View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 894 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 394794844884890891892893894895896897898904944994 ... LastLast
Results 13,396 to 13,410 of 16972
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Daken is spoilers:
    back from the dead and apparently mind controlled in Return of Wolverine #2. He fights and gets beaten (again) by his brainwashed (again) daddy.
    end of spoilers
    I'm so tired of that endless cycle Daken is stuck in. Incredibly frustrating that the character development in other titles like All-New Wolverine is undone. I don't need more Logan VS Daken. If they want antagonists for Wolverine, then Sabretooth, Omega Red, Lady Deathstrike, Donald Pierce, Shogun, Doctor Rot etc. should be his Rogues Gallery.

I'd sooner have a morally compromised Daken crossing paths with X-Force, X-23 and Honey Badger

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Daken is spoilers:
    back from the dead and apparently mind controlled in Return of Wolverine #2. He fights and gets beaten (again) by his brainwashed (again) daddy.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It was pretty obvious that he wasn't going to stay dead. The Hunt for Wolverine mini he "died" in was the one that revealed that Soteira soldiers are dead folks they've revived and brainwashed like Graydon Creed or Lord Dark Wind.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Hela is a messy situation. Leah and her are supposedly the same person, and the latest Leah incarnation we've had in the MU (the one who appeared in Secret Wars and Angela: Queen Of Hel) was queer. But I THINK that Leah is not exactly the same Leah that was sent to the past and is destined to become Hela... she was created by Kieron Gillen, though, the same writer who created original Leah and established that second Leah (gotta lota how he just went around creating a bunch of Leahs) and Hela might be the same person. And Gillen loves some LGBTQ inclusion, so it's possible he always intended any version of Leah to be queer.

TL;DR - Hela may or may not be LGBTQ.
    So this is new!! And gay!

I was wondering... can we consider Leah of Hel as a LGBT character or not? And I'm saying this bc all the weird Battleworld stuff and considering that the Leah in 616 is the same Leah of the Battleword dimension.
    PS: Does anyone know if I can make a thread appreciation of Leah? Bc there's a Hela thread but idk.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I didnt think that Leah was the same Leah? I got very confused by all that Battleworld stuff. I completely lost who was who, and where they were from or have gone
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post
    I thought that plot twist was great, but I'm not sure if I'm counting as canon confirmation of Hela's sexuality, since it was a marriage by convenience and not feelings. Her comment about the honeymoon was amusing, though, and I do like to think that this is Hela hinting she would be up for some violent gay sex. lol

I was wondering... can we consider Leah of Hel as a LGBT character or not? And I'm saying this bc all the weird Battleworld stuff and considering that the Leah in 616 is the same Leah of the Battleword dimension.
    PS: Does anyone know if I can make a thread appreciation of Leah? Bc there's a Hela thread but idk.
    The Leah that was in a relationship with AU Magik can definitely be considered queer. I mean, if being in a same-sex relationship doesn't make you a part of the LGBTQ community, I don't know what does.

And I'm pretty sure you can make a Leah thread if there isn't one already. I mean, it's true that one of the Leahs is supposed to be a younger Hela, but I think they are different enough characters to warrant separate threads, specially considering the AU version of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I didnt think that Leah was the same Leah? I got very confused by all that Battleworld stuff. I completely lost who was who, and where they were from or have gone
    The Leah from Angela: Queen Of Hel and Secret Wars are the same person. That was explained in the Angela book.

Has D-Man shown up anywhere else since the Lockjaw mini? I'm late but I saw Brevoort say D-Man didn't die despite Cullen Bunn claiming he did.
    Last edited by Holt; 10-27-2018 at 10:05 PM.

I thought that plot twist was great, but I'm not sure if I'm counting as canon confirmation of Hela's sexuality, since it was a marriage by convenience and not feelings. Her comment about the honeymoon was amusing, though, and I do like to think that this is Hela hinting she would be up for some violent gay sex. lol
    Hahaha yeah.

The Leah that was in a relationship with AU Magik can definitely be considered queer. I mean, if being in a same-sex relationship doesn't make you a part of the LGBTQ community, I don't know what does.

And I'm pretty sure you can make a Leah thread if there isn't one already. I mean, it's true that one of the Leahs is supposed to be a younger Hela, but I think they are different enough characters to warrant separate threads, specially considering the AU version of the character.
    I love Leah (any version of her) so I think I'll make a thread. Thanks!!

Mighty Member

So, I finally got to watch Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors. It was a nice animation. Even though the one moment showing America's moms was very nice, there is no mention of America being gay herself, and there's also no mention of the Demiurge being the maker of her world. Minor spoilers ahead: I actually thought her world seemed quite generic and different from the Utopian Parallel from the comics. I mean, she mentioned they had inhumans there, which seems to contradict the comic book idea that the UP was a unique place with inhabitants unlike any other in the multiverse. I wouldn't be surprised if the Demiurge doesn't exist at all in the animation, unfortunately.

Oh, there was also this nice moment, before we find out her origins, in which she sees a lesbian couple with a baby passing by, and she's momentarily hurt by that. I loved how that was portrayed.
    The fact that America's orientation wasn't shown makes me think of an unpleasant reminder I had recently that some people still consider gay relationships as "adult" content. Not gay relationships portraying sex or any other adult themes, just a normal teenage gay relationship. My store has books in the tween section that features gay characters (because we are sane adults) and a customer came in with a copy of Ms Marvel she had bought for her kid. She was upset that it has gay characters and thought that was enough to preclude it from being in the tween section. I know intellectually that those people still exist but it was unnerving to see one in person.

Of course maybe America will be explored and portrayed as gay in the future, and obviously it isn't necessary to identify everyone right away. But that experience made me consider if Marvel/Disney will shy away from America because of the people that would object on the grounds of gayness being "adult" content.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    The fact that America's orientation wasn't shown makes me think of an unpleasant reminder I had recently that some people still consider gay relationships as "adult" content. Not gay relationships portraying sex or any other adult themes, just a normal teenage gay relationship. My store has books in the tween section that features gay characters (because we are sane adults) and a customer came in with a copy of Ms Marvel she had bought for her kid. She was upset that it has gay characters and thought that was enough to preclude it from being in the tween section. I know intellectually that those people still exist but it was unnerving to see one in person.

Of course maybe America will be explored and portrayed as gay in the future, and obviously it isn't necessary to identify everyone right away. But that experience made me consider if Marvel/Disney will shy away from America because of the people that would object on the grounds of gayness being "adult" content.
    I get where you're coming from, but if the point here was about queerness only being allowed as an adult thing, then one could argue it'd have no place in this show at all, which is aimed at a younger audience. I mean, yes, the only queer people we saw on the show were adults, but by adding queer characters at all, knowing its audience, the show is making a statement to kids. And you can bet there ARE people who are bothered by those characters, even if they're adults. I saw it on comment sections myself. LGBTQ representation is just something that bothers some people no matter how it's portrayed; that is the harsh reality.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post

Wait. What am I looking at? I don't read Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Wait. What am I looking at? I don't read Thor.
    Hela had to marry Balder to keep peace in Hel and unite it against Sinder, queen of Muspelheim.
    In the end Karnilla took Balder's place to save him. Karnilla and Balder are in love, neither likes Hela. This scene is not an LGBT moment.
    #EmmaWasRight

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

The Leah from Angela: Queen Of Hel and Secret Wars are the same person. That was explained in the Angela book.
    Ah, that'll be why. I gave up on that book. While it was very pretty, the story just descended for me.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Mighty Member

I get where you're coming from, but if the point here was about queerness only being allowed as an adult thing, then one could argue it'd have no place in this show at all, which is aimed at a younger audience. I mean, yes, the only queer people we saw on the show were adults, but by adding queer characters at all, knowing its audience, the show is making a statement to kids. And you can bet there ARE people who are bothered by those characters, even if they're adults. I saw it on comment sections myself. LGBTQ representation is just something that bothers some people no matter how it's portrayed; that is the harsh reality.
    I hear you and see what you're saying. Your post made me think of that experience, even though it isn't a completely straight line between the two and the two aren't exactly the same. I'm giving the show time and choosing to believe that they won't ignore America's sexuality. I agree that having her parents shown as queer sends a positive message to the kids watching, and if they were truly going to straight-wash the show they wouldn't have shown her parents as gay.

It was just seeing one of those people who object to any non-straight representation in real life was an unpleasant experience and I was sharing partly (probably mostly) to vent and partly to remind (although I doubt there are any here who need the reminder) that those people do exist. It's one thing to read things online where there's so much terribleness that a lot of it blends together, it was another to see that kind of... I'm struggling to find the word... I'll just call it belief system.. live in person.

Hello my wee sausages. I'm looking to revamp the OP lists; was considering listing things via LGBT+ status (i.e. Lesbian, gay, bi, etc), rather than just bunk everyone as LGBT+. I think it will help to highlight how few trans characters we have, and make it worthwhile/useful to help still supporting the community. BUT... that's not an easy task. I know Dermie is a fount of knowledge, but anyone is welcome to help categorise.

ON A POSITIVE NOTE: when this thread first began on old-CBR, it was actually still very possible to list every LGBT+ character, every LGBT+ kiss, etc. Now it's actually a lot harder, and I think that's amazing to know in just 10 years we have gone from (pretty absent bar a few comics -- mostly X-men comics); to actually being in a good numbers of comics every month. I mean we have a weekly "this week in gay", and we could NEVER have had that ten years ago (as most weeks would be "no-one appeared"). So yey... major progress.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Hello my wee sausages. I'm looking to revamp the OP lists; was considering listing things via LGBT+ status (i.e. Lesbian, gay, bi, etc), rather than just bunk everyone as LGBT+. I think it will help to highlight how few trans characters we have, and make it worthwhile/useful to help still supporting the community. BUT... that's not an easy task. I know Dermie is a fount of knowledge, but anyone is welcome to help categorise.

ON A POSITIVE NOTE: when this thread first began on old-CBR, it was actually still very possible to list every LGBT+ character, every LGBT+ kiss, etc. Now it's actually a lot harder, and I think that's amazing to know in just 10 years we have gone from (pretty absent bar a few comics -- mostly X-men comics); to actually being in a good numbers of comics every month. I mean we have a weekly "this week in gay", and we could NEVER have had that ten years ago (as most weeks would be "no-one appeared"). So yey... major progress.
    Well, we haven't had this week in gay for a while unfortunately. RIP Tiamatty.