View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 844 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 344744794834840841842843844845846847848854894944 ... LastLast
Results 12,646 to 12,660 of 16972

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidisish View Post
    What did everyone think of the Iceman solo series that just wrapped?
    Loved it, I’m sad that it’s over and would’ve liked to see some of the writer’s long term plans come into fruition. I think it did a good job at doing precisely what it set out to do; develop the psychology of Bobby Drake and get him to be more comfortable as a person and an X-Man. Seeing him fumble and succeed along the way was a lot of fun, and I don’t think there’s been an ongoing that explores themes of identity quite like this one. It was nice to finally see Bobby take center stage and see some resolution or development with a lot of his lingering plot threads such as why he’s constantly holding himself back and his fractured relationship with his parents (and how those concepts correlate). The series just really hit home with me and had a lot of heart and I really miss it, it was easily my favourite of the RessurXion books.
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Gay Franklin would be interesting. I cant see Marvel doing it, but yeah, I'd like to see it.
    That would be interesting. The fantastic four do have a diversity problem and Susan storm would totally make an awesome PFLAG member. Plus if they’re worried about the movie potential, we probably won’t see franklin for at least a decade if ever

Franklin would be a poignant choice to be revealed as LGBT, considering the thematic ways the character was utilized in the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Franklin would be a poignant choice to be revealed as LGBT, considering the thematic ways the character was utilized in the 80's

I always found this image to be scarily effective in its message. Like I know it's fictional but it feels strangely real, with the "mutie" smeared across his very young face.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    There have been a handful of other homophobic heroes over the years. Northstar had run-ins with a few during his time with the X-Men. During his first short-term stint there was Paulie Provezano, who was loudly and aggressively homophobic to Northstar at every opportunity. .
    Y'all, don't hate me, but I really enjoyed their interactions. Paulie was such a ****, but I enjoyed reading him. I'm not condoning that behavior, but it IS real and DOES happen, and I really enjoyed the antagonistic nature of their being on Jean's substitute X-Men team during that brief stint.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

When was Hulk anti-gay? During PAD's run when Hulk's old sidekick Jim Wilson got AIDS Hulk was shown then to not be anti-gay at all. The only homophobic thing I can think of in Hulk's history was the old Jim Shooter story where Bruce Banner was nearly raped by a pair of gay predators at the YMCA--but it wasn't Bruce/Hulk that was homophobic; it was Shooter's portrayal of the incident.

There have been a handful of other homophobic heroes over the years. Northstar had run-ins with a few during his time with the X-Men. During his first short-term stint there was Paulie Provezano, who was loudly and aggressively homophobic to Northstar at every opportunity. And during the Chuck Austen run when Northstar and Juggernaut were on the team together, Juggernaut also had some homophobic comments to make, although he wasn't as bad about it.

Nomad (Jack Monroe) was homophobic for a while after coming out of suspended animation (a product of the attitudes of his times), but he improved as time went by and he adapted to the modern era.
    I'm pretty sure that's what Silvermoth was referencing.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Silvermoth could've been also been referring to that character on the Pantheon who was anti-gay too.

Also you better abandon all hope with Dan Slott making Franklin and Torch LGBT.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

Yeah, after the whole Hercules business...

I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I don't remember Slott writing Herc.

I don't remember Slott writing Herc.
    He defended when Alonso said Herc 100% straight, in a way that got people upset. He made light of fan outrage at Herc's bi-erasure and said the equivalent of "there are plenty of other diverse characters to read" (not a direct quote) among other things.

He apologized afterwards and it seemed genuine, but because of it I doubt he'd ever do anything like out Johnny or Franklin as LGBT. It'd probably be out of his wheelhouse so it's likely for the best.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Y'all, don't hate me, but I really enjoyed their interactions. Paulie was such a ****, but I enjoyed reading him. I'm not condoning that behavior, but it IS real and DOES happen, and I really enjoyed the antagonistic nature of their being on Jean's substitute X-Men team during that brief stint.
    Ditto. I loved his attitude, and how he got pummeled by Northstar for it. (Which was probably pretty cathartic for Jean-Paul, too, since he could literally hit Paulie as much as he wanted to.)

I also like how, after getting his head handed to him, he was laughing and brushing it off, and stopped being a prat. He seemed just shallow enough that he probably considers Jean-Paul a friend now...

Now I want to see them do a 'fast ball special,' with Northstar accelerating him up to the speed of sound and throwing his invulnerable ass at someone.

Northstar - "You know this is going to hurt..." 'Omerta' - "That's why I knew you'd say yes."

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    I always found this image to be scarily effective in its message. Like I know it's fictional but it feels strangely real, with the "mutie" smeared across his very young face.
    A long lost time when Marvel actually used the X-Men and mutant themes in relevant ways

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    He defended when Alonso said Herc 100% straight, in a way that got people upset. He made light of fan outrage at Herc's bi-erasure and said the equivalent of "there are plenty of other diverse characters to read" (not a direct quote) among other things.

He apologized afterwards and it seemed genuine, but because of it I doubt he'd ever do anything like out Johnny or Franklin as LGBT. It'd probably be out of his wheelhouse so it's likely for the best.
    I'm not close to the biggest Dan Slott fan being a major Mary Jane/Spider-Marriage stan, and while I'm not defending his tin-eared comments on Herc's bi-erasure, you guys are being too hard on him here. For one, he made Max Modell an LGBT character when he didn't have to and I suspect because a few of us Spider-Fans were discussing online about how nice it would be for Peter to have LGBT friends and Max would be the perfect candidate as he was still a blank slate at the time (this was before Bobby came out).

Slott also was responsible for the very first gay wedding in Spider-Man comics (and just the second one in Marvel Comics after Northstar and Kyle's wedding).

I don't think he will have Johnny be LGBT (though never say never) but if he thinks Franklin is ready to have crushes and stuff and if someone suggested him the idea? I could see him doing it provided editorial is supportive.

There have been a handful of other homophobic heroes over the years. Northstar had run-ins with a few during his time with the X-Men. During his first short-term stint there was Paulie Provezano, who was loudly and aggressively homophobic to Northstar at every opportunity. And during the Chuck Austen run when Northstar and Juggernaut were on the team together, Juggernaut also had some homophobic comments to make, although he wasn't as bad about it.
    There was also Warbird's "hate the sin, tolerate the sinner" BS over Northstar and Kyle's wedding. And, less severely, some "I'm a progressive guy, but..." in the mouths of Puck and Havok regarding the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I also like how, after getting his head handed to him, he was laughing and brushing it off, and stopped being a prat. He seemed just shallow enough that he probably considers Jean-Paul a friend now...
    Nah, he was still being a jerk about it after. He accused Northstar of taking advantage of him while he was unconscious, and only thanked him when he realized JP had just saved his life.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 05-29-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    There was also Warbird's Shi'ar "hate the sin, tolerate the sinner" BS over Northstar and Kyle's wedding. And some "I'm a progressive guy, but..." in the mouths of Puck and Havok regarding the same.

Nah, he was still being a jerk about it after. He accused Northstar of taking advantage of him while he was unconscious, and only thanked him when he realized JP had just saved his life.
    Havok too? Was this in Astonishing?

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    Havok too? Was this in Astonishing?
    Yeah, let me grab the panel.

As someone pointed out, that's an... odd sentiment coming out of Alex, considering that his step-mom is an alien skunk and that (plus all the other weird **** around that family) didn't put pop and nana Summers in the heart attack ward. But hey, she's a female alien skunk, so maybe that goes down easier.