View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
889. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.29%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.51%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.51%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.29%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

77 8.66%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.17%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.07%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.76%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

25 2.81%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.29%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.74%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.81%
Page 8 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218581085081008 ... LastLast

Northstar fanart by the ridiculously talented Rey Arzeno.

So... you just made my day!

Also, here's a beautiful image from the same artist; very fitting for this thread.

Carrying over from the Northstar Appreciation Thread:

Three pages from X-Men: Curse of the Mutants - Storm and Gambit #1 by Chuck Kim and Chris Bachelo. This book was a gem in a ridiculous and best-forgotten event. It's particularly nice for it's treatment of Storm and some gorgeous single panels by Bachelo, and I recall it being received quite well overall. Darn shame that Kim never got more Marvel work.

But my primary point of interest here is the through-joke regarding Northstar, Dazzler, and Emma Frost.

When they run into the vampires for round 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Carrying over from the Northstar Appreciation Thread:

Three pages from X-Men: Curse of the Mutants - Storm and Gambit #1 by Chuck Kim and Chris Bachelo. This book was a gem in a ridiculous and best-forgotten event. It's particularly nice for it's treatment of Storm and some gorgeous single panels by Bachelo, and I recall it being received quite well overall. Darn shame that Kim never got more Marvel work.

THIS! Oh so much this! It was a brilliant issue, possibly the best one-shot I've ever read. Beautiful art, and yes Northstar was wonderful in it. I've actually been really enjoying him in Amazing X-men. I think Marjorie Liu, as wonderful as her work is, missed the "fun" of Northstar. YES, he's arrogant, YES he's rude, but he's also uber fun and playful. Such a great moment for him, I hope Kyle&Yost make him EPIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    THIS! Oh so much this! It was a brilliant issue, possibly the best one-shot I've ever read. Beautiful art, and yes Northstar was wonderful in it. I've actually been really enjoying him in Amazing X-men. I think Marjorie Liu, as wonderful as her work is, missed the "fun" of Northstar. YES, he's arrogant, YES he's rude, but he's also uber fun and playful. Such a great moment for him, I hope Kyle&Yost make him EPIC!!!
    Meh. He was never actually that much fun in Alpha Flight. He could be pretty amusingly sarcastic, but he was never really a "fun" character. I thought Liu got him a lot better than Aaron did. Of course, about all we know of his take on Northstar was that single scene. But still. Liu wrote Northstar much, much, much better. She also wrote a good Karma, though after that arc with her sister, Karma did unfortunately get sidelined a lot. And Liu still didn't give her a girlfriend. Poor Karma. She's had such a poor love life. She had feelings for Kitty, but Kitty didn't return them. So she flirted with the girl at the coffee shop, but it got blown up and the girl died. We saw her in bed with a woman in San Francisco, but that doesn't seem to have lasted, because not long after, in one of the Curse of the Mutants anthologies, we saw her flirting with a girl at a woman's gym, and the girl turned out to be a vampire.

Yeah, Northstar was good in that.
    He's a bit weird for me as a character. I quite like him when he's shown lighthearted with a sense of humour, but I get really turned off of him when he's dour and arrogant.
    It's weird, because it's not that I dislike dour, arrogant characters. I enjoy Quicksilver written that way, but not Northstar.

Yeah, Northstar's not one I think of as light-hearted and fun. I do think he can be funny in a brazen, see-how-many-fucks-I-give kind of way or when he's trying very hard to pretend he doesn't care, but he's really so intense and guarded that I think he works best as a foil in a more easy-going crew.

But I think that's what Kyle and Yost might be going for, even if the overall tone of the book is going to be humorous.

Last edited by Anduinel; 06-03-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Yeah, Northstar's not one I think of as light-hearted and fun. I do think he can be funny in a brazen, see-how-many-fucks-I-give kind of way or when he's trying very hard to pretend he doesn't care, but he's really so intense and guarded that I think he works best as a foil in a more easy-going crew.

But I think that's what Kyle and Yost might be going for, even if the overall tone of the book is going to be humorous.

Pixie is adorable there.

Ultimate Member

While it would make sense for Quicksilver to remain a bit arrogant and bitter, Northstar's life has looked up quite a bit since his Alpha Flight days, so him being written with a more lighthearted approach could be seen as a bit of character growth. He's out. He's in a relationship. He's no longer as emotionally wrapped up in his sister's drama. While the rest of Alpha were understandably put off by his attitude, he's got young people like Anole who actually look up to him, and the school itself considers him qualified to be a teacher and not 'washed up ex-athlete who probably cheated anyway,' which was kind of the sell he got from Mac to join Alpha Flight, followed by 'we need someone to keep an eye on your crazy twin.'

If Northstar is being written differently, then it's probably a good thing, because he's in a very different place, and *should* be on the road to being a different person.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    While it would make sense for Quicksilver to remain a bit arrogant and bitter, Northstar's life has looked up quite a bit since his Alpha Flight days, so him being written with a more lighthearted approach could be seen as a bit of character growth. He's out. He's in a relationship. He's no longer as emotionally wrapped up in his sister's drama. While the rest of Alpha were understandably put off by his attitude, he's got young people like Anole who actually look up to him, and the school itself considers him qualified to be a teacher and not 'washed up ex-athlete who probably cheated anyway,' which was kind of the sell he got from Mac to join Alpha Flight, followed by 'we need someone to keep an eye on your crazy twin.'

If Northstar is being written differently, then it's probably a good thing, because he's in a very different place, and *should* be on the road to being a different person.
    I think there's a difference between "not being openly antagonistic toward your half-dim teammates" and being written as a light-hearted character. I agree that Northstar has had some character growth since his AF days; he's a somewhat more approachable character and that makes sense. Where he was pretty much strongarmed into Alpha Flight (the sell he got from Mac was "hey, I know you're a mutant who's probably cheating to win" with an implicit threat to out him, followed by springing the revelation of Aurora's existance), Xavier's offered him a chance to do something that probably had more personal meaning for him as a former runaway -- offering a helping hand to rejected and/or confused kids. But also remember that he's been through a lot since coming to Xavier's too, including being killed and having his mind shattered so that he could be repurposed as a killer twice over. He's had the man he loves kidnapped and threatened multiple times. Half the kids on his squad died during the Purifier attack, repeating a pattern of those close to him dying or being killed while he's unable to stop it. That's not exactly light fare.

Even aside from that, though, I don't see current circumstances as a big enough change to alter some fundamentals of the character, like his being a stubborn individualist who trusts his own judgement first, eternally impatient, and having a deep investment in a life outside of the absurdity of the spandex set, making him something of the team outsider again. Even if his place in the world has changed somewhat, I don't think it's enough to have taken the sharp edges off of Jean-Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Meh. He was never actually that much fun in Alpha Flight. He could be pretty amusingly sarcastic, but he was never really a "fun" character. I thought Liu got him a lot better than Aaron did. Of course, about all we know of his take on Northstar was that single scene. But still. Liu wrote Northstar much, much, much better.
    My apologies, I didn't express myself right. Northstar isn't "fun" like Rockslide or Pixie; he's not 'the lovable rogue'; but his attitude, his arrogance IS fun (like Emma Frost or Moonstone). His thrill of adventure and danger (like Gambit) is fun. I guess it's more under Liu he wasn't 'enjoyable'. That's not the right word... ummm... his more introvert, downtrodden mentality (glass is half empty) is what I didn't like. Northstar should be too proud to let anyone see him down. If that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Pixie is adorable there.
    Not hugely surprisingly, the best Pixie writers are Kyle&Yost. Under them I adore her, under Fraction... just not right.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

With Marvel cosmic getting a push recently, I wonder if Phylla and Moondragon might reappear again......?
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    With Marvel cosmic getting a push recently, I wonder if Phylla and Moondragon might reappear again......?
    What happened to them anyhow?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    What happened to them anyhow?
    They were cosmically powerful female characters in Guardians of the Galaxy. Then Bendis starting writing it, so it was back to 'we have space for a non-powered assassin chick.'

I console myself with the thought that whatever they are doing, it's each other, and it's nothing that could be shown in a PG rated comic book.