typical ''one-episode guest gay to never be seen again'' type of character. I'm glad it seems like Disney TV is evolving. They already have shown characters like Angela and Aneka on their current Marvel animations, so I won't be surprised if there is some casual mention or glimpse of homosexuality there sooner or later.
    Max Modell is going to be a supporting character for the new Spider-Man cartoon. He was actually one of the first characters revealed to be in it.

Though I have my doubts they'll address his sexuality at all. The Marvel cartoons these days generally abstain from showing any character having any kind of love life or romantic attraction to anyone unless they're Peter Quill, and they don't really focus much on the lives of supporting characters (if there are any).

Even a subtle allusion seems a bit too much to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Well, while it wasn't technically in the movie, there was the Hogarth subplot in Jessica Jones. I mean, one could make the argument that that was bad in terms of representation because the relationship wasn't a happy one, or at least it imploded in on itself, but to be fair, no one gets to be happy in the Netflix Universe lol.
    Agents of SHIELD also had Joey, a gay man, in a few episodes. Would've been nice if he'd stuck around, but hey, he was still an openly gay character. So the TV shows are willing to acknowledge that homosexuality exists. I see no reason to trust the movies to do so, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    Gay supporting characters is still progress, especially when it comes to kids' programming. There's still a tendency for any media with LGBTQ+ content to be bumped-up an age level, so a kids' show with a gay character would be rated as being for older kids, or for teens. So Disney including a gay supporting character in a kids' show is still progress. It's just not enough progress, and pressure needs to be kept up to push for kids' shows with gay leads.

Incredible Member

As far as Marvel Media representation of LGBT goes I'm more annoyed the Fox X-Men universe, hiring actors and a director on the LGBT spectrum and not once establishing any character as gay.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    As far as Marvel Media representation of LGBT goes I'm more annoyed the Fox X-Men universe, hiring actors and a director on the LGBT spectrum and not once establishing any character as gay.
    Add to that the fact that the X-Men franchise has most of Marvel's gay, lesbian and bisexual characters in it.

And since we're talking about LGBT characters in Marvel shows I'll mention that I've watched all of Iron Fist and while Hogarth plays a small role and appears in about 3 or 4 episodes her sexuality isn't referenced. And there's no other characters that are explicitly established as gay, lesbian or bisexual except for a female doctor who is shown ogling a pretty saleswoman. It's in a scene where three saleswomen use sex appeal to help sell their product.