View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
889. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.29%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.51%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.51%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.29%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

77 8.66%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.17%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.07%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.76%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

25 2.81%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.29%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.74%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.81%
Page 797 of 1130 FirstFirst ... 297697747787793794795796797798799800801807847897 ... LastLast
Results 11,941 to 11,955 of 16944
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Now that's a surprise! Is this the first time we get a trans character in a Marvel game? If so, that's really awesome. Gotta love how Squirrel Girl got so popular that even her obscure supporting cast is getting some recognition now.
    The game has the 'no FF or X characters' ban in full effect, so there really are some obscure people popping up. Most of them are totally useless or just model swaps (Chipmunk Hunk and Squirrel Girl are the same for example), but Koi Boy has sonic powers, making him a really useful character as that's a rare ability and you can get him easily and cheaply early in the game
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    So Christina Strain confirmed on Twitter that Bling! and Mercury are still dating. Apparently, they spent Valentine's Day dominating at laser tag.

Nate and Ben also had a date. And it sounds adorable, even if Nate pirated a movie (gasp!).
    That's adorable. Maybe she could make those tweets official cannon by having them added to the next GEN X trade paperback as bonus material? Just have the art team come up with a single panel image of each of the dates, and use the tweets as captions!

So Christina Strain confirmed on Twitter that Bling! and Mercury are still dating. Apparently, they spent Valentine's Day dominating at laser tag.

Nate and Ben also had a date. And it sounds adorable, even if Nate pirated a movie (gasp!).
    Ah the glorious social media access to our esteemed creative types at Marvel.
    Its silly but I wish that more writers would throw these off panel vignettes out into the ether like Strain did, just to give us enjoyable little pepperings every so often.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    That's kinda what I'm figuring. It seems really weird they'd introduce a new character and then kill her off a short time after she was introduced. I think someone got the idea to resurrect Phyla and that threw a wrench into whatever Marvel was planning with Avril.
    Maybe, but that doesn't really make sense either. Phyla wasn't Quasar when she died--she was Martyr. Avril should not have been an obstacle to bringing back Phyla--Phyla was a superhero both before and after her stint as Quasar; she doesn't need the quantum bands.

I find it weird that Marvel introduced Avril at all. I mean, they had already introduced "new gay female Quasar" in the form of Phyla just a few years earlier--and the very vocal fanbase of Wendell Vaughn fans made it clear that they wanted Wendell back. Not that they had anything against Phyla--they just didn't want her as Quasar. So Marvel brought back Wendell and gave Phyla a new identity.

So why on Earth would they go and get rid of Wendell again and replace him with another "new gay female Quasar" just a few years later?? Its such an odd coincidence that both of Wendell's successors as Quasar have been lesbians. (and when you add in all the speculation about Wendell also being LGBT--even by characters in-story--it makes you wonder if the quantum bands are only meant to be used by LGBT operators. Hmmm)

In any event I'm very pleased it looks like we're getting Phyla back...even if I'd prefer she get an identity of her own again rather than taking Wendell's legacy again (she and her brother both have a habit of taking hand-me-down codenames....).

BANNED

Avril's situation was quite weird. There was a little bit of promo before she became Quasar that seemed to indicate that Marvel was going to make a big deal out of her and then...::fizzle noise::

I'm quite disappointed how it all turned up.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

The weirdest thing about Avril to me is that her death didn't really happen in the main event, and we only got a SORT of confirmation because of a tie-in, written by a completely different writer, which stated that she ''sacrificed herself'', with no further explanation. And like, no one addressed this afterwards, so everyone just assumed she was dead. And of course, the fact she never showed up again probably made it easier to believe that. But I keep thinking: what if Nick Spencer wanted to leave things open enough for a possible return, and editorial sort of messed that up? How dumb would that be? The struggle of D-listers in comics is REAL.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 02-17-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Yeah, Avril's death just made no sense to me, on any level. I do not get it. What purpose did it serve? I can't say I was a big fan of her, but I hope she does show up again.

Astonishing Member

The weirdest thing about Avril to me is that her death didn't really happen in the main event, and we only got a SORT of confirmation because of a tie-in, written by a completely different writer, which stated that she ''sacrificed herself'', with no further explanation. And like, no one addressed this afterwards, so everyone just assumed she was dead. And of course, the fact she never showed up again probably made it easier to believe that. But I keep thinking: what if Nick Spencer wanted to leave things open enough for a possible return, and editorial sort of messed that up? How dumb would that be? The struggle of D-listers in comics is REAL.
    Yeah, that always bothered me about Avril's death. There is nothing in the SECRET EMPIRE issue where the "death" occurs to indicate that she died. It just shows her taking down the force-shield...and that's it. Nothing else is said about her. She is not shown or mentioned in the finale, where they acknowledge the deaths of other characters like Black Widow and Rick Jones.

I realize that part of the point of tie-ins is to go into deeper detail about events, and show stuff that there isn't room for in the main book--but come on. Surely Nick Spencer could have found room to confirm the death of a character he created, in an event that he wrote, when he gave her a key role in the climax of the story by being the one to bring down the shield. Her death feels somewhat tacked on to add a bit more weight to Stohl's CAPTAIN MARVEL tie-in issues so that she could have someone fall in battle without having to kill off any of her own regular supporting characters.

The whole thing was just so vaguely executed that I don't think it would be hard to bring her back. Unfortunately, I just don't think enough people care to make that happen. Spencer probably would, but who knows when or how he's going to get that opportunity, as he hasn't been writing much for Marvel post-SE.

I also didn't care much for the character, but I dislike just unceremoniously killing off queer characters like that (specially one who was in an interracial relationship, the kind of representation we need more of), so I'd support her returning.

The whole thing was just so vaguely executed that I don't think it would be hard to bring her back.
    "Avril! I thought you were dead!"
    "What? No. I went to the Bahamas with my girlfriend, then I was just dealing with some cosmic stuff. Why would you think I was dead?"
    "I mean, I just . . . I didn't see you, after all the fighting was over."
    "Yeah. Because I was in the Bahamas. I fought a bunch of aliens and then I took down a big shield around the entire planet. So, Bahamas."
    "Oh. Yeah, that . . . that makes sense. Um, I'm glad you're OK?"
    "Yeah, thanks. Anyway, I dropped by to let you know I'm getting married, and I'd invite you to the wedding, but that just guarantees there'd be an attack."
    "Oh, yeah, that is absolutely the right call to make. No, superhero weddings are the freaking worst. Never invite superheroes to your wedding."

OK, my scenario got away from me at the end. But yeah, that's basically all it would take. And honestly, I would love if something like that did happen, where an assumed-dead character says they were just in the Bahamas. "I'm entitled to a vacation, you know!" That would entertain me.

But anyway! The Week In Gay!

Ms. Marvel #27 has Zoe awesomeness. She's so great. I kinda want her to become a superhero. She's an inspiration.

X-Men Blue #21 has Iceman present, making a handful of comments, and otherwise not actually particularly mattering to the book at all.

Cable #154 has Shatterstar and Cable, even if their sexualities don't get addressed.

Avengers #680 has Lightning, Hercules, and Toni, but not a lot of any of them, it looks like. I hope Toni gets a more active role in the book. I think having her relegated solely to tech support would be a mistake.

Dr. Strange #385 has Loki. His sexuality and gender-nonconformity don't get brought up, as is usual with Loki.

And Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #29 has more Loki, once again no mention of his sexuality or fluidity, and some blink-and-you'll-miss them cameos from some gay characters, including Flatman and Doop.

Did I miss anything?

"Avril! I thought you were dead!"
    "What? No. I went to the Bahamas with my girlfriend, then I was just dealing with some cosmic stuff. Why would you think I was dead?"
    "I mean, I just . . . I didn't see you, after all the fighting was over."
    "Yeah. Because I was in the Bahamas. I fought a bunch of aliens and then I took down a big shield around the entire planet. So, Bahamas."
    "Oh. Yeah, that . . . that makes sense. Um, I'm glad you're OK?"
    "Yeah, thanks. Anyway, I dropped by to let you know I'm getting married, and I'd invite you to the wedding, but that just guarantees there'd be an attack."
    "Oh, yeah, that is absolutely the right call to make. No, superhero weddings are the freaking worst. Never invite superheroes to your wedding."

OK, my scenario got away from me at the end. But yeah, that's basically all it would take. And honestly, I would love if something like that did happen, where an assumed-dead character says they were just in the Bahamas. "I'm entitled to a vacation, you know!" That would entertain me.
    And then Avril would casually mention that she met Sera, who was also in the Bahamas, and promised her she would help her find her girlfriend Angela. There, two birds with one stone. The Bahamas should be the official go-to place to undo unwanted events from the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Maybe, but that doesn't really make sense either. Phyla wasn't Quasar when she died--she was Martyr. Avril should not have been an obstacle to bringing back Phyla--Phyla was a superhero both before and after her stint as Quasar; she doesn't need the quantum bands.

I find it weird that Marvel introduced Avril at all. I mean, they had already introduced "new gay female Quasar" in the form of Phyla just a few years earlier--and the very vocal fanbase of Wendell Vaughn fans made it clear that they wanted Wendell back. Not that they had anything against Phyla--they just didn't want her as Quasar. So Marvel brought back Wendell and gave Phyla a new identity.
    Well, apparently James Gunn hinted that Phyla might show up in the next GOTG film as Quasar (he posted a photo of a Quasar VCR). If that's true, it would make sense that Marvel would suddenly want to bring Phyla back as Quasar.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, because as everyone else said, Avril's death was handled in a very weird and offhanded way.

So why on Earth would they go and get rid of Wendell again and replace him with another "new gay female Quasar" just a few years later?? Its such an odd coincidence that both of Wendell's successors as Quasar have been lesbians. (and when you add in all the speculation about Wendell also being LGBT--even by characters in-story--it makes you wonder if the quantum bands are only meant to be used by LGBT operators. Hmmm)
    Spencer probably wanted to introduce his own new character, and someone thought making her a lesbian would squash any potential controversy that might arise from the narrative (true or not) that Marvel killed one of its lesbian heroes and replaced her with a straight girl. Obviously that's not really what happened, but you know how out of hand stuff like that can get on the internet.

And then Avril would casually mention that she met Sera, who was also in the Bahamas, and promised her she would help her find her girlfriend Angela. There, two birds with one stone. The Bahamas should be the official go-to place to undo unwanted events from the comics.
    I like the idea of the Bahamas becoming kind of a running gag regarding characters who drop into limbo.

Where's Reptil been since Avengers Arena? Recovering in the Bahamas.
    What's Pei been up to since Iron Fist ended? Self-training in the Bahamas.
    Why isn't Silk showing up anywhere any more? Got an actually-pretty-cool job in the Bahamas.

"Why the Bahamas?" someone may ask. "Why not?" I reply.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

So I made this thing

It was supposed to be for Valentine's Day, but it took longer than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    So I made this thing

It was supposed to be for Valentine's Day, but it took longer than expected.
    This is so great! Marvel has such awesome LGBT characters.