View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
889. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.29%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.51%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.51%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.29%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

77 8.66%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.17%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.07%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.76%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

25 2.81%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.29%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.74%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.81%
Page 846 of 1130 FirstFirst ... 346746796836842843844845846847848849850856896946 ... LastLast
Results 12,676 to 12,690 of 16944
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I don't know about that. Slott added the first openly LGBT characters to the Spider-Man supporting cast; Max Modell and his boyfriend (later husband) Hector. Slott also was the one who outed both Living Lightning and Flatman. I don't see any reason to think he would be opposed to including LGBT content or outing established characters.
    Wow, somehow I missed that Dan had already come into the thread and provided those exact same examples before I did. Pardon my utterly redundant self.... lol.

I guess I'll just have to toss in some other examples. Dan also created Crimson (head of SHIELD's magic ops) who was implied to be gay or bi based on his admiration of Agent Beefcake's physique. I also suspect that the shape-shifting process server Ditto may be somewhere on the queer spectrum (he seemed to have a preference for shape-shifting into female forms, etc) but that was never really confirmed one way or the other.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I don't know about that. Slott added the first openly LGBT characters to the Spider-Man supporting cast; Max Modell and his boyfriend (later husband) Hector. Slott also was the one who outed both Living Lightning and Flatman. I don't see any reason to think he would be opposed to including LGBT content or outing established characters.
    I wasn't saying Dan Slott was anti-LGBT but he's one of those writers who avoids major retcons.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Gee I wasn’t expecting Slott here, not sucking up but I loved his Spider-Man and silver surfer runs. I wonder why he came to this thread though? Did he do a search on his name or did someone dob us in? Or maybe he’s getting tips for franklin’s coming out scene

lol someone "snitched".
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 06-01-2018 at 09:59 AM.

By the by, Happy Pride Month, here's a sketch Meredith McClaren did a few weeks ago of Billy and Teddy.

DeJ5U2pU0AA2idE.jpg large.jpg

I kept forgetting to post it here. McClaren is one of my absolute favourite artists. Asexual, too, as I recall, so hey, even more fitting for this thread.

Speaking of which, I'd love it if Marvel had a character who was openly ace, stating it outright. I stand by my headcanon of Jubilee being ace.

But yeah, Happy Pride Month.

Happy Pride Month!! I'm going to a bunch of Prides this year and it'd be cool to run into any other gay comic nerds.

Catch me at LA Pride, San Francisco Pride, and, of course, San Diego Pride!
    I like boys, comics, Disney, and traveling. // follow me @ itsnickmen
    “Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Pride Month's first Week In Gay.

Ms. Marvel #30 has Zoe. Zoe! And she gets a girlfriend! Yay! I'm happy, Zoe's so good.

X-Men Blue #28 has some Daken. He's not particularly interesting here.

X-Men Red Annual has, like, a panel of Iceman. We don't really get anything in the way of Jean reacting to Iceman being gay, but it's safe to assume she was happy for him.

Lockjaw #4 had D-Man. Not sure if it has any more references to his ex.

Spider-Gwen #32 had MJ and Glory sleeping together. So I assume they're dating. So maybe speculation about MJ having a thing for Gwen weren't too far off.

Did I miss anything?

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

HAHA, I love that Dan Slott came in to slap down the bitching about him.

I absolutely love when creators come and engage, hope he comes back if he does do any LGBT stuff in FF
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Happy Pride Month, y'all! Still disappointed that we don't have an LGBTQ-led book to look forward to this month like last year, but oh well... Let's hope the overall content will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Pride Month's first Week In Gay.

Ms. Marvel #30 has Zoe. Zoe! And she gets a girlfriend! Yay! I'm happy, Zoe's so good.

X-Men Blue #28 has some Daken. He's not particularly interesting here.

X-Men Red Annual has, like, a panel of Iceman. We don't really get anything in the way of Jean reacting to Iceman being gay, but it's safe to assume she was happy for him.

Lockjaw #4 had D-Man. Not sure if it has any more references to his ex.

Spider-Gwen #32 had MJ and Glory sleeping together. So I assume they're dating. So maybe speculation about MJ having a thing for Gwen weren't too far off.

Did I miss anything?
    Oh God, I love the idea of Gwen and MJ, I wish it could’ve happened
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan615 View Post
    Oh God, I love the idea of Gwen and MJ, I wish it could’ve happened
    Will I be the first one to joke that Gwen and MJ don't need no Peter in their life?

Yes I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Happy Pride Month, y'all! Still disappointed that we don't have an LGBTQ-led book to look forward to this month like last year, but oh well... Let's hope the overall content will be good.
    Well hey, maybe Marvel will take advantage of this being Pride Month to announce a comic that will feature a trans hero in a major role.

Ha! I could barely keep a straight face through that. Nah, they'll honour Pride Month with a pic of cishet heroes in front of a Pride flag, the same way they always honour the LGBTQIA+ community. Actually acknowledging their gay characters never seems to occur to them.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    HAHA, I love that Dan Slott came in to slap down the bitching about him.

I absolutely love when creators come and engage, hope he comes back if he does do any LGBT stuff in FF
    There's some speculation an advertised annoucnement from Johnny deals with his sexuality.

So! With it being Pride Month and all, can we pool our brains and make a list of not only LGBT+ characters, but their current status? I have been doing some thinking on this and...I am less than happy, and am hoping you wonderful folks can help shed some light on some GOOD information.

I'll start with just the names on the poll at the top of the thread:

Anole: Wallpaper, at best. Shows up when the X-Men need background students/cannon fodder for their latest extinction story.
    Bling!: One of the central characters of the new Gen X. Now that its over, relegated to background/cannon fodder status. Again.
    Cullen Bloodstone: Has he even been seen in the "All New, All Different!!!" Era...?
    Daken: Currently a central figure in X-mart Blue. Sexuality untouched upon.
    Hulkling: Missing, no plotline since he and Wiccan moved in together.
    Karma: Seems important in New Mutants: Lost Souls, but likely will be relegated to background again, if she isn't dead or evil at the end.
    Karolina Dean: prominent in the new Runaways, with relationship issues an important component of her storyline. One of a very few characters I can stay positive about, for now.
    Loki: I have previously stated my apparently unpopular opinion that, until they show Loki as something OTHER than a straight guy who dresses in drag occasionally and sort of hit on a guy one time, I don't personally consider him 'family'. He has apparently self-identified as genderqueer in Squirrel Girl, but...*Shakes head* Anyway, mythologically IRL, Loki is pansexual, so I guess he still counts. He has the benefit of Odin telling Loki that he 'loves his sons, and his daughter', which was nice, while it lasted. Of course, Odin is back to being a shitty person and awful parent so...Anyway, Loki is pretty prominent, right now, but...I still don't really see how hes representation, as written.
    Moondragon: Not dead, like I had thought. Just in limbo. Like so, so many others.
    Mystique: prominent in Astonishing X-men. Sexuality unremarked upon, except that she tried - again... - to seduce a male - again... - teammate, if I recall...
    Northstar: He and his cardboard cutout husband have not done a thing since getting married. At least he isn't getting killed off multiple times a month, anymore.
    Prodigy: Support character, seen once in a while. Sexuality unreferenced since Young Avengers. Edit: Portrayed as a mostly passive weakling (a common trope associated with non-straight males) when he does show up, but...he's smart, so...
    Rictor: Appears to have broken up with his long time lover off-screen and looks to be getting fridged in Lost Souls.
    Shatterstar: Appears to have broken up with his long time lover off-screen. Showed up in an two word cameo in Lost Souls. Was a joke in Deadpool 2, got killed off quick.
    Wiccan: Missing. No plotline since moving in with Teddy. Edit: An older, AU version of him DID appear in the pages of Doctor Strange, for whatever that's worth.

And I'll add a few:

Julie Power: Currently appearing in Runaways, with her relationship with Karolina getting pretty major focus.
    Angela: Missing. Edit: Soon appearing in the pages of ASGUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! Might we also be seeing Sera and Leah return...?
    Sera: Seemingly erased from canon. Has not been seen since the end of Angela: Queen of Hel, and hasn't been mentioned (and even then it was CLEARLY begrudging, to placate fans) since the end of Civil War 2. Edit: Cullen Bunn has apparently stated that he has plans for Sera, so this is great news!
    Martyr: Dead, the only death I can think of from the Annihilation era that hasn't been undone. Edit: She MIGHT be coming back. We shall see.
    Pod: Depowered. Unlikely to get much air time now. Edit: Apparently soon to be appearing in a new SHIELD team, with Leonardo DaVinci!
    Toni Ho: I think she is in Iron Man 600? No clue about her future, but she isn't as well known as most of the characters on this list, so...not a lot of hope. Edit: Apparently soon to be appearing in a new SHIELD team, with Leonardo DaVinci! May bring Pod/Aikku along as well.
    Koi Boi: I don't read Squirrel Girl, but I think he's still around?
    ADULT Iceman: Appears in both X-men Blue and Gold. Barely doing anything, but possibly getting a boyfriend in the new Pyro. Remains to be seen.
    TEEN Iceman: Romeo ghosted him. Currently, little better than a background character in his own title. He has to return to his proper timeline soon, but to do so without messing things up, he qill have to lose his 'upgrades' like the rest of the team, which means he will be forced back into the closet, most likely...
    MISS America Chavez: Was a popular character and a heavy hitter. Had a crappy solo. Has anyone seen her since? Edit: It was pointed out to me that she is in the upcoming West Coast Avengers. Something positive!
    Benjamin Deeds: Background/cannon fodder at best, since Gen X ended.
    Nathaniel Carver: Background/cannon fodder at best, since Gen X ended.
    Greymalkin: Background/cannon fodder at best, since he was created.
    Romeo: Ghosted Teen Iceman. Not seen since. Most likely to show up as cannon fodder in Death of the Inhumans.
    Striker: Background/cannon fodder at best since Avengers Academy ended. Edit: Apparently soon to be appearing in a new SHIELD team, with Leonardo DaVinci!
    D-man: Dead as of Venomized, alive in Lockjaw. Who the hell even knows, since Marvel doesn't seem to care about continuity or coherent timelines anymore. Edit: It has been pointed out to me that since Dennis had powers in Venomized, but didn't in Lockjaw, Venomized must take place before Lockjaw. But given the sloppiness of Marvel Editorial, and Cullen Bunn unequivocally saying that those who died in Venomized are D-E-D dead...who the hell knows?
    Living Lightning: Major player in Avengers recent event story. Even saved the world! Not seen in any solicits since.
    Raz Malhotra: Is...he still Giant Man? Has he been seen at all recently...? Edit: Apparently, he recently appeared in the pages of Deadpool.
    Flatman: Still a joke.
    Machinesmith: Has he been seen recently...?
    Leah: seemingly erased alongside Sera. Maybe her, Sera and Angela are off having adventures in whatever comic universe Angela turns up in next. A boy can dream... Edit: Angela is back soon, Sera looks to be returning as well, so maybe there's hope for a little Hel, too?
    Sway: No references in any solicits, but might show up in the Death of the Inhumans thing coming up. Prolly cannon fodder, though.
    /Panacea/Ash: Same as Sway.
    Victoria Hand: Is she still alive? Has she been seen recently? Edit: Nope. She died in a Bendis story that had precisely zero impact on anything...
    Hercules: Same boat as Loki, but somehow worse. At least he had an alternate reality version of himself, who lived and loved openly... Mythologically bisexual IRL, Marvel hetted him up because manly men can't be anything less than straight, but unlike Loki, any in universe references to Herc's sexuality are literal jokes or alternate realities that don't matter, rather than being seriously acknowledged.
    Ultimate Colossus: Who even knows...probably dead, but since the UU is back...maybe not dead?
    Ultimate Northstar: Same...
    Deadpool: Any references to non-het sexuality are jokes. Doesn't count, as far as I am concerned, but...like Loki, I am sure that opinion isn't terribly popular.
    Illyana: Head-canon for many fans is that she is Ace. For others, she is a clear lesbian. How likely are we to ever see that acknowledged in universe, though?
    Quasar: Avril got eaten by a Chitauri leviathan in her first major story. Didn't die, but was in a coma for pretty much the entire event. Woke up and broke Hydra's barrier around earth. Disappeared. Edit: She didn't just disappear, she died in Mighty Captain Marvel #8, in October of last year.
    Max Modell: Supporting character, big fella, and fine with it. In a committed, healthy relationship. One of a very few good representations of both queer presence and body positivity on this list, and comic books in general, period.
    Ayo & Aneka: Support characters, in general, but quite prominent in Wakanda-adjacent tales.
    Valkyrie: Exiles versioncClearly likes the ladies, and unlike her movie version, is allowed to express and possibly *GASP!* act on it. Edit: Original flavor Val is soon to appear in ASGUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY alongside Angela and possibly Sera. Yay!
    Gabby/Honey Badger: The clone of a gender-swapped clone of Wolverine, Gabby has expressed feelings for a 'girl on a bus' that she wants to take some time to process. Possibly the youngest queer character currently, and pretty positive, to boot. So far.
    Zoe & Alanna: Supporting characters in Ms. Marvel, which I don't read, so can anyone give mart more deets?
    Mercury: Last appeared in the recent Gen X, dating BLING! Unsure about her future, but I'll put her down as background student/cannon fodder until the writers stop murdering children to score cheap drama points.
    Leonardo DaVinci: History's greatest queer, IRL. Very, very unlikely to be addressed in universe. Edit: Apparently soon to be appearing in a new SHIELD team!

So...yeah. not looking too great, Marvel. Are you really so scared of homophobes and religious zealots? Are things REALLY this ridiculous? Please, folks...give me some good news, here...
    Last edited by zinderel; 06-07-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    So! With it being Pride Month and all, can we pool our brains and make a list of not only LGBT+ characters, but their current status? I have been doing some thinking on this and...I am less than happy, and am hoping you wonderful folks can help shed some light on some GOOD information.

I'll start with just the names on the poll at the top of the thread:

Anole: Wallpaper, at best. Shows up when the X-Men need background students/cannon fodder for the latest extinction story.
    Bling!: One of the central characters of the new Gen X. Now that its over, relegated to background status. Again.
    Cullen Bloodstone: Has he even been seen in the "All New, All Different!!!" Era...?
    Daken: Currently a central figure in X-mart Blue. Sexuality untouched upon.
    Hulkling: Missing, no plotline since he and Wiccan moved in together.
    Karma: Seems important in New Mutants: Lost Souls, but likely will be relegated to background again, if she isnt dead or evil at the end.
    Karolina Dean: prominent in the new Runaways, with relationship issues an important component of her storyline. One of a ver few characters I can stay positive about, for now.
    Loki: I have previously stated my apparently unpopular opinion that, until they show Loki as something OTHER than a straight guy who dresses in drag occasionally, I don't personally consider him 'family', but mythologically, Loki is pansexual, so I guess he still counts. He has the benefit of Odin telling Loki that he 'loves his sons, and his daughter', which was nice, while it lasted. Of course, Odin is back to being a shitty person and awful parent so...Anyway, Loki is pretty prominent, right now, but...I still don't really see how hes representation, as written.
    Moondragon: Still dead, unlike everyone else who died in the Annihilation stories.
    Mystique: prominent in Astonishing X-men. Sexuality unremarked upon, except that she tried - again... - to seduce a male - again... - teammate, if I recall...
    Northstar: He and his cardboard cutout husband have not done a thing since gwtting married. At least he isnt getting killed off multiple times a month.
    Prodigy: Support character, seen once in a while. Sexuality unreferenced since Young Avengers.
    Rictor: Broke up with his long time lover off-screen and getting fridged in Lost Souls.
    Shatterstar: Broke up with his long time lover off-screen. Showed up in an unspeaking cameo in Lost Souls, was a joke in Deadpool 2, got killed off quick.
    Wiccan: Missing. No plotline since moving in with Teddy.

And I'll add a few:

Angela: Missing.
    Sera: Seemingly erased from canon.
    Martyr: Along with Moondragon, still dead, the only two deaths I can think of from the Annihilation era that haven't been undone.
    Pod: Depowered. Unlikely to get much air time now.
    Toni Ho: I think she is in Iron Man 600? No clue about her future, but she isnt as well known as most of the characters, so...not a lot of hope.
    Koi Boi: I don't read Squirrel Girl, but I think he's still around?
    ADULT Iceman: in both X-men Blue and Gold. Barely doing anything, but possibly getting a boyfriend in the new Pyro. Remains to be seen.
    TEEN Iceman: Romeo ghosted him. Currently, little bettervthan a background character in his own title. He has to return to his proper timeline soon, but to do so without messing things up, he qill have to lose his 'upgrades' like the rest of the team, which means he will be forced back into the closet, most likely...
    MISS America Chavez: Was a heavy hitter. Had a crappy solo. Has anyone seen her since?
    Benjamin Deeds: Background/cannon fodder at best, since Gen X ended.
    Nathaniel Carver: Background/cannon fodder at best, since Gen X ended.
    Greymalkin: Background/cannon fodder at best.
    Romeo: Ghosted Teen Iceman, not seen since. Most likely to show up as cannon fodder in Death of the Inhumans.
    Striker: Background/cannon fodder at best since Avengers Academy ended.
    D-man: Dead as of Venomized, alive in Lockjaw. Who the hell knows, since Marvel doesn't seem to care about continuity or coherent timelines anymore.
    Living Lightning: Major player in Avengers recent event story. Even saved the world! Not seen in any solicits since.
    Raz Malhotra: Is...he still Giant Man? Has he been seen at all recently...?
    Flatman: Still a joke.
    Machinesmith: Has he been seen recently...?
    Leah: seemingly erased alongaide Sera. Maybe her, Sera and Angela are off having adventures in whatever comic universe Angela turns up in next.
    Sway: No references in any solicits, but mart show up in the Death of the Inhumans thing coming up. Prolly cannon fodder, though.
    Victoria Hand: Is she still alive? Has she been seen recently?
    Hercules: Same boat as Loki, but at least he had a gay alternate reality version of himself... Mythologically bisexual, Marvel hetted him up because manly men can't be anything less than straight, but unlike Loki, any in universe references to Herc's sexuality are literal jokes, rather than being seriously acknowledged.
    Ultimate Colossus: Who even knows...
    Ultimate Northstar: Same...
    Deadpool: Any references to non-het sexuality are jokes. Doesn't count, as far as I am concerned, but...like Loki, I am sure that opinion isn't terribly poplular.
    Illyana: Head-canon for many fans is that she is Ace. How likely are we to ever see that acknowledged opin universe, though?
    Quasar: Avril got eaten by a Chitauri leviathan in her first major story. Didnt die, but was in a coma for pretty much the entire event. Woke up and broke Hydra's barrier around earth. Disappeared.
    Leonardo DaVinci: History's greatest queer, IRL. Very, very unlikely to be addressed in universe.

So...yeah. not looking too great, Marvel. Are you really so scared of homophobes and religious zealots? Are things REALLY this ridiculous? Please, folks...give me some good news, here...
    America is going to be in the new West Coast Avengers book by Kelly Thompson, so there is that...
    There's also Julie Power who's currently appearing in Runaways.

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    America is going to be in the new West Coast Avengers book by Kelly Thompson, so there is that...
    There's also Julie Power who's currently appearing in Runaways.
    Oh, right! I forgot about that new WCA. I'll update my list! Thanks!
    And I also forgot Julie, and will add her as well.

I am hoping for more positive stuff I have forgotten, but don't hesitate to share the less than stellar stuff, so we can have a complete, accurate list!
    Last edited by zinderel; 06-02-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Prodigy: Support character, seen once in a while. Sexuality unreferenced since Young Avengers.
    He's support character in New Mutants, but he still gets that stupid 'nerd who doesn't know how to fight" characterization he had in America.