View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
746. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

    26 3.49%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

    12 1.61%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

    20 2.68%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

    44 5.90%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

    36 4.83%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

    40 5.36%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

    43 5.76%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

    64 8.58%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

    39 5.23%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

    109 14.61%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

    60 8.04%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

    21 2.82%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

    37 4.96%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

    46 6.17%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

    149 19.97%
Page 7 of 981 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107507 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 14703
  1. #91
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    No I have not been - but you have me sold
    YEY! Enjoy!



    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Well, it may be that he's simply a hedonistic, sadistic bastard who likes making people do whatever he wants. Is he bisexual, or is sex simply a tool to him and he doesn't really care? I'm inclined to think a bit of both - he often uses sex as a tool, but I think he does also sometimes do it because it's fun.
    I think it's both; he IS bisexual (finding both men and women sexually attractive) BUT he will also use sex as a weapon on anyone (even if he doesn't find them appealing).

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Actually, I felt like Rob Williams was the first writer to show Daken get outright outplayed. He did eventually manage to get the better of that evil actor dude, but only after he'd been totally defeated first.

    However, Remender did have him getting played way too easily by Sabretooth. Sabretooth's not stupid, obviously, and he's spent the past few years being built up as a lot more clever than a lot of writers did with him. But even so, Daken probably shouldn't have been taken in so totally by Sabretooth.
    Agreed about Remender, but I'm not sure about Williams. I was disappointed in his work BUT I felt he gave enough justifcation as to WHY Daken was (at the start) out-played. Loss of healing factor, addicted to a drug, played by someone he didn't even register as a threat. He was taken by surprise and by the time he knew what was happening, was very weakened. Sabertooth CAN'T do that (like the Dark Avengers) Daken knows the score and would start playing from day one.





    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    There are quite a few comic book characters who have either off-handedly mentioned same-sex shenanigans past (such as Noh-Varr), but never shown the slightest interest in actually pursuing one (or shown any attraction in their own gender) who feel kind of 'iffy' to me to claim as representing anything other than lazy writing. Similarly, just because Deadpool has worn a woman's clothing once or twice, I'd hardly call him a transvestite, any more than I'd call Hawkeye a naturist because he's been naked a time or two before.
    Agreed, but "seeing conquests" isn't the only criteria. We've never seen Karma with a girlfriend to my knowledge, we NEVER saw Northstar with a boyfriend until Kyle showed up (already established as a long term boyfriend). All we can do is take the writers word on it, so in most cases for LGBT (who we know rarely get to kiss and almost NEVER are seen in bed together); a "fleeting mention" is all we'll get for now.

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Personally, I don't consider his comment at the end of Young Avengers to be sufficient evidence of him being bisexual.
    Gillen did comment on his blog that he enjoyed knowing from day one nearly all his cast was LGBT. I think that line was intended to be his "coming out." All the former girlfriends were pre-established; Gillen was only using what he had (plus it was created by Loki, so again it's what was "on record"). I don't think the fact none were men is bases to assume Noh-var's comments were more about "experimenting" than sexuality.

  2. #92
    Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    1. Unconfirmed so far. There was definitely strong hints that Storm and Yukio were an item.
    Such as ? I've read every Yukio appearance and I've never seen even a weak hint of such.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

  3. #93
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Agreed about Remender, but I'm not sure about Williams. I was disappointed in his work BUT I felt he gave enough justifcation as to WHY Daken was (at the start) out-played. Loss of healing factor, addicted to a drug, played by someone he didn't even register as a threat. He was taken by surprise and by the time he knew what was happening, was very weakened. Sabertooth CAN'T do that (like the Dark Avengers) Daken knows the score and would start playing from day one.
    The counter argument might be that Daken simply under-estimated Sabretooth, dismissing him as too much of a brute to be capable of out-thinking him. It wouldn't be the first time that Daken's own arrogance tripped him up. It doesn't make me like the fact that it happened any better, but it at least helps to justify it a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Agreed, but "seeing conquests" isn't the only criteria. We've never seen Karma with a girlfriend to my knowledge, we NEVER saw Northstar with a boyfriend until Kyle showed up (already established as a long term boyfriend).
    At least we never saw him with a confirmed official boyfriend. He DID have a boyfriend who had one or two little cameos in John Byrne's ALPHA FLIGHT run, but since Northstar was not officially out of the closet yet, he was never referred to as his boyfriend on-panel (but Byrne has confirmed that was the intent). Northstar also had a fling with Hector of the Pantheon, but we barely saw anything of that on-panel. They were shown flirting and enjoying each other's company at Rick Jones' wedding--and then they were later shown together in one of the Marvel Swimsuit Specials.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Gillen did comment on his blog that he enjoyed knowing from day one nearly all his cast was LGBT. I think that line was intended to be his "coming out." All the former girlfriends were pre-established; Gillen was only using what he had (plus it was created by Loki, so again it's what was "on record"). I don't think the fact none were men is bases to assume Noh-var's comments were more about "experimenting" than sexuality.
    I have to admit, I wasn't too shocked when Noh-Varr revealed he'd been with men (or at least one man). I had wondered about that since back in his brief DARK AVENGERS stint, when he told Moonstone that she was the "first human girl" he'd slept with. The fact that he'd specified "girl" rather than just "first human" made me wonder.

    But whether Noh is bisexual or simply did some experimenting will be up for later writers to more clearly define. It does sound like Gillen intended him to be bi (although apparently more oriented towards women than men), but it is still vague enough that a later writer could say it was a one-time thing, if they so decided.

  4. #94
    Mighty Member NexusTenebrare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    YEY! Enjoy!

    I really am liking the new Loki series. I wasn't much for JiM, but I'm quite fond of this series.
    And that 'creating slash on the internet' line is so hilarious.
    Who do we think Loki wrote slash about? Given the whole god of mischief thing, I'd say it almost certainly involved Thor. Maybe a nice Thor/Cap Am fic. Or Thor and the Warriors Three. XD

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I think it's both; he IS bisexual (finding both men and women sexually attractive) BUT he will also use sex as a weapon on anyone (even if he doesn't find them appealing).
    I'd agree with that. I don't get the impression from him that behind the whole sex as a weapon thing Daken is asexual.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Gillen did comment on his blog that he enjoyed knowing from day one nearly all his cast was LGBT. I think that line was intended to be his "coming out." All the former girlfriends were pre-established; Gillen was only using what he had (plus it was created by Loki, so again it's what was "on record"). I don't think the fact none were men is bases to assume Noh-var's comments were more about "experimenting" than sexuality.
    Even though I do follow comic news on the internet, I'm kind of the stance that canon should be able to be perceived without Word of God.
    If Hickman revealed his LGBT Avenger online, but never adressed it in the actual comics, I'd have a hard time accepting said character as LGBT. Not untill it was actually handled in a book by him or another writer anyway.

  5. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post
    Such as ? I've read every Yukio appearance and I've never seen even a weak hint of such.
    It was mostly subtext. In their first meeting, it wasn't much, but someone could definitely read something into it. In one of the '80s Annuals, Storm's dream life was to run around Tokyo with Yukio. And then there was the fetish story that was The Arena in Claremont's X-Treme X-Men, which ended with Storm, Yukio and a tentacle-armed Callisto in a hot tub.

    Any time two characters have a close friendship, people talk about them being lovers. But with Storm and Yukio, it really does genuinely seem like they might have been lovers.

  6. #96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Even though I do follow comic news on the internet, I'm kind of the stance that canon should be able to be perceived without Word of God.
    If Hickman revealed his LGBT Avenger online, but never adressed it in the actual comics, I'd have a hard time accepting said character as LGBT. Not untill it was actually handled in a book by him or another writer anyway.
    Agreed. If you say one of the characters in your book is LGBT, then you reveal it on-panel. You don't wait until after it's all said and done, and then say in an interview that a lot of your readers may never even see, "Oh, by the way, this character was LGBT."

  7. #97
    U Got Me Str8 Trippin Boo nj06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post


    I really like that pic. I love seeing Karolina Dean in her alien form and seeing other LGBT heroes like Hulkling and Anole.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

  8. #98
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,053

    Default

    Who's the one to Mystique's left, with the short black hair?

  9. #99
    Mighty Member NexusTenebrare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Who's the one to Mystique's left, with the short black hair?
    That would be Karma, I assume.

  10. #100
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    That would be Karma, I assume.
    Correct.
    Its clever of the artist to include a necklace that is reflective of her usual power signature.

  11. #101
    Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Any time two characters have a close friendship, people talk about them being lovers. But with Storm and Yukio, it really does genuinely seem like they might have been lovers.
    Well, yeah, Yukio is the friend with whom she can let her hair down and not be a goddess, an ex-queen or a mutant leader. 'roro repeatedly wishes she could be as free-wheeling as the Wild One and so on -- but I'm fairly good with subtext and I haven't seen the tail of one.

    Since that one has been floating around the net for close to 20 years, I strongly suspect that it's a remainder from Ye Darke Days back when there were few if any LGBT super-heroes and supporting cast. Back then the fans tended to jump at and cling to any remote, vague possibility based on almost nothing in the hope to *finally* have some representation.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

  12. #102
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    We still haven't seen an out gay avenger haven't we?
    Nope. The "best" we have is Hickman telling us one of his 30+ cast members is LGBT... and 24 issues later, we've heard no more on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Agreed. If you say one of the characters in your book is LGBT, then you reveal it on-panel. You don't wait until after it's all said and done, and then say in an interview that a lot of your readers may never even see, "Oh, by the way, this character was LGBT."
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Who's the one to Mystique's left, with the short black hair?
    [from left to right] Anole, Shatterstar, Rictor, Karma, Mystique, Northstar, Daken, Karolina, Xavin, Wiccan and lastly Hulkling.

    Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I really like that pic. I love seeing Karolina Dean in her alien form and seeing other LGBT heroes like Hulkling and Anole.
    Would love to commission the artist to add Loki, Benjamin Deeds, MAC, Lightspeed, Cullen and Prodigy (and take out Xavin). Need to save up funds/decide if it's worth it??? If everyone in this thread pulls together our resources, it'd be pretty cheap?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Has anybody brought up Victoria Montesi yet?
    She was the lead character/ team leader in Marvel horror adventure book Darkhold.
    Basically Vic and her team of occult experts would travel the world searching for
    pages of the cursed Darkhold (Marvel's answer to the Necronomicon).
    While I know she was a Lesbian, I don't remember if she had a love interest in the book.
    Given the kind of things that happened to people in that book, she wouldn't have been around
    for long in any event.
    Never heard of her, thank-you so much for this.

  13. #103
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,679

    Default

    I thought I heard someone say that Manifold would wind up being Hickman's appointed gay. Man, I wish I knew where I heard/read/saw that, and whether it was credible. SPECULATE! heh.


    Also, this was just a cute moment from the most recent Young Avengers run.

    I love that Miss America Chavez's continued referring to Kate as "Princess" proved to be a term of endearment, rather than what seemed to be mocking her "rich girl" status.
    Last edited by Fokken; 06-03-2014 at 04:23 AM.

  14. #104
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,679

    Default

    Fun detail from Gillen's tumblr about Miss America and her home:

    "The basics: Miss America is a Wonder Woman analogue. The Utopian Parallel is a Paradise Island analogue (i.e. isolated place solely populated by women). There’s obviously much more to it than that, but that’s very much the basics. America was my nod to the original YA plot, where a character who appears to be taking after one character is actually really taking after another."

  15. #105
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Has anybody brought up Victoria Montesi yet?
    She was the lead character/ team leader in Marvel horror adventure book Darkhold.
    Basically Vic and her team of occult experts would travel the world searching for
    pages of the cursed Darkhold (Marvel's answer to the Necronomicon).
    While I know she was a Lesbian, I don't remember if she had a love interest in the book.
    Given the kind of things that happened to people in that book, she wouldn't have been around
    for long in any event.
    Thought I'd "re-comment" with a link to her wiki page for anyone else interested in learning more about her. Again, awesome memory Vic

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Montesi


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •