View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
889. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.29%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.51%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.51%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.29%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

77 8.66%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.17%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.07%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.76%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

25 2.81%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.29%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.74%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.81%
Page 9 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319591095091009 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    What happened to them anyhow?
    Phylla succumbed to the curse of the Mar-Vells (be careful Teddy) and died. Moondragon went a bit mad, and pregnant and then DnA's run ended and they haven't been seen in the Bendis run
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    With Marvel cosmic getting a push recently, I wonder if Phylla and Moondragon might reappear again......?
    Here's hoping. I mean I don't read GoG; but they are (arguably) the most famous lesbian couple at Marvel; and I always support fans getting back the characters they love (even if I don't read the comic). Plus it would be great to finally get an LGBT character in the Marvel Film Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    They were cosmically powerful female characters in Guardians of the Galaxy. Then Bendis starting writing it, so it was back to 'we have space for a non-powered assassin chick.'
    To be fair to Bendis he's been pretty good at supporting LGBT characters. He created Victoria Hand and Benjamin Deeds (fulfilling his promise that one of his cast was LGBT -- take not Hickman!!!); and he brought Daken into the Dark Avengers, giving him a MAJOR profile boost and resulting in (arguably) the first ever LGBT solo series at Marvel. He's also made Billy Sorcerer Supreme in the future X-men; which is pretty cool.

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-05-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Last edited by Fokken; 06-05-2014 at 11:07 AM.

I think KF meant one where it'd actually be acknowledged.

At this stage, even comics wise, those two are pretty borderline. Loki is more by default because of the Tumblr folk and a comment from his current writer and Mystique was like, one woman, decades ago

Astonishing Member

Freedom Ring is my top. Poor dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Here's hoping. I mean I don't read GoG; but they are (arguably) the most famous lesbian couple at Marvel; and I always support fans getting back the characters they love (even if I don't read the comic). Plus it would be great to finally get an LGBT character in the Marvel Film Universe.

To be fair to Bendis he's been pretty good at supporting LGBT characters. He created Victoria Hand and Benjamin Deeds (fulfilling his promise that one of his cast was LGBT -- take not Hickman!!!); and he brought Daken into the Dark Avengers, giving him a MAJOR profile boost and resulting in (arguably) the first ever LGBT solo series at Marvel. He's also made Billy Sorcerer Supreme in the future X-men; which is pretty cool.
    He killed Victoria Hand at the end of his Avengers run. He also unceremoniously killed Jennifer Kale who was bisexual.

Mystique had an ongoing series long before Daken.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

The MCU isn't the same as the comic universe.
    As such there is no real reason to assume that Mystique in the MCU is actually bisexual. Same with Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    A little too much information there. ;P

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post

he got it in the bottom; literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    He killed Victoria Hand at the end of his Avengers run. He also unceremoniously killed Jennifer Kale who was bisexual.

Mystique had an ongoing series long before Daken.
    Jennifer Kale isn't necessarily dead. She seemed to teleport away. Easy enough for a writer to bring her back, if they want to. Which they should, because she's a neat character.

Mystique's actually not openly bisexual. Even her relationship with Destiny has never actually been stated, on-panel, as a romantic one. And Destiny's the only woman she's shown a real interest in. And the fact that she's supposed to be LGBT never came up at all during her solo run.

Mystique is arguably Marvel's most famous LGBT character, and she's still essentially in the closet about it. Mystique is, for all intents and purposes, straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Jennifer Kale isn't necessarily dead. She seemed to teleport away. Easy enough for a writer to bring her back, if they want to. Which they should, because she's a neat character.

Mystique's actually not openly bisexual. Even her relationship with Destiny has never actually been stated, on-panel, as a romantic one. And Destiny's the only woman she's shown a real interest in. And the fact that she's supposed to be LGBT never came up at all during her solo run.

Mystique is arguably Marvel's most famous LGBT character, and she's still essentially in the closet about it. Mystique is, for all intents and purposes, straight.
    Until its retconned Jennifer is dead. And so is Victoria. Meanwhile Daimon, the straight white guy lives. Bendis is not exactly the greatest ally

So America Chavez counts as a lesbian even though she's never called herself one or expressed actual interest in a woman, only saying she doesn't like guys. And it needed to be confirmed by Gillen on tumblr.

But Mystique is "straight" instead of bisexual because she mostly dates men? And her relationship with Destiny is "unconfirmed", even though they lived together for years and raised Rogue (who called them both mama) and its been confirmed by writers? Kind of a double standard there.

Mystique may never date another woman in our lifetime, but that doesn't make her straight. She doesn't stop being bisexual just because she sleeps with men.

Ultimate Member

Until its retconned Jennifer is dead. And so is Victoria. Meanwhile Daimon, the straight white guy lives. Bendis is not exactly the greatest ally

So America Chavez counts as a lesbian even though she's never called herself one or expressed actual interest in a woman, only saying she doesn't like guys. And it needed to be confirmed by Gillen on tumblr.

But Mystique is "straight" instead of bisexual because she mostly dates men? And her relationship with Destiny is "unconfirmed", even though they lived together for years and raised Rogue (who called them both mama) and its been confirmed by writers? Kind of a double standard there.

Mystique may never date another woman in our lifetime, but that doesn't make her straight. She doesn't stop being bisexual just because she sleeps with men.
    To be fair, I don't think a write necessarily has to have their characters just out and out say it for it to be true. In fact, that can actually be a bad thing at times. It's pretty damn obvious that MAC was a lesbian, a lot of people caught onto it pretty quickly. Just like a lot of people caught onto Wiccan and Hulkling being gay and in a relationship during the first YA series, before it was confirmed outright. It's called subtext, and hinting, and reading between the lines. And it can sometimes be more interesting then just having the characters say "I'm gay."

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    To be fair, I don't think a write necessarily has to have their characters just out and out say it for it to be true. In fact, that can actually be a bad thing at times. It's pretty damn obvious that MAC was a lesbian, a lot of people caught onto it pretty quickly. Just like a lot of people caught onto Wiccan and Hulkling being gay and in a relationship during the first YA series, before it was confirmed outright. It's called subtext, and hinting, and reading between the lines. And it can sometimes be more interesting then just having the characters say "I'm gay."
    Obvious how? She had two mothers so she must be a lesbian too? That's opening a whole can of worms. She barely talked to other female characters in the first 13 issues of YA and didn't have an actual conversation with Kate until the 14th. In the end all she said was that she didn't like boys. She never said she likes girls instead.

Just teasin' kids.

Obvious how? She had two mothers so she must be a lesbian too? That's opening a whole can of worms. She barely talked to other female characters in the first 13 issues of YA and didn't have an actual conversation with Kate until the 14th. In the end all she said was that she didn't like boys. She never said she likes girls instead.
    I wouldnt say it was obvious all the way through, but it was by the end.

By saying she doesn't like boys, she's made it canon clear to most she's a lesbian, which a lot more canon than Mystique's bisexuality has ever been explicitly made. The other option would be a-sexuality. Or animals.

With Jennifer, we never saw a body. We saw her teleport away. To me, it actually looked more like she teleported away in order to stay alive.

With Chavez, she did at least state that she's not interested in men. She could be gay, or she could be asexual. Gay is more likely, but asexuality is certainly a possibility, and until we get on-panel confirmation one way or the other, the best we can do is say she's not straight.

Right now, Mystique is basically "straight with an exception." There's nothing on-panel that actually confirms any sexual or romantic interest in women other than Destiny, while there's extensive evidence of romantic and sexual interest in men. And even her relationship with Destiny was largely subtext (partly because Destiny died before the ban on gay characters was lifted).

I'm not attracted to men. If I wind up falling in love with a guy, I'm still going to identify as straight, because I still wouldn't be attracted to men. That's the situation, right now, with Mystique, at least until some writer actually decides to put something on-panel that does confirm that, yes, she is, in fact, bisexual. She is, at the absolute best, a closeted bisexual.

And no, a woman doesn't stop being bisexual just because she sleeps with men. But when she exclusively sleeps with men, flirts exclusively with men, and otherwise shows an interest exclusively in men, then she definitely leans a lot more towards the straight end of the spectrum.